The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Yikes! Deprecation!!

What's happening, avatars disappearing, general weirdness and wobbly stuff, and being deprecated by the good old Downs??

Run around panic and freak out!

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 48

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 96

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 100

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 108

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 119

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 123

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 131

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 200

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on line 413

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/class_core.php on line 2381

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/class_core.php on line 1538
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's happening to me too! And the box around my typing is white! It's supposed to be black! And the Downs is now larger than my screen, so I have to scroll horizontally - this only ever happens on threads with huge pictures in them.

The deprecation and the whie box and the screen were there in the morning (and now it's night), but now I can't see Rumil's avatar either. Panic!

ETA: ...But I can see Legate's and Sally's and Agan's and some others' avvies. Weird. But the quote function is also weird - it outlines quotes in white. And the titles of the threads look like I'm in compatibility mode (ie there is no underlining, only bolding). Very weird.

Quote:
Just testing out the quote function
See? It's white!

Panic!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Me too. No nerwen avvie lots of depreciation and white box etc etc...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The admins are aware of the situation and are looking for solutions. If any member/s know how this can be fixed, please post your ideas here. Thank you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't know much about computer but it seem to be an issue in the cript for the page... I notcied everyone is getting the same numbers:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/barrowwight/public_html/forum.barrow/includes/init.php on
line 48
line 96
line 100
line 108
line 119
line 123
line 131
line 200
line 413
line 2381
line 1538

Don't know if that helps...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, I asked our IT guy at work about this. Unfortunately, website design is not his forte, so he was pretty much at a loss.

I know hardly anything about the matter myself, but I guess it's not as simple as looking at the indicated lines and examining them for errors.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Actually, the only avatar I can't see is Rumil's.

The forum looks normal to me, apart from the deprecation messages.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry for the double post, I submitted before thinking of trying to find a solution myself. I'm not familiar with php and you may already have found all this, but here are some links (in chronological order from newest to oldest) just in case they're any help.

http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.deprecated.php

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/f...-is-deprecated

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...d-in-home-car?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Some of those lines appear to affect color, so that could account for the changed backgrounds and so forth.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
I know hardly anything about the matter myself, but I guess it's not as simple as looking at the indicated lines and examining them for errors.
I think the problem is larger than those lines. It looks to me like the server has been upgraded to PHP5, while the version of vBulletin we're running was written for PHP4. The 'deprecated' warnings just mean that at those lines, there is a PHP4 usage (in this case, an ampersand for passing a reference) that - while it still works in PHP5 - is no longer recommended (and may be unsupported in future revisions of PHP). The other problems (missing avatars, etc.) are probably due to code that is actually no longer compatible with PHP5, rather than just being deprecated.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
I think the problem is larger than those lines. It looks to me like the server has been upgraded to PHP5, while the version of vBulletin we're running was written for PHP4. The 'deprecated' warnings just mean that at those lines, there is a PHP4 usage (in this case, an ampersand for passing a reference) that - while it still works in PHP5 - is no longer recommended (and may be unsupported in future revisions of PHP). The other problems (missing avatars, etc.) are probably due to code that is actually no longer compatible with PHP5, rather than just being deprecated.
That would make sense. Can we upgrade to the new version? I'll be happy to contribute.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Upgrading is the likely solution to this problem. I'll see what that would cost and what steps would need to be taken to do it and reply here. In the meantime, I hope everyone will have patience.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

I'm as much use as a chocolate teapot at these sorts of things so can only wish the mods the best of luck!

For me (in Explorer 10 for my sins) the colours are all right (except while writing a post strangely where the frame for the text box is white ?!) but everyone's avatars are missing.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
For me (in Explorer 10 for my sins) the colours are all right (except while writing a post strangely where the frame for the text box is white ?!) but everyone's avatars are missing.
I use Google Chrome, and for me, the main difference apart from the lines at the top is the color of the typing box. The avvies are usually present.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Actually, the only avatar I can't see is Rumil's.
I can see most people's, but not Rumil's, BWH's, or Thena's.

A cucumber would be able to figure out the issue faster than I would. Anyone who I've skyped/chatted with online can probably testify to how computer illiterate I am ("Why isn't it working?" "Because you didn't turn it on!" "How do I turn it on?" "You press the button that says [...]!" "Where's the button?"...) Like Rumil I wish the mods and admins luck with this, and I'd gladly help so long as it's something I can actually do.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Upgrading is the likely solution, and I think I could work it out. I've figured it out before.

The upgrade costs $209.

Shall we have a bake sale?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
Upgrading is the likely solution, and I think I could work it out. I've figured it out before.

The upgrade costs $209.

I don't have a PayPal account, but I can send something the way I did last time.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't have a PayPal account, but I can send something the way I did last time.
What way is that because I too have no pay pal...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
Whom shall we cook?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ditto about paypal, but I have some cash put away, and I don't mind sending a couple bills for the Downs' sake...