The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #921
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
All held the Ring at some point?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #922
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Azaghâl has just left Hobbiton.
You're on the right track. I can hardly say more without giving it away.
Azaghâl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #923
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
almost the same

They all used the ring?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #924
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
They all used the ring?
"wore" would be a better term. bombadil didn't actually use it, the way the Ring is meant to be used--to turn invisible.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #925
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Many people besides the four I listed did hold, use or wear the Ring. There is something quite unique concerning these four people and the Ring (though a fifth person might arguably be added to the list).
Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #926
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What about the fact that they willingly gave the ring to somebody else when they had it?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #927
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If Legate's not right...

The ring didn't completely take them over?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #928
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

As it happens, Legate is right. Your turn now.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #929
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ah, I hoped that won't happen I won't be around the next week to see the results. But I think I might post it anyway and just hope that my question will be once again one of those hard enough to guess Let's see if I'll succeed.

What do those have in common:

Old Took
Bungo Baggins
Drogo Baggins
Gaffer Gamgee
Glóin

You may just keep guessing, and then we shall see.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #930
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
They are all ancestors of people in the fellowship?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #931
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that Eonwe has got this one, but I'll just go ahead and guess anyway. Could it be that they are all short?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #932
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Bungo Baggins? Bilbo wasn't part of the Fellowship... who was he related to?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 AM   #933
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Bungo Baggins? Bilbo wasn't part of the Fellowship... who was he related to?
Good point.

Could it be that they are all related to people in the fellowship?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #934
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope, neither of the answers presented here is correct (as for them being short, they were, but then, there were many others who were. All Dwarves and Hobbits, in particular).

Seems it's working this far

If you choose to, I may give you a minor hint to point you in a certain direction.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #935
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
All of them had at least one child and I non of them died in battle. . .

really I have no idea, maybe you should give that hint

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #936
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

In some way, you are aiming the right direction, Rune. Anyway, I will tell you that it's a thing which is specific only for them, but not of all the people, beings, whatever in M-E, but from Dwarves and Hobbits. So, that is the beginning of the answer. What do these have in common: "Of all the Dwarves and Hobbits..." There's an important hint in this fact, if you think of it.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #937
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Well, of all the Dwarves and Hobbits, those five are the only (known) ones who had a son who went to sea.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #938
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good, good! That was exactly it. Okay, your thread now Well done!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #939
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

To think that I spend hours reading to figure out the answe for that quiz and never got it. . .

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #940
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
To think that I spend hours reading to figure out the answe for that quiz and never got it.
Ah, but you know, that sometimes happens even to the best of us

...while that doesn't say anything about you, of course, but...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #941
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*bump* Azaghâl? Are you around?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #942
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
*bump* Azaghâl? Are you around?
I also thought about "bumping" this thread earlier, but decided that I should stick to only a few threads.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #943
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Bumping doesn't do the trick, you just need a fresh start:

So what do strawberries, Hobbits and the Eotheod have in common?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #944
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Since I couldn't think of any good answer in the last two days, I will post the first thing that occured to me when I saw this, but it is far from an actual answer.

The only thing I thought of is that they have something to do with straw, like straw-berries, or for the Eotheod, being called straw-heads. No idea what could it be with the hobbits, though.

I also thought it may have something to do with the year 1420 SR.

Any close, Miggy? Or, any hints?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #945
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well interesting ideas, but as you would say in my place, it actually is something simple. But I'm sure you'll figure it out.

So as a hint, it has nothing to do with etymology or anything.

I really cannot think of any other hints which would help, but would not spoil it as well.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #946
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, I have a question about the strawberries. Does this have to do with strawberries in general, or with some quality or aspect of them that is seen in Tolkien's works?

(Goodness, that does sound silly, phrased like that. I was just wondering.)

But I'm rather clueless. The only thing that pops into my mind that they were all misused or misrepresented in the movies, but they have that in common with just about everything else.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #947
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Umm, well, it is smething particular to Tolkien's world, yes.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #948
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
They're good with whipped cream?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #949
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

That answer almost deserves a free win... almost. No, as you probably expected. No, it really isn't any nonsense, it really is a fact. Still funny answer though!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #950
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, this might be be a bit far-fetched, but strawberries I know have their seeds on the outside. This might be aligned with the Dunlendings name for the Rohirrim: "strawheads", and perhaps Might is thinking that hobbits are prickly or have curly hair or something. Bizarre I know, but perhaps I'm right.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #951
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
But I'm rather clueless. The only thing that pops into my mind that they were all misused or misrepresented in the movies, but they have that in common with just about everything else.
My goodness, Miggy, I hope it has nothing to do with the movies! In that case, I'd boycott the answer
Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #952
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, nothing as complicated that. And not from the movies.

A tip: It's Eotheod, not Rohirrim.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #953
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They all originated in the Anduin Vales Though I have never read the "M-E book of the origin of plants".

The other things that occured to me were that they are favoured to be eaten by Gollum (but that would not concern the Éotheod, and who knows if Gollum ate strawberries), or eaten by Gríma (but again, you say that it's Éotheod, not Rohirrim, and I am not aware of that he'd eat Rohirs anyway, and who knows if he liked strawberries, too).

Besides that, I have no idea
Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #954
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Yes, you're right with the Anduin Vales!

It was simple as that.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #955
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ah Okay...

In that case, hmm...

What do Legolas and Saruman have in common?

(It is the thing which, based only on the evidence of the books, only the two of them have in common, as far as I know.)
Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #956
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Wow, that's a hard one since I can't imagine where to start looking.
Apparently they had little to do with each other, but surely there is something if you say so.

The problem is a lot is said in the books about them and if they are the only ones to have it in common then it must be some minor detail hard to find.

Ummm... maybe the fact they both heard that Hasufel and Arod had met Shadowfax that night near Fangorn Forest?

I know it's a strange answer, but nothing else comes to mind right now.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #957
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, that is not what I am looking for.

I understand that it is a hard one, and I am actually trying to think of how to give a hint which way to look without giving away too much.

Hmm... I think I may as well leave it for a while, that with chance, you may think of it on your own. And if after let's say a day or two people still seem at loss, I may give a bit of a direction.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #958
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay I'm still thinking about Legolas and Saruman, but I have a question about the previous riddle. Just, out of mere curiousity, where does it say that strawberries are from the Anduin Vales? I thought about an explanation like that too but rejected it because I didn't remember anything like that about strawberries...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #959
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Just, out of mere curiousity, where does it say that strawberries are from the Anduin Vales? I thought about an explanation like that too but rejected it because I didn't remember anything like that about strawberries...
I actually wondered about it yesterday too, but then I concluded that Miggy probably meant just the fact that they were growing in the Anduin Vales: Bilbo ate some after he got out of the Goblin tunnels and was hungry.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #960
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed, it only meant they existed there, not that they were from the Anduin Vales as nor were the Eotheod nor the Hobbits for that matter.