The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #3641
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, Eruin!

We're all Tokien geeks here, to some extent, so feel at home!

I think I've been through eight or so online courses of Sindarin and Quenya, and all of them have contradictive information. And neither really does the job. So don't worry about your elvish!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #3642
SlverGlass
Pile O'Bones

SlverGlass has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Hello.

Mae Govannen. I am SlverGlass. I am a MBA student and an ardent Tolkien fan.

I love reading and Tolkien's works have captured my heart and mind like none other. I was glad to find this site where there are so many who share this same passion.

This is my first time on a discussion forum and I could only hope that people will excuse me if I do anything stupid. Namarie.
SlverGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #3643
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, SlverGlass! As long as you read the Guidelines for Forum Posting I'm sure you won't do anything embarrassing. Have fun!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #3644
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome, SlverGlass!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #3645
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, SilverGlass!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #3646
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlverGlass View Post
This is my first time on a discussion forum and I could only hope that people will excuse me if I do anything stupid. Namarie.
Don't worry, most of us do incredibly stupid things (such as gawking at a Tolkien site instead of concentrating on our work/homework). Welcome to the Downs!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #3647
oddkins
Pile O'Bones

oddkins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Hi - another newbie here!

Long time Tolkien fan from the time my teacher read The Hobbit to us at primary school. Graduated to LotR, UT and The Silmarillion eventually - currently re-reading that alongside the relevent parts of HoMe with Arda Reconstructed as my quick-reference guide, and gaining a new appreciation for Tolkien's masterpiece. Looking forward to checking out the "New Silmarillion" project threads. Loved the movies for what they got right, (gritted teeth over the worst trespasses) and pretty excited to see if they can get The Hobbit right this time!

Particularly interested in musical depictions of M-e, and also Tolkien artwork, and book illustration in general.

Hope you'll forgive any faux pas I might inadvertantly make as I get used to the way of doing things on this site.
oddkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #3648
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, SlverGlass and oddkins! Enjoy being dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Don't worry, most of us do incredibly stupid things (such as gawking at a Tolkien site instead of concentrating on our work/homework)
Let alone play at eating or lynching each other, pretend to be denizens of Middle-earth for entertainment, indulge in Gandalf-uncloaks-jokes at the slightest provocation, and on occasion, horribile dictu, even marry each other. I trust you'll feel at home here!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #3649
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, oddkins!

Enjoy your conversations with fellow Tolkien geeks! Don't worry about getting something done wrong (I think we've all done that here some time), everything could be fixed... well, almost everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddkins View Post
...pretty excited to see if they can get The Hobbit right this time!
Hopefully they'll get some stuff right, but some of the screwed-up things are known already. There's lots of that in the "Movies" forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
Don't worry, most of us do incredibly stupid things (such as gawking at a Tolkien site instead of concentrating on our work/homework).
Too true, lol! Like what I'm doing now!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #3650
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hopefully they'll get some stuff right.
As long as they get more stuff right than they did in the trilogy.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #3651
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
As long as they get more stuff right than they did in the trilogy.
And less stuff wrong.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #3652
hankpac
Newly Deceased

hankpac has just left Hobbiton.
Hank here

New to this forum. Read the LOTR aloud one winter back in 1974, when we had not much to do, and were snowed in for a few weeks.
It gave us a deeper feeling for the characters, and for the Author himself.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #3653
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, hankpac! Have fun discussing your - and our - favorite author!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #3654
Ariel
Newly Deceased

Ariel has just left Hobbiton.
So this looks like a nice forum for discussing the works of Tolkien; I have many interests including (but not limited to) Middle-Earth and hopefully will have something to contribute here. Feel free to PM if you'd like to know anything else, I'm not too good at intro threads
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #3655
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Ariel. This is without doubt the best Tolkien forum I've come across, and I'm sure you'll find a lot to pique your interest.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #3656
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Ariel!

I can only second Inzil's statement that the Downs is by far the best Tolkien forum I've seen. There is lots of different stuff to do here, so there's lots to contribute to!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #3657
Nolwë_Namiel
Pile O'Bones

Nolwë_Namiel has just left Hobbiton.
This site was recommended to me by another member, LadyBrooke. I am somewhat Silcentric in terms of my Tolkienmania, but I do enjoy the trilogy as well.
Nolwë_Namiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #3658
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Ariel and Nolwë! I'll third what Zil and G55 said, and what we tell you three times is true. Make yourselves at home and enjoy being dead!

PS.- Gorgeous avatar, Nolwë!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #3659
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Nolwe! Enjoy being dead with us!

I can't say that I'm Silcentered, but I know The Sil much better than LOTR... probably because it's shorter...

Like Pitch said, your avatar is stunning!

You reminded me how my friend, who I goaded into making an account here, disappeared after one post. It's a shame I haven't seen him since then, but he should be prepared for a gale the next time we meet... So, my point: please don't disappear!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #3660
Nolwë_Namiel
Pile O'Bones

Nolwë_Namiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the nice welcome! As Brooke will tell you, I don't disappear easily .....
Nolwë_Namiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #3661
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
She doesn't disappear. It's far more likely that I'll disappear then Nolwe will....and I just know I'm going to have trouble calling you that, and not ES.

I'm finally finished with high school, and don't start college until next Janurary...so I'll try to be on here more then once in a blue moon. *insert embarrassed smiley here*
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #3662
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome Nolwë and welcome back LadyBrooke! I hope you both have fun here.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #3663
Banthro
Newly Deceased

Banthro has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, this forum was recommended to me by a member on another forum I am on. It's always great to meet a large Tolkien fan-base, and I hope to frequent these forums often. I have always been a Tolkien fan, and recently I have joined in a project to build Middle-Earth with another large group of Tolkien fans (the other forum group) on the game of Minecraft. We are well versed in the lore and geography and would like to contribute to this forum with anything you do not know (although from the looks of this forum, I think it may be the other way round!)
Banthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #3664
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Banthro, and enjoy being dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banthro
and would like to contribute to this forum with anything you do not know (although from the looks of this forum, I think it may be the other way round!)
Can be both, can't it?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #3665
little angel
Newly Deceased

little angel has just left Hobbiton.
Hello. I am very new and I wanted to say hello. I have been a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien for years.
little angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #3666
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome aboard, little angel! Glad to see more Tolkien fans and not spammers here! Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #3667
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Greetings! I'm back, but I'll introduce myself properly, as I doubt many remember me:

Hi, I'm Finduilas, called Findy (when I'm too lazy to type the full name). I've been a Tolkien fan since a young age when my older brother read The Hobbit out-loud to our family. At age 10 I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time, and I've read it 7 times since (I have a habit of rereading books I like).

I joined the Downs several years ago, and left as life got busy. Life has gotten busier, but I think I can handle it better. I was encouraged to join back up for the purpose of RPGing, but I'm sure I'll interact in other places.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #3668
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Hello, Finduilas!

I don't believe I was active here myself when you were around, but welcome back!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #3669
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back, Finduilas!

I don't believe I was around either when you were, but I recognise you from some older threads.

There was a relatively recent change in the RPG forum... you'll see for yourself. And the games are as good as ever!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #3670
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hey Findy. I just strolled back in myself.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #3671
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
I just strolled back in myself.
Welcome back!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #3672
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back, Cabbie! How about some WW?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #3673
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Welcome back, Finduilas and McCobbler!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #3674
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
Greetings! I'm back, but I'll introduce myself properly, as I doubt many remember me:
I do!!! Welcome back! Glad you are able to rejoin us - especially to RPG.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #3675
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Welcome back, Cabbie! How about some WW?
Ha, maybe next game. We'll see if I have time then for it.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #3676
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Welcome back Findy and Cabbie! Good to see you back.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #3677
rriebsomer
Newly Deceased

rriebsomer has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Introduction

Hi. I'd like to be called Willow and I identify mostly with the Hobbits. We Hoosiers are a lot like them.

I am a member of the Mythopoeic Society. I have become someone who is fascinated by the scholarly critiques of Tolkien while remaining someone who deeply appreciates the stories written by Tolkien.

I'm hoping to find people at this site with whom I can share my appreciation of Tolkien's legendarium.

Willow
Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #3678
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome to the Downs, rriebsomer! Or, should I say Willow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriebsomer View Post
I'm hoping to find people at this site with whom I can share my appreciation of Tolkien's legendarium.
I'm sure you'll find more than enough!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3679
Anaarkhal
Newly Deceased

Anaarkhal has just left Hobbiton.
intro

Hello. I poked around this site around 2003 when the fervor for the LotR movies was climaxing, eventually going on to make use of every feature on the site. I found it very enjoyable.

I arbitrarily thought of this site at work yesterday and decided to check it out. I was sad to see that there haven't been any updates since 2004 but alternately excited to see the forums relatively alive.

I guess personal excitement and anticipation for the Hobbit movie releases over the next couple years is what brought this site to mind.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #3680
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back, Anaarkhal!

Relatively alive? Oh no! Dead as always!