The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #361
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Ye Knighte voteth

Welle, I may die soone, but I'll vote anywaye.

++SamwiseGamgee

It's as goode a guesse as any, plus I'm kind of out of ideas.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #362
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A Lycanthropy Q & A from the supposed Cobbler

Q1 Why did LMP survive yet another night?

A1.1 The Beorning would be a fool to kill such a prime target of suspicion.
A1.2 LMP is the Beorning.

Q2 Is LMP the Beorning?

A2.1 Impossible, because LMP is an Ordinary Innocent.
A2.2 Impossible, because LMP is the Cobbler (see Q5 below)
A2.3 Impossible, becaue if LMP was the Beorning he would have killed The Saucepan Man on the first or second night, because as has been proven, he's too dangerous to the lycanthropes to be left alive. Which begs the next questions.....

Q3 Why didn't the werewolves kill SPM?

A3.1 They feared he was the Hunter, which is still a possibility (can the Hunter kill the Beorning?).
A3.2 They suspected that he might be the Beorning, in which case killing him would
(1) remove one of their own number (I believe it is a fact that a werewolf or Beorning attacking each other would end up in the death of both?);
(2) be counterproductive to their goal of getting rid of two innocent villagers per night for as long as possible.

Q4 Why didn't the Beorning kill SPM?

A4.1 Because the Beorning wants to lose.
A4.2 Because SPM is the Beorning.

Q5 Is LMP the Cobbler?

A5.1 To my understanding (waiting for more information from the Moddwen on this), the Cobbler has already lost, so s/he might as well reveal her/himself unless for spite s/he wants to see the Beorning win.
A5.2 No, because if I were the Cobbler, I would have realized that I've lost and would reveal myself and ask that you get rid of me, because that's how I play the game. I call upon the Cobbler to do this. Take that for what you will.

Q6 What if SPM is not the Beorning?

A6.1 Then the Beorning has been most unwise in allowing SPM to survive so long. Personally, I don't think anybody playing the game is that unwise; but I could be wrong.
A6.2 I notice that SPM has pulled back from LMP as his primary suspect, dismissing me as the Cobbler. This seems most convenient (and I admit I did my part in lending credence to this clever piece of strategy) after he so persuasively cast suspicion my way as the Beorning just two Days ago.
A6.3 SPM has assiduously been at work to discredit me since the beginning of this entire lycanthropic nightmare. Why would he do that if he were not seeking out likely innocents at whom he could conveniently cast suspicion?

I could be wrong. It could well be that Meneltarmacil is as guilty of Beorningness as he suddenly appeared to me (and apparently to SPM - how convenient-) yesterDay.

But then I find myself drawn back to the same original question that started this entire Q&A session:
How is it that SPM, not an object of much suspicion, has survived this long?

I rest my case.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-21-2005 at 08:26 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #363
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, one more Answer to the Question of "Is LMP the Cobbler?"

A: If LMP was the Cobbler, he wouldn't give a rip who the Beorning is. Since he is doing all he can to discover the Beorning, it should be clear that he is not the Cobbler.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #364
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
Ok so I guess the reasons people think Im a Bear is because I havent posted enough and of who Ive voted for. Those seem like unsolid reasons to me.

SamewiseGamgee I guess being the only one voting for a wolf every night isnt contributing enough. I also believe I was one of the main reasons Laitaine was lynched. Anyways I will not impress you because I dont really care.

I did think SPM would have died by now as well. He is very helpful to have (well against the wolfs) but that could easily be why he has had basically no suspicion cast his way.

People keep saying that all I do is defend when that is really not true. Go read my posts. The first were I will admit but since then I have not really defended myself at all.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #365
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
Well Im going to sleep so I guess I have to vote.

This is a tough call but Im going with:

++SamewiseGamgee

I was going to vote for Saucepan but I figured I would let him go for at least one more night.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #366
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What have we got to lose but his clanging? And I think LMP makes the most sense today. Cobbler? I doubt it. And even so, he makes sense.

++The Saucepan Man

'Tis an honest vote! Chuck no potatoes hither!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #367
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

LMP, making sense? That's funny, by his own admission he's confused the heck out of us. His post of Q and A I don't see as solving anything...especially what he's claimed.
Quote:
Since he is doing all he can to discover the Beorning
++LMP
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM   #368
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nonnacedak
SamewiseGamgee I guess being the only one voting for a wolf every night isnt contributing enough. I also believe I was one of the main reasons Laitaine was lynched. Anyways I will not impress you because I dont really care.
You don't really care. Hmm. That almost sounds like the Cobbler to me, except I doubt the Cobbler would nail a wolf every time he voted. That would be killing your own team completely. And I don't like this new non-chalant attitude we are getting from Non. Since he's not the Cobbler, and I am now coinvinced he is not for the villagers, he must be our Bear.

++Nonnacedak

If you think this is somewhat early, well, I'm going to bed, and as tired as I am I seriously doubt I could drag myself out of bed to post in the morning.

voting so far:
SamwiseGamgee - 2
The Saucepan Man - 1
LMP - 1
Nonnacedak - 1

votes left: 4
Old 08-22-2005, 02:19 AM   #369
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Durelin has been awfully quiet today. She voted for SpM without giving reasons. I'd like to hear more from her.

I've noticed that others have started wondering, too, why SpM is still alive. Lmp offered some reasons but does SpM have a clue about this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
You [Nonnacedak] don't really care. Hmm. That almost sounds like the Cobbler to me, except I doubt the Cobbler would nail a wolf every time he voted.
I thought that, too but I really don't know what to think of him.

I'm now less convinced that Menel is the bear.

*sigh* Well, I have time. I'll go to do some rereading. At this point I'd believe that I'll cast my vote for Nonnac, Samwise or SpM.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 AM   #370
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have given all the reasons I need to already.

++ The Saucepan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
LMP, making sense? That's funny, by his own admission he's confused the heck out of us. His post of Q and A I don't see as solving anything...especially what he's claimed.
Quote:
:
Since he is doing all he can to discover the Beorning
I really thought my Q&A post had done quite a job of pointing out much of the likelihood that SPM is our Beorning. It's a pity you can't see that. I refer you to an early post of mine (quite early but I don't have the time to go find it) in which I said something to the effect that it was a little odd that SPM was the first one to give us insight into the mind of a Beorning.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:39 AM   #371
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

In a way, I'm glad that some Villagers are starting to suspect me. It leads me to conclude that they are probably not the Bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
I've noticed that others have started wondering, too, why SpM is still alive. Lmp offered some reasons but does SpM have a clue about this matter?
I know why I'm still alive and, because I did not die last Night, I reckon the Bear knows why I'm still alive. It's the same reason that I think the Bear is unlikely to cast suspicion in my direction or vote for me. You'll have to figure it out for yourselves. If you figure it out wrong and end up lynching me, so be it.

Menel votes for Samwise without having previously given him much consideration. That's interesting.

So is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnacedak
I was going to vote for Saucepan but I figured I would let him go for at least one more night.
Don't you mean at least one more Day? Are you confusing your Day-time voting with your Night-time kills?

To my mind, such evidence as we currently have points towards either Menel or Nonna being the Bear. Since Menel has received no votes today, I'll vote for:

++ NONNACEDAK

Edit: Cross-posted with LMP. I didn't see his vote before voting but, even if I had, I would still have voted the same way.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 AM   #372
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
You don't really care. Hmm. That almost sounds like the Cobbler to me, except I doubt the Cobbler would nail a wolf every time he voted. That would be killing your own team completely. And I don't like this new non-chalant attitude we are getting from Non. Since he's not the Cobbler, and I am now coinvinced he is not for the villagers, he must be our Bear.
Why are you so certain that Nonna is not the Cobbler? I know I'm not the Cobbler, and seeing as his claim not to care follows upon my call for the Cobbler to reveal himself, maybe, just maybe, that's as close as we're going to get to an admission. I bet Nonnacedak is the Cobbler.

voting so far:
SamwiseGamgee - 2
The Saucepan Man - 2
LMP - 1
Nonnacedak - 2

votes left: 2
Old 08-22-2005, 03:52 AM   #373
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
I bet Nonnacedak is the Cobbler.
I'm sorry, but that is a ludicrous suggestion. Even a totally inept Cobbler would not have voted for a Wolf on every single Day and played such a major part in their demise.

Oh, and to answer a question that you asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Q3 Why didn't the werewolves kill SPM?

A3.1 They feared he was the Hunter, which is still a possibility (can the Hunter kill the Beorning?).
Yes, the Hunter can kill the Beorning.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #374
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I know why I'm still alive and, because I did not die last Night, I reckon the Bear knows why I'm still alive. It's the same reason that I think the Bear is unlikely to cast suspicion in my direction or vote for me. You'll have to figure it out for yourselves. If you figure it out wrong and end up lynching me, so be it.
Well, I did suggest that in my Q&A post, didn't I?

So with two votes left, I'm willing to offer what support I may by giving SPM the benefit of the doubt.

Those of you who still have to vote, please vote for someone besides SPM.

By the way, according to the rules as stated by Moddwen in her first post, the Cobbler has lost because the Werewolves are all gone.
Quote:
Cobbler: The Cobbler hates his life so badly that he wants the WOLVES to win. He will do anything within his limited power to confuse the Villagers and so ensure a Werewolf victory, including letting himself be lynched. He does not know who the Wolves are. The Cobbler appears to be an innocent villager to the Seer.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 AM   #375
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
I don't have any other choice than vote for Samwise, Nonnacedak or Saucy because I think that we agree that a triple lynching would be rather inconvenient in case Samwise won't appear to cast his vote.

++NONNACEDAK
Old 08-22-2005, 04:37 AM   #376
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

Well, I doubt SamwiseGamgee is going to vote for himself. He might vote for me to get a double lynching, but that would be very suspicious behaviour.

In any event, Nonnacedak will now be lynched.

If it's not him, my next choices would be Meneltarmacil and LMP. I had only (conveniently ) discounted you, LMP, because your absence for most of to-Day suggested that you are probably the Cobbler. Your re-appearance has made me reassess that conclusion.

If Nonnacedak is innocent and I die to-Night, you can probably discount those two. They are unlikely to risk killing me.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:26 AM   #377
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, SpM, your guess is right: I won't vote for myself, and I won't vote for you. Insane as it may sound, for some unknown reason I can't help but trust you. Sure, I've thought it odd that you're still around an all, but that doesn't implicate you as the Beorning. So, sticking with my original suspicions I shall now vote. This could be a great moment of victory or our bleakest failure.

++ Nonnacedak
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #378
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Gone fishin'...

Decided they early that to die would be Nonnacedak, their fisherman. After all...bears eat fish in the winter, right? How did Nonna bring back so many fish so consistently? Yeah, he's a bear alright!

They dragged him down to the lake wherin he kept holes open that he might rip the fish from their watery beds to become meals for the Villagers.

"Well," they said, "As boring and clichéed as it sounds, you're going to sleep with the fishes!"

They forced him down to his knees and his head into a hole, and as his struggles grew less, the flame in their hearts did also.

As he finally went limp, their hearts were as cold as the ice they stood on.

"Oops," they shivered. But then as they pulled the body from the hole, they were somewhat heartened. Latched onto his nose was a fine catch of a fish!

"Maybe it's a way of showing his forgiveness for our mistake," they sniffled. "It's a good sign!"

But as they laid hold of it, the pirhana nearly snapped their fingers off. The Villagers ran screaming back to Hamlet.

Living:

Boromir88
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
Durelin
Gurthang
littlemanpoet
Meneltarmacil
SamwiseGamgee
The Saucepan Man

Dead:

Oddwen (Mod) - Skeletonized by Wolves on NIGHT 1
Mithalwen (Werewolf) - Cheesily lynched on DAY 1
Alcarillo (Villager) - Smashed to bits on NIGHT 2
Mormegil (Villager) - Blown away on NIGHT 2
CaptainofDespair (Ranger) - Innocent blood rejected by nature, received by men on DAY 2
Encaitare (Villager) - Thrown off a cliff by a Bear on NIGHT 3
Firefoot (Sherriff) - Killed by clowns on NIGHT 3
Gil-Galad (Werewolf) - Lynch'ed!! on DAY 3
Arcticstorm (Sherriff) - Touched by a ten foot pole on NIGHT 4
Wilwarin (Villager) - This fine specimen displayed on NIGHT 4
Laitaine (Werewolf) - Boo hoo hoo, Wolves are through. DAY 4
Lalaith (Villager) - Verily and forsooth, she was crushed on NIGHT 5
Nonnacedak (Villager) - Went to sleep with the fishes on DAY 5

'Tis indeed and forsooth NIGHT 6. Will the Seer, Bear and Hunter kindly sent me 1 (one) name each.
DAY will begin in 24 1/6 hours.

Cobbler - sorry, you've already lost. You are free to wreak havoc or get yourself killed, whatever you will.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #379
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Wait...this isn't peach cobbler! It's peach *pie*!

The sixth DAY since the start of these proceedings broke, and the Villagers awoke to a wonderful smell.

"Mmm," they said. "At least Zali...er, LMP doesn't let the recent tragedies get in the way of her...ah, his job."

They wandered to the bakery in hopes of getting free doughnuts, or pastry therof. The door was wide open.

"That's Zaaa-aa...LMP for you!" they said. "Never one to turn away customers!"

Greeting them as they entered was a huge display of jelly filled doughnuts.

"Yay!" they cried, "With sprinkles!" And with great aplomb and ado, they set about consuming the sugary treats.

But after a few bites, the chewing slowed down to a rate of about 2 CPM.

"What kind of jelly is this?" one asked.

"It's not strawberry," cried one.

"It's not raspberry," mumbled one.

"It's not cranberry," muttered one.

"Is it Goldberry?" wondered one.

"It's not gooseberry, or currant or apple or cherry," worried one.

"Is it LMPberry?" screamed one.

Such a spitting was never seen in a bakery before! Retching and yowling, the seven exited the bakery. Some lay on the snow and rolled about in agony, some stood shaking their fists to the wood, but all were extremely ticked off.

"Wait a second," said one. "Why wasn't he made into an LMP cobbler?"

They again entered the Place of Bakes, giving LMP's final resting place(s) a wide berth. But not a cobbler could they find.

Just a note reading:

"She wasn't the Cobbler!"

"Drat!" said they.

-----------------------------

Boromir88
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
Durelin
Gurthang
Meneltarmacil
SamwiseGamgee
The Saucepan Man

Dead:

Oddwen (Mod) - Skeletonized by Wolves on NIGHT 1
Mithalwen (Werewolf) - Cheesily lynched on DAY 1
Alcarillo (Villager) - Smashed to bits on NIGHT 2
Mormegil (Villager) - Blown away on NIGHT 2
CaptainofDespair (Ranger) - Innocent blood rejected by nature, received by men on DAY 2
Encaitare (Villager) - Thrown off a cliff by a Bear on NIGHT 3
Firefoot (Sherriff) - Killed by clowns on NIGHT 3
Gil-Galad (Werewolf) - Lynch'ed!! on DAY 3
Arcticstorm (Sherriff) - Touched by a ten foot pole on NIGHT 4
Wilwarin (Villager) - This fine specimen displayed on NIGHT 4
Laitaine (Werewolf) - Boo hoo hoo, Wolves are through. DAY 4
Lalaith (Villager) - Verily and forsooth, she was crushed on NIGHT 5
Nonnacedak (Villager) - Went to sleep with the fishes on DAY 5
littlemanpoet (Villager) - Baked into doughnuts, with sprinkles on NIGHT 6

Now beginneth DAY 6. Lynch whom you pleaseth.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #380
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye Ye Knighte once againe speaketh

Alright, only seven of us left, with a Beare in our midste. Let's looke at ye voting from yesterDaye:

Voted for Nonnacedak (innocente): Gurthang, Saucepan Man, dancing spawn, SamwiseGamgee

Voted for SamwiseGamgee: Menel, Nonnacedak (innocente),

Voted for Ye Saucepan Man: Durelin, (EDIT: ) LMP (innocente)

Voted for LMP (innocente): Boromir88

It appeareth that after Nonnacedak and myselfe cast early votes for SamwiseGamgee, Gurthang came and started a Nonnacedak bandwagon, whiche I notice Ye Saucepan Man jumped on. I also notice that Saucy was eager for CaptainofDespair's innocente bloode earlier. Coulde he be ye Beare, trying to hide in ye open?

Boromir88 hath not my complete truste either. He goeth after an innocente who, even if he were ye Cobbler, woulde not be able to do us muche harme anyway now that ye Wolves are deade.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 08-23-2005 at 06:58 AM. Reason: I forgot to add that LMP voted for SpM
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #381
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Quote:
Boromir88 hath not my complete truste either. He goeth after an innocente who, even if he were ye Cobbler, woulde not be able to do us muche harme anyway now that ye Wolves are deade.
I call it a set up. If you notice that is the first time I did not vote with the majority. Why, I didn't vote in the majority you'll have to figure out.

I actually think a lot of people are being set up at this point. I've been pondering LMP's post, as to why Sauce hasn't been killed yet. And doing that, I've also pondered why I haven't been killed yet. But, let's look at who the bear has killed...

Night 1- Alcarillo
Night 2- Encaitare
Night 3- Wilwarin
Night 4- Lalaith
Night 5- LMP

As you can see a lot of these people have not left a trail as to who to go after. The bear is being extremely quiet, knowing if he/she kills one of the ones speaking out and talking suspects the village will look at our posts and figure out who it is. So, the bear is killing people that don't talk a lot, or don't give us much to go off of, making it extremely difficult. With that being said I must look at Gurthang, and be interested in what he has to say? As ever since Day 1 we've sort of took his character for granted and haven't asked much from him.

Edit: Since I haven't looked thorougly through LMP's post, perhaps we can find something from LMP's post, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #382
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Alas poor littlemanpoet, I liked his pies (until to-Day, that is. *Urk!*).

But why did the Bear kill him of all people? As he said on numerous occasions, he was a prime suspect - for Cobbler if not Bear. Perhaps the Bear thought that he was the Seer. That seems the most likely reason.

And it's a shame about Nonnacedak, for he served the Village well in rooting out the Wolves. I am sorry for my part in his death.

Oh well, as always, here's yester-Day's voting:

1. Menel for SamwiseGamgee (SamwiseGamgee - 1)
2. Nonnacedak for SamwiseGamgee (SamwiseGamgee – 2)
3. Durelin for SpM (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 1)
4. Boromir88 for LMP (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 1; LMP - 1)
5. Gurthang for Nonnacedak (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 1; LMP – 1; Nonnacedak - 1)
6. LMP for SpM (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 2; LMP – 1; Nonnacedak - 1)
7. SpM for Nonnacedak (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 2; LMP – 1; Nonnacedak - 2)
8. Dancing spawn for Nonnacedak (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 2; LMP – 1; Nonnacedak - 3)
9. SamwiseGamgee for Nonnacedak (SamwiseGamgee – 2; SpM – 2; LMP – 1; Nonnacedak - 4)

A few thoughts occur.

I doubt that those who voted for me are guilty of anything more than Cobblerishness. LMP, as we now know, was innocent (poor chap - that rant was genuine after all ) and Durelin I now suspect as the Cobbler.

Boromir88's vote is interesting. He voted for LMP at a time when LMP had not yet arrived in the Village Hex and seemed a dead cert (to me at least) for Cobbler. Might he be the Bear - trying to avoid suspicion by voting for someone he thought few others would vote for? Then LMP gets pureed. Could it be a set-up, or a bold double-bluff?

And SamwiseGamgee's vote is also worth noting. Unusually, he waited until the last minute to vote. Perhaps any Villager who looks in danger of being lynched would do the same thing. But it may have been the desparate attempt of a Bear doing his best to avoid the noose. He could, of course, have tied Nonnacedak and me for a double lynching, but that would have looked too suspicious.

That said, the Bear could still be any one of you. One thing's for certain. I am not the Bear. I hope that you all realise that and don't go wasting any votes on me today.

Of course, if the Seer dreamed of the Bear last Night, then we are in luck and the Village is saved. If not, then I trust the Seer's judgment to say no more than he or she feels able.

But beware, folks. We probably only have two more Days (three at most) to get this right.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #383
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
As you can see a lot of these people have not left a trail as to who to go after. The bear is being extremely quiet, knowing if he/she kills one of the ones speaking out and talking suspects the village will look at our posts and figure out who it is.
Actually, littlemanpoet was pretty outspoken.

In case it helps, I have reviewed the suspicions voiced by the Bear's victims concerning those of us who remain. This is my own interpretation of their posts, so please feel free to comment if you view it differently.

Alcarillo: Mildy accused Gurthang (Day 1)
Encaitare: No accusations against any of the survivors.
Wilwarin538: Mildly accused Durelin (Day 2)
Lalaith: Voted for Meneltarmacil (Day 1); Mildly accused Boromir88 (as the Bear), dancing spawn, Gurthang and Menel (Day 3).
Littlemanpoet: Voted for Gurthang (Day 1); mildly accused Boromir88 and voted for Durelin (Day 2); suspected Boromir88 and then cleared him, also suspected Durelin (Day 3); voted for dancing spawn and pointed to Meneltarmacil as a possible Bear (Day 4); accused and voted for SpM and then cleared him, maintained suspicion of Meneltarmacil (Day 5).

The name that sticks out for me is Meneltarmacil. He is the Villager that littlemanpoet suspected most after me (and he cleared me before the end). Now, it would be bold of Meneltarmacil to kill one of those accusing him. But perhaps, given all that we have said about it being unlikely that a Bear would do that, he felt that he could get away with it.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #384
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Blck! I've rinsed out my mouth twenty times, and I still can't get that aweful taste from my mouth. To kill LMP is one thing, but to do this to him and us! This is a triply unpleasant morning, indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Boromir88
As you can see a lot of these people have not left a trail as to who to go after. The bear is being extremely quiet, knowing if he/she kills one of the ones speaking out and talking suspects the village will look at our posts and figure out who it is. So, the bear is killing people that don't talk a lot, or don't give us much to go off of, making it extremely difficult. With that being said I must look at Gurthang, and be interested in what he has to say? As ever since Day 1 we've sort of took his character for granted and haven't asked much from him.
I'm not quite sure what your question is. I can understand what you say about the victims being quite, except LMP and Lalaith weren't, but I don't see how that points to me. If you can specify why you are accusing me, I'll try to prove my innocence as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saucepan Man
Boromir88's vote is interesting. He voted for LMP at a time when LMP had not yet arrived in the Village Hex and seemed a dead cert (to me at least) for Cobbler. Might he be the Bear - trying to avoid suspicion by voting for someone he thought few others would vote for? Then LMP gets pureed. Could it be a set-up, or a bold double-bluff?
That's kind of what I was thinking. That would be a bold double-bluff indeed. And with Boromir's mention of reverse-psycology earlier, it just might be crazy enough to pull off.

And speaking of crazy ideas, I've just thought of one, but it requires the cooperation of the Cobbler, and I don't know if that will work out. But here's the idea: if the Cobbler announces himself, then we have a known innocent. If we could organize a *mass lynching* leaving just the cobbler, then the village will win. And if we try to do it, and someone does not cooperate(besides the cobbler), then we will know that that person is the bear.

Now, having said that, I don't know if the Cobbler will go for it, since he's not on our side. But it's a thought.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #385
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
And speaking of crazy ideas, I've just thought of one, but it requires the cooperation of the Cobbler, and I don't know if that will work out. But here's the idea: if the Cobbler announces himself, then we have a known innocent. If we could organize a *mass lynching* leaving just the cobbler, then the village will win. And if we try to do it, and someone does not cooperate(besides the cobbler), then we will know that that person is the bear.
Two problems with that:

1. The Cobbler is unlikely to be cooperative. S/he doesn't care who wins.
2. I am not sure if the Village does win if the Cobbler is the last one left standing.

I hope that everyone will, by now, have realised why it is that I am innocent. I could preside over a mass lynching, but I would be uncomfortable doing so with at least two, and possibly three, Days left to find the Bear. Perhaps we could visit the idea to-Morrow. I might die tonight, but the Bear would be taking a great risk in killing me.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #386
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What I find interesting is that the bear killed the suspected Cobbler. Chances are, the Cobbler is a good innocent to keep alive for the bear, as he may not help the villagers. Though, of course, he may help them a lot. I guess it was a toss up, particularly since it wasn't certain that LMP was the Cobbler.

I still say it's about time we lynched Saucie. Or Boro.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #387
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
2. I am not sure if the Village does win if the Cobbler is the last one left standing.
And what a great victory it would be with all villagers dead...

Let's not panic yet. We still have two gifted among us.

I can't decide what I think of Menel. You know, analyzing every word of other villagers' can make you rather paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel
Gurthang came and started a Nonnacedak bandwagon, whiche I notice Ye Saucepan Man jumped on. I also notice that Saucy was eager for CaptainofDespair's innocente bloode earlier. Coulde he be ye Beare, trying to hide in ye open?

Funny. These are the ones I'm the least worried about right now. Well, except maybe Gurthang. It seems to me that most of us took his innocence as granted after Mithwolfwen voted for him on Day 1. Maybe it would be wise to keep an eye on him.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 08-23-2005 at 10:26 AM. Reason: I just can't write today
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #388
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Durelin, it would be unwise to lynch me, I'll put it that way. As I mentioned earlier I've given clues to why I vote the way I vote, LMP caught on, but I guess few others have. I still recommend you looking why I voted for who I did yesterday, and why I didn't vote for Nonnacedak.

Gurthang, you can say I'm mildly suspicious of you. It's nothing solid. But, Day 1 there were a few suspicions on your words and everyone seemed to have discarded it as you being in character. And that still may be the case, but you've gone unnoticed since Day 1, and the silent people seem to be getting knocked off, merely interested in hearing what you have to say on the matter of how do we get this bear.

And indeed it would be a very bold double bluff to continually vote the way people say a bear would vote, and then offer ideas to how to catch the bear and then do that exact thing. But, believe what you want.

Quote:
Funny. These are the ones I'm the least worried about right now. Well, except maybe Gurthang. It seems to me that most of us took his innocence as granted after Mithwolfwen voted for him on Day 1. Maybe it would be wise to keep an eye on him.
That has been my thinking.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what your question is. I can understand what you say about the victims being quite, except LMP and Lalaith weren't,~Gurthang
Quote:
Actually, littlemanpoet was pretty outspoken.~Saucepan
He was, but as far as compared to the rest of us he was fairly quiet. Though there are a few others that don't mention much (Meneltarmacil and Samwise), but they still give suspects and there thoughts. LMP was more outspoken the last couple days when people began suspecting him, and so far has been the most talkative from the ones to have been killed by the bear.

Lalaith, I didn't see many ideas from. There were some suspicions but I saw mostly from what other fellow villagers were believing.

Quote:
The name that sticks out for me is Meneltarmacil.~Saucepan
I had pointed out the same suspicions yesterday when offering my idea on to how to catch this bear. Though I did back off towards the end of the day, he's still one of my top suspects now.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #389
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I still say it's about time we lynched Saucie. Or Boro.
Any particular reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
Maybe it would be wise to keep an eye on him.
I'm keeping an eye on everyone.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #390
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Sorry to double-post, but there is something I forgot to ask.

Menel, why did you vote yesterday for SamwiseGamgee without having previously mentioned any strong suspicion of him? Prior to that, your "maine suspecte" appears to have been Boromir88. Why the sudden switch?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #391
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
I'm keeping an eye on everyone.
Well, two eyes, then.

Boromir, you are playing dangerous game. But I tend to agree with you.

Right now I'm leaning towards Menel's innocence. Perhaps he was just testing people's reactions with his last post.

My top three suspects are (in no particular order) Durelin, Samwise & Gurthang.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #392
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Oh blast it, I have to actually think this through, don't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucie
Any particular reason?
The bear could easily have killed you before you got the chance to rat him out. Either you're the bear, or you've been completely off on your Bear suspects. You did help both the Village and the bear by getting rid of all the wolves. Boromir seems to work in similar ways, though it is a little too obvious if Boro is the bear, as LMP's death would give him away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Durelin, it would be unwise to lynch me, I'll put it that way. As I mentioned earlier I've given clues to why I vote the way I vote, LMP caught on, but I guess few others have.
Are you suggesting you're the Seer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepan Man
Menel, why did you vote yesterday for SamwiseGamgee without having previously mentioned any strong suspicion of him? Prior to that, your "maine suspecte" appears to have been Boromir88.
Good question.

I also think that we should take a closer look at Dancing Spawn and Gurthang.

I don't trust anyone right now, and certainly not Saucepan Man. I think he's going to get us all lynched...next thing you know, he'll be proclaiming himself the Cobbler.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #393
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Ye main reason that I was suspiciouse of Boromir88 was because he was staying somewhatte sliente, posting juste enoughe to not appeare highly suspiciouse, and I thoughte he was doing so deliberately. My suspiciones lessened when I hearde that he really didn't have a choice aboute it. As for who I thinke ye Beare is, I thinke he/she is probably one of ye ones who voted for Nonnacedak yesterDaye, possibly Gurthang since he started ye bandwagon, or maybe dancing spawn who put Non in ye leade.
(I crosse-posted withe Durelin--I was not juste copying her.)

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 08-23-2005 at 11:22 AM. Reason: saying I cross-posted
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #394
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Either you're the bear, or you've been completely off on your Bear suspects.
The latter. Although I believe that I may now be closing in for the kill ...

Durelin, the only remaining Villager, other than yourself, that you did not throw some suspicion towards in that one post of yours is SamwiseGamgee. Is there any doubt now that you are the Cobbler? I mean, we just have to look at your spectacularly bad (or good, depending upon how we look at it ) voting record with regard to the Wolves.

Menel, you didn't answer my question ...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #395
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
Menel, you didn't answer my question ...
I really didn'te have a lot of leades to go on at that pointe. I had only a fewe minutes lefte before I had to "leave ye village hexagon" and since I was not that suspiciouse of Boromir88, I figured I'd try to vote for someone who stoode a chance of being lynched rather than looking like a hairy beaste and voting suspiciousely or not at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #396
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Durelin, the only remaining Villager, other than yourself, that you did not throw some suspicion towards in that one post of yours is SamwiseGamgee.
Oh...I forgot about him... Sorry, Samwise.

Quote:
Is there any doubt now that you are the Cobbler? I mean, we just have to look at your spectacularly bad (or good, depending upon how we look at it ) voting record with regard to the Wolves.
Now, this is why I wanted to lynch you. Even though I actually still think you might be the bear. Though really I don't care either way. I just want you lynched because you made me lose.

Actually, the wolves lost all by themselves. And there was nothing I could do to stop it. I congratulate you, wolves, for making my life even more miserable! I knew I never should have trusted any canine. And I especially thank Sauciepan Man for his spectacular performance, whether it is sincere innocence or mock. The rest of you are slow on the uptake.

And thus, without further ado...

++Durelin

Who ever told you cats don't wear shoes?!

Shameless EDIT: Saucepan Man is the Hunter, and Boromir88 is the Seer.

Last edited by Durelin; 08-23-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #397
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Interesting. I see two possibilities.

1. Durelin is the Bear and is lying so that we will not kill her.
2. She is the Cobbler and has given us a known innocent.

We now have a choice. We can lynch Durelin to make sure she is not the bear, but that would throw away the advantage of having a known innocent. Or we try to do the multiple lynch and either flush out the bear or lynch it in the proceedings. I think she is the Cobbler. I was suspicious of her towards the beginning(not necassarily of being the cobbler; I'm not as smart as some people. *cough*SosPan*cough*) and I can see that her voting shows that she avoided voting for wolves. Only, since she voted for herself, we can't get a mass lynching, not toDay at least.

Or there is always option three: you could do none of the above and completely ignore my idea like last time I brought it up.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #398
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye <- Sign of the Hunter

Quote:
And I especially thank Sauciepan Man for his spectacular performance, whether it is sincere innocence or mock.
And if indeed you are the Cobbler, may I congratulate you on a game well played, despite the lack of support from your Wolf buddies ...

OK, here's my plan.

If you had not picked up on my numerous (and probably far too heavy handed) hints already, I am the Hunter. If anyone else claims to be the Hunter, they are the Bear and will have lost by doing so. The Bear already knows that I am the Hunter, I am sure of it, so there is no harm in me revealing this now.

Durelin has owned up to being the Cobbler. Of course, there is still a outside chance that she is the Bear playing a last, desparate card. But she is certainly not an innocent Villager. So I suggest that we lynch her today. Then, to-Morrow, we will have at least one known innocent (myself or the Seer, possibly both). We organise a mass lynching of everyone - excluding that one known innocent. The Bear will either vote for an innocent who already has a vote (in which case he will have revealed himself, one innocent dies and there will be two innocents left on the last Day to vote for him), he will play along (in which case he dies) or he will refuse to vote (in which case he dies).

The only drawback is if I unwittingly kill the Seer tonight. It may therefore be worth the Seer owning up now. Either s/he or I will then die tonight, but we still have our known innocent tomorrow, because the Bear can only kill once per Night.

But, before we go any further (and certainly before the Seer reveals him/her-self), please can everyone think about my plan and let me know if they can see any drawbacks or loopholes. I don't think there are, but we must be sure before implementing it.

It's drastic, I know, but I think that it will at least guarantee that the Beorning cannot wreak havoc in any other Villages.

Edit: Cross-posted with Gurthang, who is thinking along similar lines.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #399
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
1. Durelin is the Bear and is lying so that we will not kill her.
I wish! Like I don't expect you bloodthirsty villagers to lynch me either way... Plus I already voted for myself, deary.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #400
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think your idea may be the only way we can do it, Saucepan Man, and I'm going to throw my lot in right away. It's the only way it can be done.

++ Durelin