The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #841
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Day Six Begins

Master and Mrs. Ranger, otherwise known as Sleepy and Roa, had a bustling little family in Caranlondien, Glirdan, and Lommy.

Caranlondien Ranger was the oldest, and having poured over the lorebooks of the village of Sealville, found her heart racing with the legendary ways of the village before the sea had eaten the land and drawn close to the village. She took to wandering far and wide across the wilderness, and taught herself skills for surviving and moving quickly. On her excursions, she found the ways of the reindeer, for which she had been searching. She captured and took two home with her, and started breeding them. She went on more excursions and captured more, until she had a small herd. During the winter she gathered six reindeer from the herd she had developed painstakingly, and she hitched them to the sled she had made, and she made off into the wild, leaving Sealville far behind for weeks at a time. To the village's surprise, she returned with furs and salted meats and choice sprigs of herbs that she traded with Celuien for her needs. She was not stuck in the village during the summer months, either, for she had a second sled with wheels. Now, this was stranger to see, for she still used reindeer, but now they were hitched to a small wagon. She took with her that which she had won in the wild, or in Sealville by trade, and went to markets near and far, honing her skills of making a good deal, and wended her way back to Sealville after months in the summer, more well off than she had started. Sleepy and Roa were proud of her, though Roa was displeased that the young woman was hardly home. She was an eligible young lady, and quite fair of face, all things considered, but she refused to stay long. Unlucky for her that she had been in Sealville when the Curse had come.

Lommy Ranger looked up to her older sister, and thought to herself that she would like to take what she had and turn it into better by trade just like Caran did. Except that Lommy didn't know how that was done, so she used her imagination. And that was how it came to be that, not knowing what to say, she decided that Caran must be quick of hand and foot, and must leave the things behind that she didn't want, and took what she did while others were not looking. That was how it came to be that Lommy would leave a clam shell or a pebble, or when she was feeling more generous, even a colored stone that she thought must be gems, for she had gotten them out of the bay, from the floor where the sun had sparked them to shining brilliance. All she ever took was candy and cookies, so she wasn't sure that she was getting the better deal. Once, she had taken an especially scrumptious looking chocolate favor from the filthy little Oddwen, in exchange, of course, for a most beautiful ruby pebble she had found in a little puddle near the bay that day, and Oddwen had seen her as she dashed off, yelling imprecations upon her head, and bawling at the top of her lungs. Lalaith fretted over Oddwen, not ever able to make sense out of what the little waif said, so Lommy got off free that time. But she learned to be more careful after that. It was a shame that it was the last time.

Four werewolves descended upon the house of Ranger, splitting into pairs, with orders to seek out the two young females in the house. Roa and Sleepy were in bed, sleeping. Glirdan was in bed, snoring away. Two werewolves found little Lommy in bed. One picked her up by the hair and clapped a clawed hand over her mouth so that she couldn't scream. Her eyes were wide with terror. The other werewolf pushed her, and pushed her again, until she was swinging by her hair, a human pendulum. She wondered in her fright and follical pain why they were doing this.

Meanwhile, the second pair entered the private bedchamber of Caranlondian, but found her missing. They sniffed from side to side, looked up and down, under the bed, inside her wardrobe; she was nowhere to be found. They loped out of the Ranger house, sniffing for her, since now they had her scent very well in nose.

The werewolf holding Lommy as she swayed back and forth, let go of a sudden as the second werewolf gave a sudden push, and Lommy was spinning through the air, head over heals over head, until she crashed head first into the wall. Her skull was crushed and she fell down the wall to the floor. The two werewolves pounced. When they were done, all that remained was a fear filled face, and a hand holding up a small piece of candy uneaten.

Meanwhile, the two other werewolves had homed in on the scent of Caranlondien, and they whispered foully to each other regarding where she was found. The home of Alcarillo and Cailín, and their live-in son, Eomer, was a two story affair that featured four dormers, two on each side of the stately house. Caranlondien had situated herself just to the inside of the rightmost of the two front dormers, which happened to be the front window of Eomer's room. In one hand she held the hilt of a glinting sword, and in the other a foot long dagger. She had seen them even as they had seen her.

"You'll not get him, if he's the one you're looking for," she murmured. "You'll have to kill me instead."

They chuckled in their foul throats. "You're the one we're after, little fool."

They galloped toward the house, leaped, and landed on the roof. Caranlondien whipped out her sword and dagger, trying to keep both werewolves in view. But they were cagey, and kept themselves one in front, and one behind, so that no matter how quickly she turned, one or the other had moved more quickly still, hiding in and around the dormers, until in growing desperation, she leaped from the roof to the ground and almost, almost withstood the shock of the fall, but heard and felt a painful crunch in both ankles, and she fell to the ground. The werewolves were upon her in an instant, and taking both daggers and sword, they skewered her where she lay, then began to feed on the remaining Carankabob.

By morning all the werewolves were gone, and as the villagers gathered, they found the two skeletal remains at the foot of the Watcher rock. The Watchers looked out to sea, mournful as ever, tears staining their faces. The villagers proceeded to respectfully bury the remains of the new victims, making sure to place Caranlondien's sword and daggers beside her, and Lommy's little piece of uneaten candy upon her lips.

~ The Tally ~ (8)

One evil wizard
One good wizard
Four werewolves
One seer
One hunter

~ The Dead ~ (15)

Elempi, father of Diamond of the Battledore, killed on Night One
Loki the leech collector, lynched on Day One: innocent
The Saucepan Man the barkeep, killed on Night Two: innocent
Nogrod the retired jester, lynched on Day Two: werewolf
the phantom the loud, unpredictable, adventurer: hunter
Naria the servant who empties and cleans chamber pots: werewolf
Celuien the Healer and Cupper, lynched on Day Three: innocent
Lhunardawen the jeweler, committed suicide on Day Three: innocent
Cailín the match maker, mauled by werewolves on Night Four: innocent
Valier the gardener, planted and stoned in her garden on Day Four: werewolf
Firefoot the artist, frenziedly eaten on Night Five: innocent
Nilpaurion the ne'er do well hubby of Dancing Spawn, head almost ripped off by werewolves: innocent
Alcarillo the old retired sea captain, drowned on his boat on Day Five: werewolf
Lommy the little girl who steals other children's candy, broken and consumed on Night Six: innocent
Caranlondien the Sled-Team Driver, skewered and kabobed on Night Six: ranger

~ The Living ~ (16)

Diamond of the Battledore
Roa Aoife the weaver
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant the Baker
Kath the minstrel
Glirdan with the giant crush on Kath
Sleepy Ranger the former wanderer
Kitanna the beloved of Eomer
Oddwen the filthy, insane street urchin who steals chickens
mormegil the retired mariner and current mayor
Feanor the shepherdess with a love of alliteration
Zali the seamstress and beloved of the phantom
Jenny Hallu the unmarried maiden & aunt
Lalaith the frivolous aunt and guardian of Oddwen
Eonwe the freeloading husband of Lhunardawen
Eomer the adventurer & lover of Kitanna
Gurthang the stable-hand
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #842
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Gurthang, will you challenge?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #843
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What choice does he have? But he will not get the chance to challenge....

Heed me, village!

*Every head turned to see what she wished to say. Roa stared at everyone with a completely blank expression upon her face. Slowly, at first, she began to laugh. It was a cold laugh, empty of any joy or feeling, and it sent a shiver through the watching villagers. As it reached crescendo, Roa's expression turned to one of pure malice, and she grinned a poisonous grin in Gurthang's direction. The villagers cowered behind their Good Wizard, now seeing the weaver for her true self.*

Yes, I am the Evil Wizard, and I challenge you, Gurthang, to a duel! We shall see whose power is greater, and who will reign supreme in MY village!

*With that Roa brought forth a staff of white- it was not a white of purity, but a white of decay, like a single dead tree in the middle of a vast wasteland. Darkness swirled around it, like a living shadow, and black energy crackled from the tip. Her long red hair flew back from the force of the power being released.*

You will not last long now!

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #844
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I freaking knew it! I TOLD YOU SO.

Why do you keep voting for me Fea? Why why why? I don't understand it. You have bad reasoning.

HA! Evil evil evil and I caught it on Day 1 even with real life issues clouding my thoughts! You have no clue just how glad I am to see you go. HA.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #845
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
You have no clue just how glad I am to see you go. HA.
Ouch. What did I ever do to.... oh, right... that whole trying to take over the village thing and the killing thing. Nevermind then.

And you didn't have bad reasoning- you had no reasoning.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #846
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
Yes, I am the Evil Wizard, and I challenge you, Gurthang, to a duel! We shall see whose power is greater, and who will reign supreme in MY village!
So we shall.

But before we get to that. I have things to attend to.

*And with that, Gurthang rasied his staff in one hand, and raised the other arm along with it. A dark cloud began to emanate from his feet. It curled up around him, forming a dark ball so that he could not be seen. He was completely enveloped by the dark, shielding sphere.

Roa laughed and raised her staff. A ball of fire shot from the end, straight at Gurthang's dark cloud. It hit, went straight in, and came straight out the other side, barely missing the frightened villagers. The cloud quickly dissipated, revealing that Gurthang was no longer there!*
Old 05-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #847
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silly Gurthang. You think that will save you?

*Roa removed her cloak to reveal a dress seemingly white, but on closer inspection seemed to be living fog. It enveloped her, and she too, vanished, huntiing Gurthang wherever he went.*

Old 05-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #848
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I had every reason in the world, Roa. The Loki thing never worked for me, nor did the Nogrod thing. You made my hit list every day. You play too much like me and I know what I'm like when I'm evil. It wasn't hard to figure out. The only thing that had me questioning myself at all was medical stuff that's been clouding my thoughts. I couldn't get my supporting details until yesterday when I became almost absolutely certain it was you but I couldn't vote for you lest I die and let one of your wolves live ergo I had to reeeeeally hope that tonight you either got caught or turned me to one of yours (yeah, I'm a little vindictive about that whole everyone almost killed me thing). But I sure as heck didn't want to die because then I wouldn't get the satisfaction of trying to kill you more. And you KNOW I've been trying. Why on earth did you let me live?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #849
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*Mormegil looks questioningly at the location where Gurthang and Roa were just standing, glances at his 14 fellow villagers and gives a puzzled look and receives 14 other puzzled looks in reply*
Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #850
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

They um... they disappeared while I was ranting. Are they coming back?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #851
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gurthang if you come back will you give us another list of doom so we can have one last untainted list? It seems to have been very effective so far and I think 4 is a good number.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #852
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
If not we could always go back to that old thing called 'using our initiatives'. We did fine before Gurthang revealed as well remember.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #853
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
If not we could always go back to that old thing called 'using our initiatives'. We did fine before Gurthang revealed as well remember.
Yes dear Kath I well remember, however it is nice to have a list that may aid us in our quest.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #854
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

True enough, Kath, but still... Gurthang knows a couple innocents. It would be nice to narrow down our kill list to avoid them. Still... I'm willing to take my chances. I'm feeling pretty cocky about my intuition right now.

ed: x-d morm
Old 05-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #855
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just checking
Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #856
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots To prevent the further effusion of pointless posts...

...even though LMP will probably be disappointed he didn't get to do this himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
The wizards both reappeared in a flash.

Roa stared at everyone with a completely blank expression upon her face. She began to laugh: cold, empty of any joy or feeling, sending a shiver through the villagers. As it reached crescendo, Roa's expression turned to pure malice, and she grinned a poisonous grin at Gurthang. The villagers cowered behind their Good Wizard, now seeing the weaver for what she was.

"Yes, I am the Evil Wizard, and I challenge you, Gurthang, to a duel! We shall see whose power is greater, and who will reign supreme in MY village!"

With that Roa again brought forth a staff of white - not a white of purity, but of decay, like a dead tree in the middle of a vast wasteland. Darkness swirled around it, like a living shadow, and black energy crackled from the tip. Her long red hair flew back from the force of the power being released.

Gurthang glowered and threw back his cloak to reveal his swirling black cloak and a staff of ebony tipped in bronze. From it shone bright light that caused a gale to blow out in all directions from Gurthang and his staff.

"Fall back to the Watchers!" he cried to the villagers as he kept his gaze on Roa. The villagers hid their faces from the sudden blast, and they half ran, were half blown away to the Watcher rock.

The Watchers looked out to sea.

The blazing light from Gurthang met the black swirling energy of Roa half way between them.

"You have dared to much," Gurthang gritted.

"You don't know the half of it," Roa smirked.

"How did you get three curses in one night?"

"The Shadow gave them to me."

"But why?"

"To take vengeance of the Watchers' tricks of warning you early of me, and of enhancing your hunters."

"I should have known."

As they were talking, Roa's black swirl ate away at Gurthang's light. He gritted his teeth and concentrated the harder. Little by little the caconexus* of black and light returned to the middle.

"Who is your hunter?" Roa asked.

"I'll not tell you! Do you think me a fool?"

Roa smiled a hideous smile by way of reply, but added, "Are your seers dreaming?"

Gurthang scowled. The caconexus again began to forge its way toward Gurthang.

"Are your hunters finding werewolves without the kindness of my werewolves?"

"Kindness you call it," Gurthang retorted. "You do not know kindness!"

The caconexus moved back toe the center.

"Who were your first werewolves?" Gurthang asked.

"You will have to figure that out for yourself," Roa grinned.

"Very well," Gurthang glowered. "I do notice, however, that you have been more effective at killing off your werewolves than I."

With this revelation the caconexus suddenly pushed toward Roa. She frowned in surprise and redoubled her efforts. She did not understand what made the nexus eat toward her.

Gurthang smiled. "Whom did you curse the next few nights?"

"Figure it out for yourself!"

Back to the center crawled the point of power that would destroy anything in its way.

"Maybe that one is still alive," Gurthang commented.

"You'll not get anymore information from me," Roa retorted.

Both redoubled their efforts, trying to break the general stalemate. Then Gurthang had a new thought. The power of good was the willingness to lay down one's life for one's friends. It did not matter to him if he was killed, as long as Roa did not survive. He sensed that she had no such intention and was ruled by ambition to own Sealville, and more villages beyond. He narrowed his eyes and redirected the light from his staff, not to head off the blackness, but to climb along it and braid in, around, and through it. And so it began.

The caconexus turned into a knot of power, a swirling thread of light and dark - seemingly a mix of gray, but Gurthang knew that the light and the dark could be discerned one from the other. Slowly he threaded the light along the line of dark emanating from Roa's staff. Slowly the swirling darkness from Roa twined its way along the light from Gurthang's staff.

Roa's eyes betrayed fear.

"Do you wish to live, Roa?"

She said nothing. The fear left her eyes and was replaced by a determined will. "These fools need you," she said. "If you throw away your life they are doomed."

"You do wish to live," Gurthang smiled.

The light and the dark had braided three quarters of the way down the lines of power in both directions. The dry wind that blew from the both wizards and all the power between them was a gale that blew the dust of years into the air, and the sun was hidden from Sealville.

"If I die, you die," Roa snapped.

"With both of us dead, you can curse no more innocent villagers."

"Innocent you call them! Do you not know that I can curse them because they are not pure?"

Gurthang smiled a sad smile. "Good and ill cross lines in each villager here, and each must choose the light or the dark."

"Fool! I could curse every last one of them, so much darkness is in each of them!"

"My sacrifice will strengthen their resolve to resist your werewolves."

The thread of power was almost braided its full length. Roa's staff shook in her grip. She licked her lips. Gurthang held firm, knowing what the end was.

"They will need more that resolve. My werewolves will have to be fools to lose the advantage I have forged for them!"

"Be that as it may," Gurthang said, "You will not be alive to see it."

"Nor you, fool!"

With that, the braiding was complete. Suddenly, swirling blackness exploded Gurthang's staff. Simultaneously, light exploded Roa's. In the next instant, both wizards were consumed: Gurthang's body was twisted into contortions impossible to survive. Roa's body burned in a white fire, flames reaching high above her. In moments, Gurthang was a heap of mangled flesh, and Roa was a pile of ash. The powers of light and dark dissipated, the dust cloud slowly cleared, blown away on a north wind, and the villagers crept fearfully back into the middle of the village to observe the remains of the wizard battle.

At first, no one spoke. Then a word was uttered, an imprication was sounded, then a phrase was offered, then a point made, then a counterpoint posed, and soon the villagers were readying themselves for another lynching.

*caconexus: yes, I just coined the word; caco = demonic; nexus = central point.
~ The Tally ~ (6)

Four werewolves
One seer
One hunter

~ The Dead ~ (17)

Elempi, father of Diamond of the Battledore, killed on Night One
Loki the leech collector, lynched on Day One: innocent
The Saucepan Man the barkeep, killed on Night Two: innocent
Nogrod the retired jester, lynched on Day Two: werewolf
the phantom the loud, unpredictable, adventurer: hunter
Naria the servant who empties and cleans chamber pots: werewolf
Celuien the Healer and Cupper, lynched on Day Three: innocent
Lhunardawen the jeweler, committed suicide on Day Three: innocent
Cailín the match maker, mauled by werewolves on Night Four: innocent
Valier the gardener, planted and stoned in her garden on Day Four: werewolf
Firefoot the artist, frenziedly eaten on Night Five: innocent
Nilpaurion the ne'er do well hubby of Dancing Spawn, head almost ripped off by werewolves: innocent
Alcarillo the old retired sea captain, drowned on his boat on Day Five: werewolf
Lommy the little girl who steals other children's candy, broken and consumed on Night Six: innocent
Caranlondien the Sled-Team Driver, skewered and kabobed on Night Six: ranger
Roa Aoife the weaver: Evil Wizard
Gurthang the stable-hand: Good Wizard

~ The Living ~ (14)

Diamond of the Battledore
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant the Baker
Kath the minstrel
Glirdan with the giant crush on Kath
Sleepy Ranger the former wanderer
Kitanna the beloved of Eomer
Oddwen the filthy, insane street urchin who steals chickens
mormegil the retired mariner and current mayor
Feanor the shepherdess with a love of alliteration
Zali the seamstress and beloved of the phantom
Jenny Hallu the unmarried maiden & aunt
Lalaith the frivolous aunt and guardian of Oddwen
Eonwe the freeloading husband of Lhunardawen
Eomer the adventurer & lover of Kitanna

Just to be clear, the Wizards are now gone! There will be nothing more from them.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #857
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I officially call the village back to order and we need to forward ourself with the business at hand. We still have four wolves to capture and they won't capture themselves. Quite frankly there are those from whom I would like to hear more. No more hiding at this stage. Also there are many whom I still find rather suspicious, Diamond not the least. I'm still not sure where I stand on Zali. After my analysis I thought she looked awfully wolfish but possibly too wolfish, if you take my meaning. Still she's worth looking at still. Kath and Feanor of course must be guilty. The quiet ones better perk up a bit. We saw from Alcarillo that they weren't hesitant to hide behind silence.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #858
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

What if we simply take Gurthang's list from yesterday and add Eomer back onto it? That makes 4 and includes all Gurthang's choices, right?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #859
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
HA!

HA!

HA!

Hahahahahahaha!

I knew it.

When Gurthang took Roa off his list yesterDay, I wondered if that meant he had made her his Hunter -- but that thought just did not sit right with me, I kept coming back to her being the Evil Wizard because no one else felt evil enough. And yes, I did get a little too snippy with her yesterDay, but Roa can be very persuasive in her arguments and so to have someone like that continually hammering how suspicious and illogical I am kind of freaks me out. I know I'm easy to scapegoat, so when someone's doing that I tend to suspect they're trying the ol' "Get Diamond lynched" trick. I feel very vindicated right now that she was NOT just another villager suspecting me, but an Evil Wizard out to get me. I still can't understand why Gurthang took her off the list yesterDay, but I guess I'll have to wait a while for an answer to that.

Whoo. I feel good right now. I only wish Gurthang could have given us a list before Roa challenged him.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #860
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
What if we simply take Gurthang's list from yesterday and add Eomer back onto it? That makes 4 and includes all Gurthang's choices, right?
Why would you want to put Eomer on it? Didn't you notice who Caran was protecting last night? Eomer.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #861
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

So? She didn't know he whether he was innocent or not did she? Actually did she? I'm assuming the Ranger is like normal, and doesn't know the identity of the one they protect.

Shoot, time for a rule reread I think, but it'll have to wait til tomorrow (RL). Got an exam so need some sleep!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #862
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I like the plan well enough, except I'm innocent so I'd like to be replaced with somebody else, preferably somebody that's a wolf.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #863
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
So? She didn't know he whether he was innocent or not did she? Actually did she? I'm assuming the Ranger is like normal, and doesn't know the identity of the one they protect.
I thought Gurthang had the ability to direct his gifteds.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #864
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I like the plan well enough, except I'm innocent so I'd like to be replaced with somebody else, preferably somebody that's a wolf.

Personally, I don't care if I'm at the top of the list and get butchered in bloody fashion, because the moral victory will still be mine.

I guess right about now we should start the "Who would Roa pick?" game. Obviously (well, not so obvious to anyone besides me) she was too concerned with getting me lynched to make me a wolf. I have to go back and look at her analysis of Lalaith to see how she was presenting Lal to the village. Etc. with all the other villagers.

The people we already know she desired are:

Loki
Nogrod (cannon fodder. ouch.)
Naria
Valier
Alcarillo
Nilp
Gurthang (actually, I can't remember if she tried to curse him or if the wolves tried to kill him, but I think it was the former.)

It's a start.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #865
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Personally, I don't care if I'm at the top of the list and get butchered in bloody fashion, because the moral victory will still be mine.
True enough, love, true enough. They'll kill me off and then regretfully think "Ah, so she was that much more intelligent [and clever and intuitive and gorgeous and, above all, modest] because she actually picked out the Evil Wizard. It wasn't that she was a bold and bluffing wolf taking shots at her master. All hail and bow down before her." Never mind what I said before. Kill me if you want... your reactions to my death will make me that much cockier.

In any case, I have a few people to look at before I make any real statements and I can't really do more than banter until I get out of work at 9:00. Expect more after that.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #866
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Directives

Thank you, Kuruharan, for doing as I requested.

Applause, please, from all players (no posts from dead folks though) to Kuruharan and Boromir88 for fine jobs of sub-modding. Their jobs have now ended, and I am forthwith taking over full responsibilities of a classic werewolf game, but reserve the right to copy my sub-mods as much as I like.

Rulings:

1. The werewolves will learn of each others' identities as soon as this Day ends, no sooner, for the Evil Wizard Roa's PM revealings will be all they get until then. The werewolves may PM each other only at Night.

2. The gifteds may know each other only as much as Gurthang the Good Black Wizard allowed while he was alive. They may not PM each other, at all.

3. The Hunter will continue to weild the double power that I instituted at the beginning of this game and ratified in the middle of it. No changes there (I despise a weak Hunter).

4. Every player must from this point onward post to the board every Day. Failure to do so results in a boring suicide or accidental death. Failure to vote is punishable by whatever the offending player's fellow players wish to inflict, whether a lynching or being ignored, or what have you. Failure to vote is NOT reckoned by this Moderator as cause for removal from the Game.

I do believe that about covers it. If my former sub-mods advise me otherwise, I will post revisions as necessary.

Thank you. That is all.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #867
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Hurray for Gurthang...though I wish he could have helped point us in the right direction today...

It looks like toDay may well be my last in this village, due to LMP's new rule about posting daily--Unless something changes, I may not be on after toDay until about 10PM EST Thursday night. It's pretty much unavoidable. RL suddenly got really crowded. I had a performance that was going to be last week, complete with strenuous rehearsals daily, but then weather decided not to comply, and we wound up moving it to this week. In effect, this means that though I thought I'd be free by last Thursday, I won't really be free again until late this coming Thursday.

Can't say you all will miss me

Expect a post with actual substance later. There's a lot to think about.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #868
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, thank you to Gurthang - thankfully we still have the Seer & Hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy
Loki
Nogrod (cannon fodder. ouch.)
Naria
Valier
Alcarillo
Nilp
Gurthang (actually, I can't remember if she tried to curse him or if the wolves tried to kill him, but I think it was the former.)
Roa never tried to curse Gurthang, she discovered him while they were trying to scry/curse the same person.

Nope, I was wrong. The Wolves tried to kill Gurthang on Night 4.

More, perhaps later.

x'd w/ Zali & lmp

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #869
mormegil
Maundering Mage

It's fairly quiet currently so I figured I would put forward my general impressions of people.

Diamond-- Based on the list we have of whom Roa chose Diamond could fit into that mold. It was obvious also that Roa didn't hesitate to vote for her wolves and she fought frequently with Diamond.

Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant--According to my Lore Books she should be a bit more helpful and insightful. She has had her posts but generally less active than is her wont

Kath--Makes a fearsome wolf or duck but she can be a good asset if she is on our side as well. I don't have the feeling that she's guilty though.

Glirdan--Fairly irrelevant as he will most likely die due to silence so unless he comes around I don't think he's a wolf.

Sleepy Ranger--Would Roa have chosen another silent type? It's rather possible, he is on my watch list and has been for a couple of days but I'd like to hear more from him.

Kitanna--She seems innocent as of late but came through a fairly decent wave of suspicion after that she started contributing. I lean that she is an innocent who had very little time at the start of this affair and now has more time to contribute.

Oddwen--Despite her odd behavior she seems to slip under everybody's radar. It would be a bold move for Roa to chose her but an intelligent one as well as most of us have somewhat forgotten about Oddwen, though her name is spoken from time to time.

Feanor--*sigh* I don't know what to say other than she's the most difficult person to read. Usually I end up saying that we should just lynch her so she's not around to confuse us any more but if she's innocent then we loose one more villager and we are not in great shape currently.

Zali--Another I think could be guilty and would fit the Modus Operandi of Roa. She choose those middle to quiet villagers that were a bit controversial but perhaps she added a talkative one in the mix too...Diamond or Fea but Valier was loud too.

Jenny Hallu--Daughter I would certainly like to hear more from you. I would hate to condemn my daughter to the gallows but I believe that you are innocent but I think I should like to have a look at your posts if I have time.

Lalaith--Has seemed innocent to me for a long time and it hasn't changed. So unless she was converted last night I'm thinking innocent as well.

Eonwe--Really should be dead and probably will be soon along with Glirdan. The only problem is that he is probably innocent and we will loose yet another villager. I implore the quiet ones to step forward and contribute otherwise we stand very little chance of victory.

Eomer--I've always kept a slight suspicion of him. Roa may have thought that he'd make such a horrible wolf choice (Eomer said so himself) that she would do it because who better than the worst pick. Does that make sense? Essentially it's so unlikely that he'd be chosen that in fact he was. But to be honest I really haven't felt much suspicion of him since the first day or two.

What I think is that the quiet villagers really need to help out so they don't have misfortune or suicide to hamper our chances of success. We can beat these wolves but it will take the participation of everybody to do so. Ideally we get a wolf today so there is only 1 kill tonight otherwise our number will be down by 3 innocents instead of 1.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #870
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Roa chose Diamond. Think about it... Di is perfectly strong-willed enough to yell back when Roa starts getting nippy. T'would be a most wonderful bluff...

And morm... I don't try to be difficult... I just am.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #871
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh my gosh!! My mother was the evil one!! Holy cow!! This hurts!! I can't believe she killed her own daughters!! My poor sisters...I shall miss you dearly...

However, I am quite pleased that Gurthang took down my mother and her ability to curse us. Mother, I loved you dearly. But now, may you rot in the Void with Morgoth.

Now to find the rotten Wolves who did this to my family...

Quote:
What I think is that the quiet villagers really need to help out so they don't have misfortune or suicide to hamper our chances of success. We can beat these wolves but it will take the participation of everybody to do so. Ideally we get a wolf today so there is only 1 kill tonight otherwise our number will be down by 3 innocents instead of 1.(morm)
I will be helping as much as I can toDay. However, tomorrow (as in Wednsday) I will have no way of helping out as I have to leave for the Day. If the Watchers (coughMODGODcough) allows it, I will return the Day after and help find the rest of these fiends.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #872
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Roa chose Diamond. Think about it... Di is perfectly strong-willed enough to yell back when Roa starts getting nippy. T'would be a most wonderful bluff...(Fea)
You know, this little plot wouldn't surprise me. I had no idea how kiniving my mother could be and who knows, this could have been another one of her dark little secrets. My poor father...what will he say when he finds out about mother?

Anyway, as I was saying...What was I saying? Oh! Right. Diamond's family and my family are (or, in my family's case, were) the largest families in this here village. It wouldn't surprise me if mother decided to take Diamond as one of her victims because Diamond would have enough sway over those memebers in her family which is a great population of this village. Think about it.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #873
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow, is all I have to say about Roa and Gurthang...

But no time to dwell on that. I have a few hours to post because I will have no time tomorrow (RL time) and I'm going to need to vote early. The problem is I'm pretty sure most people will not have a chance to speak before I have to vote, but I'd rather vote early then not at all.

Quote:
Morm=
Diamond-- Based on the list we have of whom Roa chose Diamond could fit into that mold. It was obvious also that Roa didn't hesitate to vote for her wolves and she fought frequently with Diamond.

Oddwen--Despite her odd behavior she seems to slip under everybody's radar. It would be a bold move for Roa to chose her but an intelligent one as well as most of us have somewhat forgotten about Oddwen, though her name is spoken from time to time.
I've voiced a little bit of suspicion for both of them, though it was never much more than a nagging feeling. Given my lack of time today I'm going to look over their posts and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #874
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I'm in the curious position of not feeling much like defending myself against any suspicions... perhaps because most of them revolve around who Roa would pick. She didn't want me, but there's positively no way for me to prove that so I probably shouldn't waste what might possibly be my last day alive doing that. I have this plan where I'm going to scour Roa's posts for clues as to who she picked as wolves, and if/when I die and am proved innocent you can all look back at my thoughts and possibly find them useful. The only problem right now is that Roa has so many frickin' posts that I'm feeling a bit of ennui at the thought of scouring them all. But, as it gets later in the night and my grip on sanity lessens (I always do my best thinking after midnight), I shall endeavor to do my best.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #875
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Diamond I believe this is a wise course of action and I endeavor to do the same but am daunted by the sheer volume of posts but to hear you say that Roa had a lot of post in a complaining fashion is a bit comical
Old 05-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #876
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

What can I say. I find writing posts to be far easier than reading them.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #877
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'd like to warn everyone that my participation for the rest of toDay will be much less than yesterDay. Today's been long and I'm going to bed shortly, after which I'll be brought forcibly back to reality by the harsh tones of the alarm clock that I loathe because it has the upper hand in our relationship... I need it more than it needs me. After that, shower and classes. I'll have some time between and after classes, but it's more that it's time to catch up and make some decisions than it being time to do what I want to do which is:

I have my current hitlist, but it's a Wizard hitlist, not a wolf one. What I'd like to do is take each villager that's been on both my list of potentially evil and certainly sketchy and on Gurthang's multiple lists of those garnering mass suspicion and compare their behavior each day.

For example if X player acted a certain way on days one and two and suddenly played a bit differently on three and shows up on both lists, I'll mark that as considerably dodgy.

But I don't have the flippin' time to do it right now. Falling asleep where I sit and I'm not done with homework... G'night.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #878
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Diamond I believe this is a wise course of action and I endeavor to do the same but am daunted by the sheer volume of posts but to hear you say that Roa had a lot of post in a complaining fashion is a bit comical
Indeed, I was just thinking the same about you Diamond. It's a daunting task to go over Roa's and Diamond's posts tonight. But luckily I was able to look into Oddwen's.

Quote:
Oddwen=
I don't believe I'll be voting today, because I haven't found a reason to see anyone suspicious enough to warrant one, and because I won't be back to vote.
I find this odd and I wonder how I managed to miss it on Day One or even Day Two. I understand the not being around to vote because of RL issues, but it seems she didn't really put in much of an effort in trying to pick someone. Maybe not to vote for, but atleast give an opinion about.
Quote:
Oddwen=
++LALAITH

Because she never really loved me! And for a few things that Spawn pointed out, and a few little hunches of my own.
Oddwen's Day Two vote, I think I commented on this before as being a weird move. She says one other thing that day and sort of pops up again with a random vote and little reasoning behind it. It felt like she was making up for her non-vote the first day and just sort of grabbed someone who had one vote already and a little bit of gaining suspicion. She never really gave any reaosn beyond that that day because she had to go.
Quote:
Oddwen=
Forgive me, I was late for work and didn't have time to elaborate. Lalaith was the only one I had really 'noticed', and what Spawn posted in the post directly before my first post pretty much summed it up.
A reasonable reason for not giving much at the time of her vote, yet still she doesn't really expand on it. Giving an example of what Spawn had said would have been helpful indeed.
Quote:
Oddwen=
Right now I'm looking at Celuien and Firefoot.
More suspicions with no backing behind them.
Quote:
Oddwen=
Alc, I think, is acting weird for Alc
Fea is acting pretty normal for Fea
I really wish Oddwen would explain herself. I know RL conflicts get in the way, but I would hope she woould have a few minutes to spare to give a quck reason as to why she suspects who she does.
Quote:
Oddwen=
Fea's maundering...you like the word, you're the maundering mage, therefore Fea = You, if you're evil she is too...that's what I was thinking.
I missed out on the whole maundering thing, so this just has me flat out confused.

Alright, Oddwen would have been a good choice because there were mild suspicions of her and I think on Day Two she managed a few votes (not going to check the voting record now). But after that she just sort of fell out. She posted rarely and no one really said anything about her. That makes her a good wolf choice, however I wonder if her silence has anything to do with becoming a wolf.

Alcarillo was a wolf and after Day Two he just sort of laid low. Oddwen had the same sort of posting record. She posted once or twice on the first two days and then sort of faded in and out never really contributing much. But I wonder if Roa would pick two villagers with the same type of habits.

I really need to go lie down, but I'll be on in a few hours to cast my vote. Hopefully I'll be able to look at some of Diamond and Roa's posts.

Last edited by Kitanna; 05-23-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #879
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Kit, one of those Oddwen quotes is credited to me. I never voted for Lalaith.

But I may.... Before I tackle Roa's posts, here's a few fly by opinions of people based on what I would do were I the EW. It's arranged from most desirable to least:

morm -- I'd want him. Does anyone else come across as level-headed as morm? I think not. And though he always seems to garner some suspicion, he generally takes a while to lynch, and the lorebooks show that he's almost always been innocent. Which means that we have virtually no record of Evil Morm action.

Lalaith -- Maybe it's just me, but she always exudes pleasant and innocent vibes. Granted, my lorebooks are quite sketchy on Evil Lalaiths, but that's why I would want her.

Kitanna -- Kind of the same as morm, she makes very level headed posts, is not given to bouts of snippiness or oddity. It's all about the personality. I don't actually think she's a wolf, but I didn't think Valier was a wolf either, so wot do I know. I only know who I'd want if I were Roa.

Eomer -- 'cause he's so cute. Hmm... good thing LMP didn't pick me to be a Wizard, I operate randomly. Somehow I doubt Roa would pick based on this.

Kath -- I've seen Evil Kath in action and she's good. Also, if I was to pick morm, it would amuse me to put him and Kath together. However she was evil quite recently according to the lorebooks, which decreases her desirablity.

Oddwen -- Slippery. When people don't know what to make of a person, in a large village they tend to be avoided.

Azaelia -- that sig makes SUCH a good defense.

Sleepy -- He's one of the quiet people like Alcarillo and Naria, and in a large bustling villlage these people can survive for a long time. Naria had an unlucky night death largely thanks to the Watchers, and Alcarillo lasted what I would consider a long time.

Glirdan -- See Sleepy. The only reason I rank him lower than Sleepy in desirablness is because I've seen people jump his ship a little too often in the lorebooks. He's been innocent each time, but still.

Eonwe -- See Glirdan and Sleepy. Ranked lower because I'm not as familiar with his playing style and wouldn't be sure quite what to expect.

JennyHallu -- she's a good middle-posting player... however the both times she was evil (that my lorebooks have on record) she died early, so I actually would have shied away from her this game. She was evil too recently and a lot of people have fresh lorebook entries on Evil Jenny.

PS - Happy 21st to Jenny. Get snoggered and post here. It will be amusing.

Fea -- See Oddwen for pros, see lorebooks for cons. She's known as Seer-bait.

Spawn -- My impression has been that Seers salivate over her. I'm actually surprised she's gone this long with being dreamt of, though that might be explained by the sparodic Seer action.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. If I was the recently ashified EW, you would do well to be lynching Morm, Lal, Kitanna and Eomer forwith.

The rub is that Roa and I think rather differently. We're both loud, but as you can see on the points where we rub up against each other, we're loud in different ways. Roa advocates logic and serious analysis, I'm quite a bit more free flowing and out-there in my idea process. I'm not shy to come up with odd theories like the importance of Loki's secret friend and the possibility of the wolves knowing each other. I'm not sure what kinds of ideas Roa comes up with, actually, come to think of it, she spent a lot of time poking holes in others' ideas. Well, I suppose I should hold off on this till I do that long awaited scouring of her posts... but for now I think the people we'd be thinking most alike on are my top picks -- Morm, Kitanna, and Lal. The sensible types. We've already killed a couple silent types (Naria, Alc) and a couple of the loud out-there types (Nog and Val). So as I see it, we could go after people that fit into those two types, or we could explore the possibilty of her going for more variety and including some more modest types. (I'm a variety person myself.) Now, morm, Lal, and Kit aren't exactly quiet people, they're not as ostentatiously loud as Nog, Val, or myself. So I count them as "more modest types."

A quick question while it's on my mind -- Morm, you seem to be fluctuating on Kath. One moment she's clearly evil and then another you don't have the feeling she's guilty. So which is it? And why?

Last edited by Diamond18; 05-22-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #880
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Okay, so the phone kept me up over an hour longer than I'd planned for... a few quick notes based on what I've just read and how I've responded to it:

Mormegil: an ancestor of mine was a wolf with an ancestor of his at the very same time she was a wolf with Kath's ancestor. My lorebooks go in depth into how they've operated when evil. Mormegil, when he is evil, is nigh uncatchable. It's fluke that caught his ancestor and a fluke that was capitalized upon by both my ancestor and Kath's. Ergo, my lorebooks say that:

Morm is bloody dangerous as a wolf and we shouldn't be too comfortable with him, and Kath, lovely and nice a lass as she is, is perfectly able to be a vicious and conniving betrayer of all that is good (up to and including team mates) and is sneaky enough to warrant a good watching on all sides.

[/Ancestrial Note on Lupinity]

A grandmother of mine, more recent than the grandmother of the previous paragraphs, was lupine with a grandmother of Kitanna. Her ancestor, when a wolf, played no different than when innocent. She is very adept at playing the aloof one from the group, allowing her co-workers to do what they will as she concentrates on her own, private and well-executed, agenda. Fluke caught her ancestor just as it did morm's.

[/Second Ancestrial Note on Lupinity]

Eomer: the first village in which his ancestor was allowed to live past the very beginning was the village where he then proceeded to ruthlessly slaughter all innocents.

[/Ancestrial Note on Life Expectancy of Aimčs]

Perhaps that says nothing. Perhaps it says something. Upon reflection, had I been Wizard, mormegil would have very easily been my first choice of a wolf. Roa and I, however, apart from both having marked Loki as a good first night choice, don't always think the same way.

Truly now, good night.