The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Any last-minute thoughts?

Well, it's only ten days until ROTK comes out. How is everybody feeling about it as of now? Are there any last-minute spoilers/suggestions/PJ death threats? I'm interested in hearing your replies.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that it is all coming to the end, so to speak, many feel that PJ has failed in some way. For me, the movies are more than just an adaptation; they're a brand new vision of LOTR. I knew going in that it probably wouldn't be the same Middle-Earth that I was so familier with, but I remembered one thing. Peter Jackson and everyone who were involved in creating Middle-Earth on the big screen were just as much fans of the book as you and me.<P>All I'm trying to say is; even if you felt that the movies butchered the books, still respect the dedication and hard work that went into making them. <P>It seems like only yesterday when FOTR came out in theaters. Now it has been 2 years, and now the greatest movie phenomenon of all time is finally drawing to an end. I'll miss those days of counting down on the calender, waiting for the FOTR:EE DZVD to come out, waiting for TTT and the EE DVD to come out. <P>I guess you could say, we've been "there and back again".
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

:sniff: :sniff: :Sob: I can't believe it is almost over. After I see ROTK I will have that feeling like the day after X-Mas. No presents to open.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't wait. I am a little nervous about the movie, though I am comforted because everything I have heard about it has been very good. I do think of it as an ending, because there will probably be nothing as big as this, or anything like this again for a long time. And for me, since I am a senior in high school, it really feels like a sort of ending. This is the last winter of my life that will ever be like this. Next year will be much different in many ways.<P>I can't believe though that after 2 years of waiting it is almost here. And I can't believe that I am going to be going to a midnight showing on a SCHOOL NIGHT! This is something that I never thought that I would ever do. I am going to be so tired, but it is so worth it <p>[ 2:13 AM December 08, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm worried that I will want perfection and not get it. I know this is silly, but the same happened on TT and I left the theatre dissapointed. It was only on reflection and going back a second time with my diffrerences with the script acknowledged that I enjoyed the film.<P>I know of 2 other scenes left out other than saruman and the scouring. now I know of these I can live with this and wait for the extended dvd for them. But I have heard on one reivew that the cracks of doom scene is somewhat different from the book. I'm not sure how true this is.<P>But this is mainly what I'm worried about. The heart of the story is what happens at the cracks of doom. I hope to God it isn't changed much. I also hope to God, that after finishing ROTK playstation 2 game last night, that it's not like the game!!!!!!!!!<P>Also, on a tangent, the extended versions have made Jackson lazy I believe. The other 2 scenes along with Saruman will no doubt be in the extended dvd, but this is an easy excuse for Jackson to cut these scenes so he has more time for his action scenes, i.e. Pellonor fields and the Black Gate will no doubt take a large chunk of the movie time.<P>He did the same with Helm's Deep in TT, and look at what has been put back in the extended dvd. The film is now a masterpiece.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
Becca

Sting

i can't wait for the final and best instalment of this great epic. <BR>i think i have more anticipation for the final film because i have not read the final book and therefore do not know wot is goin to happen.<BR>bring on the 17th!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elivish Princess, <P>I would love to hear your views and your feelings afterwards, seing as you have not read the final book.<P>I am cajoling, reading to, pleading and shouting at my wife to finish lotr before she sees the film with me next week. I think it will be much more emotional if you have read the books, but would like to hear from someone who hasn't (ie yourself)
Old 12-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #8
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope I am disappointed with the 3rd film, but for some reason I don't think I will be.<P>Everytime I watch the first two, I like them more and more for different reasons. Hopefully I will feel the same with this one.<P>Just one other thing though. Whatever Jackson goes on to do next, his work will always be compared to "Lord of the Rings".<P>Good Luck to him.
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'd have to say "thank goodness the hype will finally be over!"<P>These movies have been the most hyped-up in history. Yes, even more than Star Wars, particularly if you happen to live down here in Aotearoa/New Zealand.<P>Once the movies have been released, the Oscars have been and gone, and the ROTK extended edition is released, then everything will be back to normal. We will finally be able to enjoy PJs movies from our own point of view, over and over, without having the media perspective thrust in our faces. The big companies will finally stop cashing in, too, and look for another bandwagon to jump on. You can't turn on the TV down here anymore without Telecom, Air New Zealand or somebody else showing a LOTR related ad to try and keep our interest.<P>LOTR movies = good<BR>over-hyped LOTR media phenomenon = bad
Old 12-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>over-hyped LOTR media phenomenon = bad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I completely agree, it would have been much more wonderful if many of the companies that are now cashing in on the phenomenon would have not in the first place. I feel so sorry for the poor Aussies who now think of KFC chicken when they think of LOTR because of those stupid ads.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:11 AM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It was only on reflection and going back a second time with my diffrerences with the script acknowledged that I enjoyed the film. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Essex, I too enjoyed TTT much more second time round, when I wasn't so preoccupied by the changes that had been made. <P>If you think that you will only be able to enjoy RotK once you have come to terms with the changes, then I recommend that you <I>seriously</I> consider looking at the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002462" TARGET=_blank>"Everything you wanted to know" spoiler thread</A>. I certainly feel that I will enjoy RotK much more having done so.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the summer of 2001 I read "The Hobbit" not having any idea there were movies being made and having no clue what I was getting into. <P>I look back now atticipating RotK and a supper LotR freek and I must say that I've been on one wild ride with many bumps and thrills.<P>I have enjoyed being a part of this great time in LotR history and I look forward to more fun with The Barrowdowns many years into the future.<P>"It's a dangerus busness, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to."<BR> ~Bilbo <p>[ 7:25 AM December 09, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 AM   #13
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Saucepan man. Cheers, I've had a scan through your posts on that thread (I didn't look at the review itself). <P>You seem to believe that the Cracks of Doom looks good. I had heard from another review that they had changed it. As I posted a few weeks back, as long as cracks of doom and the slaying of the witch king remain faithful to the book, then I probably won't have a big problem.<P>I think I'm going to give the Net a rest for a week. I've got enough spoilers now. It's just over a week away until I go and see ROTK (10 am showing of course! No midnight showings around Essex it seems), I know the various changes he's made (other than the cracks of doom - am I wrong SaucepanMan?) and that will do for now I think.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:53 AM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How is everybody feeling about it as of now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*hyperventilates*<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Are there any last-minute spoilers/suggestions/PJ death threats? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Spoiler<BR>|<BR>|<BR>|<BR>|<BR>V<P>D enethor gets hit over the head.<P>|<BR>|<BR>|<BR>|<BR>V<P>By Gandalf.<P>*bursts out laughing*<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm interested in hearing your replies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You really want to hear "Denethor, Denethor, Denethor, Denethor, Denethor... *squeeeeee!!*" over and over again?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I understand that Denethor has a little "aerial episode" too, Meela. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You seem to believe that the Cracks of Doom looks good. I had heard from another review that they had changed it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I believe that it is <I>slightly</I> different, but not radically so. It looks to me from what I have read like it will be an absolutely stunning scene. And the Grey Havens too, apparently. <P>The reviews are beginning to appear in the newspapers here, and I must say that I have heard nothing but delight, awe and admiration so far. OK, they're mostly not LotR book people, but they are hardened film critics.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #16
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cheers, Saucepan Man. I am now not worried.<P>PS, re my spat with Eurytus on the other thread, do you expect anything different??!!!<P>We're going to meet outside the school gates for a punch up when the bell rings!<P>PS Now I've got your answer I'll drop out now and I'll be back again after I've seen the movie. Good luck.<p>[ 11:44 AM December 09, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]