The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2002, 03:40 PM   #41
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
This is a public service announcement.

Anyone whose taste runs to skinny British kids with bad smoking habits and seeming death-wishes, and feels that they can't live without them, please come to Duke University.

I'll set you up with my ex.

Really, the similarities are rather mind-boggling, when I think about it. I guess my transient crush on Orli was not so transient after all...

Word to the wise, kids such as Orli are not all they're cracked out to be. Much ado about nothing indeed. *Erm*, no offense to Rimbaud...By the way, Rimbaud, are you single? I'm on the rebound, you know.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:43 PM   #42
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

No, and also 'kid' is something of a stretch. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Skinny and British is right, though. Additionally , I stopped smoking about five months ago; this also removed the death-wish clause. So the statement is actually almost entirely inaccurate. *sighs*
Old 10-15-2002, 03:59 PM   #43
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dűm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

Quote:
There are plenty of girls who find a skinny British kid who smokes and finds a lot of excitement in things that could kill him very unattractive. Sure, he looks nice, but I'll take common sense any day.
people at school think i have a deathwish. i jump off of tall stuff and hurt myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 04:11 PM   #44
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, I shall be careful what I say as I have already been driven into the RPGs by those who have taken offence at my observations before and no offence is intended.
I believe Orli is popular with the young girls because he seems so fresh, innocent and non-threatening, plus noble etc. but this is just a character he plays. Even his eyes are contact lens blue. (check Viggo's portrait of him putting them in) All of these things are of course irrelevant to this site, except perhaps on the movies thread. This is a Tolkien site, not 'Blooming Marvellous' or some other location. Drool or swoon there please, not here. I don't blame the girls. I still have my Brandon Lee poster at the top of the stairs even at my age but I wouldn't dream of cluttering up a 'serious' website with such stuff which is of course what I'm doing now so I'd better stop.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:41 PM   #45
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I must confess, I tried to swindle my local Barnes and Noble manager out of his lifesize Aragorn cutout, but he wasn't having it.

The problem isn't people idolizing actors. They are perfectly welcome to do that on their own time. The problem as I see it is when they use forum space and MY time to drool over him.

By my time I mean the time I waste reading topics that started out serious but ended up in a "Wow, Orlie has the hottest NOSE!" slobberfest.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:47 PM   #46
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry, my sincerest apologies. Comment is now redirected to Elenna. *curtsies rather awkwardly - being a ChickTM herself Maril's not very good at this.*

Kat, don't worry, all ideas are welcome! See how popular my Slash Forum was? (Okay guys, how 'bout.. a photospread of Sir Ian McKellen's boyfriends? Anyone? Anyone? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) Someone could have a great time trampling it into the ground.

Clearly everyone is enjoying themselves immensely, if ah.. ahem... somewhat at your expense.

Lush, you know it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *blows smoke off barrel of small silver snub-nose pistol before returning it to her purse.*

Naz, should you run out ammo, just let me know.

-Maril
Old 10-16-2002, 02:13 PM   #47
Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
"Wow, Orlie has the hottest NOSE!"
ROFLMAO!!! Thats just SILLY!
But I do agree with you. I've seen it time and time again, people start a serious topic and it turns into a droolfest.....And I hate it when that happnes.
I'm proud to say I've never done anything of the like (Comment of Mr. Bloom's nose or change a topic) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And uhh...Where EXACTALLY would this picture of the contact lens' being put in?
Just wonderin'...

Edit: Dang My typos.....Coud I barrow some amo to shoot em' with??

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas ]
Old 10-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #48
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Sure, KGL! *Elenna hands over a slip of paper that says "Get a dictionary" on it.*

NN10, my friends and I have adopted your "Stone Age" quote, and now are using it to describe most male behavior. Feel proud!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #49
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
Plus, he's a self-admitted technophobe! Could any of us BD girls live with that?
Hmmm...he's a technophobe? Gee...the darn personality quizzes are right pairing me with him, then. Poo...I have to be honest: these things scare me to death. I mean, you press one button and, tah-daaaah, the entire world sees what you think. How do these things work anyway? I mean, how is it that all of these little wires with all this electricity produces a black screen that is quickly making me blind over time and also knows what I am typing? *Shivers* Gah...I am suddenly thinking my computer is very, very scary. I think I am going to finish this post and leave.

Why did computers have to freak me out? Gah! Why couldn't I have...an ex-wife and a 14-year old son, for instance (okay, I am 15 and a girl already, but...still)? And here I am stuck with my friends, after me taking the quizzes saying, "Awww...you and Mr. Bloom would make such a cute couple!"

Yes, as an ex-second-hand smoker, I know how horrible smoking is to the people around you. My dad smoked in front of me for the first 12 years of my life. I think he really ruined my lungs (he smoked in every room with the windows closed quite a bit). So, if I ever end up with a guy that smokes, he will have to quit before we have children (well, get married, for that matter).
Old 10-16-2002, 05:48 PM   #50
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dűm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

Quote:
NN10, my friends and I have adopted your "Stone Age" quote, and now are using it to describe most male behavior. Feel proud!
i sure will...
Old 10-17-2002, 02:50 AM   #51
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Eye

The trouble with being a second-hand smoker is it's hard to quit.

-Maril
Old 10-17-2002, 06:35 AM   #52
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Good point, Maril, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

For my part, I think boys who smoke are cute. They blow delightful smoke-rings for one's amusement, and make me feel even more superior when I regail them with stories of how I used to run the 5K.

Plus, if the break-up is ugly, I can always warm myself with the thought that he has cancer to look forward to.

So now that's Rimbaud's taken, how about Orli? I could turn into a professional girlfriend. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Really, who needs the swoon forum when you have me? Not to mention Maril! (Don't feel obliged to answer that)

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 10-17-2002, 07:45 AM   #53
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*whimpers slightly*
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #54
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Any skinny, British, ex-kid, ex-smoker who models his character after Kermit the Frog is OK in Kate's Book of Nice Men.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:40 AM   #55
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Post of the Week there, Kate, good job.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:56 AM   #56
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Sting

Who needs Mr. Bloom and his ilk? Our very own Mods and Ops are prime candidates for heart-throb celebrity status. Think about it: the power; the prestige; their names appearing in bold. Surely they deserve to be the centre of amorous aspiration around here. Any thoughts? Any thoughts fit for publication?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 AM   #57
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

My dear Squatter,

I am so frightfully disappointed. And I thought they wanted to be known for their minds.

Disconsolately,
Bb

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:08 AM   #58
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That may be, Squat. I'm sure the Mods all have a kind of scruffy appeal. However; I'm surprised that no one has commented on the fact that the number of posters to the Downs started to increase after I joined in December, 2001.

My fan base does tend to doggedly follow me. Though most do respect my privacy and are content to adore me from afar. That would explain the lack of a "Birdie Swoon Room" here. Wouldn't want to take the focus off our minor English author too much.

Now if you'll excuse me: I have to send the beaters out to drive away the stalkers in the hedgerow.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:50 AM   #59
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I resent that, Birdie! I'm not scruffy!

But, Lush, I did the professional girlfriend thing for a while - friends avoiding exes, that sort of thing. It can be fun! And if you end up being pro girlfriend to the stars, who can imagine the possibilities?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:09 PM   #60
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Birdie, I'll get started on that swoon room right away. You'll never have the copyrights on my polaroids, ah-ha-ha-hah! (Maril dashes from the bushes.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for mods..
What is more alluring than a mystery? A mod who's never shown his picture? Never given a hint? Flexed his moderating muscle with dispassionate grace?

Let's hear it for the "Mithadan Swoon Room"! (Sorry B-W. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

-Maril
Old 10-17-2002, 06:54 PM   #61
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
(buys extra ammo)
fine. ill have to hunt down the fangirls too.
...one man against the world...
Naz, actually, there's about *counts on fingers* 12 or so of us. Join the PPC Rimbaud, Maril, you too.

I dread to think of the flamewars and catfights that a Swoon forum would create. Ungh. I t would require more moderation than the rest of the forum combined.
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 04:26 AM   #62
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
I am so frightfully disappointed. And I thought they wanted to be known for their minds.
It's a sad fact that this seldom carries any weight with the wretched wights that stalk these barrows, Bethberry m'dear.

In any case, such considerations are as nothing to me. I am motivated solely by the innocent desire to foment chaos and disorder; and to inflict a certain light-hearted revenge on any mounted pseudonyms who may have seen fit to add to my discomfort in the past.

However, since Maril has innocently diverted my somewhat ill-aimed barb towards the Miasmic One, it looks as though another great plan has been foiled. I shall concoct another, never fear.

Sorry to steal your thunder, Birdie. We all know that you're the real Downs pin-up; but you can't carry the huge burden of our admiration alone. The PMs alone would drive you mad.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh; 12-06-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Fixed another two broken smileys and removed an old editing notice
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 04:49 AM   #63
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Mithadan Swoon Room"!
What an excellent idea Maril! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And let's not forget about Sharku. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2002, 05:01 AM   #64
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Well, we could revive The Official Sharkű Fan Club in the chatroom...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:18 AM   #65
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

What a splendid idea. The suave Teutonic charms of the Downs' most cunning linguist must be lauded most liberally.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh; 12-06-2005 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Another smiley? How many did I use in this thread?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:29 AM   #66
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I think a Mithadan swoon room would be a funny thing to see - we could all reminisce about the wonderfully polite things he's said to us in the past...

But if anyone deserves a swoon room, how about the Barrow Wight?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:06 AM   #67
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

My suggestion covers every administrator, moderator and passing maniac who helps to run the site. Especially BW. Surely his recently-released picture must have set some ladies' hearts a-beating.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh; 12-06-2005 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Fixed another smiley
Old 10-18-2002, 07:28 AM   #68
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

*The administrator's ears were burning. He entered the thread and stalked to its end preparing to issue a venomous screech: "OFF TOPIC!"

*Then he reviews several posts. Upon reading the post of the long-named one, he blushes bright green to the roots of his hair. Three times he attempts to formulate a response, pithy, polite or otherwise, and fails utterly. Glancing over his shoulders for stalkers, he slinks from the thread muttering under his breath...
Old 10-18-2002, 08:01 AM   #69
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Surely his recently-released picture must have set some ladies' hearts a-beating.
But here's the rub, Squatter(another truth to be universally acknowledged). Look how quickly these quaintly-minded sorts dropped Rimbaud once he acknowledged the existence of Mrs. Rimbaud. There is clearly a "one ring" being sported in the BW's picture. He is thus askanced and all his mighty charms seemingly underappreciated. (Certainly the chat facility was undervalued recently.) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And turning, I would hope, to the rescue of all gracious goodly gentlemen, especially one whose ears have just been burned, I look over at the wise OneWhiteTree. Methinks KKate has the better plan. I shall take a page--actually, several pages--from her good Book of Nice Men. Besides, it sounds vaguely Chaucerian.

Bethberry

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM   #70
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

Aww, poor Mith. But who do you think you're kidding? We know you love the attention! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry is right. "The One ring" thing is scary.
I for one truly believe that there's a reason why, in Danish, the word for "married" is the same as the one for "poison".
Kinda makes you wonder.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #71
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

She prefers 'Ms.'. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] In addition, Bethberry, should you ever read aforementioned tome, be sure to look me up. Pages fifteen to one-fifty and yes it is lycra I am wearing in the detail on page sixty-nine.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #72
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

LOL, Maika, I took that "one ring" from the superimposed writing on BW's picture. 'Tis his idea, not mine.

*runs off to write more pages for KKate's book*

Bethberry
Old 10-18-2002, 08:38 AM   #73
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Quote:
Pages fifteen to one-fifty...
I said, it sounds "vaguely Chaucerian." You must be thinking of "Rabelasian." That is the sequel, isn't it?

Old 10-18-2002, 08:44 AM   #74
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Should that not be Rabelaisian?

"Cette année, les aveugles ne verront que bien peu, les sourds ouďront assez mal; les muets ne parleront gučre;
les riches se porteront un peu mieux que les pauvres, et les sains mieux que les malades.
Vieillesse sera incurable cette année ŕ cause des années passées..."

Edit: If indeed you are referring to Rabelais, and I am not making an egregious error...

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 10-18-2002, 08:44 AM   #75
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

and they alllived happily ever after

Stunned I am, am I not?

What are you talking about, ppl? If KGL haven't started this supposedly "swooning" thread (I confess never looked inside before due to it's name, but still...), you would have no chance of showing off the way you have been doing here [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].

Someone complains about having serious posts ending up in drooling/swooning (whatever) storm. Here is a paragon of opposite, though topic get off completely and became a word playing/punning/joking contest so stunning I am not able to leave without even most confused comment

You even managed to paint Mithadan green (operation which, as is widely known, Valar themselves were unable to perform over Sauron) who henceforward would go by the name of Gwenadan (if effect is permanent , of course)

The general point - if "drooling" forum is capable of producing such an inspiration, I'm voting with both hands for it. Only pray keep inspiration closer to Tolkien, eh?

as a PS: we males are not acting like that all the time (along NN10 lines, if you pls). Sometimes we sleep, and sometimes (3 times a day for your humble servant) we eat. The rest of the time is as was descibed above)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:20 AM   #76
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

The error, as you point out, Sir, was indeed on my part, and not yours. *curtsies*

Quand męme, vous ne me vieillissez pas? "Trinch", I suggest, and not some of that orc-draught of yours. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

*trying to return this to Tolkien (in respect of H-I's remarks) who of course ever treasured a good joke, particularly at the expense of the French and who would not have been amused by the fangirls, charts of Luthien not to the contrary.*

Bethberry

Old 10-18-2002, 09:38 AM   #77
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Oh Gosh...I haven't posted here for about two, three days, and all this about Orli just makes me swoon, too, making me forget my Hugo Weaving for awhile. (and not to mention Josh Groban *sigh*) [a bit off-Tolkien there, sorry can't help it]

Lush: I'm a sucker for guys who smoke, too! But I don't smoke. They're just, well, adorable. Nice-ssss to look at, yesss.

Elenna: Thank you for a wonderful idea of asking for the Aragorn cutout. My friend might STILL be working at the record store I go to, and if she's still there, I'll ask her if I can have their Aragorn cutout. *hihiihiii* (Not unless if she takes it for herself)

Dunno much about Mithadan, but this thread sure darn made me curious!

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #78
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

Neferchoirwen you just HAD to mention Hugo Weaving didn't you? Not nice. You hit a soft spot there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 10-18-2002, 09:50 AM   #79
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Sorry about that, Maika. Can't help it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]*Get's all wide-eyed innocent and says "what's a girl to do?"*

I've never been fixated on any guy in particular for about a few months now. So there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And oh, I went to this biorhythm compatibility thingy---and guess who I'm compatible with? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:57 AM   #80
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Quote:
Topic: A idea about the "fangirl" Problem we've been having