The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril A Look Back

Well, seeing as how we are all in heavy anticipation for the release of <I>The Two Towers</I>, I decided to go waaayyy back in this section and view old topics about how people felt before the first film's release.<P>I reccommend viewing these old topics because they are saying back then a lot of what we are saying now. It's really interesting, for me especially, to see what people were saying before FOTR was released. I had not read the books then, so I was not ancipating anything at the time. It's really nice to go back and compare out current views with everyone's expectations. A lot of people who posted then aren't even around the boards anymore (sadly), perhaps the release of the second film will have them poking their heads around here a little more...<P>What are some of your opinions of some of the old posts (from pages 22 forward)?<P>It's always nice to look back on the past while we are waiting for the future to arrive.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! I love looking at old threads. It is funny, people are like Ohhhh I cant wait till FOTR! It is funny. It is great to see people who were here before I was, and how much they have changed.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I just finally got around to doing this. I heartily recommend it, for the following reasons:<P>1: They're hilarious. The paranoia level is way up there. There are so many places where people got worked up over supposed mistakes that didn't even turn out to be in the movie. For instance, some people were positive that Bilbo's door would be yellow instead of green, and this seemed like the end of the world to them. Well, guess what? It was green!<P>2: It puts all our speculating on TTT in perspective. How paranoid are some of our suppositions and worries going to look a year from now? I know I have a few, and now I'm thinking...maybe I'm doubting too much? Which leads to:<P>3: It will increase your confidence in Peter Jackson. When you look at the things he was erroneously accused of, you will appreciate him more. For instance, in a thread which asked how you would adapt the book, someone considered starting the movie at THE COUNCIL OF ELROND!!!! Then in another, someone stated that the movie would leave out the Ring's history and the part where Gandalf tells Frodo about it. Others thought that the Elves would levitate like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Et cetera.<P>So again, I recommend reading the old, OLD threads from before the movie came out, especially if there are some particular parts in TTT that you are sure PJ will botch.<P>PS Sorry for awful spelling errors or typos in this post, but I got kicked off the interet as I was proofreading version number one, and I don't want it to happen again.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:12 AM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Thank you, Diamond18. You have very well stated the reasons why I thought it would be great for others to take a look back. I am glad you had fun going back to these threads.<BR>I think that we sometimes forget to learn from the past & it seems like a lot of threads are lost that are surely well worth reading (this goes for almost all threads).<BR>Perhaps after TTT is released we should look back at what we were thinking about it around now.<p>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote