The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Elves and Gondor

Recently I started a thread about "Elves and Dunland" which elicited a number of interesting thoughts.

In the same vein, what about contacts between Elves and Gondor at the time of the War of the Ring ? At the Henneth Annun refuge Faramir, speaking about Gondor, told Frodo and Sam : "Yet there are still among us those who have dealings with the Elves when they may".

Any ideas on what kind of "dealings" they would have been and which Elves were involved ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A very interesting quote. I find the full passage even more intriguing.

Quote:
Yet there are among us still some who have dealings with the Elves when they may, and ever and anon one will go in secret to Lórien, seldom to return.
That alone leads me to believe that whatever contact the Gondorians had with elves was with the inhabitants of Lórien, who were the nearest geographically. There's also this from Haldir:

Quote:
But there are some of us still who go abroad for the gathering of news and the watching of our enemies, and they speak the languages of other lands. I am one: Haldir is my name.
Haldir spoke the Common Speech to the Fellowship, which he would need to be fluent in if he dealt with Men, specifically the Beornings, the Men of Dale, and the Gondorians.
So, he and other elves of Lórien occasionally set out to learn what was going on in the world, and logically some of their contacts could have been with the Men of Gondor. Cair Andros, Anórien and around the Emyn Muil would appear to be possible meeting places

Faramir's words are a bit harder to read. He doesn't say if those who went actually made it to Lórien or not. I can't see someone like Denethor sending his people there, even for counsel; so those who would set out were probably doing it on their own, maybe out of a simple desire to see if things as legendary as Lothlórien and the White Lady really existed.
Perhaps those who went in search of it either were killed in the wild by various means, or were stopped from entering the Wood by Galadriel's power and turned back home.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think that Inziladun already mentioned most of the important things, there seems to have been a two-way relationship here with both races trying to make contact with the other for whatever reasons.

The only thing that could perhaps be added is the idea that Men of Gondor and Elves of Lórien could also come into contact when the latter sailed down the Anduin to the Sea, or passed through Gondor and built a ship on the shores of the Sea.
Now the ship that should have carried Amroth appears to be the last one from that area before Legolas' ship, but we do know that other Elves must have passed over the Sea, for example Mithrellas, the wife of Imrazor the Numenorean, who most likely longed to pass over the Sea herself. Since we learn nothing else about here it is safe to assume that together with others she sailed as well.
As such, it makes sense that other Elves of Lórien may have done the same during Faramir's lifetime.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
While it would be a considerable journey, you would think
that peoples around Dol Amroth would have an especial
interest in their elf heritage and occasionally go on trips
north, either east or west around the White Mountains.
If Legolas could detect elvish ancestry in them then might
not Lorien wardens do so at least as quickly?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
While it would be a considerable journey, you would think
that peoples around Dol Amroth would have an especial
interest in their elf heritage and occasionally go on trips
north, either east or west around the White Mountains.
One would think so, but it doesn't seem they did.

Quote:
'Hail, lord!' [Legolas] said. 'It is long since the people of Nimrodel left the woodlands of Lórien, and yet still one may see that not all sailed from Amroth's haven west over water.'
'So it is said in the lore of my land,' said the Prince [Imrahil]; 'yet never has one of the fair folk been seen there for years beyond count.'
ROTK The Last Debate

If Imrahil's people had been in contact with elves, I'd think his words to Legolas would have been different.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
A very interesting quote. I find the full passage even more intriguing.
It indeed is! Actually, quite surprising, and it makes me think that I should really try to get myself to re-read all of the LotR again and properly, because I haven't managed to do so for some time now and things like this surprise me! Actually, this quote looks almost fantastic - it looks so strange, so un-Middle-Earthish. Generally, I contribute all ideas of such inter-racial contact by the end of TA only to fanfictions and RPGs where people desperately want to introduce several races at once and so come up with tales of a lonely Gondorian wandering to Lórien or about an Elven scout going to Gondor, but obviously this quote from the very book moves the idea from the realm of pure fiction into, so to say, "canonical reality".

Personally, I believe the idea about people like Haldir going to Gondor makes lot of sense in the light of this. Also, I think we can imagine some Elf-obsessed Gondorians wandering North. The only thing I would argue against is this:
Quote:
Perhaps those who went in search of it either were killed in the wild by various means, or were stopped from entering the Wood by Galadriel's power and turned back home.
I think this is actually a very limited view. I actually believe there will be a large portion of people who would just go into the forest... and disappear. Lórien is a dangerous place, place of "Elven magic", and I think that with many people it could indeed turn so that they enter the woods and then spend the rest of their life with sitting in a glade, gazing at the sun and literally losing themselves in the spell of Lórien. This is the way, I believe, in which Lórien would be protected against intruders - they would not go further into the woods, they would not reach Caras Galadhon, but they will be enchanted and simply remain there. Remember Bombur and the forest river. Isn't this the dangerous Elvish magic which made Elven woods so feared in the tales of Men?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I actually believe there will be a large portion of people who would just go into the forest... and disappear. Lórien is a dangerous place, place of "Elven magic", and I think that with many people it could indeed turn so that they enter the woods and then spend the rest of their life with sitting in a glade, gazing at the sun and literally losing themselves in the spell of Lórien. This is the way, I believe, in which Lórien would be protected against intruders - they would not go further into the woods, they would not reach Caras Galadhon, but they will be enchanted and simply remain there. Remember Bombur and the forest river. Isn't this the dangerous Elvish magic which made Elven woods so feared in the tales of Men?
In that case, would Faramir saying they 'seldom returned' mean those who did come back simply didn't make it to Lórien, or that they somehow were immune to the effect? Come to think of it, if most who arrived uninvited to Lórien simply dreamt the rest of their lives away, why were Haldir, Rumil, and Oropher so concerned about the orcs who crossed Nimrodel in pursuit of the Fellowship? Wouldn't it be a simple matter of hiding and letting them come under the spell, if that was Lórien's primary defense?

Last edited by Inziladun; 08-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
In that case, would Faramir saying they 'seldom returned' mean those who did come back simply didn't make it to Lórien, or that they somehow were immune to the effect? Come to think of it, if most who arrived uninvited to Lórien simply dreamt the rest of their lives away, why were Haldir, Rumil, and Oropher so concerned about the orcs who crossed Nimrodel in pursuit of the Fellowship? Wouldn't it be a simple matter of hiding and letting them come under the spell, if that was Lórien's primary defense?
But of course you deal differently with one or two wandering Men and a warband of pursuing Orcs. Lórien had various means of defense, and each of them worked best in certain way on certain cases (and above all of that there was Galadriel's Ring).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

This is fascinating. Melian enchanted Thingol (stood together with him, tis true) for years while the Teleri wandered in search of him; she protected Thingol's realm with her "girdle" of enchantment; Beren was, if I recall correctly, *allowed* through because Melian realized he had a great doom on him, otherwise he would have been bewidlered on the borders?

How creepy, to wander the borders of Lorien and meet enchanted mortals gazing into the treetops, hair and beard grown long and wild... Brrr.

A very fey interpretation, and good thinking.

--mark12_30
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
How creepy, to wander the borders of Lorien and meet enchanted mortals gazing into the treetops, hair and beard grown long and wild... Brrr.
At least some, however, apparently escaped that fate, according to men of different countries. Boromir:

Quote:
'And now we must enter the Golden Wood, you say. But of that perilous land we have heard in Gondor, and it is said that few come out who once go in; and of that few none have escaped unscathed.'
FOTR Lothlórien

And Éomer:

Quote:
'Then there is a Lady in the Golden Wood, as old tales tell!' he said. 'Few escape her nets, they say.'
TTT The Riders of Rohan

From that it certainly appears that some men did enter the Wood from time to time, else the stories those two had heard and the wording they used to describe them would not be so similar.
My question now is if an enchanted dream-state awaited the uninvited and the overly curious man, why were some apparently able to return to their fellows and tell them of the experience?
Again, I can't see sovereign rulers of either Gondor or Rohan sending anyone to Lórien on any sort of official business. So why would escapees be allowed?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

As they were leaving Lorien Celeborn spoke to the Company - and it was obvious he was well informed about events in Middle-Earth. For example, he knew about the bridges at Osgiliath being down and the eastern bank of Anduin being held by the Enemy. He must have got his info somehow.

And as the Company was approaching Rauros Aragorn did state that boats in recent times had travelled down Anduin from Wilderland to Osgiliath - Boromir confirmed this, although he said it had happened "seldom". Might these boats have carried Elves from Lorien and also possibly from the Woodland Realm in Mirkwood ? Anborn knew about black squirrels in Mirkwood.

Another possibility I suppose would be Gondorian ships sometimes going to the Gulf of Lune, and/or Cirdan's mariners visiting Pelargir.

Last edited by The Mouth of Sauron; 08-24-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
As they were leaving Lorien Celeborn spoke to the Company - and it was obvious he was well informed about events in Middle-Earth. For example, he knew about the bridges at Osgiliath being down and the eastern bank of Anduin being held by the Enemy. He must have got his info somehow..
Celeborn probably knew about that long before the Company arrived at Lórien. Boromir had told the Council of Elrond about it, having witnessed it himself.

Quote:
And as the Company was approaching Rauros Aragorn did state that boats in recent times had travelled down Anduin from Wilderland to Osgiliath - Boromir confirmed this, although he said it had happened "seldom". Might these boats have carried Elves from Lorien and also possibly from the Woodland Realm in Mirkwood ? Anborn knew about black squirrels in Mirkwood..
Aragorn could have travelled the River by boat on many occasions during his journeys. The same goes for Boromir, though I'm not sure what reason he might have had for being in a boat approaching Rauros from the north prior to the Company of the Ring.
That was also the probable means of Lórien elves to rendezvous with any men of Gondor they would speak with, but I know of no evidence Thranduil's elves from Mirkwood ever did the same. Anborn's words about the black squirrels were probably just from folklore he had heard.

Quote:
Another possibility I suppose would be Gondorian ships sometimes going to the Gulf of Lune, and/or Cirdan's mariners visiting Pelargir.
I wouldn't think either would have been likely, at least not for many years prior to the War of the Ring.
The last instance of ships from Gondor going to Mithlond that I know of was in the year 1975 of the Third Age, when Eärnur brought the army that defeated the Witch-king. I think Gondor became entirely engrossed in their own affairs after that, and would have seen no profit in such a journey.
Círdan, too, would have had no call that I know of that would bring his ships to Pelargir. He and his people were pretty well confined to Mithlond and Lindon by that point. I get the impression Galdor's trip to Rivendell was a rare event.

Last edited by Inziladun; 08-24-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: corrected typing error
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Elendili

Nice points by Mouth and Inzil !

OK so,

some sort of contact is going on between men of Gondor and the elves. I'd think that this was much in the same sort of way that Bilbo kept in contact with the elves. Private meetings by night out in the countryside.

I have a feeling that the elves do sometimes like to wander the hills and woods, and are sometimes, like Haldir, sent to gain information. However they don't appear to make themselves publicly known in Gondor and Rohan, so avoid towns and cities, and of course can travel inconspicuously in their grey cloaks!

I think that there must have been some few Gondorians and perhaps Rohanites , who were contacts for the elves, just like Bilbo in the Shire. Maybe they were named 'elf-friend' too? These contacts would perhaps exchange news with the elves and be trusted to keep their meetings private, if not secret, for Bilbo was well-known to 'talk with the elves'.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I would side with Rumil here. And as for the points above, I would agree with Inziladun that we have to approach all the thoughts carefully and not with too daring fantasies. The Wood-Elves of Mirkwood were a "barbaric" and remote people, being friendly only with the folk of Lake-Town and being divided even from their cousins in Lórien by dangerous country. The less would they need to meddle into any Gondorian affairs. I would believe that Anborn's remark about black squirrels was indeed just an old folk story, something like a wise remark passed down among the hunter masters and their apprentices as a curiosity about the outside world: "Good shot, son! Now you see, it's not that hard to shoot a squirrel from this distance. Next time, we can try with mice. Ha, only you remember, if you ever came to Mirkwood, son, they have black squirrels there, and it's dark there, so you won't actually see them! Ho Ho Ho! Okay, we're done for today, take your bow and let us go home."

Quote:
From that it certainly appears that some men did enter the Wood from time to time, else the stories those two had heard and the wording they used to describe them would not be so similar.
My question now is if an enchanted dream-state awaited the uninvited and the overly curious man, why were some apparently able to return to their fellows and tell them of the experience?
Again, I can't see sovereign rulers of either Gondor or Rohan sending anyone to Lórien on any sort of official business. So why would escapees be allowed?
As for this, Boromir's and Éomer's knowledge might have been as well derived from the same source. Having a real basis, for sure, but what makes you believe that actually people would enter the Wood and return? They would not pass into any more "important" places and return, for certain. I think if anybody returned, it would be just so that he was the reluctant one from the company, and just saw his companions disappear in the forest and they did not return, and when he was looking for them, he didn't find them, perhaps only something they dropped or left in the wood (like for example some guy's most prized cloak, which he just left lying in the woods, because it hindered him when chasing some phantasm, but finding the cloak was enough for the one who came looking after him to convince him that his friend was lost, for it was well known he would never drop the cloak on his own will). Or you can imagine it, once again, akin to Bilbo's experience. A group of adventurous Rohanians camps by the woods, suddenly they see eerie lights flickering behind the trees, two of them say "ooh, look, let's go there and see!" and the third one, less brave, wants to remain there, but his friends go and are never heard of again. The third guy returns to Rohan with a tale about another claim by the Elven Lady of the Golden Wood.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The River Limlight, the northern border of Rohan, was only about 100 miles from Lorien.

There surely must have been SOME occasional contact between Elves from Lorien and men from the Wold.

In addition, men (Beornings and others) still lived on the banks of the Anduin north of Lorien, down to maybe the Gladden Fields. Here again, they might have had some contact with Lorien and would most certainly have had contact with Elves from Mirkwood. I say that because there was certainly interaction between the Mirkwood Elves, the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and the Men of Esgaroth. In turn, these people (particularly Dwarves) travelled into Eriador via the High Pass that was guarded by the Beornings.

All these comings and goings must have led to some residual contacts at least with Gondor, not least by way of the Anduin and via Rohan.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #16
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't know what to say about the Wold... it was only sparsely populated by people like Wídfara with herds of horses. I doubt that such people had very much interest in exploring anything across the Limlight.

I could definitely see the Beornings and the Woodmen having contact to Elves, but I am not quite sure how this would connect the Elves to Gondor. I mean, I doubt many Gondorians went north to visit the Woodmen and then happened to see some of Thranduil's folk hunting or something similar...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
The River Limlight, the northern border of Rohan, was only about 100 miles from Lorien.

There surely must have been SOME occasional contact between Elves from Lorien and men from the Wold.
I believe not (beyond the random night sightings of a few Haldirs, or a few crazed Rohirrim wandering too far, both as mentioned above). The Galadhrim were very, very isolative people (see also UT, of Celeborn and Galadriel for some details about the folk) and they would not stick their nose out of the woods except for some scouting parties, who would however remain hidden and walking out of the sight of humans. There was also certainly not as much need for them to visit Rohan, they would stop there a few times but their main concern would be checking the other directions from their home as possible lands of threat from the Orcs, Wargs and everything.

Quote:
In addition, men (Beornings and others) still lived on the banks of the Anduin north of Lorien, down to maybe the Gladden Fields. Here again, they might have had some contact with Lorien and would most certainly have had contact with Elves from Mirkwood. I say that because there was certainly interaction between the Mirkwood Elves, the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and the Men of Esgaroth. In turn, these people (particularly Dwarves) travelled into Eriador via the High Pass that was guarded by the Beornings.

All these comings and goings must have led to some residual contacts at least with Gondor, not least by way of the Anduin and via Rohan.
What you are saying about the contact among the groups in the North is true, but I see no reason for contact between the peoples living north of Gladden Fields and the peoples living south of Lórien. Why? Let me say just two words: Dol Guldur. Also, the places around Tol Brandir have not been safe in the latter Third Age. As Boromir (or was it Aragorn?) mentioned, the Orcs were becoming more daring and could have been often waiting at the left bank of Anduin itself (as it happened to Fellowship). And before that, earlier in the TA, before the fall of the Dragon, the Wilderness was far more wild and the realm of the Beornings did not seem to reach as far or be as strong (that happened only after the renewal of Erebor, which brought the need of new trade routes and the Beornings profited from guarding the routes). Also, the reach of Dol Guldur was considerably longer in the earlier times.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

Consider what Beregond said to Pippin at Minas Tirith, before the siege : "Things move in the East beyond the Inland Sea, it is reported ; and north in Mirkwood and beyond ; and south in Harad".

How did Beregond get this information ? Certainly not via Denethor's use of the Palantir, which was secret. There must therefore have been some travelling to and from Gondor and these other parts of Middle Earth.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #19
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Consider what Beregond said to Pippin at Minas Tirith, before the siege : "Things move in the East beyond the Inland Sea, it is reported ; and north in Mirkwood and beyond ; and south in Harad".

How did Beregond get this information ? Certainly not via Denethor's use of the Palantir, which was secret. There must therefore have been some travelling to and from Gondor and these other parts of Middle Earth.
Though the ultimate source of Denethor's knowledge was indeed secret, I think he did have counsellors with whom he met to discuss intelligence and strategic matters. I can see rumours emanating from those meetings filtering down to the citizenry.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, now that's a significant quote. However, I do not believe that this would be a proof of some contact of Gondor with Beornings or Thranduil's folk. Rumors pass, even the Hobbits in the Shire knew about Mordor being inhabited again - and how far it is from Mordor to the Shire? The Gondorians, diminished however their realm may have been, still probably kept a close eye on what's going on in the East, and also upon Mirkwood. It was almost their border! The Rohirrim would know that forces are stirring in Mirkwood again. The Gondorians had numerous experiences with that from earlier days, when their realm reached far beyond Anduin. But the Elves of Mirkwood are far too remote for the Gondorians to reach. And anyway, rumors pass. The kingdom of Erebor was certainly significant enough* so that the Gondorians would know that the Easterlings are threatening it, but they probably had hardly any contact with it at all, not any diplomatic contacts. Isn't it in a way interesting to see late Third-Age Kingdom of Dale in the eyes of Gondor as a faraway rich and relatively powerful country?
Also what you said about Palantír doesn't necessarily mean that Denethor would not share his knowledge. He would not say from where it came, but he could tell his generals about this (and we know he did share some facts, as people were wondering how wise he is and how surprisingly much he knows). So he could also see the war in the far northeast and so it reached Beregond's ears.

*A side note (off-topic, but it occured to me now) - actually, curious, isn't it, just from the economic point of view: it would make sense for the Gondorians to actually maintain contact with Erebor, and the Northernmen in Dale and Lake-Town (as in old times anyway). It would be nice to have a route around the eastern borders of Mirkwood. But alas, such journey was probably impossible by the end of the Third Age, as the threat would be far too big. Easterlings and Dol Guldur - not a nice view. The only ones who would come to Erebor from south would be the messengers of Sauron... just as they did.

But it makes a lot more sense, in the light of this, that there were basically only two major trade routes in M-E, that is the west-east one from let's say Lindon to Erebor and the other NW-SE from Lindon as far as Gondor. And now it is clear to me at last why they form this sort of "incomplete triangle": as the third part of the triangle, i.e. Gondor-Erebor, just wouldn't work now.

(x-ed with Inzil, and I see he brings the same point)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
JeffF.
Haunting Spirit

JeffF. has just left Hobbiton.
Trade Routes

Don't forget the wine of Dorwinion (Northeast of the Sea of Ruhn) which was valued by Thradnuil's elves (from the Hobbit).

There must have been much overseas trade by Gondor (with whom I can't speculate) in order for a powerful people like the Corsairs of Umbar to pirate from.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffF. View Post
Don't forget the wine of Dorwinion (Northeast of the Sea of Ruhn) which was valued by Thradnuil's elves (from the Hobbit).

There must have been much overseas trade by Gondor (with whom I can't speculate) in order for a powerful people like the Corsairs of Umbar to pirate from.
Yep, Dorwinion is quite interesting place by the way, though I wonder whether by the time of the War of the Ring it wasn't either ruled by the Easterlings, or directly taken from them by Bardings. But I was referring to the major trade routes, this was probably just a very small one. Anyway, we are getting off topic... but the question of Umbar is actually interesting, it would maybe do for its own thread.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #23
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Random Ramblings On Ranger Elves

Having read the whole thread... I'm going to go back to the elf-friend theory. Haldir spoke Westron with somebody in order togather his news. Or did he always and only eavesdrop?

The borders of Lorien were well protected, and one way or the other, trespassers would be dealt with. What constitues a trespasser? one who comes without permission, or perhaps with intent to do harm. Lorien rarely invites guests. Did they even invite anybody? maybe not. So maybe Haldir mostly met folks on the fringes.

In the west, Gildor knew Bilbo. If you had asked Whil Whitfoot if the Shire had contacts with the elves, he would have frowned, hoped that the Tooks had been behaving lately, and said No, except for maybe that fool Bilbo. Officially there aer no dealings. Unless it's them moonstruck Tooks....

Quote:
"Frodo went tramping all over the Shire with them; but more often he wandered by himself, and to the amazement of sensible folk he was sometimes seen far from home walking in the hills and woods under the starlight. Merry and Pippin suspected that he visited the Elves at times, as Bilbo had done." --The Shadow of the Past
Quote:
"There were rumours of strange things happening in the world outside; and as Gandalf had not at that time appeared or sent any message for several years, Frodo gathered all the news he could. Elves, who seldom walked in the Shire, could now be seen passing westward through the woods in the evening, passing and not returning; but they were leaving Middle-earth and were no longer concerned with its troubles. There were, however, dwarves on the road in unusual numbers. The ancient East-West Road ran through the Shire to its end at the Grey Havens, and dwarves had always used it on their way to their mines in the Blue Mountains. They were the hobbits’ chief source of news from distant parts – if they wanted any: as a rule dwarves said little and hobbits asked no more. But now Frodo often met strange dwarves of far countries, seeking refuge in the West. They were troubled, and some spoke in whispers of the Enemy and of the Land of Mordor." --The Shadow of the Past
Quote:
Little of all this, of course, reached the ears of ordinary hobbits. But even the deafest and most stay-at-home began to hear queer tales... --The Shadow of the Past
Quote:
‘Yes, it is Elves,’ said Frodo. ‘One can meet them sometimes in the Woody End. They don’t live in the Shire, but they wander into it in Spring and Autumn, out of their own lands away beyond the Tower Hills...." --Three is Company
Elves, from away beyond the Tower Hills, wander. Spring and Fall. That's enough for many many fanfictions right there...
Lorien elves wander much much less if at all. .... except for Haldir and his ilk?

Quote:
‘Welcome!’ the Elf then said again in the Common Language, speaking slowly. ‘We seldom use any tongue but our own; for we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk. Even our own kindred in the North are sundered from us. But there are some of us still who go abroad (where?) for the gathering of news (from whom?) and the watching of our enemies (which ones?), and they speak the languages of other lands (plural! Not just Westron?) I am one. Haldir is my name. My brothers, Rúmil and Orophin, speak little of your tongue. (But what other tongues do they speak? Any?)
‘But we have heard rumours of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed by Lórien on their way home up the Dimrill Stair. We had not heard of hobbits, or halflings, for many a long year, and did not know that any yet dwelt in Middle-earth. --Lothlorien
(Oh, come on! Been living under a rock? Anyone who knows Elves that travel westward to Mithlond knows the road goes through the Shire. Elrond has always known about them; Galadriel certainly knew about them; Gandalf in the White Council knows about them; it's the Rangers' job to guard the West, including Hobbits, both in the Shire and in Bree. Exactly where does Haldir get his news from? Not anybody that knows of Hobbits! So doesn't that leave Gondor and Rohan and... maybe Laketown? Who else?

The more I read all this, the more I am reminded of Littlemanpoet's old thread, "It Feels Different Near The Shire." He has a point. Faerie in the northwest ebbs and flows and blows on the wind. Rivendell is not so far away, neither are the Tower Hills, Elves pass by occasionally, those rangers know more than they say, foxes talk, and old Tom is between the Old Forest and the Downs. What's a Riverdaughter? Whatever they are, Tom found one. Even the common Hobbits can disappear in a twinkle when someone clumsy like you or I comes by making a noise like a thousand elephants which they can hear a mile off.

Gondor is isolated. Are there elf-friends living there? I cannot believe that there are none. But they aren't ruling the city, either. They are fringy, and they know how to keep quiet. Perhaps they've been told to keep quiet if they ever want to see an elf again. (Those who have been to Faerie and grown as a result, keep it a secret; that's part of it. How can you share that with someone who hasn't been? See Smith of Wootten Major.)