The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2003, 03:37 AM   #1
Thallassa

Sting Holding on to the little good in this world!

I want to comment about the speech Sam gives in the film when they are at Osgiliath ...it brought tears to the eyes of many and well all the more emphasised Tolkein's powerful relevant book in today's world..it just made me think of th ewars in our world..the Palestinians and israel, and the war against terrorism. PJ really managed to take out all human emotions and display them perfectly n screen. I even convinced my Father of this..and now he is a great criticiser!!<BR>All that environmental human touch and all!! It is true that the ents were dissapointing..but pj managed to extract the love for what is 'good and green' in this world.<BR>THe film impressed me on these terms..and i really would spend hours and hours seeing it again and again if i only had the time.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that sams speech reflects everyones true feelings, whether they admitt it or not. Good on im!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Sam is such a good, emotional speaker.<P>Burzdol
Old 05-27-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think Sam's speech reflected how Tolkien truly felt about the world. He was not a fatalistic man. He wanted to believe in the world that we all live in. Even when he saw his favorite childhood haunts being torn down and developed, he still continued to believe in the good in this world. I think that is definitely something to admire. Very few of us remember how good the Earth is, and that we have to help it remain good. It isn't just going to stay like that forever. With all this technology, I think that humankind is beginning to forget where it came from. Mother Nature nourished us when we were young, and now, when it needs us the most, we are abandoning it. I think Tolkien's books illustrate that point very well, and his love of all things "green and good in this world" came into his writing. He passed that torch into our hands, and now we have to bear it for future generations.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Finwe, that was beautiful, you speech was almost as good as Sam's <BR>I agree with everything all of you are saying. When I first saw the movies (this was before I had read the books, long story...) I was amazed how everything reflected current events even though Tolkien hated comparing the stories to today. Actually one time Sean Astin said that the speech was one of the things that was done during the re-shoots, and he thought it was something that the president would probably say.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was a very nice speech. Can't wait to see what he says in Rotk. No doubt this time it'll take up a good third of the film.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are actually people who thought that part was cheesy But I for one, love it. It was so beautiful and they way they choreographed the rest of the scenes with it was wonderful! And so true, if only more people had the same mindset as Samwise, what would the world be like?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> There are actually people who thought that part was cheesy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*tiptoes away...*<P>Well, not cheesy... but soppy speeches ain't my thing, really.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:02 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'm sorry about the whole impromptu speech thing. I tend to do that when I'm talking about things that I feel very strongly about. Of course, it's also probably because I've been reading too much Tolkien (if that's possible!). <BR>I'm known as the Instant Speech-Maker at my school. If someone needs to make a speech, or a persuasive presentation, they always come running to me, because I'm good with things like that. In fact, just the other day I used the "Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?" on a parent who was trying to get a couple of books banned (Stranger in a Strange Land and Brave New World). <BR>My reasoning was that you can't hide things from children forever, so banning books with sex in them from school won't accomplish anything. It will only cause a new generation of repressed people. No parent wants their kid to turn out as a repressed psychopath. Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for? '<BR>Needless to say, the parent backed down after that!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:06 PM   #10
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
I loved Sam's speech at the then end!!!It made me feel so sad and it was so touching, it really did make me cry
Old 06-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

It may have been touching, but it shouldn't have been there.<BR>That's why I didn't really listen to it fully concentrated. I was so upset with the changes of the plot that I wanted to leave the theatre. I didn't, of course.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #12
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Sam's speech reflected how Tolkien truly felt about the world. He was not a fatalistic man. He wanted to believe in the world that we all live in. Even when he saw his favorite childhood haunts being torn down and developed, he still continued to believe in the good in this world. I think that is definitely something to admire. Very few of us remember how good the Earth is, and that we have to help it remain good. It isn't just going to stay like that forever. With all this technology, I think that humankind is beginning to forget where it came from. Mother Nature nourished us when we were young, and now, when it needs us the most, we are abandoning it. I think Tolkien's books illustrate that point very well, and his love of all things "green and good in this world" came into his writing. He passed that torch into our hands, and now we have to bear it for future generations.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wow... that's just... wow. Beautifully put, Finwe. <P>Yes, I agree that Sam's speech was just incredible. It was the best part of TTT movie for me, making up for the fact that they were in Osgiliath in the first place. Even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the book (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it just seemed so Samwise to me. I don't think I'll ever hear enough praise for Sean Astin's performance in that scene.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And so true, if only more people had the same mindset as Samwise, what would the world be like? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yes, it would be a far better place, I think. Maybe it's just the Samwise fanatic in me talking, but I've always thought that everyone should strive to be a lot like Sam. Not exactly like him, but close.<P>Probably just me, though... <p>[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #13
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohhh, no, you've got it all wrong! The priceless part was the look of hurt on <B>Frodo's</B> face after Sam's precious little speech. *malicious giggling* I love it.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #14
Sindalomewen36

Tolkien

It made me cry too. i thought it was so true, and from his heart. (sniffle sniffle)
Old 06-14-2003, 03:31 PM   #15
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It may have been touching, but it shouldn't have been there.<BR>That's why I didn't really listen to it fully concentrated. I was so upset with the changes of the plot that I wanted to leave the theatre. I didn't, of course. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Agreed. I didn't fully enjoy TTT because of the injustice done to the ents, the changes to Faramir, etc. The last fourth/fifth of the movie I just spent shaking my head, wondering why PJ would do those things. Sam's speech, though touching, felt corny. At that point, I wanted to see Gandalf and Pippin (Or was it Merry?) racing with the Palantir. Not Sam being cute.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:41 AM   #16
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The last fourth/fifth of the movie I just spent shaking my head, wondering why PJ would do those things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Exactly how I felt, especially after that silly Haldir-dies-tragically scene.<BR>But, of course, Sam's speech was touching, but to be honest I can't remember the text, because I haven't seen the movie for quite some time. But I remember a scene in the books which is I believe more or less the same as in the movie (only at a different location, thanks PJ) which goes to the heart. I wonder how it will be in RotK in the end, when the ring is cast into the fire.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:21 AM   #17
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Sam's speech was very touching. It was the best line in the movies so far.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>Frodo</B>: I can't do this Sam!<P><B>Sam</B>: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn't. Because they were holding on to something.<P><B>Frodo</B>: What are we holding on to Sam?<P><B>Sam</B>: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #18
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Sam speech made up for almost everything... Well I know they had to go somewhere (why not Osgiliath) if they had to cut the movie were they did but still it was a bad thing to do. Sams speech makes me cry every time no matter how many times I've seen it. True it was maybe a little on the corny side but a heartbreaking preformance! The only real times I was sitting in my chair giggling over how good the movie is was the times when I heard them say things exactly like the books! Like: Eomer saying to Gimli: I would cut off your head dwarf if it stood but a little higher form the ground. Then Legolas: You would die before your stroke fell.... Oh man those parts are great. Also Sam and Frodo talking about Samwise the great! Exactly like the book... perfect.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #19
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I will have to agree with Balin999 and Quickslash on this one. After sitting and shaking my head/fist through most of the movie, Sam's little speech near the end did little to help my opinion of the film. In fact, I was so enraged that they were in Osgiliath, that I couldn't concentrate on anything else. Second, and third viewings of the film helped my opinion a bit. You just have to try and separate it from the books. All in all, nice speech but a little gag-worthy.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:07 AM   #20
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You just have to try and separate it from the books <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly! That's what I learned finally. You can't really compare the Movies to the books.<BR>And Sam's speech is well.... touching, but he says it right at the beginning "We shouldn't even be here."

Old 06-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

People we have to remember that the movie isn't going to be exactly like the book! That is impossible! There are going to be changes whether we like it or not, so might as well take it with a grain of salt and let yourself enjoy it! Why bother complaining? That just ruins the entire movie! PJ tried his best, and we have to give him credit for that.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:36 PM   #22
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

I didn't think the delivery on that speech was up to par. Could have been a whole lot more touching if it wasn't a bit forced. Then again, some of Sam's lines in the book were quite forced, but the character worked well overall.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:37 AM   #23
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There are actually people who thought that part was cheesy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Myself to some degree one of them... <P> I oculdnt help it, id had too much sugar... and it was a <I>long</I> way into the movie...<P>*bows head**

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote