The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2002, 06:46 PM   #41
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

YES!!!! SAM!!!! I'm glad that some people love Sam! Some people say he's chunky, but all the better, I say! Sam is the best hobbit ever! He's the most upstanding and morally righteous hobbit in the Shire. SAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 04:44 PM   #42
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sam is such a welcoming charicter that putting him at the end of the movies is like saying: "Now come back next year"

At least that's the message I get. And just hearing his lines from the Trailor makes me want to see the movie.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:45 AM   #43
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I was at a jazz concert last Friday night, and the percussionist looks like a 6-foot version of Samwise. I asked for his autograph, and when he said "yes," he actually sounded like a soft spoken Sam.

Btw, he's the cutest in the band.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:41 PM   #44
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

Ack! Sam look alike! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] downloading the LOTR radio show and Sam sounds Perfect!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 AM   #45
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I love the BBC's radio version of LOTR and incidentially I fell in love with the actor who did Sam's voice in that version! William Nigh is his name and he did a really wonderful job in the radio version!

But as much as I enjoyed Nigh's interpetation of Sam, to me the only actor to play Sam on the big screen is Sean Astin as to me he is the perfect choice to play Sam even as Elijah Wood was the perfect choice to play Frodo!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #46
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

1420!

yes I agree, the only other person who could of done Frodo well is this guy at my school who loves LOTR, his name is Clay. Maybe I should tell him he looks like a Frodo,he even has curly hair! but its dark red. Might work though.........maybe we could make our own LOTR movie. Unabriged with Tom Bombadill incuded!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:43 PM   #47
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

hehe told the guy he looked liked frodo, tuned out i was the 8th person to say it!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 12:14 PM   #48
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

ack! i now have "the choices of Master Samwise" BBC radio episode on cd! Sam makes me giggle!
Old 10-20-2002, 04:55 PM   #49
Paul Willson

Ring

Sam is an loyalm devoted friend. OK a bit of a bumbler but when the chips are down I would rely on him to be there when needed
Paul [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 05:50 PM   #50
ColletteTook
Shade of Carn Dûm

ColletteTook has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ColletteTook Send a message via AIM to ColletteTook
1420!

*sniff* i think my favorite book part of Sam is when he starts singing the song about elves, and the other hobbits turn around suprised at his singing (cute little sam being so shy..HEHE! *goes into an involuntary giggling fit*) and he blushes and they make him sing the one about tom bombadil gettin' his boot stuck.....*coughs* well, you all read it.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:30 AM   #51
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

1420!

Sam is now the Barrow-Downs welcome page topic!!!!! I 'bout jumped out of my bright yellow boots when I saw Sam on the front page........I think I hugged my modem!
Old 10-22-2002, 01:27 PM   #52
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The new Samwise Gamgee theme is great!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:37 PM   #53
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SAM IS THE THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU BARROWWRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just had to get that out of my system. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

This had totally made my day.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the main page. I can't belive I had to choose which of Sam's traits I admired best!

Then I took the quiz and got a 90%. YAY!
Um..the only one I got wrong was the question that asked for Sam's other name. Where in the books is that mentioned?

What did you all get on the quiz?

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 10-26-2002, 08:48 AM   #54
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Rose, I don't think it is mentioned in the books. His real "hobbitish" name though is Banazîr "Ban" Galbasi. I'm pretty sure that's what his last name is at least. I saw these names and other words in the Hobbitish language on a website I found. If you want, I can pm you the link to it.

But I must congratulate you on the quiz. I only got 70%. I guess I need to go read more about Sam. He is soo cool!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:53 AM   #55
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

I got a 90 Dagit!! What is your real name Sam???????
Old 11-01-2002, 06:29 PM   #56
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LoL, I got 90% too...all but Sam's real name! I read it even, in the appendices. It's Banazir, I think, but I put Ran-something, which is the Gaffer's Hobbitish name. Why does everybody have to have at least two names in LotR??????

Sam rocks my socks. It's cool that so many other people like him--nobody else I know does, as much as I do.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-02-2002, 12:23 PM   #57
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I would love the link to that site Eruwen. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:36 AM   #58
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

OOH!! I got a cool sam AND Frodo site! here it is!frodo and sam!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #59
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

SAM RULES!!!
he is the character who holds the fellowship together and keeps their hopes up. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 11:17 AM   #60
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sam has been one of my very favorite characters for over 35 years, and I have to say that Sean Astin brought the Sam of my imagination to life on the screen.
In all my years of reading these books, I never once thought that Sam & Frodo's relationship was anything other than 2 very dear friends, friends that were willing to sacrifice anything, even their lives, for one another. The people that denigrate this friendship by saying Frodo & Sam are gay have obviously never had such a close friend.

I have many favorite "Sam" quotes, but this one always makes me cry.

"Where are you going, Master?" cried Sam, though at last he understood what was happening. "To the Havens, Sam," said Frodo. "And I can't come."

And of course, the very last line: "Well, I'm back," he said.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:35 PM   #61
Eruwen

Tolkien

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I found a great picture whuch represents the friendship of Frodo and Sam, and how Sam helps Frodo even when they aren't climbing a huge mountain of doorm. I thought it deserved to be shown on the "Sam board", so here it is.

I hope it works, for if it does, all of you Sam fans will see how sweet it is.

[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 06-22-2003, 06:21 PM   #62
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Thank you, Eruwen, that is a great picture.
Also, there is a site that is completely dedicated to Sam... you can find it at www.bitofearth.net - they do some great fundraising work there, and they even did a garden planting where Sean Astin helped out!
Old 06-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #63
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

first i gota say, orual I Love your signature.
Samwise Gamgee is the best charachter in all literature, which the acception of maybe Arthur Pendragon, but that aside, i just Adore Sam, and I would have no problem if he was gay [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] , even tho I know hes not [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
oh well and I think the most memerable line from any book has to be "Well, I'm Home" that makes me cry
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #64
Chris

Sting

Sam is my absolute favorite character. Without him, Frodo wouldn't have even have made it out of the Shire. In the book, Sam gathers the information about Frodo's leaving and gives it to Merry and Pippin. When Frodo can't go on, Sam carries him. Sam is the epitomy of friendship, love, loyalty, simplicity, and devotion. He thinks of others before himself and becomes a servant for others. I can't imagine anyone calling him stupid. Plus, isn't Sean Astin just the cutest guy to play him?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #65
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

*runs in a la Roadrunner* Sam fans? Oh yes, that definitely includes me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Tigerlily Gamgee posted my favorite part of the books on the first page - Sam's song in Cirith Ungol. *sniffle* Amazing...

Sam is my favorite character in LotR. Brave, loyal, with a nice sense of humor, and he's just so... hobbity. And how can you not love a gardener who recites poetry? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I think Sean Astin was the perfect choice for Sam. I saw the first movie before I read any of the books, and Astin just made me fall in love with the character. He's got that humble, hobbity (I need a new adjective for what I need to say in place of "hobbity" [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) image down-pat. He can go from wide-eyed gardener to loyal fighter perfectly, and yet he still retains that... hobbit-ness. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #66
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Oh, Miss Eruwen, that's lovely. I had a much smaller version of that pic in my files (I call it, "Lean on me"), but I'm replacing it with yours. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #67
Aredhel Ar Feiniel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel Ar Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, Samwise Gamgee. Who doesn't love Sam?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #68
samwise_gamgee_4eva

Pipe

I luv samwise gamgee & also sean astin, samwise haz such a great personality lol some timez he makes me cry, & i am really mad because i went to the shops to get a poster of samwise but they did'nt have any & i think samwise deserves to be on a poster since he is one of the main characters
Old 01-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #69
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I have an entire file full of Sam lines...or lines said about Sam, with a few Sean Astin quotes sprinkled in. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
“Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure.” said Sam.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #70
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam's the best [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I love how Tolkien made it so that Sam says the last spoken part at the end of each of the three books [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

He's my fav hobbit too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And was portrayed AWESOME in the movie [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(Where can I download the radio version?)
Old 01-31-2004, 01:35 PM   #71
Eruwen

Tolkien

Here, here to all of the recent fans of Sam. And in honor of his brilliant portayal in the ROTK movie, I give you a picture...or, at least, the link to a picture just to make sure I'm following the B-W's new pic rule.

The most heart-wrenching moment I had in ROTK

Also, in honor of the movie, I have begun a new series of signatures and avatars. I will do a different character each month, and I thought I'd start off the month of February with Sam.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #72
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

I LOVE Sam! He is certainly one of my favorite characters in the LOTR books and the movie as well.

He is sweet and polite. I love how he talks to Captain Faramir and Frodo. I also love the way he takes care of Frodo when he is getting worse because of the ring as they travel to Mordor. He is the coolest hobbit ever, and perhaps my very favorite character in the books as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #73
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

The website I posted a link to before is no more... BitofEarth.net is gone. Many things happened there that are unspeakable in the fan community and many of us were deceived...

but the good news is... a NEW Sam site has been created by the woman who created Sean-astin.net
SamwiseGamgee.net

And, here are some lovely Sam moments from ROTK:

Old 01-31-2004, 08:34 PM   #74
Eruwen

Tolkien

Oh, thank you so much, Tigerlily. I have been looking for pics from the Gray Havens for so long, but I have not been able to find any. The middle one is my favorite. Thank you again!!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #75
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OK, first things first:

Quote:
the next person that suggests in my presence that Sam is gay will be relieved of their heads personally by me!
I'm with you on that, Frodo! I don't have a problem with people being straight or gay per se in real life, but it bothers me when everyone assumes that two people of the same gender can't have a close friendship or even love between them without being gay.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, one of my favourite individual lines from Sam has been "Don't go where I can't follow" - it brings tears to my eyes every time. And I absolutely love Sam's song in the book, the one I take my signature from - he's always so hopeful! I love him! I think his hopefulness is equally important for me, if not more so - it's a major part of the reason why I love Sam as a character.

But my favourite scene in general is when Sam talks about whether they might get put into songs or tales one day. At that point in the movie, I always start laughing, because they *are* in a story. Then they start talking about parents telling the story of Frodo and the ring to their children, and I remember how my dad read the book to me when I was young. Then Frodo says his whole "I want to hear more about Sam" line and it always makes me smile, because that was me when I was young. Sam was always my favourite. Wonderful, wonderful Sam.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #76
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Oh, Miss Tigerlily! Thank you SO much! I and the ladies on my own LOTR board have been looking for that 'cap of Frodo kissing Sam on the head...that is SOOO positively sweet!!! *has to get Kleenex* Thank you! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #77
samwise_gamgee_4eva

Tolkien

I think it is very unfair that samwise gamgee (Sean Astin) does'nt even get a poster, i tried to find one at the shops but they said they did'nt have any
-_-
Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 PM   #78
Elanor the Fair
Pile O'Bones

Elanor the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Yeah Sam has been my favorite character since the first time that I saw the movie. Then when I read the books I fell in love with him even more! Funny, the only problem that I saw in the Hobbit was that Sam was not in it! Where I live, I am surrounded by legolas or Froto fans so I don't have any one to talk to. Even if I try to bring up a conversation about Sam my friends would say the 'O' word. (obsession)

There are many things about sam that I admire, such as of coarse his loyalty and bravery. But also his courage and honesty. I even tried to write an English paper on the person that we admire the most, but it had to be an acttural person.

I am totally against the whole Sam is gay thing. I mean, Sam loved Frodo but not in that kind of way; it was in a brotherly way. Plus it wouldn't make since with the fact that he married Rosie. They were just very close friends that's all.

And one of my most favorite lines are "If I can't carry it for you, I'll carry you" (I may have not gotten the wordinf right on that) and of coarse the" Well, I'm back." line!

I do really hope that people will start giving Sam the respect that he deserves. I have started at my school by turning SOME of my friends into "sam fans" as I like to call them!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #79
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

samwise7 has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a big Sam fan.

I like that he is simple, honest, and a true friend from the start to the end. He's steadfast, caring, and is as tough as a doornail. He never gives up, and strives to finish the quest beyond hope.

He's one of my heroes of literature, and I think, a good role model.

Dumb people can be admired too.

See my signature below.
A sane being would have given up, but Samwise burned with a magnificent madness; a growing obsession to surmount every obstacle. He knew he would try again, fail perhaps, and try once more, a thousand thousand times if need be.
samwise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #80
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Samwise, that is a very interesting signature! Did you write it yourself or is it a quote by someone else?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote