The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe “Gandalf… yes, that was my name. I was Gandalf.”

That scene is one of my favorites from the book and the movie. I think Sir Ian deserves an award for that piece of acting alone. Anyway, after watching TTT for the 1 billionth time, I noticed a major flaw. Ermm.. help me out here- when the 3 hunters encountered the white wizard in Fangorn Forest, Aragorn called him Gandalf and Gandalf said: “Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.“ He said that as if it was the first time he remembered his name after the ‘Balrog incident’. As if it was the first time someone recognized him after his resurrection. The thing is- he met up with Merry and Pippen before this little encounter. The first thing the hobbits would have said to him was "Gandalf!". It's impossible for Merry and Pippen not to have called out his name upon seeing him. Ermm.. know what I mean? I really love the movie and I’m hoping it’s not really a flaw. Can there be an explanation for this?

In the book, Gandalf did not meet Merry and Pippen before his encounter with the 3 hunters (Gimli, Aragorn & Legolas). So the book is flawless [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: propagandalf ]