The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #441
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nilp...I am quite lost in admiration...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #442
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
It's so easy for you to say since you weren't in the game!
It's easy to say because, as a loudmouth myself, I speak from bitter experience.

I have to say that all this talk of prior reputations and playing and posting styles leaves me rather cold. When you play Werewolf, you have to take your fellow players as you find them. It's not meant to be easy. If the Wolf is someone who plays in such a way as to avoid suspicion, then he or she cannot be criticised for doing so. Surely that is the point of being a Wolf. It is up to the innocents to discover the Wolf and, where necessary, challenge preconceptions or seemingly innocent behaviour in order to do so.

Similarly, if you are playing with those whose posting styles differs from your own, then you have to accept that and get on with it. Everyone has a different manner of playing - quiet, medium, loud, provocative, mysterious, analytical, intuitive, and so on. It would be rather dull if it were any different. No one is under any obligation to post in a particular way - subject to the mod's game rules and the forum gudielines, people can play the way that suits them best in whatever role they have been allocated.

Prior reputations can work both ways. It seems to me, for example, that Eomer is always suspected due to his fine work as a Wolf in the past. Nilp has been lynched early on in the past due to his suicidal Day 1 behaviour. I myself get incredibly frustrated whenever I hear the refrain: "If Saucepan is still alive by Day 3, then I will be looking closely at him". But I accept it as an inevitable part of the game. It is something that experienced players have to put up with, and I see no problem with people trying to redress the balance and use prior reputation to their advantage. What is fair game against them is fair game in their favour, to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Ah, the art of dealing with other people! We're all so annoying, ain't we?
Yes, and it ain't gonna change. Everyone's different and has a different approach to the game. It's part and parcel of playing Werewolf. And for me, it's a large part of the fun of it.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #443
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I will admit Rune that whether it be in WW (or simply posting on other threads) my posts do reach at times unnecessary lengths because of repitition...even within the same posts. I attempt to cut down the repetition, but sometimes I get caught up and feel like hammering my point into everyone's head...you know me. Sincerely though, I will try harder to cut down repeating myself in the very same post which should cut it down a bit, but can't make any promises.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #444
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I will admit Rune that whether it be in WW (or simply posting on other threads) my posts do reach at times unnecessary lengths because of repitition...even within the same posts. I attempt to cut down the repetition, but sometimes I get caught up and feel like hammering my point into everyone's head...you know me.
Oh my, just my words too!
Happily on the next one you will not have me flooding the thread during the Days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spm
Similarly, if you are playing with those whose posting styles differs from your own, then you have to accept that and get on with it. Everyone has a different manner of playing - quiet, medium, loud, provocative, mysterious, analytical, intuitive, and so on. It would be rather dull if it were any different.
Also fully agreed! And what comes to all these preconceptions: it's not been just one time I have heard myself being suspected because I'm not "taking a lead" or not theorising enough... when it most obviously is a question of there being no fancy ideas in my head right then or being short of time at one point of the game. Sometimes it's hard to live up to the expectations, other times it's a great fun to take advantage of them! I think most of us have felt both of these sentiments. And that makes this game such a fun!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #445
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
hehe thanks for not just shooting me down, Boro. . . . one last thing I forgot to mention.

I also think that the games used to be a bit more dynamic when I first started playin in WWJ (the very first) and yeah I just don't want them to go static.

But I shall leave the subject now, as I have said my piece.

Once again: This turned out to be a great game and I totaly digged the theme music.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #446
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I still have to "spread some rep around" but I think this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read! Thank goodness that Oddwen didn't allow mass-lynchings!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #447
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
I think this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read!
I truly agree with this! I almost laughed aloud while reading it alone by my PC...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #448
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aw, thank you, Holby, Noggy! I'm glad to be of service if my service renders laughter.

Loved the game, and the parts where I got to be silly, as usual...though, as I told Oddwen when I first got my role assignment: that's another ten years off my life. The Seer is a very stressful position!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #449
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
as I told Oddwen when I first got my role assignment: that's another ten years off my life. The Seer is a very stressful position!
Let's see how the cards treat you the next time...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #450
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Let's see how the cards treat you the next time...
I'll keep watch on her then...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote