The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2002, 03:56 PM   #41
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

What's the difference between a fallen Angel and a fallen Vala? Both are no longer in the Divine Host and both have tried and failed numerous times to corrupt the world.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:58 PM   #42
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ooo, got me there. That's completely true...anyway we better stay on topic
Old 12-15-2002, 04:35 PM   #43
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Major question science is supposed to answer, is "how?". It, by definition, is not supposed, and can not, answer question "why?"
Heren, I’m beginning to think you have read Etienne Gilson [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, that is why the scientist can not find God, but that isn’t a negative criticism of the scientist. What I don’t understand is the argument against God based on natural science. The big bang, evolution, or the rigidity of stained underwear are no proof for or against the existence of God, they don’t, by their very nature, even broach the issue.

Burrahobbit is right when he says that Eru is the Christian God, but only because Eru was conceived by a Christian. After all, Mattius is right, Eru was created by JRRT, but in the image and likeness (pardon the pun) of the God of revelation.

So…

Quote:
Methinks that the Universe was around forever, never created, never will be destroyed, and maybe Eru just evolved, graduated from the universal MIT, and created a laboratory world.
…may be true, if you are a Greek, but is not true of Eru, because Eru, as opposed to Aristotle’s unmoved movers, is conceived by a Christian and resembles that Christian’s God.

Quote:
Thankfully, such questions are side-stepped in Tolkien's universe.
But seeing the pains that JRRT went through in the composition of the Silm to say that Eru created ex nihilo seems to indicate that he did not side-step the issue. “…intentionally in the revision…” Haunting words for those who don’t want to deal with these themes in Tolkien.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. The scientific properties of energy in no way prove an infinite chain of causality. Both first and final causality are based on the metaphysical concept of mutability, and not on an empirical observation of physical causes (that would be just plain silly). Energy, as described by physics is probably the most mutable thing out there, and thus most of all subject to first and final causality.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:51 PM   #44
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Check HoME (I think VII, or maybe VIII):

Quote:
Istari = Angels
There is also a reference to other times JRRT has referred to the Ainur as Angels.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:29 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

No, Bill, I haven't. Though I would like ion case you provide me with the link or something [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Galorme

Istari=Angels on philological grounds as well as are paralleled with their status. Since Angel means messenger in Greek, and Istari are referred to as messengers of the Valar in several places.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:57 AM   #46
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Links to Etienne Gilson: This page contains a brief biography. Here's an example from my favorite book. And here is a bit of a bibliography .
Old 12-17-2002, 06:43 AM   #47
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!