The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #81
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Also, look, we've got another one. Oh joy.
Another 2, I think...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #82
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Another 2, I think...
Do tell? I only see rumparee. The other online users are you*, I, Brooke, and Foley.

*You're invisible, actually, but I still know you're on.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #83
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Do tell? I only see rumparee. The other online users are you*, I, Brooke, and Foley.
There was someone else earlier today whose name I don't recall anymore, but he was a spammer...

Quote:
*You're invisible, actually, but I still know you're on.
Yes, I'm wearing the One Ring, and you can't see me! But you can hear me speak, and you know I'm here!

All in honour of my first WW game. As is my siggy.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #84
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
There was someone else earlier today whose name I don't recall anymore, but he was a spammer.
Would that have been the one who was advertising cyber security, of all things? I nearly laughed my head off about that one. A spambot capable of self irony, who would have thought it!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #85
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Would that have been the one who was advertising cyber security, of all things? I nearly laughed my head off about that one. A spambot capable of self irony, who would have thought it!
HAHAHA!!!! Who would have thought of that indeed!!!

I think that's the one. But I might be wrong. They all look alike and there's too many of them.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #86
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
There was someone else earlier today whose name I don't recall anymore, but he was a spammer...
Are you referring to; alecia05, charrmaelydee, lllopez1518, bratt01, darian11, or kitty123. All of whom have registered today, and all of whom seem to be advertising either dog portraits or plumbing....There's more from yesterday, but I got tired of going through the member's list, and not being able to just ban the things....Or the one Pitch mentioned, that posted three separate threads....
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #87
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I have the feeling that there are just two real people behind all the spammers, since there are only 2 things being advertised, as you said.

lllopaz and charrr.....something look familiar. So I take my words back: I saw 2 other spammers other than rumparee. But there are more that I (luckily) didn't notice.

EDIT: I just remembered someone whos User Name was NotASpammer. Funnily enough he didn't have a signature...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-24-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Galadriel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #88
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

This guy looks familiar. I'm sure this is not his first time here!

Is this some spammer attack? Today I neg-repped a tirade for two of them that posted and there are more of them lurking.... And they are not even trying to look intelligent!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #89
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I suppose we will get more even may be as the hobbit hype increases. It is frustrating when you see people registering which you are 99.9% sure are spammers but you can't do anything until they actually post.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #90
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
It is frustrating when you see people registering which you are 99.9% sure are spammers but you can't do anything until they actually post.
Seconded!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #91
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I sometimes wonder how they remember their usernames. Most of them wait a few days after joining before they post.

It would drive me nuts if I had to type cug56UFj04k or something of that sort every time I log in... But most of them only log in once.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #92
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's frustrating, even as a mod, that you have to wait for the spammer's first post to infractionate them into banhood.

Then when it finally does, Aiwendil beats me to it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #93
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Question to all of you (I want to find the degree of my craziness): does someone else also sometimes click on the name of the "newest member" to see whether they have been banned already?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #94
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Yes.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #95
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Question to all of you (I want to find the degree of my craziness): does someone else also sometimes click on the name of the "newest member" to see whether they have been banned already?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Yes.
Haha, you two are funny.

(Now for some reason what I just wrote struck me as something Lommy would write. )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #96
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Oh for goodness sake!... There has been a spammer here for the past few days, reusing its* name, but putting a different number after it every time. It's up to 5 already.

I don't remember how many times I've reported it already, and I'm afraid to think how many more there would have to be.

I am sort of wondering, though, did all those spammers actually watch/read LOTR or did the research to find out the new anti-spam code?

*No, they don't deserve a gender, or recognition that they are in fact people -- in my books they aren't, not until they start acting as such.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #97
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Reusing names is old hat for these cretins.

I doubt they bother to do any "research" about Tolkien or LOTR. At the most they might paraphrase or copy/paste from a legitimate post.

As for the anti-spam word-type requirement, I would think all it takes to get by that (or for that matter, a CAPTCHA), is a live person behind the spam instead of an automated program.
IP bans can be an avenue, but there are certainly ways around that too.

What they don't get is that they're wasting their efforts posting on this forum. The caliber of the intellect here is far too great to click on any of their worthless links.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #98
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
spam-a-lot

I'd change the anti-spam question again, but it's quicker and easier to just delete the spammer.

If you think this is bad, wait until The Hobbit is released. It's gonna get crazy.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #99
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
If you think this is bad, wait until The Hobbit is released. It's gonna get crazy.
Oh yes. I think the main reason this forum is targeted is its high level of activity. The next movie ought to really ramp things up.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #100
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Oh for goodness sake!... There has been a spammer here for the past few days, reusing its* name, but putting a different number after it every time. It's up to 5 already.

I don't remember how many times I've reported it already, and I'm afraid to think how many more there would have to be.
Indeed! Imagine a spambot who would keep coming back again and again, using a new number after its name each time, for like, for example fifty-four times... these spambots are the worst, before you know it, they get over 4000 posts and you might actually start believing they are genuine people...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #101
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Indeed! Imagine a spambot who would keep coming back again and again, using a new number after its name each time, for like, for example fifty-four times... these spambots are the worst, before you know it, they get over 4000 posts and you might actually start believing they are genuine people...
The delineation between spammer and real poster on this site is usually pretty clear-cut; however, on some sites I've been to, one can almost appreciate the sentience of spammers over the puerility of posts made by some allegedly "real" people.

Last edited by Morthoron; 06-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
The delineation between spammer and real poster on site is usually pretty clear-cut; however, on some sites I've been to, one can almost appreciate the sentience of spammers over the puerility of posts made by some allegedly "real" people.
That's horrible!

(The other sites, I mean; it's terrific that the Downs is different)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #103
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I have to say, Morth, I've gone so far as to report a real person as a bot-suspect even here. More than once, I think.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #104
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I have to say, Morth, I've gone so far as to report a real person as a bot-suspect even here. More than once, I think.
I'm probably guilty of that myself. But when it looks like a spammer, and writes like a spammer....
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #105
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Within the past few weeks, I've seen a veritable explosion of random-looking User Names popping up as new members. I refuse to believe they all have innocent intentions.
At this moment, there are nine registering. Nazgűl!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #106
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tar-Jęx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Within the past few weeks, I've seen a veritable explosion of random-looking User Names popping up as new members. I refuse to believe they all have innocent intentions.
At this moment, there are nine registering. Nazgűl!!
They names are all similar in that they are nonsensical, too. We must purge them.
Tar-Jęx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #107
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tolkien

By the flames of Orodruin, they have multiplied! Emergency!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #108
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I haven't seen a single one for a few weeks until yesterday. I kept wanting to comment that we have defeated the spammers, but I didn't want to jinx it. And today I log on and see that I'm surrounded by the foul creatures!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #109
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Over a dozen right now. There can be nothing good from this.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #110
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

There are even more now! I fear the anti-spam measures have been breached. There's no way all these registrations have gone through approved procedures.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #111
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
And at least as of the moment of writing, they seem to have a fixation on the New Silmarillion forum, of all places.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #112
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

There are 31 of them for 4 visible Downers! That's an 8:1 ratio. Let's fix that. *whips out cybersword*

Edit: in the time it took me to post, they multiplied to 36 and the ratio went up to 9:1. Oh boy.

Edit 2: in the time it took me to edit, their numbers (online) went down to 29. There is hope yet?

Edit 3: 42 of them. Heck, I can't edit fast enough to keep track of statistics of such an epic invasion!

Edit4: 50 of them and we're two visible Downers down, bringing the ratio to 25:1!!!

I think I'll stop counting now, because when I refreshed the page the list got slightly longer again... oh man. Not good at all...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #113
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

It's really getting outrageous. What are they doing?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #114
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

And....it looks like they're gone! Is it too early to say, Long live the Barrow-Wight! Praise him with great praise?

EDIT- *sigh*, as of 14:47 here's another registering.

Last edited by Inziladun; 11-23-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #115
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Too soon, just me and a dozen lower lines from an eyesight test chart just now

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #116
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hmm, only one on right now. ??? Dare we hope?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #117
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Hmm, only one on right now. ??? Dare we hope?
They've been purged a few times, I think. We got above 3200 at one point, then down to 3150, and I think we broke 3200 again before back to where we are now.

Hopefully we can stop this. What if it's 4chan? Then we're all screwed.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #118
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I'm really curious about the motives behind them. What are they after?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #119
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Have you considered that, maybe, the bots have grown more sentient, and as a consequence, have developed a taste for Tolkien?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #120
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Have you considered that, maybe, the bots have grown more sentient, and as a consequence, have developed a taste for Tolkien?
Maybe there is hope for the future after all.