Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #881
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Wow, I can't even put a sentence together.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #882
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yay, you got a post up, Gwathagor, and I agree with Nogrod it was masterfully done. I'll get mine up soon!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #883
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is Javan participating in the boys run? I didn't see him on the list, but I just wanted to make sure that Folwren hadn't changed her mind.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #884
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh...yeah...I guess I never really officially said that, but you all convinced me and a few posts ago I gave Elempi a description of him.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #885
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When I was a kid I raced against a compactly built but somewhat short boy. That means muscles. He was fastest in our class and could outrun kids older than him as well as taller. However, compactly built kids aren't as good at longer distances. You'll see.

There needs to be refreshments between the races. So anybody who wants to post next, have Eodwine, Wilcred, or Lithor call for a break for refreshments for all.

I already have the next race set, but I have to write it up. Let's see some other posts before I do that. Nice posts, Foley & Groin!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #886
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great post you did there LMP! I was so excited, I never knew Erband had it in him.

Since we are almost done with the races, what do you think should come next? Should we do some fun sports, like the task path or dagger throwing, or should we start the weapon fighting? Personally I think that there should be a small break after the racing if we start with the staff fight, sword dueling, ext.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #887
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Great post you did there LMP! I was so excited, I never knew Erband had it in him.
Neither did Erbrand, apparently.

Quote:
Since we are almost done with the races, what do you think should come next? Should we do some fun sports, like the task path or dagger throwing, or should we start the weapon fighting? Personally I think that there should be a small break after the racing if we start with the staff fight, sword dueling, ext.
My thought was that the three legged race would be next, and then the task path and the throwing competitions, and the dueling competitions would be last and most looked-forward-to.

After the three legged race will come a well deserved break for noontime meal, then the afternoon will see the rest of the competitions, then evening meal, then music and dance, then bonfire and riddles to close out the day.

Sound good?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #888
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have no problem with doing the three legged race next, but after such a long run, won't half of our contestants be worn out? I suggest we do archery next, as it does not take speed.

But...if the archery range is somewhere far away from where they are now, and this is the running ground, then it would be most logical if they just let people get their breath back and then ran the three legged race.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #889
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In my humble opinion, since the longer distance runners are involved in both the three legged race & archery, they're so beat right now that lunch ought to come before anything. Consider that an executive decision.

LUNCH TIME!

....or whatever they called it in Rohan....
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #890
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

"S - T...What comes after T?"

"Dinner!"

"What? Dinner time?"

"It's dinner time!"

"No, it's not!"

"Oh."

Okay, lunch sound superb. And they wouldn't call it lunch, I don't think, it'd be either the noon time meal or dinner.

-- Foley
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #891
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
In my humble opinion, since the longer distance runners are involved in both the three legged race & archery, they're so beat right now that lunch ought to come before anything. Consider that an executive decision.
A good idea.

I'll try to post tomorrow for the kids at least. If anyone feels to engage the boys or Stigend / Garstan feel free to go for it.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #892
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

LUNCH TIME!
You remind me of that scene in Gone With The Wind where the forman is arguing about who says it's quit'n time! Sounds like a good decision!

I'll get my post up today, I've been stalling for so long.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #893
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
An angsty youngster decided to go off with a bang and shot ten people in a school in Finland before aiming the gun to his own head. Somehow as a teacher I'm not feeling able to concentrate in an RPG-post right now even if I promised. Sorry.

But do go on, I'll catch up soon.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #894
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
An angsty youngster decided to go off with a bang and shot ten people in a school in Finland before aiming the gun to his own head. Somehow as a teacher I'm not feeling able to concentrate in an RPG-post right now even if I promised. Sorry.

But do go on, I'll catch up soon.
It puts us in memory of Columbine and others since. Take care.

EDIT: Okay, Groin has written the three legged race as next before lunch. So be it. (so much for executive orders ....) I haven't time to write a post tonight, but I want to have Eodwine look for Saeryn and Rowenna and convince Rowenna to partner with him for the three legged race after all. We'll see how that goes....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 09-23-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #895
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I heard about that in Bible class today. How awful. How far was it from you? I'm glad you're safe.

---------

Elempi, I agree - Rowenna and Saeryn need to come back into the story.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #896
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:

EDIT: Okay, Groin has written the three legged race as next before lunch. So be it. (so much for executive orders ....)
Face it, LMP: we all know that you're on your way out. You just don't have enough credibility to make executive orders anymore.

I'm very sorry to hear about the shooting. It is particularly distressing to consider the pain for so many families that will continue for months and years, resulting from that one moment of cold, pure, logical nihilism in the student's mind.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 09-23-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #897
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
...one moment of cold, pure, logical nihilism in the student's mind.
Then it would have had to have been poor logic, because logic correctly used will always yield the correct answer. But that's a topic for another thread...

...glad to know I have enough credibility to get a wise crack from Crabannan's muse......
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #898
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Then it would have had to have been poor logic, because logic correctly used will always yield the correct answer.
It will only yield the correct answer if you are beginning with true premises. Logic can be completely valid and completely false.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #899
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
It will only yield the correct answer if you are beginning with true premises. Logic can be completely valid and completely false.
Which is what I meant by "correctly used".

Anyway, my home computer is currently out of commission, so you probably won't see any posting action from me on the weekends.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #900
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Which is what I meant by "correctly used".
Then I agree with you. But without God, nihilism IS the logical conclusion.

I don't reckon I'll post until lunch-time.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #901
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
EDIT: Okay, Groin has written the three legged race as next before lunch. So be it. (so much for executive orders ....) I haven't time to write a post tonight, but I want to have Eodwine look for Saeryn and Rowenna and convince Rowenna to partner with him for the three legged race after all. We'll see how that goes....
What? No, no, no, no I didn't mean it like that! Perhaps I should have been more specific, but I didn't mean to skip lunch. Never fear people I shall make amends to this catastrophe, help is on the way! *dashes into the closet and emerges in a Superman costume*
Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #902
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hey, all...I was kind of hoping to post today or tomorrow or Sunday or sometime soon, but we had an unexpected arrival last night. I have a new baby nephew, 7 weeks earlier than expected, and although I won't be seeing him for a while (he's in the hospital two hours away), I will be having to help my Mom and possibly my sister-in-law as we watch my older nephew and we try to juggle things. When I'm not cleaning or running after the munchkin or doing something like that, I'll probably have to study. So...I'm sorry...but that's the scoop.

-- Folwren
Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #903
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Putting family first again. Ridiculous.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #904
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Putting family first again. Ridiculous.
What...has this been a pattern for me? Or are you refering to people in general?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #905
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Just society in general.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #906
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Three legged race

I need to know the pairings for the three legged race.

Degas/Leodhern
Eodwine/Rowenna

Who else?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #907
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Kara/Erbrand
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #908
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Can Saeryn and Ginna run together, and then Javan and Wilcred be partners?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #909
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks Kath!

I'm going to see if I can get a post in for Erbrand later tonight, sorry for not being so active lately. I hope I haven't killed the RPG with my last post!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #910
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Actually I was just thinking that Kara never replied to Erbrand did she? She is definitely still willing to run with him and is looking forward to it. If you want to put that in your post then please go ahead.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #911
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Actually I was just thinking that Kara never replied to Erbrand did she? She is definitely still willing to run with him and is looking forward to it. If you want to put that in your post then please go ahead.
That's right, silly me. Do you want to get a post up before me, or should I just write a post and kind of guess what Kara would say, or should we do a combined post? This means I'll get a post up by tommorrow evening at the latest.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #912
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

We can do a combined one if you like. If you write your post and PM it to me with gaps where you're talking to Kara I can add some things in?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #913
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I need to know the pairings for the three legged race.

Degas/Leodhern
Eodwine/Rowenna

Who else?
Garstan/Stigend
Garmund/Cnebba

I had some preliminary thoughts on them in my post #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in #874
Stigend and Garstan could be quite a fine pair as they are close friends and are used to work together. On the downside G is 35 and S is 30 so they are not so agile in an unfamiliar situation as some younger ones might be - even if they'd realise how to do it mentally.

Cnebba and Garmund will be an interesting pair. They are agile and if they get it right they might be the ones to beat! But there should be something like a roll for their succeeding to co-operate. I'm not talking so much a mental thing as that I think they could do at the moment of competition but a physical one - like if they get the rhythm and understand it, that they are able to pull it off together.

Also the fact of fathers running against their sons might open nice possibilities: like daddies letting the kids win them at the last meters if there was such a situation; the kids trying to take advantage of their fathers' possible fumble
It's up to you lmp as those are just few possibilities among many.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #914
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, so far that's:

Degas/Léođern
Eodwine/Rowenna
Kara/Erbrand
Garstan/Stigend
Garmund/Cnebba
Saeryn/Ginna
Javan/Wilcred

This is shaping up into an interesting race (fun and funny too).

Noggie, is Garmund the leader between he and Cnebba, being older?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #915
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
This is shaping up into an interesting race (fun and funny too).
Definitely.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #916
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Are we still planning on having lunch right now, or are we going ahead with the race?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #917
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Are we still planning on having lunch right now, or are we going ahead with the race?
Lunch first.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #918
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Will lunch be a big scene - a sort of banquet?

-except it would make more sense to have a big celebratory meal after everybody's done running around.

Or will lunch be a sort of a 'and then we ate' and then moving on?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #919
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Lunch first.
OK, thank you. I was a bit confused with all the talk about the race, it sounded as if we were doing that next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Will lunch be a big scene- a sort of banquet?
I would imagine that the banquet would be saved for the evening if there was to be any. I would imagine that lunch would be a kind of time- out scenerio, to relax more than to eat. Besides all that food wouldn't go too well if there was to be a race right after lunch.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #920
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I dreamt that I thought I should write something here... Conscience knocking? I think I will write something this week now that I'm finally less busy. Everybody else seems to have been rather sleepy too of late, though...