The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Radagast in The Hobbit Film (SPOILERS)

Apparently, in the Hobbit film, Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair and his beard and hair are covered in bird droppings.

''He is wearing a funnily-shaped hat with dominant brown and black hues, underneath which is revealed a bird’s nest with hatchlings making a mess all in his hair and beard! McCoy brings a disarming, childlike quality to the character. . . ''

"Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown credits costume and make-up with helping him develop his character. His dormouse-like wizard (with animals running in and out of his beard) has a bird’s nest on his head. He said: ‘The birds don’t like to mess their nest so they stick their bottoms out and poo down my face.’

Also, in a drastic change from the source material, Radagast is the first wizard to visit Dol Guldur and discover that an evil power has established itself there. Later, Saruman makes slighting references to Radagast during a meeting with Gandalf and Galadriel. He accuses the Brown Wizard of indulging in mushrooms and dismisses the notion that the evil power Radagast has discovered could be Sauron.

"at one point, the wizard Saruman scathingly says of Sylvester McCoy’s character Radagast that “mushrooms have addled his brain”

He also has a pet hedgehog named Sebastian.

Last edited by TheLostPilgrim; 12-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Apparently, in the Hobbit film, Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair and his beard and hair are covered in bird droppings.

''He is wearing a funnily-shaped hat with dominant brown and black hues, underneath which is revealed a bird’s nest with hatchlings making a mess all in his hair and beard! McCoy brings a disarming, childlike quality to the character. . . ''

"Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown credits costume and make-up with helping him develop his character. His dormouse-like wizard (with animals running in and out of his beard) has a bird’s nest on his head. He said: ‘The birds don’t like to mess their nest so they stick their bottoms out and poo down my face.’

Also, in a drastic change from the source material, Radagast is the first wizard to visit Dol Guldur and discover that an evil power has established itself there. Later, Saruman makes slighting references to Radagast during a meeting with Gandalf and Galadriel. He accuses the Brown Wizard of indulging in mushrooms and dismisses the notion that the evil power Radagast has discovered could be Sauron.

"at one point, the wizard Saruman scathingly says of Sylvester McCoy’s character Radagast that “mushrooms have addled his brain”

He also has a pet hedgehog named Sebastian.
Hmmm...sounds suspiciously derivative of Merlyn in T.H. White's classic The Once and Future King. Merlin had the requisite bird droppings down his robes and a nest of mice in his hair, and a hedgehog plays prominently in the book and the follow-up, The Book of Merlyn, wherein the informal and malaprop-ridden hedgehog refers to King Arthur as "Maggie's Tea" (Your Majesty), or just "Tiggie".

So, it's already been done, and better.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
As far as the accusation of Saruman that Radagast is strung out on mushrooms, supposedly the further artistic license taken by Jackson is Radagast sustains himself on mushrooms and trippy berries. Hence, as a way to explain his loony behavior.

I was semi-looking forward to Saruman's disdain for Radagast. I mean if Radagast is going to be in the film, might as well include Saruman's total lack of respect for him too, that would be nice. But if it's just going to be more recycling of Saruman's verbal backhand to Gandalf "Your love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind." Fan-tastic.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
I am glad they showed Radagast as the cowardly simpleton he was.
His apathy during the War of the Ring has always been absolutely indefensible to me so it was nice to see both Gandalf talking down to him like a child and Saruman ranting about the guy and his poor personal hygiene.

One of Tolkien's most intriguing characters and perhaps one I hate the most. A villain is expected to do evil things, a hero is expected to act with virtue, but someone so completely indifferent is just infuriating to me.
It suggests cowardice, something untrustworthy and rotten.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Hmmm...sounds suspiciously derivative of Merlyn in T.H. White's classic The Once and Future King. Merlin had the requisite bird droppings down his robes and a nest of mice in his hair, and a hedgehog plays prominently in the book and the follow-up, The Book of Merlyn, wherein the informal and malaprop-ridden hedgehog refers to King Arthur as "Maggie's Tea" (Your Majesty), or just "Tiggie".

So, it's already been done, and better.
Did White's Merlyn have a nest of mice in his hair? I'm not arguing but I don't recall. I know he kept dead mice and worms under his skull-cap, and at one point the Wart thinks Merlyn's hair (Merlyn still has his hat on at this point) at least shows signs that seem to indicate a large bird had been nesting in it.

At least White's Merlyn kept pyjamas for wiping off the bird droppings from his head, which got there when the wizard took off his hat and his owl might then perch upon his head.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Elf_NFB
Newly Deceased

Elf_NFB has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg the Ripper View Post
His apathy during the War of the Ring has always been absolutely indefensible to me so it was nice to see both Gandalf talking down to him like a child and Saruman ranting about the guy and his poor personal hygiene.

One of Tolkien's most intriguing characters and perhaps one I hate the most. A villain is expected to do evil things, a hero is expected to act with virtue, but someone so completely indifferent is just infuriating to me.
Don't be mean. Never be mean. Just because we don't KNOW what Radagast was doing doesn't mean he was being a coward. It just means that Tolkien didn't tell us. In the books, he carried a message to Gandalf and set his animal friends to help. Perhaps he was organizing an animal revolt in Mirkwood? Perhaps he was making a nice cup of tea and feeding the rabbits? We don't know. Any speculation tells more about the speculator than the subject. I prefer to think he was doing his part to help save the small animal populace returning to Mirkwood and by his efforts, the Greenwood made a more rapid return to prominence than otherwise would have been possible.
Elf_NFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Honestly thought Radagast was great I saw no humor in the bird's nest on his head, what Isaw instead was a wizard so devoted to protecting the animals he scooped up the nest and put it on his head. the rabbit sled sounded silly but was used to good effect in my opinion. We already had two tall standing competent wizards glad to see radagast bend the archetype somewhat.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I was pleasantly surprised by Radagast in the movie. He was not such as I imagined him, however, I am ready to accept this version of the character for movie purposes.

First of all, he is a part of a wide picture of Middle Earth. If in LoTR films they had to cut chunks of the original story and attempt to reduce this picture to filmable size, in The Hobbit they can present more characters and history. Thus Gandalf introduces wizards in a nicely way, beginning with a weather talk and even tolerating Bilbo asking if other wizards are really worthy or just like Gandalf himself.

Our first impression of Radagast is that this is a silly wizard (I love Silly Wizard ) who is unable to control the course of events when they go grim. It looks as if he is incapable of saving his friend (Sebastian is probably not very typically ME name) and seems to be in danger himself, with something like Nazgul about to break in. However he remains totally concentrated on his task and suddenly comes up with such a powerful spell that the hedgehog starts breathing and opens his eyes; and whatever it was outside has gone. This silly wizard is indeed a Maia.

Going to check Dol Gudur after finding out the malice of its new inhabitants, Radagast proves he is a valiant wizard. There he manages to defeat and disarm a Nazgul (probably Witch King), and comes under the direct attack of Sauron himself. That leaves him shattered but he was still able to take the Morgul blade and present it to Gandalf.

Races on the rabbit sledge look a bit silly and unnecessary but do not ruin the movie. In the end a little bit of silliness suites The Hobbit.

Checking Dol Gudur, taking the blade as a trophy and meeting Sauron face to face - all this plays a very important role in the story: Gandalf obtains a confirmation that his attempt to regain the Lonely Mountain is a right move. This also can explain why Radagast would be reluctant to fight openly: he was one of the few who faced Sauron's direct assault.

The bottom line is that people who seem silly and weird should not be overlooked. They sometimes can be worthy and contribute a lot.

Last edited by Sarumian; 12-19-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Radagast was sort of a fan fiction character in the movie. What I mean is that Peter Jackson is making up stuff about Radagast like his bunny sled and lodgings. I was entertained by the bunny chase scene though. The bird **** on his hair made him look like an imbecile though. I'm not saying the inclusion of Radagast is a bad thing though.

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorthelion View Post
Radagast was sort of a fan fiction character in the movie. What I mean is that Peter Jackson is making up stuff about Radagast like his bunny sled and lodgings. I was entertained by the bunny chase scene though. The bird **** on his hair made him look like an imbecile though. I'm not saying the inclusion of Radagast is a bad thing though.
Radagast is an imbecile. And a criminally apathetic one at that.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
I hated Radagast in the film (though I supported his appearance). He was just not what a member of the Istari should have been. There is one thing loving animals, but it is another having no dignity. If anything in the books he comes across as slightly snobbish with the way he looks down at the Shire. Having bird drops on his head was not only disgusting but beneath a Maia. I will not even mention the use of mushrooms as a psychedelic drug. Was very disappointed with him in the film.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I liked Radagast's portrayal - though I'm not too keen on the bird-dropping hair. The scene with the hedgehog was something I found very interesting and showed something fundamental about him.
He's an Istari, an Ainur, a powerful wizard with the skill to subdue the spiders and remove the dark curse. However, he chose to channel his powers into the tiny, helpless hedgehog. You may call this petty and a waste of his powers, but no doubt this is how Saruman saw Gandalf. Why waste time on halflings and Dwarves? Why bother with pipeweed and simple things when there is great power and doom going on?
Radagast would probably get on well with the Ents, I imagine.

I didn't like the bunny sled when it was leading the Orcs on a merry chase. In the forest it seemed okay as it was mostly hidden and could be overlooked easily. It just struck me as something popped in to entertain the younger audiences and possibly for some future merchandise.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Alcidas
Animated Skeleton

Alcidas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post

I didn't like the bunny sled when it was leading the Orcs on a merry chase. In the forest it seemed okay as it was mostly hidden and could be overlooked easily. It just struck me as something popped in to entertain the younger audiences and possibly for some future merchandise.
Games Workshop would probably make a bunny sled miniature and sell it for Ł50 per kit or something
Alcidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just how Gandalf cares for the little people of Middle-Earth, Radagast (a step down in him in power) cares for its creatures.

In the War of the Ring, I could easily see him using his powers to act as a force multiplier for the elves in Mirkwood. What use is an army of orcs if you can split them up, isolate them, and hunt them down in small bands?
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
In the War of the Ring, I could easily see him using his powers to act as a force multiplier for the elves in Mirkwood. What use is an army of orcs if you can split them up, isolate them, and hunt them down in small bands?
Excellent point; remember that according to the Silmarillion, during the battle of The Last Alliance, even the animals took sides, some upon one side, some upon the other. Except for the elves.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
I hated Radagast in the film (though I supported his appearance). He was just not what a member of the Istari should have been. There is one thing loving animals, but it is another having no dignity. If anything in the books he comes across as slightly snobbish with the way he looks down at the Shire. Having bird drops on his head was not only disgusting but beneath a Maia. I will not even mention the use of mushrooms as a psychedelic drug. Was very disappointed with him in the film.
Do wizards need such a pathetic thing as dignity? I say 'pathetic' because surely a wizard, in Tolkien's creation or indeed in any other writer's, is an inherently powerful being, much more so than a mere Man. 'Dignity' is something we humans need to set ourselves above or apart from the common herd and wizards by their nature have no need of that.

McCoy's portrayal of Radagast is not unlike a lot of figures in folklore - eccentric, unfathomable, even a bit disgusting.

As for him being 'silly', it puzzles me that when Jackson chose to excise the 'silly' things from the essentially very serious Lord of the Rings text, such as Tom Bombadil, he was praised. Yet when he chooses to echo the incredibe silliness of the text of The Hobbit, he is lambasted.

I wasn't keen on a hedgehog being named 'Sebastian' as the name was a bit jarring (I associate it with Brideshead Revisited and posh people's children), though I have my suspicions that might be McCoy's idea or an in-joke somewhere along the line.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I wasn't keen on a hedgehog being named 'Sebastian' as the name was a bit jarring (I associate it with Brideshead Revisited and posh people's children), though I have my suspicions that might be McCoy's idea or an in-joke somewhere along the line.
Indeed it is! Or so he said when I heard him talk at a Doctor Who convention a few months back.

But Sebastian isn't so bad. I mean, we've got the trolls; Burt, Tom, William; Bill the pony (and Myrtle, Daisy etc), so it doesn't seem so jarring to me in that context.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Indeed it is! Or so he said when I heard him talk at a Doctor Who convention a few months back.

But Sebastian isn't so bad. I mean, we've got the trolls; Burt, Tom, William; Bill the pony (and Myrtle, Daisy etc), so it doesn't seem so jarring to me in that context.
My geek-dar is in tune then and I was correct

I suppose I just really do not like the name 'Sebastian' because I associate it with snooty beggars. Because Tom, Bert and William have no jarring effect on me at all! Though....Tolkien does use names like Sam, which is also a fairly ordinary name. I can't think of any other characters with names similar to or the same as real life toff's names.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
My geek-dar is in tune then and I was correct

I suppose I just really do not like the name 'Sebastian' because I associate it with snooty beggars. Because Tom, Bert and William have no jarring effect on me at all! Though....Tolkien does use names like Sam, which is also a fairly ordinary name. I can't think of any other characters with names similar to or the same as real life toff's names.
St. Sebastian is the patron saint of hedgehogs. St. Sebastian, if you recall, was martyred by being shot through with arrows; ie., he was a human pincushion; ergo, pincushions and hedgehogs are alike.

As far as Snooty Hobbit names, there are several, such as Sancho, Fredegar, Mirabella, Ferdinand, Rosamunda (Spanish), Otho, Hugo (Norman), Everard (Burgundian), Gerontius (Latin), Gordaboc, Gormadoc, Meriadoc (Welsh), Ordovacar (Gothic), Sigismond, Adalrida (Germanic).

Still, Sebastian sounds off, particularly since Radagast is a Maia with no upper middle class Hobbit friends and no Spanish in his background. Just weird and yet another jarring moment in TH:AUJ.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
St. Sebastian is the patron saint of hedgehogs. St. Sebastian, if you recall, was martyred by being shot through with arrows; ie., he was a human pincushion; ergo, pincushions and hedgehogs are alike.

As far as Snooty Hobbit names, there are several, such as Sancho, Fredegar, Mirabella, Ferdinand, Rosamunda (Spanish), Otho, Hugo (Norman), Everard (Burgundian), Gerontius (Latin), Gordaboc, Gormadoc, Meriadoc (Welsh), Ordovacar (Gothic), Sigismond, Adalrida (Germanic).

Still, Sebastian sounds off, particularly since Radagast is a Maia with no upper middle class Hobbit friends and no Spanish in his background. Just weird and yet another jarring moment in TH:AUJ.
Even the inbred and insane English upper classes don't use names like those! Hugo perhaps, though that's a bit 'trendy' nowadays. They all sound far too sinisterly Celtic or Iberian for the English to use them.

I'm waiting for the extended DVD so I can hear what McCoy has to say about it (well, what he has to say about anything really, since he's always worth listening to).
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
this knowledge shall be repeated many times tomorrow
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I was disappointed in Radagast's portrayal as a whole. McCoy was a potentially worthy choice, and the more serious parts of the role were done well. I'm also okay with him being a little silly or spaced out.

Unfortunately, the extent of his stuttering and hyperactivity overshadowed that - especially with how heavy they are when he first appears. That first impression will stick with those just being introduced to him, and I think that's a pity.

He could've been a bit more absent minded than the condescending Saruman or the warm, personable Gandalf, but a bumbling clown smeared with bird droppings was not at all what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg the Ripper View Post

I don't think any of it is his fault, though. Radagast was miscast. I don't mean in the movie, but for his Istar role in the actual war as an emissary to Middle-earth. That Saruman had disdain for Radagast does not surprise me in the least as Saruman often comes across as dismissive. When someone is in the least bit a hindrance or threat to him or his rank, he gets cranky.

At the council when the Istari were chosen, there were initially just three planned, and only two volunteered: Saruman and Alatar. Olorin was summoned by Manwe as third, Alatar brought Pallando as a friend, and importantly, "[Saruman] took [Radagast] because Yavanna begged him." Aiwendil [Radagast] was not banging down the door to go himself.

His 'boss' roped him into it, and after we see how it plays out, it seems entirely probable that it actually went as intended. As the council had originally "resolved to send out three emissaries," Yavanna could have seen no harm in including a fourth of her own, set out to look for creatures that the other three would not have the time or purpose.

Quote:
There is no hint of an explanation of why Yavanna's evident desire that the Istari should include in their number one with a particular love of the things of her making could only be achieved by imposing Radagast's company on Saruman; while the suggestion in the essay on the Istari that in becoming enamoured of the wild creatures of Middle-earth Radagast neglected the purpose for which he was sent if perhaps not perfectly in accord with the idea of his being specially chosen by Yavanna. (Unfinished Tales)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
And why does a wizard always have to look in a spiffy robe?

Obviously not every one will or should. Each has their own personality & lives to lead.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Now...about that Rabbit sled. "Where did that come from?" "What the....?"

In the words of our greatest Welsh poet. It's not unusual.

Amongst others are these:

Beatrix Potter

Vintage 1800's British advert

German Christmas card

And also even more to be found amongst many lovely vintage Easter cards featuring rabbits pulling little carts, like this:

Easter bunny cart
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I may have liked PJ's Radagast in the Narnia films, but he needs to be kicked out of Middle-earth. Now. Rabbits pulling a sledge and outrunning Wargs? I've never met Tolkien, but I'm pretty sure he'd weep his heart out if he saw that part, if not lose consciousness.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

At another site the rabbit sled was characterized as hailing from Northern sources, and others seemed to be very thankful for the information, giving the impression [to me] that they thought the idea was thus better defended because it hailed from sources Tolkien had read* or was aware of, and could be characterized as Northern. And I only say 'others' because, even if so, I would find this rather broad in any case.

Or from another perspective: the idea was argued to not be wholly original. But if it was, I'm guessing it would be defended with: '... at least it's imaginative and wholly original!'

*Bifur's brow bursting brain befuddler was likewise compared to a piece of hone once lodged in Donner's head.

Last edited by Galin; 01-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

The aghast at the bird droppings is rather laughable for me.

Remember this is pre-Medieval times. Personal hygiene, etc, was best for the aristocracy & royalty. Everyone else washed maybe once a week in a creek, or tub if they could.

Where's the complaint about unkempt hair and tattered clothes? We're lucky these things aren't more severe & only portrayed for Evil characters as ignoring/having difficulty with appearance/health. Naturally they're more widespread. Only after battle are the 'good guys' shown to have wounds or blood stains, apart from Aragorn when 'Strider'.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm not sure anyone in any times kept birds under their hats. And even White's Merlyn kept pyjamas to wipe his head off, when his Owl might land on his head and cause a mess.

And from the pictures I have seen, this is a notable amout of droppings on a part of the body I would think an Istar of Rhosgobel might want to attend to.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"And why does a wizard always have to look in a spiffy robe?

Obviously not every one will or should. Each has their own personality & lives to lead."

In case you hadn't noticed, Gandalf's robes are pretty shabby around the edges. But what he does have- what *any* of Tolkien's Istari had, regardless of "personality," was dignity- something Elmer Fuddagast has none of whatsoever.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Not being able to wash up, or in some way bathe regularly, is not at all the same as just letting birds defecate on you. Spin it however you want, Radagast's appearance was more of the same over the top, ridiculous lack of subtlety from Jackson. (And I say this as someone who for the most part, enjoyed the movie, including the way Radagast was used. But his appearance is Jackson going overboard again.)

There is absolutely nothing wrong or rude about Legolas' post. So, can we please move on from that topic?

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-01-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Well, as I pointed out earlier, the location of Radagasts' residence was hardly conducive to regular washes. I don't recall even in the movie a slight glimpse of a stream, etc, unless I missed it.

Nor Toklein addressing these kinds of lifestyle issues. He focused on the story events and themes, not these lifestyle decisions . So it relatively a speculative issue. Did he CHOOSE to leave that poop on his face, or have difficulty regularly washing?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Water is the essential for life, embodied even a maia presumably needs to drink and animals do. Radagast must have had access to a stream or spring.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #33
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

That's speculation. So don't bother putting it in an online encyclopedia profile page like on Tolkein Gateway, it'd be removed.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #34
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I wonder why this film is generating such animosity? Please post politely and on the subject - posts that simply address other members' right to hold their own opinions, etc. will be deleted without warning. Should the animosity continue, the thread will be closed.

Thank you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Though I must say that I have *never* heard of a forum where evidence-based arguments are *forbidden*.

TORN. Or at least, factual content is irrelevant there if the post doesn't conform to the forum requirement of slobbering PJ-worship.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #36
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhod the Red View Post
It may not be a rule here, but like the rules you sometimes see like 'Don't roll eyes' it can be seen as unfair, or bullying, whatever phrase you want to use, to respond in an online forum with facts, especially a lot of facts. It doesn't matter if the post is 100% true, you're being unfair to the other poster.
What on earth? Using facts is bullying, and unfair...? I'm pretty sure everyone here has access to the Silm and thus to the same facts, and I don't think I'm wrong in believing most of us here appreciate informative, well researched posts! I don't know what these other forums you refer to are, but they certainly sound lovely.

On topic, I'm actually a bit torn about Radagast. I was put off by his costume and lack of dignity at first, but then it started to seem appropriate: he has become immersed in the natural world, and is thus not disgusted by its messiness. Like someone else mentioned, a shepherd becoming like his sheep, or an ent becoming treeish. It looks like an altered state of consciousness, psychedelic mushrooms aside; there is something zen about him.

"certainly the sparrow has Buddha nature. Indeed it is very intelligent; it knows that Buddha is very compassionate, that is why it left its droppings on the head of the Buddha instead of leaving it on the head of a hawk! "

"Also, Buddhist monks used the droppings to polish and clean their bald scalps."

Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhod the Red View Post
'... So it relatively a speculative issue. Did he CHOOSE to leave that poop on his face, or have difficulty regularly washing?'
I would say he either chose to, or maybe was so out of his mind that he wasn't aware of bird droppings running down to his shoulders in his hair, despite that he seems aware that he kept birds under his hat.

Or maybe you have some other reason? Not washing because he doesn't have easy access to water doesn't cut it in my opinion, as...

A) I doubt Tolkien's maps intend to show every source of water in the lands depicted, never mind the collection of rain.

B) One doesn't necessarily need water to wipe excrement off of one's head. White's Merlyn didn't.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'm probably closer to Radagast in terms of experiencing rural filth than most others here ever will be. And I'm old enough to remember the 1970s when it was normal to only have a bath once a week, whether you had an indoor bathroom or not. I also worked on my brother's travelling shop and we went to the really isolated farms on Saturdays. At one old farm, a couple had moved the bed into the 'kitchen', which was just a room with a range, a sink and a load of hens running round and pooing on the table/chairs/everything. The filth was spectacular.

As for poo, one day I was wearing my nice new brown M&S anorak while messing with my nan's hens and as usual carrying them round under my arm, ending up with my pockets full of dung. One of the jobs my boatmen ancestors did in the 1800s was load their barges with 'nightsoil' to spread all over the fields and grow taters and carrots in. Yum!

Has nobody heard of the saying "Muck for luck?" It's a way of laughing off the highly likely chance that you will get pooed on by a pigeon/seagull in the UK. If you're sat on the graveyard wall and enjoying a bag of chips and get divebombed you don't go screaming like a girl for antiseptic wipes, you just let it dry and then pick it off later. No sense in letting your chips go cold.

All of which is my way of explaining that rural filth was very much a part of life not many years ago, and a lot of us aren't even now that bothered by it, so it's not something I have to suspend disbelief on one little bit to accept that anyone living in the middle ages or the wildwood might get covered in guano and muck.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
... so it's not something I have to suspend disbelief on one little bit to accept that anyone living in the middle ages or the wildwood might get covered in guano and muck.

Are you going to argue that any of your scenarios (in post 47) are really equivalent to what we have with Jackson's character? No doubt if you have birds living under your hat you might get bird droppings on your head... so you wipe the droppings off your head when they occur, water or no; and especially that much.

I haven't seen anyone complain that Radagast is generally unclean, it's the over the top treatment of Peter Jackson's 'Radagast' that appears to be the objection.

Last edited by Galin; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #40
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Not washing because he doesn't have easy access to water doesn't cut it in my opinion, as...
By the way I apologize for not writing the more obvious and thus better 'doesn't wash' instead of 'doesn't cut it'.

Drat.