The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting Whose weapons are the coolest?

Who would you say has the coolest weapons in Middle-Earth? Aragorn and Boromir, with their cool broadswords? Gimli with his axe? The bare hands of Helm Hammerhand? Theoden's sword? Arwen's?<P>Personally, I am in love with Narsil. I own a reproducion of it!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

Gandalf's staff
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:39 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely Narsil, although any old sort of sword will do, as long as it is Gondorian.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 AM   #4
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I assume we are talking about the weapons in the movies, since this is the 'Movies' forum, in which case I have to say that I like Legolas's weapons, the Bow of Lorien and the two blades he wields at Helm's Deep.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:45 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I love Sting but Andúril is mightier. Gurthang was cool but kind of scary. The bow of Legolas is a great and beautiful weapon, too. I have to solve the problem by asking: If I could have one replica of some weapon which would I choose? Sting.

edit:ahem...Gurthang wasn't in the film but who cares. Besides I din't even choose it.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 AM   #6
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would certainly choose the two blades Legolas carries and plays with in the TT. He must have really enjoyed learning to master the swinging of those two elfic blades.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Long swords with names, ringing out from their scabbarbs turns me on! The teaser pic of Aragorn holding up Anduril is tops in my book, though the length of Glamdring is awesome also.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

If I could chose any weapon in Arda it would be Gurthang of corse but since we are talking about the movies...<BR>I guess it's Legolas Lorien bow. <BR>But Gurthang is cooler... black and all. I love black.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That's tough. I'm hoping to order Aundril off of lordoftherings.net some time in the near future. But I must say that if it was available, I'd probably rather have the dagger that Aragorn gets from Celeborn. I think it's cool.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dagger that Celeborn bequeaths to Aragorn is, I believe, available in the catalogue contained inside the Two Towers DVD, Estel.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The dagger that Celeborn bequeaths to Aragorn is, I believe, available in the catalogue contained inside the Two Towers DVD, Estel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sweet. Unfortunatly I do not have the DVD (no player for it ). Does the catalogue list a website that I could go to to make my order there? Although now I'll be wondering forever wether I should get Aundril or the dagger.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
Ka'li Chariel Amill

1420!

aragorn's sword is the coolest!!i mean, i dont think there is any arguement against narsil.plus aragorn is the coolest character!!!though glamdring is pretty awesome too.<BR>-----------<BR>Pippin:"what's that?"<BR>Merry:"this, my friend, is a pint."<BR>Pippin:"it comes in pints?"<BR>Merry:*drinking*"mmmmmm!"<BR>Pippin:"i' m getting one!"
Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 PM   #13
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mmmm... I'd have to say Anduril. I think it's so beautiful... The shards of Narsil are cool, too, even though they are just... shards... I like the thin swords. Glamdring is cool, too. Hmmm.... But myself, I'm more of an archer... Legolas's bow is cool... <P>I guess if I were to buy a reproduction it would probably be Glamdring or Anduril.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #14
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

I love Narsil! But Aragorn's rangers sword is cool too. I havn't really figured out why he hasn't used it yet, but I know he will in RotK. I love Aragorn because of his variety. He wields so many different weapons. Awesome.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Definitely Narsil, although any old sort of sword will do, as long as it is Gondorian. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to agree that Narsil is probably the best sword shown so far, (Anduril hasn't really been shown), but Narsil isn't Gondorian. Narsil was made by Telchar who was a dwarf.<BR>As to other weapons, I think that the bow Legolas was given in Lorien was cool, as was the dagger given to Aragorn by Celeborn.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since bare hands can count according to the first post, I would definitely say that the bare hands of the Vala Oromë the Huntsman should be considered some of the most formidable weapons ever, considering that Oromë wrestled with Melkor himself and gave him a damn good fight. Oromë was like a weapon of good, always shooting around the ancient forests of young Arda and scaring the pants off Morgoth's little demons...
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #17
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>considering that Oromë wrestled with Melkor himself and gave him a damn good fight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you sure you don't mean Tulkas here. Tulkas wrestled with Melkor and used his hands as his weapons. Orome was a huntsman, and I always assumed that he used weapons, as they would be much better for hunting as bare hands.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I also like Gimli's dounle-bladed axe. I think that looks pretty cool.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:49 AM   #19
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I LOVE Sting, mainly because it has built-in Orc-detection. That's some cool stuff, man.<P>However, my favorite weapon is Glamdring. Sure, Legolas has some swanky knives and yes, Anduril IS a mighty sword. But come on - Glamdring took down a BALROG. That's just cool, man.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:04 AM   #20
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes not to mention its previous owner was also Turgon, the King of Gondolin :P<P>Any Elvish weapons are cool and I would say that Aiglos is the coolest weapon (you can see it in the prologue hehe in certain scenes but best when you see Gil-galad thrust it straight through an orc) but since its appearance is too short I would have to say it would be Glamdring
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #21
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli's axe is the best!!!!!!<P>nuff' said.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The teaser pic of Aragorn holding up Anduril is tops in my book, though the length of Glamdring is awesome also.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I actually also have a reproduction of Glamdring! I like the blade length and weight better, but Narsil is still too cool. The hilt, I mean. The blade itself is so long it seems unwieldy.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Damn good fight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um, couldst we not useth such wordage, pray?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but Narsil isn't Gondorian. Narsil was made by Telchar who was a dwarf.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but it was still Gondorian looking...the geometry and stuff. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But come on - Glamdring took down a BALROG. That's just cool, man.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think there's an old discussion about killing balrogs, but I think it took more than just the sword. The combination of the Elven blade, the powers of Gandalf, coupled with the distance fallen through the cold waters, and the endless pursuit by Gandalf.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The dagger that Celeborn bequeaths to Aragorn is, I believe, available in the catalogue contained inside the Two Towers DVD, Estel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You mean that coupon code thingy? I haven't gone there yet, my DVD is always absent when I'm on, and I forget. I did kind of want that, but not for the $200 + that BladesbyBrown wants for it!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 09-11-2003, 12:36 AM   #23
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I like Legolas' Mirkwood bow and quiver much better than the one he got in Lorien! <BR>I love looking at all the beautiful weapons, costumes, furniture and other stuff in the Design-Gallery of the appendices of the FotR DVD.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but not for the $200 + that BladesbyBrown wants for it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Forget it then, if I remember correctly I can get Andruil for $140.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:25 PM   #25
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Remember Sauron's mace from the prologue? That's the coolest weapon. Combining the Ring's power and that, he just leveled everything within range.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 AM   #26
Rilarien884
Pile O'Bones

Rilarien884 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Rilarien884 Send a message via AIM to Rilarien884
Sting

I dunno. In the prologue to the Fellowship, on the slopes of Mt. Doom, I thought the elves who were mowing the orcs down had awesome swords. Arwan's sword is okay, but she never uses it. All in all, I'd have to go with Lego's short swords, they were the most interesting to watch being used.<BR>AL
Old 09-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #27
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, I liked Legolas' weapons because of the way he used them. Although I like the contrast and detailing on his Mirkwood bow, I thought the Lórien one was really beautiful. Those two short blades were cool, I have the action figure.<BR>Glamdring is amazing, having had such marvellous owners and having seen so many events (ok, so maybe not as it spent a few thousand years in a troll hoard). Gurthang scares me, frankly. It's a treacherous weapon, so I wouldn't want it. Interesting that it can talk though! <BR> <p>[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 09-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #28
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Gurthang scares me, frankly. It's a treacherous weapon, so I wouldn't want it. Interesting that it can talk though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree! That sword has no loyalty whatsoever. It even killed poor Turin. I like "bright, cold steel, precious", not the color of the dark lord, black.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #29
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

oh man, definately legolas's two daggers... and he sure knows how to use them
Old 09-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #30
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sure Gurthang does seem like an evil sword... but didn't Turin ask for death when he found out that Niniel was his sister... and Turin was the one that killed Beleg... bah don't blame the poor sword.. it was just doing his job <P>If you can blame anyone, blame the curse of Morgoth on all the kin of Hurin Thalion.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:56 PM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

For me it would have to be a tie between Sting, and the weapons that Aragorn posesses. I think that the swords from the films are amazing, and I can't wait to see Anduril in action. I even like that little multi-purpose knife that Aragorn has.<P>Sting is beautiful to me though, I love the design that it has, and it's shape. It has a very unique style.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #32
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

in the movie? legolas' bow<P>in the book? tom bombadil's singing
Old 09-18-2003, 05:21 PM   #33
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

The Flame Of Anor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's staff (really any Gandalf-weilded stick, it seems in the movie (it changes)) is by far the most formidible weapon. Uncleavable, and a blow to the head will take you down.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #34
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I prefer the crossbows that the Uruks weild in Helm's Deep are awesome. Second to that is Aragorn's dagger from Celeborn

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think I prefer the crossbows that the Uruks weild in Helm's Deep are awesome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Yes! The pump-action crossbows! I'd forgotten about those momentarily.<P><BR><B>EDIT</B>: Happy 700th post-day to me.<p>[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 09-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #36
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer Narsil. It has to be the coolest sword of all time. Also I like the Elvish knife that Celeborn gave Aragorn in Lothlorien.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #37
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I got to look at some at the mall today! I saw Sting, Glamdring, Narsil, the Witch-King's sword, another ringwraith's sword, Aragorn's Ranger sword, and Arwen's sword. I personally liked both of Aragorn's swords and Arwen's sword best. But they were all so beautiful! And expensive! Hadhafang was $310! Unfortunately that's a bit much for me! I would love to get one if I could for a better price, though.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #38
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Man, that's WAY too much! You can get 'em off of <A HREF="http://www.swordsonline.com" TARGET=_blank>Swords Online</A> or <A HREF="http://www.noblecollection.com" TARGET=_blank>Noble Collection</A> or <A HREF="http://www.Lotrcatalog.com" TARGET=_blank>Lord of the Rings catalog</A>for less than that! But I still say that if you shift your course to Gatlinburg Tennessee, you can find decent reproductions for less than fifty George Washingtons! (Forgive me for the continuous stumping of this place, but I am really happy with the service I got there!)
Old 09-28-2003, 07:19 AM   #39
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The bow Legolas got in Lothlorien. It's amazing.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote