The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Return of the Ring and Barrow-Downs Mega-moot - Celebrating Tolkien in 2012

At the TS seminar on Saturday I was given a early booking form for this event "A five day Tolkien conference similar to (but better than) Tolkien 2005 to be held at Loughborough University, Leicestershire 16th-20th August 2012.

There are plans for three streams of lectures, plus creative and fandom streams and child friendly activities (but not a creche!. There will be also the usual dealer and Art rooms, bar and hospitality. They intend to run coach trips to Birmingham, Oxford and possibly elsewhere.

In the evenings there will be one main event and some smaller ones :

Thursday - Opening Ceremony
Friday - Ceilidh
Saturday - Costume Masquerade
Sunday - Banquet dinner

Loughborough University offers a wide range of accommodation from standard single "student" rooms to a 4 star hotel complex. It is also fairly centrally located for transport links.

Registration rates will rise at the beginning of April each year. There will be an extra charge for some activities suceh as the coach trips.

Current rates are (I assume that this is the rate for TS members and there may be asurcharge for non members):

Full adult attending : £60 Attendance and publications

Adult concession/ Parcipating child £50 Attendance and publications

Babe in Arms £1

Supporting £20 - All publications not attendance (may be upgraded later)

Unless the TS is expecting people to anticipate that they will have a babe in arms in 4 years time (either due to extremely effective forward planning or a Rosie Cotton level of fecundity) it might be cost effective Lal and Dave at least registering young Alfred now !

Accommodation and meal rates will be announced later.

I don't think this has been published yet on the web site so remember you heard it here first!!!

Also the conference falls between the London Olympics and Paralympics (one ending a few days before the other starting a few years later, which may be useful leverage if anyone needs more reason than Tolkien to make a trip to the UK at that time!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-30-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That sounds interesting! That is also the year I graduate from high school! When Laurinque will be making a trip around... places. We might be able to go if we start saving now!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Return of the Ring August 2012: A Barrow Downs Mega-moot

"What!?" you say. We haven't even yet had Oxonmoot 2010. "What's this now?"

The great success and buzz generated by the epic Finnish adventure across the New World--there and back--with its many Downer meetings--has got me thinking: why not plan a large Barrow Downs gettogether, giving people time to save money, organise resources, wheedle and needle parents, check out the locale, etc. And what would be a more likely event around which to organise this but a large Tolkien gathering?

The Tolkien Society, building on the great success of Tolkien 2005, is planning a five day "Gathering of Friends" to celebrate Tolkien in August 2012. No, it won't be in Oxford, but in Loughborough, Leicestershire. It looks like noted Tolkien authors Tom Shippey and Brian Sibley will be special guests.

A perfect venue for a megamoot, no? People could attend any of the various activities and events or just hang out together and the Tolkien Society does all the work of planning it.

Here's more information about Return of the Ring 2012. We don't have to be members of the society to attend.

Anyhow, this thread for now is simply a notice of the event, to see if the idea holds merit. Who's interested? Or have I been affected by too much second hand pipeweed?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'm totally in. That would be fantastic.

We can all get together right before the world ends.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'll be there, actively involved in the programme. I very much look forward to the event and would love to see lots of Downers meet there!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Sounds fantastic!
The best bit is that by that time I'll be out of high school and wont need to worry about that any more. And if all goes well I'll be in Britain anyway! Sounds like time to start planning.

Thanks for posting this, Bb.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yes! Now this looks amazing! I'll try to be there by any (reasonable) means possible!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I do like the idea of things being organized for me! Haha. I have no idea what I'll be doing in 2 years but I hope I can maybe squeeze this in. Thank you for posting, Bethberry!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
This sounds like a perfect idea for getting together and meeting those I haven't had the chance to meet yet! Who knows what I will be doing in two years, but this is DEFINITELY something I want to keep as nice possibility for the future!! Thanks for posting Bb!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I sooo want to be there. I have no idea if I'll be able to, though. I doubt if it'll even be feasible...but I'll certainly try to make it happen!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I was at 2005, as was Esty. I go to Oxonmoot every year, but these events are something totally different. If there is the slightest chance you can get there, start saving now, I WILL be there.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Cool. I'll be a Sophmore in college then so hopefully I can make that study abroad in England year since I was planing on going to England anyways.

And then make 2014 study in France first semester.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Like others, I have no idea what I'll be doing in two years, but this sounds awesome and I love the idea of a Mega-Moot!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
"What!?" you say. We haven't even yet had Oxonmoot 2010. "What's this now?"
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...85&postcount=1

Do try to keep up Bethberry..

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Impressive, Mith.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
I most certainly want to attend. It would be a nice chance to finally head over to England and I know it would be a good excuse for the husband to come along with since he too is a Tolkien fan.

So exciting!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Impressive, Mith.
I try to be

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #18
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Sounds like a grand idea! I'll get saving right away! Can someone lend me a tenner?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Sounds like a grand idea! I'll get saving right away! Can someone lend me a tenner?
ppft! Just because you live in old Blighty and don't have to pay air fare . . . I'm in the market for a Tardis, so don't look to me for loans.

Fantastic to see so many postive responses here! Now just keep the date in mind. This would be a grand way to bring together both American and European Downers. And this announcement provides lots of time for *cough* those American Downers who don't have passports *cough* to get working on that document. Can't use a driver's license for this walk!

I'm already making plans for extracurricular activities with Estelyn and I strongly suspect that narfforc will be doing a scouting run of any pubs in the environs so he can report back to us.

Quote:
A two year old thread--isn't that like archeology? *insert winking smilie here as well as I've reached my limit*
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
This would be a grand way to bring together both American and European Downers. And this announcement provides lots of time for *cough* those American Downers who don't have passports *cough* to get working on that document. Can't use a driver's license for this walk!
Ahaha. Can you imagine? "Yeah, we just want to cross the ocean to meet some friends." "How do you know people from the other side of the ocean?" "Uhm....a literary discussion website?"
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Ahaha. Can you imagine? "Yeah, we just want to cross the ocean to meet some friends." "How do you know people from the other side of the ocean?" "Uhm....a literary discussion website?"
When Lauri and I went to Britain and met Downers there the customs agent asked us if we were meeting anybody there and, of course, the answer was yes. Then he asked where we knew these people from and my mother kindly blurts out 'the internet'. The customs agent, needless to say, gave us a very funny look and proceeded to give us a lecture about internet safety.

When we Americans go to Britain for this we must think up a creative way to say we're meeting people off the internet. I still like international book club, to be honest.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
A two year old thread--isn't that like archeology? *insert winking smilie here as well as I've reached my limit*
More like a tribute to Heren Istarion

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
When Lauri and I went to Britain and met Downers there the customs agent asked us if we were meeting anybody there and, of course, the answer was yes. Then he asked where we knew these people from and my mother kindly blurts out 'the internet'. The customs agent, needless to say, gave us a very funny look and proceeded to give us a lecture about internet safety.

When we Americans go to Britain for this we must think up a creative way to say we're meeting people off the internet. I still like international book club, to be honest.
At NiagaraGate, when a certain Downer lost his license and didn't have ID to return to the US from Canada, I realised it had been very wise of all the Werewolfers not to admit to meeting each other through a game where they planned how to kill each other. (The license was soon found by someone else coming across on foot from Canada, who thoughtfully turned it in.)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #24
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
At NiagaraGate, when a certain Downer lost his license and didn't have ID to return to the US from Canada, I realised it had been very wise of all the Werewolfers not to admit to meeting each other through a game where they planned how to kill each other. (The license was soon found by someone else coming across on foot from Canada, who thoughtfully turned it in.)
I read about that.
I think that we Downers may ponder not going across country boarders with other Downers...
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Call it a literary society. That worked very well when officious type people asked about folks we'd met via science fiction clubs and conventions. There are plenty of people who I know very well that I "met" through years of regular correspondence, and only saw face to face after we'd been acquainted for five or ten years. It's the Internet and its ease and the immediacy it can foster that makes people suspicious.

Alas, there is no way we could attend this. The summer of 2012 has already been booked for my first real chance to see Mountains, and even that might be financially dicey. I hope those who go have a splendid time!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #26
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
I read about that.
Yeah, but I was the only Downer (and Mr. Berry) who actually witnessed the gruelling interrogation the unlicensed Downer was submitted to. (What hospital were you born in? Um, um a smial? The Halls of Healing?) Everyone else went through customs and abandoned him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Alas, there is no way we could attend this. The summer of 2012 has already been booked for my first real chance to see Mountains, and even that might be financially dicey. I hope those who go have a splendid time!
That's disappointing. Our loss but your gain. Perhaps something closer to home . . .
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #27
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
and I strongly suspect that narfforc will be doing a scouting run of any pubs in the environs so he can report back to us.
The Public Houses of Oxford are indeed well known to me, for I have been ejected out of most of them. However, this year I will be coming as someone else..........we think.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #28
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Loughborough, Loughborough.... that's not too far from Lal and davem, is it?

I bags crashing on their couch.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/about/findus.html

Not quite near but not very far.. of course everywhere is north for me but having Warwickshire born parents I know some of the Midlands well but get hazy about its northern borders ... I always think Yorkshire seems very remote forgetting just how vast it is and Sheffield low down that it is potentially daytrippable... Geography was never my strong suit...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #30
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I bags crashing on their couch.
If you want to do some damage, I suggest crashing into their couch with something heavier.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #31
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
If you want to do some damage, I suggest crashing into their couch with something heavier.
Don't want to do too much damage, as I'll want a cup o tea in the morning.

Or I suppose there might be hotels in the area... *mumble, mumble*
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/about/findus.html

Not quite near but not very far.. of course everywhere is north for me but having Warwickshire born parents I know some of the Midlands well but get hazy about its northern borders ... I always think Yorkshire seems very remote forgetting just how vast it is and Sheffield low down that it is potentially daytrippable... Geography was never my strong suit...
That's not that far, is it? It always amuses me a little when Brits talk about how far it is from one place to another on such a small island. Of course, my opinion of 'far', or even possibly 'remote', is like going to North Pole from Anchorage, so who am I to talk?

And surely they will have hotels in Loughborough. And if you book them this far in advance you could probably get a fair deal from one as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Accommodation will be available on campus, in the Loughborough University residences according to the link. Food too. And access to the university sports facilities, which are said to be quite good. This is, I think, rather opposite to the Oxford experience. It might even be Jock Central.

Of course, those who might prefer a less formal environment can find, I'm sure, yet olde B&Bs in town.

narffie, we know you know all the public houses in Oxford. It's the ones in Loughborough we need you to canvass for us.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
That's not that far, is it? It always amuses me a little when Brits talk about how far it is from one place to another on such a small island. Of course, my opinion of 'far', or even possibly 'remote', is like going to North Pole from Anchorage, so who am I to talk?
Well I had all this when I lived in Aus - they'd laugh at my idea of far and I'd laugh at their idea of a large town or an old building. But what you have to bear in mind is the traffic density - Oxford is about 90 miles from me and I have done the journey in a barely legal hour and quarter and in an agonising 4and a half. It may be small but it is very dense.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Loughborough? Horrible place. But if all of you lovely people are there I'll very happily go. 2012 should finally have some money again too!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #36
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Loughborough? Horrible place. But if all of you lovely people are there I'll very happily go. 2012 should finally have some money again too!
I thought it might be, reading between the lines of the uni link.

But that's all the more reason for having a very large Downs contingent there, no? Because we bring the fun and beauty with us.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #37
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Sounds goooooooooooooooooooood...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
One year before this event, interest is building - at Finlandmoot, we discussed the possibility of getting Downers together around the time of this wonderful occasion in England next August. I've merged two threads that announced it so that all information is gathered in one place.

Several Downers are definitely planning to be at RotR - I have already registered and will be actively involved in programme organisation and lecturing. Have others already registered? Who's thinking of coming? If a Moot takes place, I will plan to be there as well.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #39
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots

I was just looking at the registration but don't want to do it before we know more details about the Barrow-Downs moot.

We've been discussing it on Facebook. I think we should move the discussion onto the Downs. This would be fair to all the non-facebooking Downers and those who don't want to friend scary internet people. Plus, it should be more coherent here without any separate posts with long comment threads.

We had an FB poll about the exact dating of the moot, with one person voting for week 1 (Aug 6-12), one for week 2 (Aug 13-19), three for weeks 2-3, and four for weeks 1-2. Personally I'm in favour of weeks 2-3 because the actual RotR event is on August 16th - 20th and I think it would be easier to get into a proper moot mood after the "official" stuff is over.

We also thought about hiring a cottage (this was linked) for a week or two so it's easy to hang out together, but everything is still at an early planning stage.

So, who's coming? Any ideas? Suggestions?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #40
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'll be working fulltime again from January on, so chances are looking better that I'll be able to afford Loughboroughmoot, but I won't be able to say anything definite for a couple of months yet. In case I'm able to come, I vote for weeks 2-3 for pretty much the same reason Agan has mentioned. (Btw, I like the term "moot mood".)

IN THE MEANTIME...

... for all those around Europe who won't be able to make it to RotR (or who just can't wait that long), how about having a Wurstlandmoot sometime next spring (like, say, around Easter)? I'd be pleased to host, if there's interest. We live half an hour's drive from Frankfurt-Hahn and about an hour from Frankfurt International, so picking everybody up at their respective airport would be no prob with a bit of organisation. Our house easily sleeps ~8 people (10 with a little piling), and if there should be more, there's a youth hostel in a very nearby village. We live in a pretty rural aerea, but close to the cities of Mainz, Koblenz and Frankfurt and the Middle Rhine Valley, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of Germany with lots of historic attractions (indeed, a day tour by ship on the Rhine, passing the Loreley and one castle after another, is something to write home about).

Discuss.