The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:45 PM   #161
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Searching fixed

The SEARCH function was not operating correctly, but it looks like I have got it working right again. Let's hope it stays right.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #162
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, the Search is working for me, as well.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:28 PM   #163
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Private Messages

One of our moderators pointed out that the 10 Private Message (PM) limit included sent and received messages, so I have increased the limit to 20 so that every one can better manage their PMs. As before, if I see an inordinate amount of PM traffic that is affecting our bandwidth, I will have to reduce the limit again. Please use other means of communication (chat, e-mail, AIM, etc.) when possible.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #164
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Pipe

I'm having some problems with the smilies. I put 4 in a post and it told me that I had too many, so I removed 2 of them. It let me post my reply, but when I looked at it after it was posted, the little smoking, hat wearing, Gandalf looking dude known as 'squatter' was a white box with a red x. I'm presuming this is just another bug to be worked out.

Peace,
Vuelve
Old 02-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #165
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

First, I just wanted to enjoy reaffirming that I'm here, back in my barrow again! (I know I'm home because I can't see my hand in front of my face )

Second, would someone kindly restate--as if they were speaking to a 7 year-old--the logging in/logging out auto & manual that was mentioned on the last page or this one? What is the relationship among those options--what're the causes & effects?

I had a bit of trouble getting in tonight--it didn't auto-log me in, so I had to go back to my email notiication of reactivation, clicked on the link, was brought back to BD where I saw "You've been reativated already, try logging in." I couldn't find a "log in" button, but I saw where I could re-enter my username and password. Apparently that's the login thingy. (Ah, the many "aka's" of computer jargon! )

At any rate, I'd enabled auto-login, so that's why I was confused. I can't recall if I logged out manually last night or not.

Third, I am just very glad to be here! (Thanks, BW!)
Old 02-23-2004, 01:59 PM   #166
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Is "stalking" now limited to checking each forum and seeing who is in it?

(Rats.)
Old 02-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #167
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dininziliel
Second, would someone kindly restate--as if they were speaking to a 7 year-old--the logging in/logging out auto & manual that was mentioned on the last page or this one? What is the relationship among those options--what're the causes & effects?
I will try to help you...without going into relationships, causes and effects...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Barrow-Wight
Go to your USER CP and EDIT OPTIONS and make sure the two 'cookies' options are set as yes.
There you will see these two items, which should be set as bolded:
Quote:
Login, Cookies & Privacy

Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies) yes no

Browse board with cookies?
Clicking yes will use cookies to keep your id for this session. Clicking no will send it through the links. (Selecting no may cause problems when sharing links with people behind the same proxy as you) yes no
To manually log yourself out:
1. On any B-D page, at the top right, press Home button.
2. At the bottom of the Home page, press the Log Out button to manually log yourself out.

The way to log in when you come back is, at the bottom of the Home page, enter your publicly displayed name and password.

Dininziliel, perhaps your real problem is that you need to follow any of the several links to the old forum posted earlier in this thread. Login and go to your user configuration there ("my profile", then View/Update profile) and see that you have a Login name and a publicly displayed (PD) name. The Login name was the name you used to have to use when you logged in, then gave a password. The PD name is the name that showed up beside your posts.

In the NEW forum, you no longer use the Login name. At the bottom of the Home page, where it says, "Login with username and password" enter your publicly displayed name (the old name you posted under under the old forum) and password (the password you used to login with under the old forum).

Maybe this information will be enough to get you back to your old, dead self! With your old, dead post count....
Old 02-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #168
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Ummm... Why don't I have a picture anymore? I didn't change anything, and I can't find a place to put it back on. I really liked mine!

Last edited by Memory of Trees; 02-23-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:23 PM   #169
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Memory of Trees , go to the "User CP" button at the top right corner of the page. Then click on "Edit Options" and scroll all the way down. There you will see a button that says "Change Avatar". Click it. Then you will see a space to for the URL or a space to upload one from your computer.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #170
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Question Auto Login

Hello! Another question about cookies and auto login...

The auto login used to work for me on both of my computers. Then, one evening, I got pulled away from the computer while I was still logged in to the BD. My notebook shut itself off. Since then, the auto login no longer works from either computer. I have tried everything I can think of including de-activating and re-activating cookies, etc, etc. Any suggestions? I really liked the feature and am disappointed that it's not working anymore.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:24 PM   #171
Dininziliel
Wight

Silmaril

Theron Bugtussle--thank you for your information. I have printed it out for future reference!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #172
Hildigard

I have been unable to login in to the Downs since the new format has gone in. I have tried multiple times to sign in with my real username, which is Alatįriėl and my old password. All I get is the 'wrong password' message. I've tried resetting my password 4-5 times and logging in with the temporary password emailed to me. I still get 'wrong password'.

I have gone back to the old form and logged in...no problem. Unfortunately, when I come back here...wrong password.

I finally re-registered under a new user name and email, which is why I'm able to post this message. I don't want to start back out as 'newly deceased'...I want my old name and life (or death as the case may be) back. Can someone PLEASE help me????

~Alatįriėl (really)

Old 02-25-2004, 11:10 PM   #173
Dininziliel
Wight

Silmaril

Alatįriėl (really)

That sounds exactly like what happened to me! The good, wise, and busy Barrow Wight was able to put my wee moundy tunnel back to rights. The only thing I might be able to offer besides free sympathy is to make sure you are entering your old name exactly as you originally entered it when you first entered the Barrow Downs.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #174
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question To logout or not to logout?

To preface: I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer to my question is on this thread, somehow, but I have read every post and it just ended up confusing me more. So I will cite general denseness over carelessness.

The automatic login option: does this mean that I have to log out when I leave to remove my name from the list of users online? It seems that earlier after the transition there was no log out, but that was okay, so now that there is a log out, do I need to use it? With the old forum you had to log out before exiting or you'd be listed as online. The only reason I ask about this, is I usually visit the Downs and read threads as a guest but only login if I have something to post. Basically I'm wondering the automatic login only works if you have manually logged out, or if it automatically logs out now as well.

One other thing: I noticed some earlier questions about forenames and surnames in the profile: B-W answered that we should just use our nicknames on the board like we always have, and put personal information in the profile. But that's just it: you can't fill out those boxes in the profile. On the personal standpoint, I don't even care about my own name being up there, but there's just something very odd about having options up there which aren't actually options. (Eh, just delete the fields, I say, or you'll keep getting questioned about it with every new member. Yes, haha, delete them I say! Frrrry their hides.... )
Old 02-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #175
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
post size limit?

Is there a limit on the size of a post? (thinking of RPG's)

By the way, this new search function is LOVELY. Hasn't failed me yet, not once.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #176
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
error message

White trying to edit a post in Gondor (Here there be dragons), I received the following error message. I am uncertain if this means anything of importance. I was able to edit the post after taking down the site and putting it up again on my computer.

Quote:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /home2/barrowwight/www/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #177
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cami

Had the same problem ---

I was in the Shire looking at one of the threads – I went down to Forum Jump to bring up the Shire main page.

Received this message:

Quote:
Fatal error: out of dynamic memory in yy_create_buffer() in Unknown on line 0

Tried the Forum Jump again after a minute and received this:

Quote:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /home2/barrowwight/www/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

At the moment the Forum Jump in the Shire is working fine.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #178
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The database was doing a backup just a while ago, so perhaps that is why the errors came up. Please tell us again if the problem continues.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #179
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Tolkien

I don't know if there is a (database imposed) limit on post size, but since we are playing RPG games rather than writing Fan Fiction, I think there is an unofficial, practical limit to the amount of text that should be in a post. Since each post is presumably one characters telling their part of a tale, chapter length expositions would seem inappropriate. With that in mind, hopefully we won't see people finding out if there is a size limit, at least not in RPG (and NEVER in Mirth! ).
Old 02-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #180
Elf Sisters

Question

I'm stickifinger but, as you can see, my posts keep coming out as Elf Sisters. Who am I?

Old 02-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #181
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Shield

That is very odd. Please log out and log back in. Then report back here with your status.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #182
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe active topics

Trying to back click from the active topics page doesn't work , it keeps going back to the active topics page. Great new board by the way!
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Old 02-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #183
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Try clicking back twice. It works for me.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:14 PM   #184
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
When I go back to the main forums page all the dates show 2-10 and 2-11.its been doing this off and on for a couple of days now.

Peace,
Vuelve
Old 03-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #185
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies) yes no

though I have marked yes on the thing as it is given above, the site keeps on logging me off each time I come back after a break. funny, that

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #186
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Hullo Elf Sisters - stickifingers, nice to see you again

Another bug - now it says I have included images into my sig, though I did not (do anyone see any images in my sig?)

Old 03-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #187
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Nope, no images that I see. Since your sig is a link, it might be referring to the images on the website that you linked to, if there are any.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #188
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Images in signatures have been disabled because they'd certainly get abused. Maybe the software is over-sensitive when recognizing them.

On a side note, the Haudh-en-Ndengin Archive index has been updated to the new forum organisation and is fully working again.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:12 PM   #189
stickifinger
Animated Skeleton

stickifinger has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you, HerenIstarion. It's nice to be back to my old self.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #190
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Quote:
The auto login used to work for me on both of my computers. Then, one evening, I got pulled away from the computer while I was still logged in to the BD. My notebook shut itself off. Since then, the auto login no longer works from either computer. I have tried everything I can think of including de-activating and re-activating cookies, etc, etc. Any suggestions? I really liked the feature and am disappointed that it's not working anymore.
A week or so ago I posted this question, but nobody responded. Does this mean that there is no ready answer? That my question was accidentally overlooked? Or that it was already addressed somewhere higher in the thread & I missed it even though I read everything pretty carefully? The autologin is still not working from my notebook or my desktop.

Please advise! Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:49 PM   #191
Hildigard

Silmaril Forum Login

Quote:
I have been unable to login in to the Downs since the new format has gone in. I have tried multiple times to sign in with my real username, which is Alatįriėl and my old password. All I get is the 'wrong password' message. I've tried resetting my password 4-5 times and logging in with the temporary password emailed to me. I still get 'wrong password'.

I have gone back to the old forum and logged in...no problem. Unfortunately, when I come back here...wrong password.

I finally re-registered under a new user name and email, which is why I'm able to post this message. I don't want to start back out as 'newly deceased'...I want my old name and life (or death as the case may be) back. Can someone PLEASE help me????

~Alatįriėl (really)

Quote:
From Dininziliel:

Alatįriėl (really): That sounds exactly like what happened to me! The good, wise, and busy Barrow Wight was able to put my wee moundy tunnel back to rights. The only thing I might be able to offer besides free sympathy is to make sure you are entering your old name exactly as you originally entered it when you first entered the Barrow Downs.
Mr. Barrow Wight, good, wise, kind, helpful and busy Barrow Wight...could you please, please, PLEASE help me and fix my account? I still cannot login in under my real identity.

~Alatįriėl (now posting under an alias due to login problems with the new forum)

Old 03-04-2004, 06:02 PM   #192
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ealasaide, can you describe exactly how your autologin is not working? There has been a bit of general confusion over how this feature works. If you logout of a session, autologin will not automatically log you back in. Autologin will only re-login later if you end your session (i.e., close your browser or navigate away to another page) without logging out.

If this is how you expect it to work and you're still having your problem, I don't have a whole lot of ideas, other than perhaps using your browser options to delete all your cookies and starting fresh. You should be aware before trying this, though, that any other autologins you have saved for other sites may be deleted. Try this solution at your own risk.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Are you using some kind of funky browser? Do you have your security settings set unusually high? Is anyone else having this problem? H-I, are you still having trouble? Do both of you also have the "Browse board with cookies" option set to yes?

Hildigard/Alatįriėl, assuming your treklynn address is still good, I've had the system send your login and password info to you. In case you missed it in this thread, remember that you have to login using your exact screen name, "Alatįriėl", matching case, accent marks and all, when you login.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #193
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thanks, Mister Underhill. I can accept that. You're probably going to think I was mistaken, but before I had the computer turn itself off, I actually did logout and have it auto log me back in on my next visit. I know this because I logged out about five times in a row once because I thought the log out wasn't working. (That was before I knew about the auto login feature.)

I'd log myself out then go to check one more forum and find myself logged back in again, so I'd log out again, go away, and when I came back, there I was.... anyway, you get the point.

I guess it's not supposed to work that way, then, eh? Okay! I won't bother you about it anymore. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #194
Hildigard

Silmaril

Quote:
Hildigard/Alatįriėl, assuming your treklynn address is still good, I've had the system send your login and password info to you. In case you missed it in this thread, remember that you have to login using your exact screen name, "Alatįriėl", matching case, accent marks and all, when you login.
Mister Underhill: I received the email, clicked on the link, got the message that my password had been resent & new password emailed to me. The new email was received, I clicked on that link to change the password. I type my name exactly as originally entered (i.e. Alatįriėl) and keyed the temporary password provided. Guess what? "WRONG PASSWORD"!! Why is this not working? I just want my real identity back. I'm feeling really stressing out. Can someone reset me internally through the site, as the auto reset is definitely NOT working? Help!!

~Alatįriėl

Old 03-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #195
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Okay, I think I have figured out the problem. There are several users with variations of the display name Alatįriėl (Alatariel, Alątariel, maybe more...). Apparently, vBulletin has trouble distinguishing these as different names. At least one of these is recently active.

All I can suggest is that you choose a slightly different (or completely different) screen name. I will make the adjustment for you. You will have all your old post counts, etc.

Please post here or PM me with an adjusted screen name and I'll take care of it.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #196
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril I'm Back!!

Mr. Underhill:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! You are a prince among Hobbits...

~Alatįriėl (dancing with joy inside my Barrow)
Old 03-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #197
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

er, dear prince among hobbits (or whoever finds the time, the question to follow is not that important, just my curiosity):

How come some of the fora has HTML on and some off?

thx

Old 03-09-2004, 01:17 PM   #198
Lothķriel

I have to see if I'm able to post, and if so , under what name my post is... And what my status is.

Edit: So, the name is correct, but all of my posts are gone.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #199
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

We have two accounts that might be yours:

1) lothiriel (90 posts)
2) Lothiriel Silmarien (890 posts)

If one of these is the one you are looking for, type in the nick exactly as it shows on the screen (and as it used to show on each of youtr old forum posts) when logging in.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #200
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well! Whenever I'm away for a bit something seems to change here. It's a different look, to be sure. It'll take some getting used to but I'm just gratified to know my account is still active.