The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Who has read all the HoME?

i dont have too much money right now, but i was wondering if the books are insightful and are worth the read. what do they talk about?no one has really ever told me, so all help is appreciated, thanks.
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

They're mostly about robots and animal cloning. I wouldn't bother with them if I were you.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ha...thats funny

i was wondering what they tell you thats not in the lotr silm or Unfinished tales...

ive heard they are the first ideas tolkien had or something.

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Morgoth Bauglir ]
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:35 PM   #4
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol oblo.

Dude, pick up HoME X
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:15 AM   #5
Laureaelin

Silmaril

HoME's basically a collection of Tolkien's early ideas and concepts of ME, unpublished stories and background notes on Frodo's journey.I found it a bit long (Tolkien had one heck of an imagination [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) so I just dipped in to the parts that I could understand, but it's definately worth reading if you have the time and patience [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2002, 09:46 PM   #6
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Thumbs up

What you can do is start by reading volume X, Morgoth's Ring and then The War of the Jewels.
Or you can go to the BOLT and read the Fall of Gondolin which is just amazing.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

The most essential volumes of HoMe are IV, V, X, XI, and XII. Volumes IV and V -- The Shaping of Middle-earth and The Lost Road -- contain the earliest sketches of the 'Silmarillion' mythology, including the first Quenta Silmarillion. These lay the framework for the later books, X, XI, and XII -- Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, and The Peoples of Middle-earth -- which provide the latest Silmarillion revisions and entirely new, fascinating pieces.

The Books of Lost Tales are good reading, but too obsolete to shed any light on Middle-earth. Still, The Fall of Gondolin is incredible, as is The Nauglafring (which is, if I'm not mistaken, the only complete account by JRRT of the Fall of Doriath). Volume III provides lots of fantastic poetry, though they're all unfinished.

Volumes VI through IX are boring as crap.

Here's a useful page: Mellonath Daeron.

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: obloquy ]
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:11 AM   #8
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Lays of Belieriand (Book Three i think) is amazing. If, like me, you enjoy Tolkien's work in a more artistic way, rather than a set of academic texts, then the Lays, which includes The Lay of Leithian (Release from Bondage) and the Lay of the Children of Húrin, will appeal to you. While they add very little to what is said in the Narn and the Sil, it is great to hear the stories told in a poetic way.

And that is what most of the HoMe is, retelling the same stories from different perspectives and different ideas. You can tell what kind of reader you are by the books you liked best. I liked 9 for the Notion Club Papers, but a lot of people didn't like it as it didn't add anything to the mythology. I liked the Lost Tales as they tell detailed and beautiful stories, but a number of people didn't like them as they were so old the information they held was pretty much invalid.

Basically I could recommend all of the histories, but 6,7,8 and the first 3rd of 9 is entirely retelling the LoTRs in different ways and showing the development of the 2nd and 3rd ages, so read it only if you would be willing to re-read LoTRs.