The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #1
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Bits and pieces

When seeing ROTK again I noticed a few things I hadn't noticed before.
One of them is in the in Edoras when Theoden and his companions drink to the 'victorious dead'. Everybody raises their cups and shouts "Hail!" then drinks. Aragorn pauses a little though before drinking from his cup, as though troubled by some memory. What do you suppose he was thinking about? And why put that in?
Also, can anyone add some 'bits and pieces' from ROTK that are unnoticeable at first, but that are cool to watch for once you've spotted them, or that had been bugging you as to what they might mean?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
It could be he was thinking aout Haldir, or that he realised that (for him at least) the war was not over and that there would be many more deaths. We'll have to wait until Jackson explains in the commentary on the EE I suppose.

Other bits I've noticed:

How much gollum looks like Andy Serkis just before they go into Shelob's tunnel. It is stunning.

How Jackson has taken the pictures Alan Lee for the centenary edition of the LOTR book, and used in the movie. The steps leading up to Cirith Ungol where Frodo's attacked by Shelob is one. (Helm's Deep wall being another).
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
The pictures thing reminded me of another one: in Rivendell, when Arwen goes to look at the shards of Narsil, you can see some pictures on the walls: are they pictures anyone recognizes? Because they look quite familiar to me. Maybe also by Alan Lee?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Well I don't think we'll ever really know who Aragorn is thinking about. But everytime I see the scene where Aragorn raises his cup, I personally always think of Haldir, especially because he should have never died in the first place.

Well, yes, the pictures in Rivendell should look familiar because they are by Alan Lee. He actually just won an Oscar for Best Art Direction because of his involvement with the films. And they were also featured in Fellowship
Old 03-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
My favourite item that may just fall within the 'bits and pieces' category is Theoden at the battle of Pelannor. He has just driven off the orcs (with his men, of course), and hears the horns of the Easterlings; he turns and gives this wonderful 'oh what now?' expression, and then later, when the Witch-king turns up, he gives another, even more exasperated 'what do I have to do to win this damn battle' expression. Simply wonderful.
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

I'd say Aragorn paused...well...just because he wanted to recollect on some fact! Anyway, i'm sure PJ had a good reason

Funny Moment: During the crowning of Elessar, right after Gandalf puts the crown on Aragorn's head and there is a wide shot, you can see that Gandalf is wearing tennis shoes!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Althern - that's a cool bit. Reminds me of the scene in TTT when it started raining and Theoden looked up as in 'Oh great - just what we needed now!'

About that Aragorn scene - thinking about it, I get the impression he was reminded of Boromir. And it ties up with the fact that he thinks he'll be meeting Denethor soon, and will have to give him news of his son's death. That alone would explain his troubled look very well...

I got another thing that's not necessarily cool but has been bugging me alright: In Edoras, when Aragorn asks Gandalf: 'No news of Frodo?' and Gandalf responds 'Not a word' - exactly what sort of news were they expecting, and through whom? Telepathic maybe - or a call perhaps??
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes. Woot-Woot for Boromir the Disco King.

Um... anyway, did anyone see the car by the lake near Minas Tirith? I was told it was there but three times I did not see it.

Oh yes, and how adorable was Deagol?

Does Andy Serkis look like Jack Black to anyone else or is it just because of the Council of Elrond thing?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #9
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
I always attributed Aragorn's pause to the fact that Theoden speaks of the "victorious" dead. At this point, Sauron still reigns and Aragorn does not know what has become of Frodo. Since there is still considerable potential for Sauron to win the war, then, I always imagined Aragorn was reflecting on whether the dead could really be called "victorious" yet and what responsibility he had for making sure they really were victorious (which would not be the case if they died fighting for Rohan only to have Sauron defeat the race of Men at Pelennor). I rather imagine him making a silent vow renewing his commitment to the war, something to the effect that he would honour those who died at Helm's Deep (perhaps especially Haldir and anyone else he might have known who died) by making sure Sauron was defeated and their deaths were not in vain.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
There was just one thing I really noticed and thats whenever the Rohirrim go into battle - as in actually fighting and sticking swords into things - there is no music at all, just the sounds of the battle.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #11
Garulf
Pile O'Bones

Garulf has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This is pretty obvious, but the leader of the orcs in the Battle of the Pellenor Fields (Gothmog?) has a startling resemblance to Sloth from The Goonies. When I was watching it for the first time I actually yelled out "HEEEY YOOOU GUUUYS!" Now that I think about it Sean Astin was the main character of The Goonies! Maybe he got the creature creator to do him a favor and get his misfigured friend a cameo
Old 03-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
I know my thought is a little less philisophical, but I automatically assumed that Aragorn paused before drinking because he wasn't one of the Rohirrim, yet he was in their hall in their country and embracing their customs, so to speak. It wasn't his fellow countrymen who were dead.
It seems rather stupid now, but I thought that every time I watched it.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #13
Erinti

Something that's been bothering me....where did Elrond go after he delivered anduril to Aragorn? He turns up again in Minas Tirith, but where was he before that? Did i miss something?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe he went back to Rivendell...