The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril Daggers of the Noldor

Hey Downers, I was watching ROTR EE and at the giftgiving scene at Lothlorien, I pondered a though. How come Merry and Pippin never use their Noldor daggers? Did they just, like, drop it? Did they lose it when they were taken captive by orcs? When Galadriel says: "Do not worry, Perigrin Took. You will find your courage" I'm pretty sure she's refering to him fighting in the service of Gondor. Stil, it seams a shame that they would lose a gift so great as those Noldorian daggers. Those darn Hobbits! Anybody have a though as to where the daggers might have gone?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Since they recieved the daggers in the Extended Edition of FotR, rather than the theatrical version, it would have made little sense to have mentioned them in the theatrical version of RotK. Maybe more will be made of them in the RotK EE.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I agree it is a shame that the daggers are given no more consideration. I am assuming that these were taken from them at Amon Hen (of course, no explanation for where the Barrow-blades went). If not, also remember that the logical place for them to wear it was the belt, and one of them lost the belt during the attack by night of the Rohirrim.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I was actually wondering about that the other day. I thought, "Wait a minute! Merry and Pippin got nice shiny daggers, but all they ever use is their Barrow-swords! What's up with that?" And I never quite figured it out. Maybe they did lose them to the Uruk-hai at Amon Hen. Maybe they gave them to the ents to use as toothpicks. Maybe they concealed them in their boots. <P>But seriously, I hope that we'll get to see those gorgeous daggers again in the EE of ROTK. Maybe. Or will they just completely disappear, and we'll never know where they went?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought the daggers would come into play when Merry stabs the Witch King and I haven't completely abandoned that idea. I watched closely when Merry does the deed and it's all too fast to see what he's got in his hands. All we need is a scene where Gimli gives the daggers back to Merry & Pippin at Isengard, saying they were found when the searched the orcs carcasses and a close-up of the dagger just before Merry goes for the stab.<P>Hey, it could happen.<P>By the way, why do people think that the swords Merry and Pippin have before being captured by the orcs are Barrow swords? There's nothing saying such in the films. I would assume they are just short-swords that Aragorn picked up in Bree. I would also assume these are lost as Merry seems to get a new sword from the Rohirrim and Pippin clearly gets a new sword from Denethor.<P>H.C.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

We had discussed the hobbit-blades on a previous thread before, and while Aragorn gave them the blades, there's no reason why the heritage couldn't still be the same...<P>I still think there's no way the daggers will be the ones used, because non-EE watchers will go "huh?"
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 01-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I still think there's no way the daggers will be the ones used, because non-EE watchers will go "huh?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That's not true. As I mentioned, you can't tell what the sword is that is in Merry's hands. Everyone just assumes it is the Rohirrim sword that he has. All that is needed to introduce the Noldor dagger in the extended King would be a close-up of it just before Merry stabs the Witch King and a brief bit of dialogue at Isengard with Gimli or someone giving the daggers back to Merry and Pippin.<P>I'm not saying this will happen, or even that it is likely. I'm just saying it wouldn't be hard.<P>As for the swords Aragorn gives the hobbits. These appear, for all intesive purposes, to be just regular swords. Certainly not the jewel encrusted swords that are described in the book. And besides, Aragorn walking around with four Barrow swords just to give to the hobbits is a bit too much to swallow.<P>H.C.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

There <I>was</I> a previous discussion about those Barrow blades, I know there was! But I can't find it anywhere. The search function doesn't work for me. Any help?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to offend anyone but common sense would tell you that Merry and Pippin lost their daggers after being captured. Come on, after capturing someone, would you let them carry a nice, shiny dagger on them or confiscate it? And, knowing the orcs greedy nature as evident in ROTK when the two orcs fight over Frodo's mithril coat, I think some orcs or Uruks wouldn't mind carrying around those daggers. Anyways, Merry and Pippin were probably disarmed after being captured.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Yes, but those orcs were killed and Aragorn and company searched the remains of the corpses for signs of Merry and Pippin. It is not unreasonable that they would find the daggers.<P>In the books Aragorn and company find the Barrow swords as the orcs dispose of them. The orcs would have nothing to do with them. Is it that unreasonable for a similar thing to happen with the Noldor daggers?<P>H.C.<p>[ 4:00 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #11
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Then I guess PJ forgot about the daggers if since Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli don't recover them, or at least, I never heard anything about them afterwards. You have to give PJ credit though-far too much detail to worry about, so the daggers were probably driven out of his thoughts. <P>I don't recall reading about the barrow swords being recovered because of the orcs not wanting to have anything to do with them. Maybe the same can be said of the Noldor daggers, but I can't remember if it says anything in the books.