Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #881
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay, I have added my part to the action. I deleted the save and added my post to the end of the thread.

Please Gwath and Lalaith come in as well... like everyone else.

(yeah, I'm not in position to take the moral high ground here but after all we're in the middle of action so let's get on with it!)
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #882
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
What needs to happen with Jord? I want to be sure I'm following the intended plot-line. I could kill some more people.....
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #883
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I could kill some more people.....

I think Embla and Fastarr would need to get at least some time to live - to be able to make an attempt to find Tathren. And some of the Ulfing-lords might be interested in their lives as well.

But I do share the interest in the general plot line at this point. We are pretty near the end of the story, right?

Should we try to fex. unite the two Borrims with Thorn before this ends? It's also okay to me if Embla and Fastarr die in the forest as Huntha is already carrying the message of the treachery to the Borrims so the two might as well die - if it suits Lalaith to be sure.

How about the plots between the "princes"? Should they play them out themselves, have Jord taking part in it - or even the two Borrims and/or Tathren, Thorn?

And how about this "other gang", Dag and others? Is there a role for them in the unfolding of the last events?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #884
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I dunno, there's something romantic about lovers fleeing into the unknown together, surviving against all odds, finding happiness together despite the huge tragedy they couldn't avert. They don't have to die, but if you really want it; my idea, if you want it, is that Jord frames them for the murder of Lachrandir, and the ULfing lords hunt them unsuccessfully.

Thorn should have a chance to level his accusations against ULdor and Ulfast themselves before he is executed.

I think that Thorn and the two Borrim need not meet again.

Tathren (who will write him with Mithalwen not doing so?) will believe the framing, and take personal responsibility for getting the message back to Lord Caranthir that the Ulfings are to be trusted.

At least, that's what I'm suggesting. If you'd rather do something else, by all means.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #885
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Wow! I have a SAVE from January!!

Hmmmmmm.....well, I'll talk this all over with Pio and we'll see what we can come up with.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #886
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, Fastarr my dear, I don't mind if we live or die....I thought we could go back and live among the Bairka, if they'd have us, but hey, doing a tragic Babes in the Wood works for me too.
But I don't think anyone, Hunta or whoever else, should be carrying a message of treachery to the Borrim. Otherwise they would warn the elves at the battle.

We could get round that, as I suggested earlier, by the fact the Borrim force would have left for battle by the time any of us lot got back.

As for the Ulflings and their characteristics, here's what Ang said in the original planning:
Quote:
Finally, a careful re-reading of "Of the Fifth Battle" reveals that the Ulfings who did not change sides in the Nirnaeth generally fled as best they could, discomfited by the lies and deceit filling their lives (paraphrase.) So this is another possible fate for those of you Ulfings who have good, but not especially brave, hearts
Old 04-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #887
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So what's happening, guys?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #888
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I won't be able to post for several days as I'm going to be out in the woods shooting blanks at the ROTC cadets . I'll try to post after I get back.

I think Fastarr and Embla should escape, and you could all post that without me, if you like.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #889
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

With regards to Embla and Fastarr I think it's your go now Lalaith.

I guess the two would try to get away from both Jord and the Ulfings and to find Tathren. They probably are the only humans who know the truth now so would the others let them get away?

If you write them at least beginning an escape - and if we get some reactions to that from the other parties (Ulfings and Jord) ie. whether they concentrate on dealing with each other or whether some of them try to catch our characters - I could then continue.

Is that okay?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #890
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fastarr and Embla should not find Tathren, who will always be in the company of the Ulfing lords until he leaves for Caranthir. After all, Tathren must not have any doubts about the Ulfings and must bring a positive report in their regard to Caranthir. I meeting between Fastarr and Embla and him would compromise that.

Thorn awaits his confrontation with the Ulfing lords (who will interrogate him with Tathren not around), and for that I need Folwren to post.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #891
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I thought it as well that Embla and Fastarr should not find Tathren but still searching for him is the option for them now as Lachrandir is dead and most of their friends either dead or gone. Just a minute... they don't yet know Khandr is dead. If they can't find Tathren from the forest then they should try to find Khandr.

Should fex. someone be sent to finish them off so that they would run for their lives and thus not be able to find Tathren? Maybe reaching their horses and going for Khandr then only to find him dead?

Just suggestions. I will not have time to write anything within a week I'm afraid as my scheduals look downright frustrating. But if you Lalaith could take the two a bit forwards I could then continue. And others as well, feel free to fex. send someone after the two.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #892
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Folwrens got chicken pox, so that's why she hasn't been 'round. Just thought you guys might like to know where she disappeared to...
Old 04-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #893
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I've been away for a few days but I'm back now and will post in the next day or two.
Hope Folwren is ok. Getting chickenpox when you're older can be nasty.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #894
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Fastarr and Embla should not find Tathren, who will always be in the company of the Ulfing lords until he leaves for Caranthir. After all, Tathren must not have any doubts about the Ulfings and must bring a positive report in their regard to Caranthir. I meeting between Fastarr and Embla and him would compromise that.
Okay, if this is the case, then I need you, Elempi, to edit an earlier post and take out the place where it says that Tathren followed Lachrandir when Lachrandir took Embla and Fastarr away. Tathren will remain behind with the Ulfings. That way, no one except the two Borrim will have witness the killing.

I can try to write Tathren if you do not want to, Elempi.

-- Folwren

EDIT: I posted as though Tathren remained behind. If you wish to keep your earlier post the way it is, I can re-write mine, but I don't see how anything would work if Tathren actually saw what happened. Jord would probably kill him.

Last edited by Folwren; 04-19-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #895
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've altered post # 232 as you suggested, Foley.

Foley, Uldor doesn't know who or what killed Lachrandir. He would naturally assume a "who" instead of a "thing", and he would most likely suspect the Borrim. Otherwise, great post.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-19-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #896
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aha. There. I have changed it - better?

Thanks for editing your earlier post.

-- Folwren
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #897
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Jord has returned to the settlement and is about to find out (somehow...) that Thorn is trouble and needs to die.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #898
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"Her dress was dirty." That cracked me up, especially set off against all the dire evil.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #899
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Ok Noggie. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether we live or die.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #900
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Ok Noggie. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether we live or die.
Aren't you afraid you're giving your "brother" a bit too much leeway?

Okay. As this is going to end pretty soon - correct me owners of the game if I'm wrong here - so I will come up with something nice either tomorrow or on Sunday.

I think the two deserve a nice ending though... be it a romantic death or something more JamesBond-like...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #901
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
"Her dress was dirty." That cracked me up, especially set off against all the dire evil.
Oh good. I'm glad the irony of that wasn't lost on everyone.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #902
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Oh good. I'm glad the irony of that wasn't lost on everyone.
To ease your uncertainty, it did make me smile as well...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #903
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
To ease your uncertainty, it did make me smile as well...
Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #904
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I enjoyed the dirty dress too.... but isn't it, technically speaking, deliberate bathos rather than irony?

And, Brother Nog, I await your James Bond and/or tragic finale with bated breath.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #905
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

What's bathos?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #906
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
HERE

ba•thos (noun)

1.) a ludicrous descent from the exalted or lofty to the commonplace; anticlimax.

2.) insincere pathos; sentimentality; mawkishness.

3.) triteness or triviality in style.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 1630–40; < Gk: depth ]

—Synonyms: maudlinness, tearfulness; mush, gush, schmaltz; insipidity, inanity.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #907
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Huh, ok. Maybe it was bathos then. I don't know.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #908
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Leave it in. Considering such chapters as "Flotsam and Jetsam" in LotR, Tolkien purposely descended to bathos himself often enough; all he needed was Pippin to achieve it.

Any thoughts, Gwath, on how Jord figures out that Thorn is her final problem top be rid of? It's kind of tough: Khandr's dead and Fastarr and Embla are fugitives. The only other person to hear his foretelling words was that other member of the Borrim house, the npc whose name escapes me. Does Jord have any mental "Osanwe" types of skills? Or are we going to simply have to have a deductive approach to this?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-27-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #909
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Perhaps Jord finds out about Thorn through Uldor. It's been a while since they spoke, and Jord has some manipulating to do. It could come up in conversation.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #910
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Perhaps Jord finds out about Thorn through Uldor. It's been a while since they spoke, and Jord has some manipulating to do. It could come up in conversation.
By the time Jord finds anything out about Thorn through Uldor, she won't have to do anything about him. Uldor will have taken care of all the details.

I thought Thorn was my character's duty to dispose of?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #911
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Ok. Well, the main problem with Thorn is that he might tell Uldor about Jord's evil badness. Perhaps Jord should take care of this problem by convincing Uldor that Thorn is lying and needs to die. That has potential - gives Jord a chance to flex her manipulative muscles and show that she has more than one way of disposing of her foes. What do you think, LMP?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:58 AM   #912
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

All right, I'll fess up. I was getting impatient - again! - with the pace of this rpg so I hatched a plan to Gwath to have Jord kill off Thorn, the only problem being how Jord was to find out who Thorn was and what he's been up to. What ever way this turns out, let's make it interesting! JOrd should manipulate Uldor - and Ulfast too. It's part of the set up.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #913
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Gwathagor, I hope you don't misunderstand me, I meant nothing but compliments with regard to the bathos.

I meant it as the first of pio's definitions, and when used deliberately, it is very funny. It is a fine literary device and some of the world's best writers such as Alexander Pope and Cervantes have used it to great effect.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #914
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

That's OK, that's what I figured.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #915
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
An apology

I just wanted to say sorry.

I never meant to abandon this and I do realise I must look like I had a terrible sulk but I work for an agency and in the Autumn I took on what I thought would be an easy two month assignment but turned into six incredibly demanding months (went in as assistant and ended up covering for the Financial controller from the new year, with a myriad of issues ) and usually 2 to 3 hour a day in the car. And then there were various illnesses and accidents ... I know I have been around the downs but I just haven't been able to do anything that requires much concentration and I just seem to have lost any creativity I ever had.
And it got to the point I was so embarassed that I couldn't even look at the thread...

Anyway I don't expect or deserve forgiveness and obviously you can do as you will with my abandoned child though if it helps he would have been extremely affected the death of Lachrandir who was a kind of father figure to him, and I always expected he would wind up as one of the many dead of the Nirnaeth should you do an epilogue.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #916
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mith! Your apology is of course very, very muchly accepted! I'm sorry to hear life has been so insanely busy for you. 3 hours in the car a day would be the worst part of it for me. I hope things calm down for you and you'll be able to sit back someday and join another RPG and really get to participate.

Thank you for your input on how Tathren would take this tragedy. If you wish to write for him until he leaves the game, then I would be so, so happy.

-- Folwren
Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #917
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I agree with Foley. Mithalwen, it would be great if you could write Tathren for the rest of this rpg.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #918
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thank you .. I felt so terrible about this ... I do like to see things through usually. Life has calmed down a lot for the moment so unless I am completely blocked I will try. I'll try to catch up tonight or tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #919
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, no, no! You're not completely (or even halfway) blocked, by ANY means. If you want, someone could give you a summary of what has happened and what the current plans are, so you wouldn't have to read through both threads all the way, and you could concentrate more on reading the game thread.

-- Folwren
Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #920
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I meant writer's block actually not blocked by other characters.

I certainly don't expect anyone to alter their stuff for me.

Future plans would help ... and current ones .. I would prefer to concentrate on the game thread since I will end up not seeing the wood for the trees.