The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien LotR: The Two Towers Thread

Greeting fellow Tolkien fans. I have posted this thread on several different boards and have received lots of interesting feedback, so I figured I would post it here too.<P>Only 10 months to go until <I>The Two Towers</I> is released! I don't know about you, but I am dying from anticipation. Information and pics are starting to surface slowly regarding TTT. I have collected an assortment of information and rare pics for you to peruse. Enjoy!<P>For starters, check out this very interesting article compiled by <I>Tolkien Online</I> regarding film changes in <A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_ttt.cfm" TARGET=_blank> The Two Towers</A><P>*Warning: Spoiler commentary coming up! Scroll past to avoid!*<P><BR>Where to begin? First off I have to say, as with the first movie, I agree with almost all of the changes PJ and crew have done. Simply brilliant! The only thing that object to, but I realize it has to be done because of time constraints, it the removal of the Scouring of the Shire (from RotK), and the changes to how Saruman and Grima are killed (in TTT).<P>*Gandalf's resurrection is going to be shown on screen! Hot dam! <P>*Haldir leads a small company of Lothlorien Elves to protect the refugees at Helm' Deep, and then fight in the Battle of Hornburg!? At first I didn't like this, but I like how it helps to bring Arwen into the movie more, and since I just love Elves in general, the sight of them in Battle, firing fire arrows is cool with me!<P>*Legolas on a surf-shield!? Legolas stands on a discarded shield and surfs down a stairway while firing arrows at Battle of the Hornburg! Haha! Awesome! <P>*The Ents storming of Isengard is shown! Bravo! I just can't wait to see this! I wonder how Treebeard is going to look? <P>*Wormtongue pushes Saruman out of Orthanc, and the wizard becomes impaled upon a spiked wheel, apparently part of the machinery of Isengard. <A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=1372" TARGET=_blank>This picture</A> is now confirmed to be true! Should make for a very dramatic end to Saruman. I like to idea of him being killed by his own, twisted, machinery. <P>*Grima Wormtongue is killed by Éowyn. This will solidify her status as <I><B>The most heroic, legendary female fighter of all-time</B></I> on screen. <P>Here are some interesting, hard to find, pics from <I>The Two Towers</I>:<P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=3902" TARGET=_blank>Gandalf the White at Helm's Deep!</A> <P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=2748" TARGET=_blank>Legolas fights with two knives!</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=799" TARGET=_blank>Grima Wormtongue</A><P><A HREF="http://www.caltanet.it/frm/cinema/isda.html" TARGET=_blank>Merry & Pippin in the Marshes</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=3265" TARGET=_blank>Henneth Annun</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=5061" TARGET=_blank>A frightened Frodo</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=1894" TARGET=_blank>Helm's Deep model</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=1942" TARGET=_blank>Warriors of Rohan and Gondor</A><P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=2759" TARGET=_blank>Aragorn with a Bow at Helm's Deep</A><P><BR>Peter Jackson, you are my hero!<P>
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:19 PM   #2
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great pics! Thanks!
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Oops, I forgot a few pics:<P><A HREF="http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules/postcards/index.php?picture=http://www.planet-tolkien.com/images/postcards/21.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Eomer</A><P><A HREF="http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules/postcards/index.php?picture=http://www.planet-tolkien.com/images/postcards/01.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Legolas & Gimli (at Edoras?)</A><P><A HREF="http://www.companyofthering.co.nz/images/news/g1-1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Frodo & Sam in Mordor</A><P><A HREF="http://www.cabed-en-aras.com/ted28.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Morgoth punishes Hurin</A><P>Ok, that last one is not a movie pic, but I love that Ted Nasmith painting so much I just had to include it.
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, Ulmo. Love that Italian site. Great pics!<P>Now I've been very patient and all...but where are the cotton-pickin' pics of Faramir and Eowyn! They're my two favorite characters. (Shoot, I had a crush on Faramir before there WERE any pictures of him.) <P>And I'm sure Peter Jackson had to get his money's worth out of Liv Tyler, but she better not be stealing any of Eowyn's shield maiden thunder in TT and ROTK.<p>[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:39 PM   #5
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Thumbs up

Birdland, fear not my friend, Eowyn still kicks some major *** ! In the movie, she slays both the Witch-King and Grima!<P><A HREF="http://fan.theonering.net/middleearthtours/movies4.html" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> are some pics of Eowyn, Fararmir, and others from TTT.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Awesome...heh!
Old 02-18-2002, 03:16 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Here are some pics of Eowyn, Fararmir, and others from TTT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Aiiiiiii!!!!! Faramir looks like a cross between Steve Irwin and my "Ex"! Nooooo!<BR>(Go back to the lovely picture in your mind, Birdie...go back...go back...)<P>Eowyn looks very pretty, though. Prettier than Arwen.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:41 PM   #8
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

<B>Regarding the Two Towers Trailer</B><P>I heard recently that after they announced the Academy Award nominations, they were going to be showing the brand-new "top secret", 4-minute-long Two Towers trailer in theatres, following the showing of The Fellowship of the Ring.<P>However, the Oscars have been announced, and as far as i know, there is still no trailer. If any of you know if and when they will really be showing it, please let me know ASAP! I'm DYING to see it. It would also be great to see Fellowship again too <BR>If anyone knows anything at all, dont' forget to tell me!! Thanks!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:51 PM   #9
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

A little bird has told me Feb. 25th for the TT Trailer. This bird has been wrong before, so don't quote me on it.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:45 PM   #10
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I posted this already a couple of days ago...
Old 02-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #11
Melime
Pile O'Bones

Melime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AH! I shouldnt be reading these spoilers...now Im even more impatient for December to some around! LOL
Melime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #12
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well the guy playing Grima is well versed at portraying corrupted characters. Anyone else recognize him as the Harkonnen Twisted Mentat from the movie Dune? <P>BTW: LOVE the pic of Gandalf at Helms Deep. Hes like a shining light in all that darkness. Very inspiring.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:51 PM   #13
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Any body gots pics of Legolas shield surfing? If so, send 'em to me! Hantale!(thank you in Quenya)<BR>Oh that it would be December 2002!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 01:16 AM   #14
MenRWeak
Pile O'Bones

MenRWeak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<STRONG><BR>According to screenwriter Philippa Boyens, "Unfortunately, as wonderful and brilliant as that last chapter is, it's not something we believe our film could sustain. You can't have a huge climax that your main characters have been striving for, for three films, and then start the story up again and play out an episodic ending. An audience sitting in the cinema just wouldn't go for it."<BR></STRONG><P>Hopefully this bit of common sense will quell the riot brewing in the ranks of the purists when "The Scouring..." is omitted.

You can prove your point without being immature and a snit. - EOL
MenRWeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:16 AM   #15
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've also seen reports that Saruman does go to the Shire as he should. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some deliberate misinformation coming from Peter and Fran. Putting out rumours is certainly one way to keep us all on the hook and salivating. I think that they quite likely shot a number of different ways to play certain scenes, and will only make a final decision when they have to. I have seen enough samples of stuff on the FoTR trailers that didn't make it into the film to realize that we won't know what to expect until next December.<P><I>sigh</I><P>On a side note, has anyone seen the pics of Peter directing the crowd of a cricket match for the sound effects of TTT? He is there, in shorts and bare feet. The guy is a hobbit! All he needs is one of those long pipes (I want one of those) and the illusion would be complete. So, one sound they recorded was 20-30,000 people <I>whispering</I>. I would think that describes the sounds of the Huorns and Ents as they glide up to Isengard and tear it apart, brick by brick and stone by stone!

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:48 PM   #16
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hopefully this bit of common sense will quell the riot brewing in the ranks of the purists when "The Scouring..." is omitted.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Despite what Fran said, there are just as many rumors (from official sources such as Christopher Lee himself) that say "The Scouring..." will still be in the film. I agree with what was said above: we're not going to know untel next December.<P>I love that pic of Sam and Frodo in Mordor! So cool! And, yes, PJ really is a hobbit. I knew there at least a few who still had doings with us silly Big Folk.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:07 PM   #17
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

go to <A HREF="http://www.jimcalagon.supanet.com/rpt34.htm" TARGET=_blank>www.jimcalagon.supanet.com/rpt34.htm</A> <P>for what is supposed to be a pic of treebeard.<P>I like all the stuff except the surfboard bit that sounds dodgy. I dont mind the things have been changed(except the surfboard though) because most of them have been changed for the better. <P>I cant wait to see the next film.<P>Does anyone know when the video of FOTR comes out?
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 03:16 PM   #18
Glenethor
Wight

Sting

Looks like something from HR Pufn'Stuff (anyone remember that, or do I date myself? Actually, I date myself a lot these da-....stop it! that's silly! Very silly indeed!)<P>The date of the Vid release is variable. I have read reports citing July, all the way up to November for the 'director's cut.' It will be when it will be. Not that that helps any. As soon as Fellowship leaves the theatre, I am going to probably need to check into the Betty Ford Center.<P>Fearless Prediction: The vid, when released, will go straight to # 1, in terms of both rentals and purchases.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Old 02-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #19
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Glenethor:<BR>[QB]Looks like something from HR Pufn'Stuff (anyone remember that, or do I date myself? Actually, I date myself a lot these da-....stop it! that's silly! Very silly indeed!)[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I was thinking more along the lines of <I>Segmund the Seamonster</I> or maybe <I>Lidsville</I>! LOL!<P>Long live Sid & Marty Krofft! <P>
Old 02-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Check into the Betty Ford Center! I hear ya on that one - I almost feel as if something is wrong with me because I have seen the movie 5 times & I am still not sick of it. Chances are 99% that I will go again!<BR>As for rumors, and what not... I can totally see why they would cut the Shire scene out of the movie - because the average American audience probably will think the movie is over the minute the ring hits the fire. But, they seem to have a way of putting things in the movie - even if they are not in chronological sequence (such as flashbacks, etc.) So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little something in there about it. As for the way that Sauruman dies - I will have to see it - I personally don't agree with it, but I could be proven wrong. Who knows, I may like it. And that pic of Treebeard cannot be one for the film, the technology nowadays should be able to come up with something better.<BR>Another crazy note from me - I am planning on buying a DVD player just so I can get LOTR on DVD (well, & Moulin Rouge). I can't wait to see the director's cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:52 PM   #21
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

This is a dangerous thread. It makes we want to dance ecstatically, and, well, no one should be subjected to that!<BR>On Faramir: No intelligent comments are possible at this time, so I'll just resort to saying <B>daaaaaaamn</B>. Anyone else wish to be Eowyn right now? <BR>Gandalf looks magical on his Shadowfax. Mordor looks spectacular. The men of Rohan, Gondor, Aragorn, Legolas...I guess all that they elicit from me at this point is another long <B>daaaaaaamn</B>. I'm ready to be enchanted all over again. <BR>Peter Jackson-I'm counting down the days! (Gah! I need a life! Oh well...)<p>[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #22
raefindel

Sting

Well, Faramir DOES look a lot like boromir, but forgive me if I'm dissapointed he doesn't have dark hair!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:07 PM   #23
raefindel

Sting

Hey! Did any notice the pic of Legolas IN A SADDLE!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:25 PM   #24
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

NOOO! Elves can't ride with saddles!<BR>And i can't beleive there will be no scouring of the Shire! We need to give those movie hobbits some action. And i'd rather Sauman and Wormtouge died in the book's way.<BR>But i have heard a couple of funny changes.<BR>1.Sam hits Gollum with a pan.(remember he was able to practice in Moria)<BR>2.Merry tries to ride a horse but has trouble getting it to go.<BR>I'm not sure if they'll really happen but they sound funny.<BR>Oh and Gollum's supposed to have an expanded role! YES!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:11 AM   #25
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tarlondeion Of Gondolin:<BR><STRONG>go to <A HREF="http://www.jimcalagon.supanet.com/rpt34.htm" TARGET=_blank>www.jimcalagon.supanet.com/rpt34.htm</A> <P>for what is supposed to be a pic of treebeard.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>OK Tarlondeion, that is a picture of the apple tree in the "Wizard of Oz" with google-eyes pasted in. It is not - I repeat: NOT - Treebeard. I have no idea what Treebeard will be, but that ain't it. <P>Boredom and Photo Shop; that's how rumors get started. (Hey, wanna see a picture of Treebeard standing on top of the WTC?)
Old 02-20-2002, 12:48 AM   #26
Glenethor
Wight

Sting

Tigerlily, I am going to buy a DVD player <I>and</I> a big screen TV just for the release of this (and the subsequent two) movies. Wouldn't do it for Star Wars, or any other film I'd watch over and over, but I intend to do it for this. FoTR has become my favourite movie, and you know, I am not easy when it comes to something like that. <P>Everyone's welcome at my place to watch, but you gotta bring your own popcorn...and pipeweed...especially the pipeweed!<BR>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Old 02-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #27
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I came across a very interesting new pic. This is what the Shire will look like if Frodo does not succeed. A burnt out Green Dragon Inn and Pippin in chains. <P> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.hatchfx.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hatchfx.com/</A> and click on the LotR link.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:08 PM   #28
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Wow, sure opens up a whole new discussion: "What were these scenes for"?<P>Think those were filmed solely for the Mirror of Galadriel scene, or is the Shire still gonna get Scoured?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 PM   #29
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A burnt out Green Dragon Inn and Pippin in chains. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*everyone in a ten mile radius covers ears as Rosa lets out a howl of woe* NOOOOOO!!! Run, Frodo, run! C'mon guys, you can do it! Don't let Sauron beat you! (It's so horrible to actually see that. Tolkien said in the forward to LotR that Hobbits wouldn't survive long even in slavery if Sauron won.) *sniffle*<P>Rose- I so wanna see Sam bean Gollum! They can't kill him (thankfully) but he at least desrves that! I'm surprised Sam didn't do it in the books; I know he wanted to. He said something about doing bodily harm to Gollum if he(Gollum) damaged his(Sam's) pans. It was the stewed rabbit chapter of TTT. Hm, guess PJ wanted to condense that whole scene.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:32 PM   #30
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

We Elves do too ride in saddles!!!!!<BR>If you wil remember from the FOTR book, Glorfindel tells the hobbits about raising the stirrups of his saddle for Frodo.<BR>Any pics of Legolas...woo hoo!!!! Love them Elven men! <p>[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Aralaithiel ]
Old 02-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #31
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:<BR><STRONG><P>*everyone in a ten mile radius covers ears as Rosa lets out a howl of woe* NOOOOOO!!! Run, Frodo, run! C'mon guys, you can do it! Don't let Sauron beat you! (It's so horrible to actually see that. Tolkien said in the forward to LotR that Hobbits wouldn't survive long even in slavery if Sauron won.) *sniffle*<P>Rose- I so wanna see Sam bean Gollum! They can't kill him (thankfully) but he at least desrves that! I'm surprised Sam didn't do it in the books; I know he wanted to. He said something about doing bodily harm to Gollum if he(Gollum) damaged his(Sam's) pans. It was the stewed rabbit chapter of TTT. Hm, guess PJ wanted to condense that whole scene. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well Rosa, you will be happy to know that in the TTT movie Sam hits Gollum over the head with his pan! LOL! That should be funny as hell! In the book, he only talks about it.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:05 PM   #32
raefindel

Sting

I remember that distinctly. Legolas, however, made a big deal about the Riders of Rohan removing the saddle before he would ride. I seem to remember someone mentioning Gandallf rode "Elf-Fashion" as shadowfax wouldn't have a saddle.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:14 PM   #33
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Raefindel:<BR><STRONG>I remember that distinctly. Legolas, however, made a big deal about the Riders of Rohan removing the saddle before he would ride. I seem to remember someone mentioning Gandallf rode "Elf-Fashion" as shadowfax wouldn't have a saddle. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So yeah, they seem to have changed it. Maybe Orlando Bloom didn't want to ride bare-back. I could never get used to it myself.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:20 PM   #34
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lush:<BR><STRONG>So yeah, they seem to have changed it. Maybe Orlando Bloom didn't want to ride bare-back. I could never get used to it myself.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Orlando Bloom should have sucked it up and rode like an Elf!<P>Olivier wouldn't have used a saddle.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #35
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Thumbs up

Can't say as I blame hin. I've never been on a horse myself, in my life.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:06 PM   #36
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Birdland:<BR><STRONG><BR>Orlando Bloom should have sucked it up and rode like an Elf!<P>Olivier wouldn't have used a saddle.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah yes, the spoiled actors of today, they have to have their Dom Perignon, their air-conditioned trailer, <I>and</I> their saddle. They are, however, still delightful, as is the case with Mr. Bloom. <BR>...And why should I talk anyway? I'm a primadonna in my own (albeit lesser) right.<BR>*Lush bites her tongue*
Old 02-20-2002, 09:10 PM   #37
raefindel

Sting

Lush, are you in love with Orlando?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:02 PM   #38
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

It's probably a good thing he had the saddle - I read somewhere that he actually fell off of his horse during filming - imagine if he hadn't had a saddle!<BR>By the way - riding horses is the best, but bareback is soooooo scary! You feel like you will fall off, it is especially hard to hold on at a full run - I used to take lessons, it was the best!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:11 AM   #39
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

I heard that the DVD is released August 6th and the directors cut is coming out in November. I can't wait that long for the movie, naturally, so i am going to download it as soon as possible. (loving my fast comp and DSL!) <P>That pic of Treebeard looks like something out of a kid's cartoon show. I thought Treebeard was supposed to be more serious looking than that! LOL, we'll see...<P>The movie and the book are both fantastic . The only good thing about seeing the movie before i read the book was that i was able to appreciate the movie for its own sake, and not measure its quality solely based on how well it matches the novel. The things that were left out of Fellowship-i'd say that they were definitly missing, but not missed...the movie was incredible, and even though the books are a lot better, they are good in their own ways, it's almost like they are two separate things. It's the story that matters...the story is what is so moving and so grand.<P>Anyway...ooohh, this thread could be a spoiler for me, because many of you are discussing the later plot in the story, and i'm only on the beginning of Two Towers right now (i'm on the Treebeard chapter)...maybe i should stay away from here til i finish the books...

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:27 AM   #40
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yay, someone agrees with me! I feel exactly the same way, Jessica. (Btw, welcome to the 'Downs!)<P>On Mr. Bloom: y'know, by the time they got to filming the orc battle in FotR, they were using CG (computer generated) arrows for Legolas' bow. He shot one of the crew members by accident, apparently, so they went with CG for saftey's sake. Maybe there was a similar issue with the horse...<P>"A mare? A mare! Is that what you take me for? A horse?!" <BR>~The Unicorn, "The Last Unicorn" (Thanks Rankin/Bass! And sorry, everyone; that was totally random, one of my particular personality quirks.)