The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:14 AM   #81
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Hilde Bracegirdle - Take some time to check out the new software. There are all kinds of options - at the bottom of each thread, dead center is a link to a printable version of the page with the date/time preceding each post.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #82
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, very nice! And I can cut and paste just what I want. Much quicker! Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:00 PM   #83
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

So do I just delete these PMs? I'm sorry if I'm being annoying but I don't want to delete them if they are important...

Cheers!
Imladris

Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #84
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
I can't find the spot where you can edit your profile... am I just not looking well enough? (I'm pretty sure, too, that I'm one of the only people happy to have lost five or six hundred posts... they were rubbish anyway, so that's part of a slate wiped off. )

-Menelien

Edit: By the way, I also can't find the "preview" function. Is it gone?

Last edited by GaladrieloftheOlden; 02-11-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:48 PM   #85
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
You can edit your profile from your User Control Panel. Use the "User CP" button near the top of the page. The "Preview" button is right next to the button you use to submit your posts.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #86
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Thanks with the profile, but the preview button isn't there. Maybe it's just this computer.

-Menelien
Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM   #87
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Anyone else experiencing the no "Preview" problem?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #88
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Narya

I have my preview.

Quote:
A reminder: 500 posts does not equal a Personal Title.
Yesh, but...I did love seeing 758 rather than 458, even if many of my posts lack merit!!

What does it mean when it tells me someone on my Buddy List is 'online'. They're not logged in the forum, but you can tell their online?

Well I am lost...will be popping back in soon enough.

Oh! Cool, more icons...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #89
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Your Buddy List keeps track of the members you put on it - tells you if they're on the forum (or have visited it within the past few minutes).
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #90
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Haven't posted in awhile, Checking to see what comes out. I like vbulletin. Dang! Lost my avatar.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #91
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.

If you go to the old forum location (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) and check your profile (edit it) you can see the address for where you kept your avatar.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #92
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, I'll try that this evening!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #93
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Problem

Ok, I had added a custom avatar two days ago when the forum moved, and today I erased it, because I wanted to change it, but then I realized that the custom avatar option is mysteriously gone...? So my question is: Can I still upload avatars from my computer? And if so, how?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #94
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Sting Test Post

Just a test post to see what has changed for me...

User ratings have disappeared. A thread rating has been added. Both of those changes are fine with me.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #95
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Adding avatars is fairly easy.

1) Go to your USER CP
2) click Edit Options link
3) click Change avatar button
4) enter the URL of your avatar

You can store as many as 10 for your account.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #96
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Works for me

This new improved version is growing on me...I really stopped here to ask about pms, but most of my questions have been answered. I do have one question - not being entirely positive when the Downs underwent this makeover, I got a pm two days ago, which I found out about in my e-mail. When I go into my profile now, it's gone. Was it sent before the forum had these changes, or is there an actual problem with it?

*crosses fingers* Please don't let my post count be too dire...

I lost 300?! Oh well, time for me to rebuild it by making actual meaningful posts.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #97
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
I just wanted to thank Mr. Underhill and the BW for their quick response in order for me to solve my loggin problems.
I'm actually glad that you have changed to Vbulletin, just because of the private messages features which is IMO way better than it was in UBB.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #98
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've recieved a bunch of PMs that aren't for me. They're from 2002, which is way before I joined.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #99
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

No problems, Maédhros. Good to see that you are now really here.

HKF, the PMs didn't transfer well. Recommendation: delete all old messages and start with a fresh, empty mailbox. Keep in mind that the current 10 PM limit includes messages in your Inbox and all other message folders, including Sent messages.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #100
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Question Just a test...kind of.

Since I don't know this well yet I must say I liked the old version better but I will deal. I don't notice any difference in speed with the new software either. Hopefully I have everything where I want it for now. I heard something about spell check too, but I don't see it.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?

Last edited by Silmiel of Imladris; 02-12-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #101
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I have a question, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it or not, but here goes:

Can we start new threads in Movies yet, or do we have to wait? I read the thread in there, but it wasn't entirely clear, so could someone enlighten a poor animated skeleton?

Thank you!
~Saraph
Old 02-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #102
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Movies is currently closed.

We're working on recovering at least some of the content from the old board and revamping things. We'll make an announcement when we're ready for the forum to open for business.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #103
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
Everyone needs to login in with their publicly displayed name. The login name you used to login to the other software is now useless - the publicly displayed name and login name for the new setup are one and the same.
This information needs to be prominently posted at the top of the questions thread, or in the FAQ, or both, and/or at the "New Forum" Notice thread. Because it took me a while to determine that I was no longer able to log in with my old Login Name, and have a different Publicly Displayed Name.

I am still not understanding how I tell my profile where to find my avatar. The FAQ says if I have a post count > zero I can do it. This is my first post in the new forum, so maybe that is what it takes....

-- Frustrated in Frumpshire
Old 02-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #104
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the new frontier, Theron! It took me a little while to find where to insert the avatar as well. When you click on the user cp button (or choose the User Control Panel in the drop down menu), you then have another menu of sorts near the top of the page. You click on the Edit Options button and then the Avatar functions are way down at the very bottom, underneath the time offset from GMT option. The avatar limit is very strict at max 64 by 64 pixels. If you've got an avatar that is 65 by 63, forget it! It won't go! Other than that, it is really great! I am really enjoying the added functionalities of this new system!

Cheers!
Lyta

Edit: I just realized that you might be referring to the actual physical location of the avatar for upload...I haven't tried that, but I assume it is like attaching a file to an email...forgive me; my brain is still boiled from walking to Lothlorien and despairing of ever getting there!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 02-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #105
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Question ...more questions...

Thanks, Lyta. I actually found B-W's instructions a few posts above:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Barrow-Wight

1) Go to your USER CP

You can store as many as 10 for your account.
And that did the trick. However...

HARRUMPH! I thought the 64x64 pixel limit was the same as on the old board. However, my avatar on the source URL on the old board appears to be 66x66?! So now I have to trim it down, and find the email address of my fellow B-Der that is kindly hosting my avatar for me, and get it reloaded to that site.

See image attached:

Harrumph, again! I tried the "Attach file" function on the Post Reply screen. It allows me to browse my hard drive for an image and specify it there, which I did. (A copy of my 66x66 avatar .jpg that is only 3.69k.) But in Preview Reply mode, I don't see the image, and I suspect I will not when I submit, either.

It must fool me into thinking it will upload it from my hard drive but there is some restriction on that in the forum software, though the "Attach file" option is not disabled. Harrumph, harrumph!

Let me try the IMG insert button to go for the URL: Well, if that don't beat all! as my Gaffer used to say.

Hm. Oh well, on the bright side, maybe this is the worst thing that will happen to me this week.

- - - - -
Edit by Theron:
When I submitted, that's when I see the "Attachment" as a link to the image. So it DID attach when I submitted, and uploaded to the forum somewhere. It just doesn't show the picture directly in the post, and the attachment link is not shown in preview reply mode. Okay, I will remove at least one Harrumph, harrumph!

- - - - -
2nd Edit by Theron:
Thanks to Miss Underhill, I know have my resized avatar rehosted and reloaded.

I also like the new BB's ability to load both images and avatars, though I doubt I will change my avvy often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gandmoria_64x64_panout.jpg (3.7 KB, 687 views)

Last edited by Theron Bugtussle; 02-13-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #106
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Question

Quote:

1) Go to your USER CP
But what if I have the avatar only on my computer and not on the net? Because in the beginning I had the option of downloading avatars from my hard drive (in this forum, not the old one) and now that option appears to be mysteriously gone! Is it really gone?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #107
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

I went looking for the upload option this morning and I didn't find it either, but also it says I have 0 avatars (listing 1-0 of 0 in my list). I'm not sure what that's about, because I do see my self-hosted one. Perhaps it was a hallucination, because I certainly remember the upload option!

Anyway, I actually came over here to mention something nitpicky indeed: at the bottom of every forum page is a link back to the main BD site. On every one of them so far, including this reply page, the link doesn't work, because there is one too many slashes in the URL: http:///www.barrowdowns.com .

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 02-13-2004, 01:26 PM   #108
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Silmaril

Quote:
I don't notice any difference in speed with the new software either.
Try the search function of the new and old - you'll notice a dramatic difference.

Quote:
This information needs to be prominently posted at the top of the questions thread, or in the FAQ, or both, and/or at the "New Forum" Notice thread. Because it took me a while to determine that I was no longer able to log in with my old Login Name, and have a different Publicly Displayed Name.
The Barrow-Wight sent a memo explaining this.

Last edited by Legolas; 02-13-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #109
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Lyta, noting something like a broken link is not nitpicking. Things like that must be fixed. Thank you for telling us! It has been fixed.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #110
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

I have re-activated the option to upload avatars from your hard drive. Avatars must be 64x64 pixels or less, ot it will not let you upload them.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:11 PM   #111
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Question Random Thread Ratings?

Why do the thread ratings only work for some threads? I see ratings on some such as "Those Little, Unimportant, and Unknown parts that we love..." in the Books and "Battles" in the Quiz Room, but not in any others. And I know that I at least have rated a few other threads and it doesn't show.. What's up?

*EDIT*: Hang on, I may have answered my own question. I think the ratings have to have at least two votes for it to show and just not many people have voted.

Last edited by Lindolirian; 02-13-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #112
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe number of posts

I've found my post total to be reset from about 1,200 to about 200...anything we can do about that?

And also I'm a Wight again instead of a Ghost of...uh...someplace ...
Old 02-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #113
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe New VBull

Its funny that most of these posts here have to do with such a trivial thing as postcount .

Quote:
You may have noticed that MOVIES is empty. Perhaps our post totals are missing posts in that forum? If so, it's nothing to be concerned about. The BOOKS rule!
Out of all I read in this thread, this was the best! Thanks Barrow-Wight!

The only thing I had to correct is the avatar addressing. Looking good!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #114
Flittermouse
Pile O'Bones

Flittermouse has just left Hobbiton.
I happen to love the new forum lay-out! Don't mind all those grouches, they just aren't used to change, thats all. It's a great job Barrow Wight!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:05 AM   #115
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Quote:
I have re-activated the option to upload avatars from your hard drive.
Yay! A million thanks, BW!

I have to say I got used to this new forum and I like it much better than the previous one. Also, the pretty smiley is back --> Everything is hunky dory now!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #116
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
New look

Wow! I go away for a few days, and when I come back everything has changed!

Personally, I like the new format though. It still seems familiar and yet there seem to be a good few new features. So it gets a "thumbs up" from me.

I haven't noticed it being any quicker, but then again I haven't used the search function yet. If that's quicker, it will be a major bonus.

Had to go and re-size my avatar myself, but it seems to have done it the world of good.

One point does occur to me, though, and it's been mentioned before I think. I only worked out that I had to log on using my screen name from reading this thread. Seems to me that it would be worthwhile to point this up to people when first logging on, or on the home screen, since people might otherwise have difficulties logging onto the new site.

Other than that, I think that it's great. I'm looking forward to discovering all the new features.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:44 PM   #117
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

1420!

Not only is searching faster -- it's infinitely more powerful. Enjoy dredging up obscure, forgotten posts from the four corners of the Downs!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:23 PM   #118
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe lightbulb

Quote:
You may have noticed that MOVIES is empty. Perhaps our post totals are missing posts in that forum? If so, it's nothing to be concerned about. The BOOKS rule!
Hmmm...makes sense!
Unfortunatly The Movies was pretty much where I posted away from my quotes thread, so I'm out about a thousand posts now . Oh well

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 02-14-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:21 AM   #119
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Da Da Da

OK, its all cool and interesting and new and I got used to the fluctuations in functionality that are inherent in the settling into a new system, but then I go to my Active Threads link and up comes the list of current Topics and I see some threads on a forum I've never seen before called "Da Books"! And its got a couple of threads and several replies and all, and it makes me think that there is this parallel universe with secret thoughts and conspiracies going on, or perhaps it is a hallucination I can click on! So I click, and I am not allowed to venture there...that's all well and good too, as I figure I don't need to read about "The Bell Jar" after all and it is too late for me to be doing this anyway...the gist of the question I suppose is, "What Up wit' Da Books?"

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #120
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Hey, guys, the Movies forum is back! But what's weird and funny is that I'm not Evisse the Blue anymore there, I'm logged as a guest with my old username Blushenka. Anyone else?

Lyta - are you sure you haven't stepped into the twilight zone for a couple of minutes there?