The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #41
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I agree; Mithalwen's vote of Gurthang seems suspicious to me. While I can see why people might be suspicious of him, I think that he was just playing up his animal rights activist role. Mithalwen's vote doesn't seem like much other than a band-waggoning vote, and voting just because someone posted first doesn't seem fair. In fact, it seems less likely to me that a wolf would post first, not more. Now, I am not by any means saying that Gurthang is innocent; I just think that we need to look at our reasons for voting for people a little more closely.
Quote:
Now that really is a random accusation ..... !!!! I have warned you about eating strong cheese late at night...... How can I defend myself against that? All I can say is that you have been saying the day when you produce gold will be dawning for years ...and it aint getting any lighter is it? Anyone with any sense knows you have to mine for gold... even dwarves know that ..... but no you think you can turn base metal into it without the effort of actually doing some hard work.

Also I might say it is a nice wolf trick to try and point the finger at someone who has announced she has to go imminently and cannot remain to defend herself. Trying to find an easy target to save yourself are you?
Does this defense of Mithalwen's sound a little over-hysterical to anyone else?

Quote:
I'd say it's our primary goal to lynch the bear. As long as there are wolves and a bear around, we lose two good villagers a night (unless they attack each other).
This makes some sense to me. The problem is that the bear will probably have an easier time hiding since s/he, like most others, only know the role of his/herself and will honestly be looking to lynch the wolves. There will be no evidence of teamwork, etc.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #42
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sooth, sooth, forsooth.
I've been reading and mulling over what all my fellow villagers have said and it tells me very little.
But my foresight tells me much - that this is just the beginning. And while we are still many, and most of us are innocents, we are alas unlikely to stumble upon the guilty so soon.
As for our chief suspect of the moment, I do not think it very were-ish behaviour to call attention to oneself so quickly, as Gurthang did. He may be a clever double-bluffing wolf but it would be a big gamble to take so early on.
The hasty voters have also laid themselves open to suspicion but this does not mean necessarily that they ARE suspicious.
I myself will wait a while to cast my vote.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #43
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Originally posted by Mith: Boromir also spoke swiftly.... given that this village has been so peaceful until now, it hasn't given him much in the way of employment opportunities, maybe he has been on a work creation scheme. And how does he know so much about bears...
Believe in what you may my dear Mith...also, I'm sorry but it doesn't take a microbiologist to figure out what bear prints look like.

Well, my Sauce Pan Man, I think it may be that I worded myself wrong. Of course I think we should go on a wolf-hunt, just not a chaotic one that sends masses of people to their wrongful death.

I'm not by anyway near casting my vote. Of course, I have a few suspicions, but I think it's good that we sit back and wait for everyone.

I will say Mithalwen's recent posts have come out to be a bit odd. In her reasoning for voting for Gurthang. Now, I have my own supsicions of Gurthang, but not simply because he posted first. May I ask you this...for the most part your first post makes sense, but there's one little phrase that gets me suspicious in your first post...
Quote:
Maybe if we leave these werewolves alone, they will leave us alone.
I think it's been made quite clear that the wolves don't want to leave us alone, they're here to kill, so I hope this was just a suggestion?...Do you think this is a strategy that we should pursue?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #44
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, well, well, my friends. We are all becoming rather hysterical, aren't we? Can't you see that this is exactly what those foul beasts of destruction want, you fools! We must remain calm, as the man of many saucepans has said.

However, one must remain on one's toes. And so, to Mormegil I turn. Baseless accusations and rantings? This time, child, I shall put those down to rather too long spent in the presence of dangerous fumes, but let it be known: I'm keeping my eyes on you, laddy!

Gurthang, it appears you have explained yourself well, doesn't it. Were it not for a certain development I would be very close to casting my vote for you. But no. I think you are simply a misguided individual, not evil. So, this incident- what is it?

Mithalwen, you call for the death of Gurthang. Why? Your explanations do not wash with me, frankly, and I find your behaviour most suspicious. Are you not, in fact, simply voting for he with most fingers pointed in his direction in order to start a reaction? Yes, you'd like that, wouldn't you? Most suspicious, most suspicious indeed.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #45
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir, it is clear to me now that this village will not leave these werewolves alone. We have started a wolf-hunt, and it will not end until they are dead or we are. Which is what I feared. If it could have been possible to get the wolves to simply stop the killings, it would have saved many innocent lives. Yet now both we as villagers and them as wolves will be killing. Any possibility of a peaceful end is gone.

I must admit that in all my travels and defenses of animals, I've never come across werewolves before. In fact, the only time I've even heard of them was when they had already been destroyed by a village, or they had destroyed the village. I've always liked to be optimistic and believe that they are misunderstood. But according to what SamwiseGamgee says,

Quote:
Origianlly posted by SamwiseGamgee
For most of my life I have toiled and worked to gain a better understanding of Wargs, and in doing so my path has often crossed that of a werewolf- not without a shudder running down my spine I hasten to add. One thing I have learned above all else, and this we must agree upon fellow friends of Hamlet: werewolves ARE NOT people. They are cold, vicious, systematic killers whose sole aim in life is to bring pain, misery and suffering upon all those they come across. The fact that by day they mascarade as friendly villagers cannot be allowed to dim our vision.
it seems that they will not be satisfied with just Oddwen's death.

I want to again stress that we should take our time in this matter. Not to say that we should just sit around and wait for them to kill us, but rather find credible evidence before we make descisions. I have received two quick votes already, the very thing I have been speaking against. Please, take your time before voting.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #46
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
This is terrible. Oddwen always was one of the only ones who was interrested in my research. I will miss her deeply.

At this moment I can't say I am ready to vote for anyone. I will be keeping my eyes on Mithalwen, her vote was strange and I believe Gurthang was just playing his role.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #47
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Regarding Gurthang...

Of those who voted for yon Animal Rights Activiste, I suspecte Mithalwen more than I do LMP, as her so-called "arbitrary" choice looketh a greate deale more like bandwagoning to myselfe. It doth indeede sound like foule play.

Whatever ye case may be, I believe we shouldst watch those who vote for Gurthang by ye ende of this Daye closely. Verily, I tell thee, verily a Wolfe or a Beare or both shall be among them, unless I am mistaken in my reasoning or they are refusing to bandwagon as it woulde cast suspicion upon them.

But as for nowe, I shall waite to vote until later this Daye.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #48
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
My suspicion is also now cast towards Mithalwen. Gurthang is just not suspicious enough for me, and I'm not risking killing off a seer by voting for LMP. Then again, anybody could be the seer, and this could just be a deceitful trick. Mithalwen seems to have drawn too much attention to herself. I am definitely thinking of voting for her, but I'm cautious to do so so early into the day. As with everybody else, I will wait.

Here's my suspicion list:

1. Mithalwen
2. LMP
3. Gurthang
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #49
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Having done some internal discussion, I believe I have come to a satisfactory vote. Gurthang does not seem suspicious any longer. It is too early to tell if it is merely him playing up the role of activist, or the signs of a wolf/bear/cobbler. Being that I was never suspicious of LMP, as random guesses at lynchings seem reasonable on day one, my vote is not swayed that way. Instead, I will cast my vote towards Mithalwen, as her earlier bandwagoning vote seems odd. It could be a possible sign however, that LMP and Mithalwen are both wolves.

++Mithalwen
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #50
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

CoD, your vote is brave. But I must say, I am convinced that you are correct. I was at first loathe to vote so early, but I cannot hold back any longer. I find Mith's behaviour most suspicious, and I have to do it, may Wargy forgive me.

++Mithalwen
Old 08-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #51
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Laitaine has just left Hobbiton.
*taps thighs like a set of bongo drums and sings in D minor*

Oh woeful day within our town, my song cannot express
The fright and sorrow people feel when faced with certain death!
The noble Oddwen had no power against these wolves’ volition,
They tore her skin and slashed her flesh beyond all recognition!
It was no doubt a valiant fight our healer gave the beasts
Unfortunately, not good enough, as she is now deceased!
But friends, let us not mourn too much for our Oddwen’s demise,
We must move on and try to cut these werewolves down to size!

*sighs in beat*

Had not my minstrels perished in a baking accident,
We could perform a funeral march that simply screams “lament.”
But since they’re dead, let’s move ahead and kill off this wolf-scum
And show them that though we may look it, we’re not all that dumb!

I choose to wait and view the votes of others in our group
Though it seems Gurthang or Mithalwen are sure to leave our coop…

*blows mournfully into recorder*

Last edited by Laitaine; 08-13-2005 at 06:36 PM. Reason: bolding the names to stand out in poem
Laitaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:36 PM   #52
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Right now, I am not suspicious of Gurthang in the slightest. Because simply, Gurthang's actions are not those of a wolf, but rather, at the best, just what he claims to be, an ordinary villager/ Animal Rights activest, and at the worst a cobbler. No wolf would say anything to make people a little suspicious of him right off the bat. And if he is the cobbler, right now, he would be the least of our worries, we need to get rid of that bear, and soon. The sooner we can get rid of him and focus solely on the wolves, the more members of our village will stay alive.
Right now, I am most suspicious of Mithalwen, but I am not ready to commit anything yet until I have heared some more evidence.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #53
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well well things are moving rather quickly are they not? We already have 4 votes. I'm surprised that we do and it makes me look seriously at all 4. In particular Captain of Despair and Samwisegamgee and to a lesser degree Mith. Samwise's bandwagoning was odd and I will look at that lad closely for that and for talking down his nose to me...the man who will make this town of rubbish rich, that is if I decide to share my future weath.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #54
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I am still not suspicious enough of anyone yet to vote and it seems, because of time differences, I may not be able to vote at all this Day. Unless I wake early, which I don't think will happen.

I wanted to inform you of that so the lack of a vote from me doesn't come as a surprise.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #55
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmmm.... All these 'thuthpithious' people...

It's interesting to see that we have all focused just on about three people: Gurthang, lmp, Mithalwen. There are many people who have been staying under the radar as of now. Focusing on anyone specific at this point is essentially random accusation followed by some lovely bandwagoning, which could easily get an innocent person killed. Of course, it could also get a wolf or the bear killed, but the law of averages says otherwise, considering that decidedly the majority of us are innocent. At this point, I feel obligated only to not jump on the great bandwagon of doom (cats are very independent, you know), since there is little more I can do. Thus, I must pick at almost complete random: in other words, someone who has done a very good job at posting and simultaneously remaining 'unsuspicious.'

So... Drum roll, please...

++Firefoot

No hard feelings, please. There's nuthin' to go on.

Now time to stalk some shrews, followed by a nice stretch in the dirt, a lovely bath...and then it's bed time for me.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #56
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I think I have waited long enough to vote. Following my previous suspicions, my vote goeth to:

++Mithalwen

Suggestion: If ye Seere findeth ye Beare, he/she mightst want to make sure everybody knowest it. I do not want ye Seere to die, but ye Beare is a major concerne, as pointed oute before.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #57
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Hear Ye Hear Ye, i am sad to report the death of fair Oddwen, any help with the burial shall be greatly appreciated

(i have to read over the past posts before i shall cast my vote for evidence)

Mithalwen:3
Gurthang:2
Firefoot:1

after reviewing the posts, i have decided to cast my vote to

++Gurthang

no hard feelings chap, my reasons have already been said by other people, so instead of wasting time...

Last edited by Gil-Galad; 08-13-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #58
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Durelin, while I agree that a random accusation may get a wolf killed, I disagree in that all accusations need be random today. Let us focus on the facts of the case for a little bit:
1.Oddwen is dead
2. WE have heared from most of the village, have had about two hasty votes, and at least three votes against people because of it.
3. There have not been many leads into the who behind the murders\
4. The nature of wherewolves is that they will not let us be until they have killed us all.
5. While it is bad to lynch an innocent villager, it is even worse to lynch two ro three villagers on the first day, if one of them is guilty, and two innocent, we will still lose some more from our number at night. and then they will be even closer to their goal.
so although I am not 100% sure of the guilt of Mithalwen, it is better to lynch one person on the first day instead of putting two or three in danger. I will go ponder the course of events for a while before actually posting my vote, but right now Mithalwen tops my suspicion list but when I return, I will give you all my final vote. Hopefully by that time I will have more to go on

Today of all days will inspire random voting, but we still need to be wary of them. Unfortunately, our day is over halfway through and we still have not gotten any solid information against anybody. But I think your accusation against firefoot is still unfounded.

But there are more important matters at hand, Where is our illustrious grave-keeper, and why has he not helped us in our search for the truth? Has he not had time enough to prepare Oddwen for buriel and offer his own two cents worth into our debate? Let him come and let us know who he beleives is responsible for this dastardly deed.

edit:disregard my last statement, crossposted with Gil
Old 08-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #59
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Well, this is going to be my last shot of internet access before the day ends, so here comes my thoughts along with a final vote...

Gurthang, was my original biggest suspicion, at one time I felt pretty sure I was going to vote for him. But recently I think he's explained his stance well (atleast for now), and I don't find a good enough reason to vote for Gurthang.

Mithalwen has been the person that seems to be growing in more fame around here, or atleast one of the center of talks as to who is getting it. I just find it difficult to jump on the wagon and vote for someone that is not here to defend themselves and defend their position, no matter how strange their "voting techniques" are. But then again, the lady Oddwen was unable to defend herself. Since we are dealing with some monstrous animals, I'm afraid fairness isn't something that we should focus on so early on. Clearly it seems as even Mithalwen will agree with that
Quote:
..."If you can't be fair, be arbitrary"
There are a few others that have attracted suspicion as well and I don't think it wise to just solely look at Mithalwen and Gurthang (who seem to be the two main talks). I mean mormegil comes out with his random list of the three wolves, which is odd in my eyes, but I wonder if this is just from an odd alchemist or some wolfish trick? And lmp is unable to be here quickly voting, casting his decision, barely before talks started. Now, could this be he just doesn't have the time to be here, or was he quickly trying to start a bandwagon recognizing some people were suspicious of Gurthang?

So, with all that, as difficult as I find to do this, being fair isn't something that I'm concerned with right now. Lives are at stake, and if that means finding the wolves (and bear) who did this, then being "fair" just sometimes doesn't work. I atleast don't think it works early on, it's pretty much a flip, and odds are stacked against us, but action must be taken...

++Mithalwen
Old 08-13-2005, 10:11 PM   #60
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Somebody must go to their death this dreary day, so I am voting for

++Mithalwen

She certainly has attracted a lot of suspicion. Gurthang has lost most of his suspicious-ness in my eyes. He certainly has explained himself, too. His actions don't look very wolfy/beary, either. LMP has only posted once and confused us all with his quick vote. Who knows what he is? Seer, cobbler, whatever. I'm just too puzzled by him. I will keep my eyes on him, though. Mithalwen is the oddest of these three.

As for Mormegil's sudden predictions, they certainly make him a target. At the moment he doesn't worry me too much.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #61
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
I must retire to my shack therefore I must make a decision. Mithalwen seems to me to be the most likely person to get lynched at the moment. I daresay we all have very little evidence to go off but hey there are rules to life we must follow so let the lynching's begin!

++Mithalwen

Anyone who has voted at this point can very easily be wrong or right with so many culprits and so little evidence. Well Im off to dream about the trout!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:30 PM   #62
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Mithalwen Bandwagon

This bandwagon against Mithalwen is moving too fast! If she is innocent, I do not know, we innocents are giving far too much cover for the wolves. People are simply voting for her and saying that their reason is, in essence, because everybody else is doing it she is might suspicious. Admittedly her behavior was a bit odd but to me on this first day that is less telling than somebody's who is ready to vote for somebody based on popular opinion.

So far Mithalwen has gathered 6 votes
CaptainofDespair
Samwisegamgee
Meneltarmacil
Boromir
Alcarillo
Nonnacedak

have voted for her in that order. I would feel fairly confident in saying that if Mith is innocent we have at least one wolf in that pack (pun intended) and if I were to narrow it even further I would choose the following 4 at my top suspects from that small list

Samwisegamgee
Meneltarmacil
Boromir
Alcarillo

and I will add further to my notorious lists and say

Meneltarmacil
Alcarillo

are the most suspect in my opinion.

They have been moderately vocal but haven't said too much. They avoid any risk at all and vote on the easy train where they hope to hide in the large numbers. their votes are critical ones 3 and 5. The 3rd puts Mith in the front and the 5th makes it an uphill battle for Mith to survive.

This vote is possibly a bit random but I feel most strongly (though I do have some doubt of course on this day) that

++Meneltarmacil

is the most likely wolf among my list.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #63
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Sorry for the double....

I would strongly suggest that any true innocent think a bit more before they jump on a bandwagon. This is a very dangerous thing to do on DAY 1. We don't want to give too much cover to these wolves.

Oh and Gurthang is innocent
Old 08-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #64
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Laitaine has just left Hobbiton.
Friends, the day is growing short and votes have flown around
Yet I’ve not seen a single person to be guilty-found.
True, Mithalwen’s accusations are somewhat strange to see,
But she had little time to post and must speak her mind quickly
I myself have little time to post in this debate,
Therefore I understand quite well her cursed time constraint.
Gurthang has already eyebrows raised ‘cuz of his job,
Yet there is little proof to say he leads the werewolf mob.
No doubt we jumped on him because he’s easy to accuse,
I do not want to lynch him just because of his rare views.

At first for me, it was LMP who had earned my suspicion
It seemed his quick vote for Gurthang could be a secret mission.
He voted fast and disappeared, and little proof was said
That Gurthang was the one that our fair village should make dead.
But I recall he couldn’t stay--he had just one chance to vote.
Therefore I waver in my choice and everything I’ve wrote.

It seems to me the likely wolf among us would be smart
(S)he is probably one we’ve been ignoring from the start.
It is the character of wolves to stay out of limelight
Therefore, our choices of Gurthang or Mith hardly seem right.
Since it’s Day One and therefore unclear what we know,
I take a guess at those who look LEAST LIKELY to be foes.
Who here has been somewhat accusing but stays out of blame?
I chance it is the rogue who took Alcarillo for his name.

*wails with grief, burying face in recorder*

If only peace reigned in this town, instead of twisted fear
And we must all vote for someone, even though it seems unclear…

++ALCARILLO
Laitaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #65
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I've been looking over everything that has been said, and I must say I can't make much sense of it. A lot of it seems to be bandwagoning here and there, some around me and some around Mithalwen. I'll agree that she is acting supsicious, yet I am disinclined to vote for her because she claimed a lack of time to post. I'll be keeping her under my eye, though.

Other than that, Durelin's posts have been somewhat confusing and her choice of vote for Firefoot was a bit startling. Mormegil keeps bringing out his lists, and then Boromir, Alcarillo, and Nonnacedak all jumped on the Mith wagon. There seems to be so little to go on, and yet too much at that.

That said, a vote must be made. I will go with:

++Durelin

She makes me the most uneasy and confused, and her vote for Firefoot was based on the fact that Firefoot wasn't suspicious. That seems rather odd to me. It may be true that the wolves are hiding well and looking innocent, but that doesn't mean we should attack those who look innocent just on that hunch.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:35 AM   #66
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

1420! Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
and I will add further to my notorious lists and say

Meneltarmacil
Alcarillo

are the most suspect in my opinion.

They have been moderately vocal but haven't said too much. They avoid any risk at all and vote on the easy train where they hope to hide in the large numbers. their votes are critical ones 3 and 5. The 3rd puts Mith in the front and the 5th makes it an uphill battle for Mith to survive.

You accuse me of being only moderately vocal, but that is simply because I can barely make a definite decision (and who can? It's only day one). I find the evidence against all a bit shaky. I voted for Mithalwen because no others seemed suspicious enough to me. This is only the first day, so we're bound to make a few mistakes as we make shots-in-the-dark before we get real ideas about who is who. And you accuse me of hiding in large numbers, but nobody wants to stick out like a sore thumb, plain for blood-thirsty werewolves and paranoid villagers to see and mistake as a threat. I just don't want to seem like a gifted or a bandwagon-starter (it seems that I might've joined one though!), prime suspects.

I wouldn't put too much concern on vocality. Some people are just more/less vocal than others, those in the middle.

P.S. I'll short change you the next time you buy a drink!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #67
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir
mormegil comes out with his random list of the three wolves, which is odd in my eyes
Morm's accusations cause reactions and reactions are our only clues thus far. I don't say that he's quilty nor that he's innocent. All I know is that his behaviour is reasonable.

Mith said: "It is also possible that LMP is the Seer." I find this odd for two reasons. 1) Why would she want to associate Lmp with the Seer? If she really thinks he is the Seer she should keep it hush-hush. But I think all this is even weirder because 2) I think Lmp is just obviously not the Seer.

Also, as Firefoot pointed out, Mith's self-defense did seem a tad over-hysterical. But would a wolf be so clumsy? We should not underestimate them!

I think Alcarillo's suspect list is odd.
Quote:
1. Mith, 2. Lmp, 3. Gurthang
It seems that many of our villagers think along those same lines. But don't you see, the wolves are probably just hiding on the background waiting for the bandwagoning to begin - it's even possible that since the villagers are doing so fine with throwing their votes for certain "suspicious" people by themselves, the wolves don't have to bandwagon and they can appear as innocents.

Alcarillo's suspects have one thing in common: they have somehow drawn attention to themselves by acting differently than the majority. I think a wolf wouldn't do so on the first day. Not even as a double bluff.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:47 AM   #68
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Apologies to one and all for my extended absence this day. Alcarillo's beer must be stronger than I thought.

Well, much has happened since I spoke last, and I have been musing over all that has been said and done.

The most significant development is that, following initial suspicion against Gurthang and lmp, a significant backlash has developed against Mithalwen.

I must admit that, as I mused upon what has been said, I too felt Mithalwen to be suspicious, even before I saw the bandwaggon against her begin to develop. The fact that it has makes me question my initial conclusion. However, my reasons for suspecting her remain firm. She defended her need to vote early rather too forcefully in my view (in post #26). She also reacted very defensively against mormegil's random accusation (a tactic to elicit reaction, in my view) - compare her reaction (post #30) to that of Firefoot (post #32). And arcticstorm didn't even bother to respond to it. And her vote for Gurthang might be taken as an effort to nurture and develop the (then) bandwaggon against him, which was based on nothing but the fact that he posted first and 'in character'.

So, while I am loathe to join a bandwaggon, I am still minded to vote for Mithalwen. Even if she is innocent, her death may prove to us to be helpful for I believe that mormegil (in post #62) talks sense and that at least one Wolf will (if she is innocent) have voted for her at a decisive stage in the bandwaggoning. His list of those who would be most suspicious in those circumstances makes sense to me too, ie:

Samwisegamgee
Meneltarmacil
Boromir
Alcarillo

Although I would (reluctantly) have to include Firefoot on the list as she was the second to vote for Mithalwen (and quite early too). At least one other Wolf will (if Mithalwen is innocent) probably be amongst those who have voted quite deliberately to avoid the bandwaggon, so as to distance themselves from it.

If Mithalwen is guilty, then we should look carefully at Gil-Galad, who seems to have tried to swing the voting away from Mithalwen and back towards Gurthang, with little more reason than there was to vote for him at the beginning of the Day (post #57).

I also think that we should bear in mind those who have contributed, but said little to aid the Village in our cause (and who might thereby be hoping to 'fly under the radar'). In my view, this list comprises:

CaptainofDespair
Encaitare
Gil-Galad
Laitaine
Lalaith
Meneltarmacil
Nonnacedak
wilwarin538

Of those who have spoken more frequently, I am least suspicious of mormegil, Firefoot (hence my reluctance above) and dancing spawn, largely because their thoughts seem to be along the same lines as mine. That, of course, doesn't make them innocent. But I am less inclined to view them suspiciously at this stage.

The time approaches to vote, and I am probably going to cast mine for Mithalwen for the reasons stated above. But I am conscious of the fact that every vote now for her brings her closer to the point where her death will be certain. I have time, and so will hold off for the time being in case anything further of significance is said.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:58 AM   #69
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand Correction

My apologies to Firefoot - having checked back, I see that she has not yet voted. I mistook her early suspicion of Mithalwen as a vote.

CaptainofDespair was the second to vote for Mithalwen, so (if Mith is innocent) I would add him to morm's list.

Edit: Wrong again! CaptainofDespair was first to vote for Mith. SamwiseGamgee was second!

I really must pay more attention.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 08-14-2005 at 05:02 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:59 AM   #70
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sooth, sooth....while I slept much has happened. Sundays always were strange days.
In our little Hamlet, some of us speak out more than others. This is not an indication of guilt. Also, those that speak more are useful to our initial investigations, be these speakers guilty or innocent. Why, you ask? An innocent speaker is active and will bring forth reaction from others. And if they are eventually found to be guilty, and have said much, we can examine their thoughts retrospectively, while a taciturn wolf leaves a most unrewarding body of evidence behind him.
Nor is quietness an indication of guilt. Even in these dreadful times there may be duties a villager must carry out which keeps them away from this place where are opinions are heard, particularly at what my foresight tells me our descendants will call "a weekend."

Mithalwen and Gurthang are speakers, and for the reasons stated above I would be reluctant to lose them so soon.
Is it too late to save one or the other? Perhaps. But of those who have put forth their reasoning here, I am inclined to agree with Mormegil and dancing spawn. But who to vote for? I am inclined to abstain as I do not like to send what would, under the laws of probability, almost certainly be an innocent to his/her death but this death will happen whether I will it or no and to sit out is the act of a coward.
To cast a vote at this stage for someone who has not yet garnered any votes at all, is also a way of avoiding responsibility, I fear. At the moment, looking after what has been said and done, I suppose it is Captain of Despair who I am most suspicious of, but there is little point casting a vote for him.
So making my choice from those who have already received votes I will cast my vote for
++Meneltarmacil

PS Mr Saucie, I would absolve Laitaine from your Miner's List of the Silent. Composing all one's replies in verse takes time, I suspect!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:22 AM   #71
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

Unfortunately, there is still not much to go on. and with at least two or three, maybe more, who have not yet voted, this day could still go either way. BUt I am convinced that random voting may be needed. But the most important thing right now, is not to allow more than one person to die, with one or two people who may still get tied with Mithalwen in the last hour of voting. Even though I am no way near as suspicious of him as I was originally, I reluctantly must post my vote for

++Mithalwen
Old 08-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #72
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'm about to go to make some glass vases and I don't know if I'm able to come back before the voting is over so I must cast my vote now.

The votes thus far are:

Gurthang
Lmp, Mith, Gil

Mithalwen
Captain, Samwise, Menel, Boromir, Alcarillo, Nonna, Arcticstorm

Firefoot
Durelin

Meneltarmacil
Morm, Lalaith

Alcarillo
Laitaine

Durelin
Gurthang

I think that Mith has acted really suspiciously but I don't think we are dealing with stupid wolves. On the other hand, if she dies, we don't have to ponder her weird acting later. 15 villagers out of 20 have voted. Have all the wolves and bear have voted? If all remaining villagers vote for someone who already has votes, Mith is off the noose [edit: too late]. If not, Mith's going to die or the wolves, bear or cobbler can tip the scales and force a tie (which would be more or less a catastrophe...)

This is somewhat against my own principles but 1) We cannot afford a double lynching 2) At least we have some reasons to suspect her and the voting isn't just random.

++MITH

Someone said once that it isn't bandwagoning if you really think somebody's guilty. Only, I don't find anyone particularly guilty today. But it's not fair either to throw your vote away because you fear that you look suspicious if you vote like the majority.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #73
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

Well, nightfall approaches and not much more has been said to aid me in my deliberations. Although I agree with arcticstorm and dancing spawn that we must not allow a tie to occur in the voting today.

So I will go with my current suspicion (reasons stated above) and vote for Mithalwen. Although I believe that this vote will seal her fate, so be it. I have little reason to vote for anyone else at this stage. I hope that she is guilty. But, if not, maybe her death will serve to aid our cause.

If she is guilty then it seems quite likely that no Wolves were amongst those who voted for her, at least earlier on, because the voting has been quite tight all the way through.

But if she is innocent, then I believe that at least one Wolf and quite possibly the Black Beorning too were amongst those who voted for her.

Since I completely fudged the analysis of those who voted for Mithalwen earlier, here is an updated (and hopefully accurate) list - in order of voting plus the state of voting following each vote:

1. CaptainofDespair (Gurthang -2; Mithalwen - 1)
2. SamwiseGamgee (Gurthang -2; Mithalwen - 2)
3. Meneltarmacil (Gurthang -2; Mithalwen - 3; Firefoot - 1)
4. Boromir88 (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 4; Firefoot - 1)
5. Alcarillo (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 5; Firefoot - 1)
6. Nonnacedak (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 6; Firefoot - 1)
7. arcticstorm (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 7; Firefoot - 1; Meneltarmacil - 2; Alcarillo - 1; Durelin - 1)
8. dancing spawn (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 8; Firefoot - 1; Meneltarmacil - 2; Alcarillo - 1; Durelin - 1)
9. The Saucepan Man (Gurthang -3; Mithalwen - 9; Firefoot - 1; Meneltarmacil - 2; Alcarillo - 1; Durelin - 1)

Hopefully this list will aid us in the unfortunate event that Mithalwen is innocent.

Either way, at least, the wolf-hunt continues ...
Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #74
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Oops, fogot to vote ...

++ MITHALWEN
Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #75
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well, by my understanding the voting looks like this:

Mith: 9
Gurthang: 2
Meneltarmacil: 2
Firefoot: 1
Alcarillo: 1
Durelin: 1

Most interesting. It does seem that the campaign against Mithalwen is gathering a head of steam, doesn't it- surely this hasn't been aided by the silence of said individual over such a period of time.

So, mormegil, it would appear you are viewing me with suspicion. I am no bangwaggoner (?), let me tell you. I voted for Mith because (1) I didn't think I'd be online again before day ended and (2) with that in mind, on the balance of probabilities I thought Mith the most suspicious. Now, however, my mind is in turmoil. I wonder if in fact you, mormegil are one of those nocturnal blood-letters. Random patterns of accusation and a predisposition to making good looking lists may seem the innocent work of a bumbling alchemist, but I'm not so sure. Alas, I have cast my vote and so little can be done. Nonetheless, my voice should be heard.

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 08-14-2005 at 05:38 AM. Reason: New votes
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 AM   #76
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Overnight Mithalwen seems to have gathered enough votes that mine doesn't really count, but here's what I think about each person who has gathered votes:

Gurthang - Not very suspicious; I think he was just playing his role.

Mithalwen - I have found her suspicious almost from the start. I'm afraid she isn't a wolf, but I think she could be. She has given more reasons for us to vote for her than anyone else; my only fear in lynching her is that she could be gifted and she hasn't been able to defend herself.

Firefoot - I'm not suspicious of myself.

Meneltarmacil - I'm semi-suspicious of him. His posts have been short and contributed little; he joined the bandwaggon for Mithalwen. He could be a wolf trying to slip in under the radar.

Alcarillo - I've had a niggling suspicion of him from the start for no reason at all. He's saying the right things, and it's probably nothing. Nothing that I'd lynch him for, anyway.

Durelin - Her vote for me was... odd. I don't particularly suspect her, though, as she had to vote early and hadn't had time to gather evidence on anyone.

I think that Morm's list of Samwise, Menel, Boromir, and Alcarillo may have some merit, though I am not very suspicious of Boromir at this point.

++Mithalwen

Even though I hate band-waggoning, I think she may be the most likely suspect that we have at the moment, and her death could be telling.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 AM   #77
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

SamwiseGamgee - your list is correct save that I believe that Gurthang attracted 3 votes (lmp, Mithalwen and Gil-Galad).

Having recalculated, I see that it was dancing spawn's vote and not mine that sealed Mith's fate. Ah well, I voted believing that it was down to me and I will not be shirking my responsibility for participating in her death (whether she be guilty or innocent) simply because it was not.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #78
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall be lynched

And so all at once it was decided. Mithalwen, who was always so generous with her excellent cheeses, would be the first to be lynched.

"I hope the rest of the Village realizes the sacrifices they're making," muttered Mith. "Sacrificing cheese for revenge..."

Saucie looked dismayed. "Aye, I did enjoy the ale and cheese tasting."

But die Mith must, the why had been told, how was now the big question.
After deliberation, they rigged up a gallows not far up the mountain out of an old tree that had somehow grown with a bend as if it had forseen the use o't.

"Well Mith, if you are innocent, no hard feelings, eh?"

Mith levelled her steelly glare at the speaker.

"You're all cheddar heads, you know? Out of all the Villagers you had to choose me."

"I think it was a "gouda" choice," muttered one. "Get it? Gouda...ah, never mind."

One moved closer to place the rope around Miths neck. With a snarl, Mith exploded!

The Villagers gasped in horror at the transformation! Eyes they had thought so kindly before went blood red and fairly glowed. Hands previously so genarous with cheese clawed the air as if to shred it to bits, and ears once thought shapely, well-rounded and shell-white went pointy and...hairy.

As one man, crying "You Meunster!" the Villagers forced the rope over Mith's neck, and pulled the stepstool from underneath her.

Mith tried to shout curses at her executors, but all that came out were strangled growls. Her struggles grew less, and with a not-at-all-called-for obscene gesture at the crowd, the body suddenly went limp and dead.

The Villagers immediately started an impromptu square dance, accompanied by Laitaine who played in a key that was not minor.

They had killed a Werewolf, and on the first DAY no less!

Living:

Alcarillo
Arcticstorm
littlemanpoet
Boromir88
CaptainofDespair
Dancing Spawn
Durelin
Enca
Firefoot
Gil-Galad
Gurthang
Laitaine
Lalaith
Menel
Mormegil
Nonnacedak
SamwiseGamgee
Saucie
Wilwa

Dead:
Mithalwen (Werewolf) Lynched by Villagers on DAY 1

This is precidented! And unexpected!
DAY one is ended, it is now NIGHT two. Wolves may PM, Sherriffs may not.
I need names from the remaining Wolves, the WereBear, the Ranger, the Hunter, and the Seer.

Last edited by Oddwen; 08-14-2005 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Paragraphing...and how could I misspell "Seer"??
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:01 AM   #79
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hard to bear...

The Villagers awoke suddenly the next morning. What was that sound that just occured? A pop, a crackle, a snap? Then came another noise - an earth-shattering ear-splitting heart-rending mind-bending toe-tapping eye-batting atogether bad-sounding crash.

Hastily, they threw on what clothes they could reach, and assembled in the Village Square, which was actually hexagon in shape, but that doesn't come into this tale.

What was that smell that did have a part in the tale, which was told met their nostrils? That of ale and beer and wine? Had Saucie belched? Nay, he vehemently denied that. Then, a horror caught their eye. The bar...the Ugly Duckling...was it gone?!?

They started towards it, but many cast themselves the ground and wept, unable to go on. Few ended up at the wreck, and those that did were sore tempted to weep also. There were bear tracks everywhere. Bear hair was caught on splinters of wood, a tree nearby was scored fourteen feet high with claw marks, and the mangled body of poor Alcarillo was coated with beer and bear saliva.

Such a wailing had never visited Hamlet, and it seemed as if it would never end. They treated the body of Alcarillo with the respect you'd expect for a bartender, and debated what to do with the ex-bar.

They were arguing wether it was best to set the ruins on fire, when suddenly they noticed that the voice of their alchemist hadn't spoken up on the chemical danger yet. Horrified, they counted what Villagers were left. Yes...they were only seventeen.

There was a mad rush to his house, which fortunately was still standing. A hope unlooked for sprung into their hearts.
"Maybe he slept through that!" they said to themselves. After all, Mormegil was slightly deaf from many so-called "Controlled Volatile Experiments". "Yeah, after all, The Mormegil cannot be slain, save by mischance, or an evil arrow from afar."

Knowing this, they passed on knocking and went straight inside. There he was, lying in his bed, covers pulled all the way up so his feet stuck out.

Funny, they thought, we don't remember him having red sheets....red? Uh-oh.

Fearing the worst, they pulled the covers back. Seeing the worst, they jumped back.

Morm's head was almost completely blown away. They noticed then a strange burnt smell in the air, which they had at first taken as some experiment gone awry. The walls and ceiling were spattered with blood, which spoke of a explosion.

Apparently, the Wolves had stuck firecrackers in Morm's (always the heavy sleeper) ears, and set them alight.

Pinned to the bedstead, they found a note reading thusly:

Morm go BOOM!

"They didn't bother to rhyme," they said in relief. Then they turned the paper over.

So will this ROOM!

Screaming, they exited the building (fortunately avoiding a jam in the doorjamb) and hurled themselves to the ground as the building exploded in colored flames behind them.
So began another DAY.

-------------------------

Living:

Arcticstorm
Boromir88
CaptainofDespair
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant
Durelin
Encaitare
Firefoot
Gil-Galad
Gurthang
Laitaine
Lalaith
littlemanpoet
Meneltarmacil
Nonnacedak
SamwiseGamgee
The Saucepan Man
Wilwa

Dead:

Oddwen (Mod) - Skeletonized by Wolves on NIGHT 1
Chicken (Poultry) - Crushed by a bear on NIGHT 1
Mithalwen (Werewolf) - Cheesily lynched on DAY 1
Alcarillo (Villager) - Smashed to bits on NIGHT 2
Mormegil (Villager) - Blown away on NIGHT 2

DAY 2 will end in 24 hours. Wolves, stop PMing, Sherriffs may start.
Please embolden your votes.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 AM   #80
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Alas poor Alcarillo and mormegil. And alas poor Alcarillo's bar. I knew it intimately.

Unfortunately, they were both likely suspects to die since it was evident from yesterday's proceedings that they were most probably innocent - of Werewolvery at least. Mormegil's "random" accusation of Mithalwen helped to flush her out and Alcarillo's vote was one of the decisive moments of the "bandwaggon" against her. I salute them both posthumously for their important roles in our good fortune on DAY 1.

And fortunate indeed it is that Mithalwen turned out to be a Wolf. Not only because we now have one less of the fiends to deal with, but also because over half of the remaining Villagers voted for her and the voting was tight throughout most of the Day.

More in a moment when I have sorted my thoughts ...