The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Admin Thread--Tol-in-Gaurhoth XLIX - At the Source of Darkness

Quote:
But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor?

~Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Long has this mystery martyred the minds of the wise of Middle-earth. How shall we, they asked, undo the harms and evils done to this world by the hands of Morgoth? How shall we mend what we do not understand in depth? Will we not be able to alleviate the dark curse of hatred that lies upon the Peoples of the Orcs? Shall they not be brought into the light and the love of Ilúvatar again? Shall we not try and heal some of the marring inflicted on Arda, and thus on each of us?

Thus they thought, but their wishes and longings were all in vain, for nobody knew where to look for that accursed land that they called Udűn, or Utumno, in the tongue of the High-Elves, save that it lay in the cold of the far north. But at last their hopes were fulfilled, when one day in the Forth Age of the Sun Macalaure and Rikae, Rangers of the (Far) North, who ventured far in hostile lands, found the remains of the old dark fortress that was once overthrown by the Mighty of the West. News spread to the loremen of the free peoples of Middle-earth, and eagerly they gathered and quickly took the decision to venture to the north, too, and descend into the darkness of Utumno, keen to learn of what they knew little.

And little they knew indeed.

The Cast:

2 wolves (3 if the village ends up being larger)
3 cobblers (4 if the village ends up being larger)
1 seer (can only see wolves and the assassin; cobblers appear innocent)
1 cobbler assassin (gets the chance to kill a cobbler each night, innocents or wolves are left unharmed - the idea behind this role is to force the cobblers to be more subtle)
x innocent villagers

Various:

No multiple lynchings (last to reach the final vote count will be lynched)
No retractions
Deadline 8pm GMT

Occupations:

Please pick yourself an occupation suitable for a Fourth Age loreman, scientist, sorcerer, explorer, adventurer, treasure-seeker, etc.

List of Players:

Feanor of the Peredhil - visionary whose visions lean toward the abstract
Shastanis Althreduin - loner roane
Formendacil - snowbird
Kitanna - phantom's business partner
Eönwë - seller of pointless fakes
Nerwen - treasure-seeker
Kath - unemployed bum
Nilpaurion Felagund - aged tale-seeker
Durelin - eccentric, misanthropic archaeologist
Brinniel - junk collector
Gwathagor - warrior librarian
Nogrod - pointless philosopher
Lalaith - absent-minded professor
A Little Green - blind astronomer who sells stars at the stock exchange
the phantom - obtainer of rare antiquities
Thinlómien - marine zoologist
Groin Redbeard - dwarven miner
Mithalwen - factotum

Last edited by Macalaure; 08-18-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am interested in joining your game, Mac.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Please can I join this game of "dark" proportions.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Any idea when this would start... or is that utterly subject to the speed with which players join up?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in, please. I'll be a treasure-seeker.

Last edited by Nerwen; 07-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm in. Minus the question mark.

Oh, and--

I would like to be a visionary whose visions lean toward the abstract...

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-24-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would like to enter myself with a question mark depending on when the game will start. If it begins before August 9th count me out, if after then count me in. I'm away til then so have no guilt over kicking me off the list if it does start before.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

I'm in!

I shall be an aged tale-seeker. (I roam around collecting tales and legends of Men.)

8pm GMT though, that'll be 4am here. Ah well, back to normal for me.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Welcome on board everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Any idea when this would start... or is that utterly subject to the speed with which players join up?
There's no fixed date, but I would guess some time late next week. Of course it does largely depend on the signup speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
If it begins before August 9th count me out, if after then count me in.
You're in with a question mark, but I think it's unlikely we will start that late. Well, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
8pm GMT though, that'll be 4am here.
A later deadline is not possible, since both Rikae and me have to be able to write a decent narration at the time (it's 10pm for me). An earlier deadline might be possible, if the majority likes it better, but I have to ask Rikae first.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Quote:
A later deadline is not possible, since both Rikae and me have to be able to write a decent narration at the time (it's 10pm for me). An earlier deadline might be possible, if the majority likes it better, but I have to ask Rikae first. (Mac)
Oh, I'm not really asking for a deadline change, I'm used to being unobtrusive and voting early and all that jazz, after all.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'd love to play but I'd better not. Going back to Scotland for the first time in months next week and won't be able to devote the time to the game. I'll be reading though -- voting for people in spirit.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thought I was going to take a break, but a game with cobblers is way too tempting. Sign me up, please!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Your friendly neighborhood co-mod* just popping in with a question.
It seems there are quite a few people who would like the game to start later (here and on the main WW thread). Mac & I also wouldn't mind a little extra time to prepare the game, so I was wondering - how would everyone feel about starting in about two weeks rather than one?

*Actually, I'm the "bad cop" who is going to be doing the modkills Mac is too lenient to do himself.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Your friendly neighborhood co-mod* just popping in with a question.
It seems there are quite a few people who would like the game to start later (here and on the main WW thread). Mac & I also wouldn't mind a little extra time to prepare the game, so I was wondering - how would everyone feel about starting in about two weeks rather than one?

*Actually, I'm the "bad cop" who is going to be doing the modkills Mac is too lenient to do himself.

Two weeks would be lovely, Madam Moddess.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe

Aganzir (who is with Nogrod, Lommy, and Greenie doing something distinctly Finnish) told me this:

Quote:
wwing depends on when the game starts for we will all be rather busy until, hmm, the 10th of August.
And I realised belatedly that the defence of my thesis topic will happen on the 12th . . . so a delayed start would be nice.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm yet another advocate of a delayed start.

I was wanting to join the game, but hesitated since I'll be out of town at a wedding on the weekend of August 7-10. But if you don't start until around the 10th, that'd be awesome.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #17
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'd like to be a sorcerer of the sea.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'd love to play. I'm going to be at the seaside for a few days the week after next, but if my schedule works out, I'm in.

EDIT: I believe that puts me in the delayed start camp.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 07-26-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think the delayed start would also fit Legate and Rune - if they would wish to play in the first instance - as they will be here as our guests in the middle of a forest up to the 9th of August...

But if the game actually begins only around the 10th I could be joining as well...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Alright, let's delay the thing until mid-August. I'm putting everybody who favoured that date into the player list.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Good for me, put me in, but still with a question mark. If I'm not too tired, I'll play.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 AM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hmm, while I would certainly like to join, even after I return from Finland I have still holidays and will be away for about a week, so I probably couldn't play even then But I will at least watch you when I return - and after that, I'll be back with renewed strength! Beware!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #23
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, well when you say mid-August, if its after the 14th I'm in, if not then I'm out.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #24
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

All those silent watchers are starting to make me nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
Ok, well when you say mid-August, if its after the 14th I'm in, if not then I'm out.
Then you're in. We're roughly planning on the 15th or 16th to start.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Woo! That's perfect for me, although as is probably obvious I have just discovered that I can manage small bouts of internet access. I doubt it would have been enough to carry on a game of werewolf though so I am very pleased with this change of date.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #26
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Oooh I'm in I'm in!! This looks definitely like I game I don't want to miss!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
For my own delightfully mischievous reasons, I vote late start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
All those silent watchers are starting to make me nervous.
Just wait 'til I get talking and you'll understand real nerves... Then again, we've been wolves together and those last four minutes? Wow.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hmmmm? When did I join this game? *looks puzzled*

Much as I'd like to, I really need a break from WW, and the DL doesn't work at all with my work schedule. Sorry all.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

So long as you do not begin before August 13th, I can probably manage to spend a bit of time Werewolfing.

You're playing this game, Fea? What a lovely surprise.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #30
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Ah, sorry... I interpreted what you said on the main WW thread the wrong way and thought you'd want to join if the game starts mid-August.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #31
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Can I change my job description?

I'd like to be a loner selkie.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #32
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
the phantom is in as well...

My occupation will be a pointless philosopher
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #33
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well if you are all so sweet as to start so late, then you can remove the question-mark, Mac. I feel a bit anxious about all these cobblers but hey...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I guess our mods just couldn't imagine WW without you...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #35
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

*nudge*

Play time?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #36
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
We're working on it! A couple more days, I'd say ....
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #37
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #38
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ai ai ai.

This looks like something I wouldn't want to miss.

But.

I really have other ( = school) things to do.

So if I sign in I might be more silent than usually. Please add me to the list with a question mark - I still need to think. When exactly are we starting?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Glad to have you on board, even if it's just with a question mark.

We plan on starting end of the week, the 15th or 16th.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #40
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think I also told Nilp I wouldn't have time to play even later...

I would like to, the idea sounds interesting, and with all these players in, but I really don't have enough time to dedicate for wwing now that I must be studying for the matriculation exams in addition to normal schoolwork.

Have fun anyway.