The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
The bearers of the Three

Do you think that when the bearers of the Three set sailed to Valinor, they became greature in personal stature than any eldar there, even Olwe?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Why might that have happened?
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

In other words, you are asking what place Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf took in the hierarchy once they arrived in Valinor?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
In other words, you are asking what place Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf took in the hierarchy once they arrived in Valinor?
Sure. I'd like to include that too, but my main point was that since the great rings, especially the Three had the greatest powers & when worn, who knows what kowledge or wisdom the bearers gained, even Gandalf, so not so much of their heirarchy but of their "hero-ness".
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know that the rings could imbue their wearers with wisdom. Their primary functions were preservation and kindling hearts to great deeds. It makes sense that the ringbearers would be greeted with respect and admiration on their arrival in Eressëa and Valinor, but I doubt that at this late stage in Elven history, when "an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song" (Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age), much emphasis would be placed on social standing.

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 08-26-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Three Rings

The Rings could not have gotten them greater standing than what they had. Galadriel was rebelious in the first and second ages causing her to be banned from returning to Valinor until she refused the lure of the one ring. Gandalf who was really Olorin the Maia was already greater than Olwe. When the Rings were made by Celebrimbor in the Second age, they were made using the knowledge that was given to him by Annatar (Sauron). His hand may not have touched them, but they were still tied his one, when his ring was destroyed the power of theirs failed. They Valar would have rewarded perhaps for great deeds they had done.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

You're forgetting that the Three were not just for preservation, but also enhanced the natural abilities of their bearers. And I doubt that once the Great Rings lost their powers, the "enhancements" they've been gifted for using it would simply disappear. Take Frodo for example. Only a couple of times has he placed the ring on his finger & already acquired some "otherwordly" knowledge such as percieving Galadriel's invisible ring. And even unto the end, Bilbo & Frodo were "tainted" with the One's power & had to sail for West. With the three, perhaps they were "tainted" with the same knowledge as well but of the good side. Surely Galadriel & Elrond would seem a little higher in personal character (for they held their rings for thousands of years & who knows what attributes they've gained & increased), strength, wisdom, & endurance compared to the remaining high kings of Valinor who bask in the protection of the fence of the Valar.