The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Best of ... Movies Discussions
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2001, 12:02 PM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring The Theatrical Trailer

<BR>I went to the theater for lunch today..... and spent about 10 minutes inside waiting for the previews. Finally the lights dimmed and the magic words came on the screen:<br> <br> New Line Cinema<br> <br> Actually, that wasn't so magical. But what came next was.<br> <br> A fiery animation of the Ring inscription and then a hand grasping the Ring.... a glint of gold sparked the view to a cascade of images... an army of orcs.... a close-up of the orcs .... hobbits... men... Gandalf.... an unexplainable shot of Arwen laying on a bed or a bed of roses or something... then the words I was looking for<br> <br> The Lord of the Rings<br> <br> The trailers was great but too short. It had several flashes of scenes that I can't recall at the moment, but it ended with a wonderful view of the Company of the Ring passing up a trail one by one .... Gandalf, Legolas, the hobbits, Boromir, Gimli (I didn't actually see him because a lady felt that was the time to walk in front of me) and Aragorn.<br> <br> I know there have been some Viggo Mortensen detractors saying he was no Aragorn. But he sure look like a Scoundrel to me. Gandalf looked awesome. Bean is a great Boromir (he might have made a good Aragorn). Legolas' blond, stringy hair is going to drive some folks mad, but he still looks OK.<br> <br> What I really like about what I saw in the preview was that it brought everything down to earth (or Middle-Earth). It put the characters that have been in my head for 20 years and dropped them into real scenery. Rocks, trees, snow. The 'real' story will always be in my head, but now I'll get to see it played out in front of me.<br> <br> I still think that these movies are going to be a huge boost to the JRR Tolkien literary community. People will see them and run to read the books. Especially at the breaking of the Fellowship. People are going to have to know what happens next! This break in the films is what will ensure that viewers and readers are not 'ruined' by the mistakes of the movies. The movie will introduce them and the books will educate them. Then it's our turn to help them understand! <br> <br> P.S. I didn't watch the movie (13 Days). Mrs. Wight wants me to take her to it this weekend and I didn't want to know what happens before then. So I'll get to see the trailer again <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>