The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! Save the Clock Tower

There are about 100 or so regular visitors to the Downs, and for their sake and the sake of the long history of the forum, I just can't let the barrow slip away without a fight.

I am going to try to figure this issue out.

I will be purchasing and installing an upgrade to the forum software, which should solve the problems. We've upgraded before with success, so we should be able to do so again.

Here are the factors involved in the upgrade:

- It costs $209. I'm paying for it, but if anyone cares to chip in, please PM me and we'll figure something out. Donations will be greatly appreciated, but they are completely voluntary.
- I've got two other projects taking a lot of my time this weekend, so it may take me several days to actually get things working correctly again.
- My web maintenance skills have deteriorated so much, I may not be able to figure our how to install the upgrade (unlikely)
- The upgrade might not fix the problem, or might make it worse (very unlikely)

Please reply to let me know if it's worth the time, money, and effort.

It is to me. The Barrow-Downs has been around in one form or another since 1998, and I enjoy it every day, even if my participation nowadays is kicking a handful of spammer accounts a day.

Let me know what you think by replying here, and PM me if you are interested in helping financially.

Thanks!
BW
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up Let's Keep Our Deathly Hangout!

This place has really become so much a part of my daily routine, its absence would make me feel like Frodo after the Ring's destruction.

Quote:
'It is gone forever,' he said, 'and now all is dark and empty.'
After all, where else can I bad-mouth Peter Jackson, harp on Túrin, and gleefully kill hapless villagers in the Night in wolf-form?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
After all, where else can I bad-mouth Peter Jackson, harp on Túrin, and gleefully kill hapless villagers in the Night in wolf-form?
Just so, just so And it already gave me so much, so there is no need to prove its worth to me.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Great quote, Inzil!

The Downs has been too much a part of my life these last ten years for me to want to see it disappear this way. It has led me on to Oxonmoots, to the Tolkien Society and Return of the Ring, and perhaps more significantly to various moots with other Downers across three continents and several oceans. It has inspired one book--Music in Middle-earth--and there's quite possibly another forthcoming.

There's still enough wraiths floating around to make it habitable.

Count me in and see the PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would be incredibly sad to see this site go. It has been and still is the source of a huge online group of friends and I don't think our connection would be the same without it.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hear Hear

We will not go quietly into the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFN1t7Goyk
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not on here half as much as I would or half as much as it deserves, but goodness gracious this place is important to me. I will be celebrating 10 years on here in December. That is longer than I've cared for anything the internet has put out there. A PM is forthcoming
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
And where else could I disagree so enjoyably on the issues of COH? But, of course, the other two points are very applicable.

Off to send a PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Why we love the Downs

In a hole in t'internet there lived a Barrow-wight. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms, an oozy smell, flamers and trolls, nor yet a dry, bare sandy Leggie-fangurl-infested hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was the Barrow-Downs hole, and that means comfort.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Downs is kind of a home to me. No matter where I've lived or stayed, and how cozy or unpleasant it's been, the Downs has been an extra room (or wing, actually) that I could enter.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I love this place so much but I am totally broke at the moment until the house sells... but if it can weather this storm I will make sure I will have something put aside for the next one....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
We have weathered some rocky transitions before. I'll help as much as possible with the upgrade/reconfig, but like you, my fu has atrophied considerably.

Or maybe it will be like riding a bike (unlikely).
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I can probably help out.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

~ BW ~

If you put in the time and effort, it's worth the money to me.
PM sent your way...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This community has given me so much I really should give something back. I'll contribute what I can. PM arriving your way any time soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
This place has really become so much a part of my daily routine, its absence would make me feel like Frodo after the Ring's destruction.

Well said, my furry friend!

Even for those of us who mainly hang out in Mirth, it would still be quite a blow to see our lovely site gone. This place has been so good to me, and I've "met" so many wonderful people through it, that I'd be a horrible person not to help in any way I can. A PM is headed your way, my dear sir.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Barrow-Downs has been a safe and fun place for the past five years for me. I don't have a lot of money, but I will help out any way I can to save the Downs. I have met so many wonderful people here who are now my friends, indeed, some of them are very good friends. If the Downs were to be lost, part of me would also be lost. Off to PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Even though this is my first post in a while, and I don't come on here very often anymore, knowing that it's here whenever I want to show up or to look back on old threads, is comforting to me. This site means a lot to me, and I definitely don't want it to go away! (also PMing right now)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Downers Deliver!

We have had a great response to my please for assistance. Thank you, everyone.

Master Thenamir has a potential fix that will require him to go deep into the subcellar of the barrow to kick some pipes and bricks. If he finds what's loose and sets it right, we may be able to un-depracate ourselves. If not, I'll be contacting everyone who is PMing me and let you know how you can help.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'm rarely here these days and have no idea what this deprecation nonsense is, but I'm willing to help out if I can. Give me a shout if you need a spare pair of hands (I have them in three sizes and all major species).
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

I've bought the upgrade software but can't figure out how to install it safely. But I thought I'd at least let you know i am really working on it.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

Outstanding. I'll send techie-type harmonic vibes your way.

Please let us know how to help with the cost!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ditto. Just tell me where to mail the money.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
So where did everybody go? This place was quite lively a yer ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You tell us... I haven't been anywhere...quieter yes due too various rl issues and not wanting to be the one who knocks the Pan Man orf his perch..but here...

Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
So where did everybody go? This place was quite lively a yer ago.
In addition to what Mith said, I think there's a general "wait and see" stance from a lot of folks in anticipation of the forum upgrade.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I check in every day but RL eats up much of my free time to post. I do have some ideas for threads that, once spring gardening season concludes, might bloom here.

Please let me know, BW, how I can contribute to the software.

*gently nudges, nay, even elbows, The Squatter of Amon Rûdh*
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Aurë entuluva!

Back up and running, I see. And not deprecated! Well done, BW!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Kudos!

And thank you!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well done tech wizards! And thank you.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #31
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Hoom, hom! We Huorns (and Hurons--I went to misspell them at first) add our gratitude to the active Ents for rescuing our forest.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Thumbs up barrowdowns.com to be renamed thenamir.com

After a month of staring into the abyss, I finally handed the tools to Thenamir, who promptly fixed the barrow in about 15 minutes. We are all in his debt, and all praise should be directed his way.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

I saw the whiteness and deprecation and thought

'Oh no! Is this it? Is it all suddenly gone?'

Then checked back later and Thenamir's fixed everything

For he's a jolly good fellow,
and so say all of us
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Thumbs up

Three cheers to Thenamir!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Long live Thenamir! Praise him with great praise!

Hurrah for the Barrow Downs!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #36
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Long li- er, death to the 'Downs and all who had their hands in saving it!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #37
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Long li- er, death to the 'Downs and all who had their hands in saving it!
Haha!

Can everyone now see each other's avvies? I can see most, but some are still gone... And the smiley shows up as a box too.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #38
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can see pretty much everything.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It was my pleasure and privilege to work for such a worthy cause...how could anyone let such jolly good fellowship die such an untimely death? No, wait, we're all dead here already...ummm...to resurrect such a wonderful...no, 'resurrect' means to bring back to life...ah heck, it's working again, and now we can all rest in peace. Glad I could help!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Best deathday present ever after a couple of anxious days otherwise offline watching grids on my Kindle.... nine years dead is not long enough Heartfelt thanks to all concerned in restoring the barrow... now even contra-ing off my years dead against the years alive makes me a bit old for this but I'll act my shoesize not my age.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee.....