The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Admin Thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth LXVI: The Night Guard

This is a game in which the entire village chooses who they want to save. Each Day, in addition to voting for whoever you want to lynch, you must also vote for who want to save from being killed in the Night. This game will be set in a village in Middle-Earth (just for your information).

These are the current rules and roles (They may change if there aren't enough players):

Rules and Roles:

Roles:

The Werewolves: The "bad guys" of the game. There will be four of them. When all four are alive, they will be able to vote two players to kill each Night. Once one of them has been eliminated, they will only get one kill per Night.

The Gifteds: There will be three gifteds:
  • The seer: Each Night the seer votes a player whose identity they wish to uncover. They will be able to tell whether the player is a Werewolf, a Ranger, a Hunter, or an Innocent.
  • The Ranger: Each Night the Ranger chooses who they want to save from being killed by the Werewolves. The Ranger cannot save themselves or the same person twice in a row.
  • The Hunter: Each Day the Hunter chooses a target. If they are lynched or Night-killed and their target is a Werewolf, the Werewolf dies. If the target is anything else, then nothing happens.

Warning: There will be some secret and/or modified roles as well.

Lynching:

To Lynch: Each Day, every player must place a Lynch vote. It must be bolded and highlighted with two plus signs in from, like so:

++Eönwë

Once during the game, each player is permitted to abstain from voting, and it must be done like so:

+-Abstain

Warning: If everyone abstains on one Day, a member of the village will be picked at random to be lynched.

One retractable Lynch-Vote is allowed for each player during the course of the game. No multiple lynchings. If there is a tie in voting, the lynchee will be decided randomly by the roll of a die.

Guarding
When a person is guarded, then cannot be killed by the wolves that Night. If the person is a wolf, they may not make any contact at Night with the other Werewolves (therefore they may not PM, and they will not be counted as a living werewolf for that Night). If this wolf is the hunter's target, they will not be killed. If the person is a seer, they can have their dream. If the person is a ranger, they cannot protect anyone. If the person is a hunter, they can still pick someone to hunt, but it will only count during the Day phase, as the hunter will not be able to attacked that Night.

To Guard: Each Day each player must choose someone who they want to be guarded in the Night phase. It must be written like so:

++Guard Eönwë

Two retractable Guard-Votes are allowed per player for the duration of the game. Players cannot vote for themselves. You cannot vote the same player for two or more Days in a row. The same person cannot be guarded more for two or more Days in a row.

Modfire
If you do not vote either way for three consecutive Days, you will be modfired. No exceptions. This includes if you do not Guard-Vote one Day and do not Lynch-Vote the next, etc. If this happens when all the Werewolves are alive, they will only get one Night kill.

Deadline: Deadline will be 22:00 GMT (Which is 23:00 UK time, 18:00 EST and 17:00 CST. If your time-zone is not there then check what time it works out to be here)

And most importantly: Have fun! It's a game.

--------------------------------------------------

Eönwë- Mayor (The Mod)

-

Players

Legate of Amon Lanc- the village broker
Inziladun- the village brewer
satansaloser2005- The village librarian (Mistress of the books)
Mnemosyne- the village coquette
A Little Green- the village butcher
wilwarin538- the village barmaid
Pitchwife- the village mason
alonariel- the village blacksmith
Hakon- the village innkeeper
Brinniel- the village witch
Thinlómien- the village chief gardener
Boromir88- the village pig farmer
Nienna- the village potter
Nerwen- a wandering minstrel
Kitanna- the village hermit
Nessa Telrunya- the village seamstress
McCaber- chief (only) miner, head of miners' guild
Nilpaurion Felagund- the village fool
Shastanis Althreduin- the village apothecary
Nogrod- the retired bourgeois

Please choose professions and names (optional) to make to make it more authentic/interesting- this one is set in a village, after all.

You may also post suggestions for the village's name as it currently does not have one.

The game has now started.

Last edited by Eönwë; 09-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd like to be a brewer. 'A beer so brown' and all that.
I'll have to think on a name.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm not sure if I can play yet.... but I am a little bit confused on the night guard thing and the wolves getting to pick 2 players. So the village gets to pick someone to be guarded. Got that. What confuses me is since the wolves will be picking as well and will know who is guarded then they wouldn't try and kill that person so the guard seems kind of pointless... I think there is something major that I'm not understanding probably about the two wolf pick things so maybe if you can explain a little bit?

Also is there a time when you want to start by and a time you are considering for DL?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
It's been a while, but...

I'm in.

I shall be the village coquette.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Count me in, please. I'll be the butcher.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I am to deliver the message that wilwa would like to be added on with a question mark, she will be gone a few days, and will let you know for sure when she's back.

I wish I could sign-up too, but school started back up, and I'm going to get real busy in a week. Best of luck to ye Eonwe.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I'm not sure if I can play yet.... but I am a little bit confused on the night guard thing and the wolves getting to pick 2 players. So the village gets to pick someone to be guarded. Got that. What confuses me is since the wolves will be picking as well and will know who is guarded then they wouldn't try and kill that person so the guard seems kind of pointless... I think there is something major that I'm not understanding probably about the two wolf pick things so maybe if you can explain a little bit?
Ok.
  1. You're right about the fact that the wolves know who's being saved. It's just that the village gets to choose someone who definitely won't be wolf killed. That's why we still have a ranger.
  2. The two-wolf-kill thing will only work in a larger village, when there's enough people. I might get rid of it and/or one of our wolves if we don't get enough participants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Also is there a time when you want to start by and a time you are considering for DL?

Thanks!
DL is 22:00 GMT (it's in the first post). The game will start when there are enough players.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-25-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
This looks too interesting to miss, and the DL's ideal for me. I'll be the mason.
As for the village name - if it's somewhere in the Shire, I'd suggest Upper Downsbury.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Sign me up. Can I be the village blacksmith?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I probably won't be as active this game, just to let you know. The DL may or may not conflict with work (if they ever give me an office and thus trap me there all day....heh). In other news, I think we need a library. Consider me the book mistress.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will be less active in this game then I was in the last game. I am a bit more busy now but I still have a large amount of time on my hands. Also I will be the innkeeper.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sign me up as the village witch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
Each Day, in addition to voting for whoever you want to lynch, you must also vote for who want to save from being killed in the Night.
Sounds like an interesting concept. Though, is there going to be a rule where we can't vote to guard the same person on consecutive Days? Because while it'll be awesome for the village to have a chance to keep a revealed gifted protected for an extra Night, it'll really suck for the wolves if they can't ever kill the seer if they were to reveal.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Count me in too. Can't resist trying to play with Mnemo and playing with Legate after a long while. Besides, your rules look interesting. (Although - should it be banned to vote yourself in the guard vote? I think that would be sensible and prevent the vote from spreading to everybody voting themselves.) I will be a gardener.

PS. Hakon is twice on the player list.

edit: xed with Brinn, yay!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
alonariel
Wight

Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Boro would like to sign up, and is going to be the village pig farmer.

Where's wilwa? I gotta give her a high five.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Sounds like an interesting concept. Though, is there going to be a rule where we can't vote to guard the same person on consecutive Days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
(Although - should it be banned to vote yourself in the guard vote? I think that would be sensible and prevent the vote from spreading to everybody voting themselves.)
Yes and yes.

Quote:
PS. Hakon is twice on the player list.
Fixed

PS. Look for updates in first post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #16
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm in but I'm going to be home for a little while and then helping a fabulous person move in

So I'll do my best to be around.

I will be the village potter.

And thanks for the rule clarifications ... everything makes much more sense... my brain just wasn't really working and obviously I missed when you said DL.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
All right, let me be the village broker. I know everybody and everyone, even outside the village, and I can help with anything. For a reasonable price, of course. But my prices are always reasonable.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Sign me up as the village witch.
Will your opening quote be "I sense a soul in search for answers"?
And we already have a butcher...
(Who readst, understand...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Can't resist trying to play with Mnemo
"Try" is, of course, the operative word here... *searches for "madcap" smiley to insert but cannot find*
Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sign me up with a questionmark, please. It's way too long since I last played, but I don't know how busy I'm going to be when school starts.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
By the way, even if we get enough players soon, can we please not start until next week? Agan and I will be absent for the weekend.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
Boro would like to sign up, and is going to be the village pig farmer.
I have chosen to be a fuller and a muckraker before...so pig farming actually might be a step up. If you thought I'd get flustered you'll have to do better than pig farming. Your other suggestion may have done it, then again mayhaps not.

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-25-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #23
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Now I have to STOP myself typing backwards!

Count me in. I'm a wandering minstrel staying at the inn.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sign me up. It's been a long while since my last WW game. I'll be the village hermit. Cranky and weird, living with some cats.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Sign me up. It's been a long while since my last WW game. I'll be the village hermit. Cranky and weird, living with some cats.
Dear, you're supposed to have a game role, not tell us your life story.

And in other news....

*pounces*

Yay for Kit playing! I bugged Roa on facebook so maybe she'll be tempted over here too.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #26
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
1420!

Quote:
Where's wilwa? I gotta give her a high five.
*high fives back* (not sure why we're high fiveing though, haha....)

Eonwe, you may remove the question mark, I am most definitely in. This game looks really cool, I love the little twists you came up with! Could definitely not pass this on up!

This has to be my last one though, I need to learn some self control

Oh, hmmm, occupation....I shall be the village barmaid!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Oh, hmmm, occupation....I shall be the village barmaid!
Wonderful. So all we need anymore is only a peg-legged boy. Is Form not playing? He could have been the archbishop.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Wonderful. So all we need anymore is only a peg-legged boy. Is Form not playing? He could have been the archbishop.
I bet we could twist his arm....
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #29
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
By the way, even if we get enough players soon, can we please not start until next week? Agan and I will be absent for the weekend.
We'll see how long it takes first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Sadly not. He's told me that he can't.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë, re: Form
Sadly not. He's told me that he can't.
But....but....but....but....

:'(
Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #31
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Hmm.. Sounds like fun! Are we going to be very in-character? I would like to play, and you can sign me up as the village seamstress!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
Sounds like fun! Are we going to be very in-character?
I'm not going to force you (plural- see, this is when the word ye comes in handy) to, but by all means do, especially on the first Day.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

And the game thread is up to give you a bit of a taster.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-28-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #34
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post

Warning: There will be some secret and modified roles as well.
Will you be letting us in on how many secret roles there will be? Or is just going to be something that reveals itself over the course of the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally
Dear, you're supposed to have a game role, not tell us your life story.
I've been pretty absent from WW for a while, I expected a warmer welcome. You're ever so cruel Sally. *cries*

How close are we to starting this game? Eonwe said it'd start when there were enough players, but how many is enough? I ask because I'm going to be away from a computer for a couple of days starting tomorrow and I'd hate to come back Monday night and see the day has progressed without me.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #35
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
How close are we to starting this game? Eonwe said it'd start when there were enough players, but how many is enough? I ask because I'm going to be away from a computer for a couple of days starting tomorrow and I'd hate to come back Monday night and see the day has progressed without me.
Well, I was hoping for quite a large village, but it seems that we may, at most get a few players. I was thinking of leaving it open for people to sign up for another 36 hours from the time of the DL today, and then starting the game the day after tomorrow at DL. However, please state your preferences (this goes for all of you) as I am willing to change it if enough people want to.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #36
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So my work schedule just cleared up, and I'm ahead of where I want as far as writing A Full Moon Over Innsmouth goes... hmm.

Sign me up. I shall be the chief (and only) miner of the village, as well as the head of the miner's guild.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #37
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Sign me up. I shall be the chief (and only) miner of the village, as well as the head of the miner's guild.
Love it

In fact, I love all of your (plural that is again) professions, I just never got a chance to say so.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'm good with any starting day, as long as the DL doesn't change.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #39
alonariel
Wight

I might be available this weekend so any time after today works for me : )
Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #40
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm good with any starting day, as long as the DL doesn't change.
Quote:
I might be available this weekend so any time after today works for me : )
Good, good