The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **ANNOUNCEMENT - closing of the Books forum**

Dear fellow Barrow-Downers,

Due to the number of duplicate topics that have been posted recently, the Books forum will be closed for renovation the next two weeks. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this measure might cause; please be patient and enjoy the other fora in the meantime! Thanks.

Estelyn, Books forum moderator
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Ah, Estelyn, tell us this is just an April Fool....
Old 04-01-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A VERY good idea. I will make no secret of my displeasure at the 'decline' of the Book section in recent weeks. Not that some of the topics havent' been good/generated intresting dicussion it just seems that they are getting repititve. thank you.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While I have noticed a certain stagnation [it is a periodic inevitability I think] I do hope it is a wee bit of April foolery!

If not I look forward to seeing what results.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:33 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Yes. And Viggo Mortensen is painting my toe-nails as I type this post.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ho ho ho...
You almost got me.

By the way, shouldn't a certain moderator be closing this topic? The books is for serious discutions of Tolkiens books.

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Salocin ]
Old 04-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

This has happened before so I'm thinking she's serious...
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #8
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Oh well, Im sure they had something like april fools day in the Shire, probably everyday! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #9
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If this was serious I am sure she would have had enough sense not to anounce this of April Fool's day. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 11:24 PM   #10
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Oh boy, I hope so.....I rather enjoy my daily stint of reading posts in the books forum...
Old 04-02-2003, 12:12 AM   #11
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I just have one question Estelyn: Is it just to sweep away those closed threads (most of them duplicate threads I deem), or will older threads be thrown out too? I don't think that the older threads will be, but I am just making sure. Go ahead and call me a worrywart if you want [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . If they are going to be got rid of, I have to object.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I wonder if anyone told Estelyn, that if you don't tell the people that you tricked that it was a prank by noon, its bad luck! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 09:47 PM   #13
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Uh...this better not be 4 real because that would just totally destroy ANY seriousness in my day...and has anyone else seen he TORn April Fools, I mean, I screamed, really loud till I figured out It was an April Fools (because I live in NZ we are like 12 hrs ahead of most of you guys and I got it on 2nd of April)
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

OK, OK, I admit, it was an April Fools' Day joke! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I confess, I did enjoy the worried reactions of a few. If I had lots of time on my hands, the idea would tempt me, though it would be a Herculean task, I fear...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 AM   #15
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Sting

HAHA, good one.....well now you either have to close this or move it, since it is not a serious discussion about the books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #16
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You got me, Although two weeks didn't seem that bad, plus I saw it April 2.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #17
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

I have to admit that I stayed away from the boards for two days because of this announcement, even though I saw the April Fool's comments from others. I figured I had better get out so I don't screw anything up. Bummed! Two days of not enjoying the boards. I hope you feel guilty! Nya nya nya! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #18
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Boots

Ha, ha, ha funny! You really had me there. And you are not the person to joke so I didn’t know what to say lol..
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol very good one!!! I like your sense of humor!!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #20
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heh. Actually, Estelyn, the Books section could use a FAQ. It would make sense to have a sticky discussion(closed) with the answers to some of the more frequent offenders, (what makes goblins and orcs different, what happened to the blue wizards, etc.), and a warning against starting certain topics that lead to endless argument(What Was Tom Bombadil, or Do Balrogs Have Wings).

And it wouldn't require closing.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Meoshi ]
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:51 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The idea isn't bad, Meoshi, except that it seems those people who would most benefit from an FAQ thread are the very ones who do not read it! (That is what happens with the Forum FAQ thread on the Novices and Newcomers forum.) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]