The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
shia'tan

White-Hand Inspiration for Gandalf

I was recently involved in a pub quiz and the question was asked "Which real person was the inspiration behind / for Gandalf?" The allegedly correct answer (or the one the MC had) was CS Lewis. This did not seem correct to me, but some (brief) searching on the matter has yielded nothing. Can anyone help?
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 07-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

I don't know, I never knew that Gandalf was based on a person, let alone CS Lewis. I know that Tolkien knew him, but further than that, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the Downs, shia'tan!
A Google search on the topic yielded this page, which lists Tolkien's aunt as the inspiration for Gandalf. However, it also mentions a character from Norse mythology named Gandalfr, and Merlin of King Arthur legend.
I am inclined to doubt the last, however, because Tolkien pointed out that the tales of King Arthur were French, not British, and for him to use a character from it as inspiration seems... odd.
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

There are some very definite aspects of Merlin in Gandalph - as there are aspects of Gandalph in modern day 'wise wizard' characters in fiction, such as Dumbeldore in Harry Potter. It's a sort of...recycling thing. No, but it is just one of those ways in which fiction repeats itself, but not in a bad way, but in the way writers can reflect back on the imaginations of other before them and entwine their own ideas into those of people before.

Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends - I think I heard someone say before that the first edition of the Hobbit. To say that a character of Gandalph's qualities - loyalty, bravery, humour and, of course, wisdom - was derived from CS Lewis would be a great compliment and a way of expressing his admiration for his fellow writer.

Symestreem, why do you say it is odd that he used Merlin because the tales of King Arthur were French?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Some inspiration for Gandalf came from Sir Tolkiens friend C.S Lewis. Although C.S Lewis also inspired Tolkien to write the character Treebeard which I think is a more fitting analysis. Tolkien always spoke about how he would be walking down the halls at Oxford and would hear this booming echoing voice rumbling down the hall which was C.S Lewis teaching his lessons. But the true inspiration for Gandalf came from the Kalevala, an old and insanely long sort of chant which speaks of an old shaman who would perform good deeds for the people of their tribe and disappear. Sort of explains alot about Gandalf in my thinking. The Kalevala would take nearly two to four days for one of the chosen tribesmen to chant.
ninlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I thought Lewis was the inspiration for Treebeard - at least for his way of speaking.

Tolkien did say that the inspiration for Gandalf came from a painting by Josef Madlener - der Berggeist. Indeed, he kept the postcard he picked up of it in an envelope with 'Origin of Gandalf' written on it. The painting & some background info is here:

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/..._7insert.shtml
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:31 AM   #7
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Like most characters, Gandalf is an amalgamation, taken from a myriad sources. Particularly with Tolkien, I would be hesitant before stating a 'primary' source for any of his characters (although the arguments linking his mother with his often less than three-dimensional female characters is always a semi-amusing debate...)

The Kalevala, yes, Lewis, yes, but many many other sources (eg The Poetic Edda) and original ideas also. Gandalf was once the name of the Chief Dwarf; I think I prefer it the way it worked out...

Last edited by Rimbaud; 07-13-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Rimbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I see where everyone is coming from and I'm not saying that the Kalevala and C.S Lewis are the only inspirations for Gandalf. All I was trying to say was that they were influential inspirations for the fact that he loved both of them dearly.
ninlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
To add some detail: The first addition of The annotated Hobbit has a picture of Madlener himself in old age. And he is looks much like his own "Berggeist". (But it is not a self-portrait, since Madlener was only about 40 years when he draw the picture.)

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
I am pretty sure that in the special edition of the Fellowship there is mention that C.S Lewis is the basis for Gandalf, but I agree that saying that Merlin is the basis of Gandalf is not true, it is more of a recycling situation, they are both wizards. That is it.

If it is said that Lewis was the basis because he was Tolkien's close friend, who did Tolkien write himself as?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #11
shia'tan

The Eye

"I am pretty sure that in the special edition of the Fellowship there is mention that C.S Lewis is the basis for Gandalf...."

May I enquire which "special edition" this is?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

Quote:
Tolkien always spoke about how he would be walking down the halls at Oxford and would hear this booming echoing voice rumbling down the hall which was C.S Lewis teaching his lessons.
I'm pretty sure that is also in the EE somewhere. I think Peter Jackson is the one telling that little anecdote...which is ironic because I don't recall his treebeard saying any loud "Hroom"s which I thoguht was one of the characteristics he used from Lewis.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:45 AM   #13
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, i meant the DVD of the Fellowship the, extended special edition.

I know that they had given Treebeard some of Tom Bombadil's lines, to try and satisfy the Bombadil fans. But they only showed up in the EE, which annoyed me as a Tom fan and a Lord of The Ring's book fan.

Not only have they left out Tom, but they have slightly changed the character of Treebeard by giving him Tom's lines.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
haltred
Pile O'Bones

haltred has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

[B]CS Lewis interesting. I would think that Gandalf came from JRRT's knowledge of the Merlin/ Arthur stories. Lewis was not a fan of the LOTR but he was one of the first people to hear it at the pub that he and Tolkien etc frequented.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
I believe Lewis did like LOTR overall, but had some criticisms (especially not being a big hobbit fan or of the poems). In addition to general support he wrote one of the blurbs for LOTR and continually prodded Tolkien to finish the book. But I do think another of the Inklings disliked hearing stories read at their gatherings (Hugo Dyson?).
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote