The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
New members joining - question

I've sent a young Tolkien fan of my acquaintance here as I thought he would enjoy the fellowship and scholarship of the Downs. He 'activated' his account a couple of days ago but his membership is still awaiting moderation. How long, generally, should this limbo period last?
I seem to remember my membership being up and running straight away, back in the Elder Days, but those were happier times, when it was enough to just speak "friend" and enter. I suppose with the coming of the Spambots out of the East, we are living in more suspicious times....
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lalaith,

Membership is moderated nowadays to reduce spammers, so new joiners must wait until I manually go through the list to prune the bad guys. I try to do this daily, but I was preoccupied with the three-day holiday weekend and completely forgot to check
it over the last few days. I've found your friend's application and have sent him/her an approval. Thanks for the question.

BW
Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
And thank you! Both for bringing the Downs back to life and for going to the trouble of sifting through the membership by hand...must be a real pain.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
And thank you! Both for bringing the Downs back to life and for going to the trouble of sifting through the membership by hand...must be a real pain.
Hopefully your friend's login name isn't X9J45YSZ!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am hoping that Golden Retriever Val is not a dog breeder advertising...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I am hoping that Golden Retriever Val is not a dog breeder advertising...
You know, that could be short for Value.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

No, none of the above! I am very intrigued by the golden retriever....My protégée has been caught in moving-house wifi-down-limbo so not actually appeared yet.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Sorry to be a pain, but when I visited my young friend a few days ago he said he hadn´t been able to activate the link he was sent. I had a look and couldn´t activate it either, it went to ´page not found´. Should he just try to re-register under a different name?
Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I suggest that you reach out directly to BW on this issue. I know too little about the current software to even dare to try to look into this myself.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Have them reregister with a new name and we'll change it to whatever name they want when we get it working. Please PM me with the name they register under and I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks!
BW
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Out of curiosity - have the spammers lifted the siege yet, or are they still waiting outside our gates?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm still seeing suspicious user names here and there, but it appears the defenses are holding.