The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #721
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I don't actually remember Finrod having trouble with dragons, unless you don't count Dagor Bragollach, where he actually didn't come to direct contact with Glaurung, so I don't think this is the case.

Anyway, the caves part is right. I want two other things they had in common - one is very, very, very, very, very much obvious. The second one is not as much.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #722
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
but they all travelled east, dwo from Valinor, the other from Lindon...why doesn't that count?

maybe...all Elves if you say it's so obvious

and all had dealings with Dwarves
Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #723
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, you are right about the eastward travel part... and yeah, they were Elves... you know, I found it a little bit leaky and didn't want it to be too obvious, so I tried to put all they had in common together... but what I was up to, the original idea and the most important to me, is the last one you have yet to guess. What do these three have in common, apart from that they are Elves, traveled from Lindon and lived in caves...

And P.S. Thranduil didn't have any "dealings" with Dwarves, unless you count capturing Thorin or bartering for Smaug's treasure... the elves made all the underground halls themselves.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #724
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
ok, one thing I found is they all possesed necklaces from the Dwarves
Finrod was given the Nauglamir by the Dwarves, and it passed to Orodreth after he left, and Thranduil got a necklace of silver and pearls

Also, all 3 wore crowns to show their title

Thranduil wore [font=Verdana][size=-1]a crown of red leaves and berries in his golden hair, and in the spring his crown was made of woodland flowers

[/size][/font]When Finrod left Nargothrond with Beren to fulfill his oath Orodreth was given the silver crown of Nargothrond in stewardship
Old 01-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #725
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I knew the riddle was stupid when I posted it, but now I see it is even worse. We could rename this thread "Finding Out What Else These People Had In Common"

Still there is one, I think more obvious and more... let's say... natural, not break-neck thing about them. Something very simple, like that they all dwelt in caves.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #726
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

that they were at one point rulers of Elves

btw, I don't know how many of the 3 I guessed and how many not
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #727
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

May this be a warning for all, do not change your original question just because you think it'd be better to do it other way. Okay, let's get this over with.

Finrod, Thranduil, Orodreth: They were all elves (or rulers of elves), that's the first one (most obvious). They all dwelt in caves, that's the second one. And they also all .... (insert the correct last answer).

The last thing is not specific for them alone, as much as the first two were not (there were many other rulers of elves, or many who dwelt in caves - dwarves, for example). This is why I originally put that caves thing in there as well. Because there were many who fulfiled the criteria for the last thing, but they were not elves or didn't live in caves, or both (or vice versa). So there are only these three elven kings in Middle-Earth, who dwelt in caves, and also (...)
Old 02-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #728
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

had a bridge near their cave
Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #729
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh, it hasn't died yet?

Good, they have. But that goes together with the cave. But there is yet something, well, they all share naturally. It is not anything like they built themselves a cave, forged themselves a sword or received a ring from someone or whatever... (not that they did one of the last two)
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #730
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

naturally...perhaps that they had a liking for jewels?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #731
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, I think this was not specifically said about all of them...

Something really, really natural.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #732
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well since Thingol meets the first 2 things as well, it should be something to differenciate them from Thingol, and the only thing that comes to mind is Melian's presence...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #733
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
Could the 'natural' answer you are looking be that they all had blonde hair? This isn't surprising for Finrod and Orodreth since they were of the house of Finarfin, but when I looked it up on a hunch, I was surprised to find out that Trhanduil also had blonde hair.
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #734
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Ah...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #735
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Yes, the hair was was the other thing I had in mind! Good job!

Okay, now TM answered the first part, but Shards answered the second one... hmm... would you consider it fair, if I pass the thread to Shards now, TM?

After all, knowing you I think you'll manage to answer the next posted question correctly and thus take over the thread in no time
Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #736
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Definitely, the caves and kings ones were easy, it was Shards that did the hard part.
I have to think harder next time...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #737
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Shards are you posting a new one or should I?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #738
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry

Sorry TM. My life has been a whirl-wind lately, so I haven't been able to keep in touch with the Downs. Please go ahead. Someday you'll return the favor. I know that you're good for it.
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #739
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok...What do Fingolfin and Finwe have in common?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #740
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

F in the beginning?

Or, they were both Noldor? Or they both had three children (at least in the published version)?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #741
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, something else struck me

- killed by Morgoth?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #742
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well...you're right about that last one, however it's not what I had had in mind
Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #743
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I will think more, but possibly not now. I didn't even think (until the Morgoth idea) that I could come upon anything reasonable today. Okay, one more try:

They were both Lords of Tirion?

If not, then... tomorrow. Unless of course someone answers that meanwhile.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #744
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nah, something else.
Actually the earlier try was closer.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #745
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Just for confirmation, I suppose it's not anything like "they faced Morgoth" or "they faced a Vala" or "they died by the hands of a Vala" or just some other variation of that statement?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #746
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #747
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Seems no one (and certainly not me) is able to come up with any answer, perhaps you could provide us with a hint, TM? At least a little one, if that's possible?

EDIT: Yay! 500th post! I am a Ghost Prince of Cardolan now! Beware! Boo-booo... uh, okay
Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #748
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well it has something to do with someone being killed by someone else

I was Prince before you
Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #749
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
I was Prince before you
Oh yes, but it's a long time... can't I express my joy about it? It's a jubilee after all...

Killed, hm? Well, the only thing that now comes to my mind is that their first sons were killed by balrogs...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #750
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

...which is the answer I was looking for
Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #751
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, here goes another

What do Náin, Isumbras III. and Éomund have in common?

Note: I haven't noticed that before, but TM, look up this page. It's really... interesting. A private page, I'd call it. Well, almost. Shards has no avvie, so his two posts are not that easy to spot.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #752
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

One more question, which Nain is it?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #753
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Náin the "not-numbered".
Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #754
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Aha

Maybe that their sons lead their people in important battles
Dain II, son of Nain in the Battle of Dale
Eomer, son of Eomund in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and later at the Black Gate
Bandobras, son of Isumbras III in the Battle of Greenfields
Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #755
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, yes, good way, though it is not exactly what I had in mind, could you be somewhat more concrete? There is something yet more concrete.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #756
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok, another idea
Each of them had a child that killed the leader of the opposing force in battle.
Eowyn, daughter of Eomund, killed (reduced to impotence) the Witch-king
Dain II, son of Nain, killed Azog
Bandobras, son of Isumbras III, killed Golfimbul
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #757
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Not exactly. This is very close - though not exactly what I had in mind. The Eomund part is the hardest, probably, but the thing the persons have in common is very, very, very specific. Not just "they killed some leader" but something very concrete.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #758
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I've got it...maybe that they killed these leaders with one blow
Old 04-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #759
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Umm, no, no, if you want to hear it, Éowyn is not correct in the answer.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #760
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, I was going to say their sons became leaders of their people, even though the fathers didn't have this function, but Isumbras III doesn't fit the pattern
Maybe just that their sons became leaders of their people