The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Tolkien Events 2014

As in 2013, there doesn't seem to be a general thread for this, so I've set it up.

I'll probably be going to the Oxonmoot in September, it being a day longer this year. Is anyone else thinking of going?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
As in 2013, there doesn't seem to be a general thread for this, so I've set it up.

I'll probably be going to the Oxonmoot in September, it being a day longer this year. Is anyone else thinking of going?
Yes, I'm thinking of popping down to the moot. Will have to think of a show stopping costume, though.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Your Saruman will be hard to beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Yes, I'm thinking of popping down to the moot. Will have to think of a show stopping costume, though.
That's true, Hookbill. As someone who was there, your Saruman Manero, sorry Saruman of Many Colours, will be hard to beat!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It's not easy for me to get away from home now, but I do have hopes of being able to come to Oxonmoot in September! I'd love to see all of the regulars again, and it would be marvelous if other Downers could join us for the first time.
As for costume, I will certainly think of something - it may not be a funny parody though. After a few years of being silly I find myself wanting just a pretty dress!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm hoping to attend, but no guarantees yet. Have an idea for a costume but nothing super.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I haven't booked Oxonmoot yet but I've booked the flights, so count on me and m'lady Kath being there!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! Good news

Nice to hear, Aganzir and Kath, that you'll be along!

It'd be great to see you there, Bêthberry, if you can come.

I know what you mean, Esty, about getting tired of being silly! For some years, I sent people funny Christmas cards, but then got tired of keeping it up...

If any Downers are interested in coming to Oxonmoot for the first time, they'll be guaranteed a warm welcome from us 'older folk'!

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 07-31-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The Downers are the most fun group at Oxonmoot and if no other BD members come for the first time, we simply adopt other guests and recruit them for the site!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
I wish I could come, but that's just IMPOSSIBLE.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I didn't get both DTG lighters last time, so I have to go this year. It would be nice to form a Downs quiz team this time if anybody fancies it.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Bungo
Newly Deceased

Bungo has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hi everyone,

it has been a very long time since I logged into BDs - nearly a year. However, having bought my tickets I logged to to see who else will be coming to Oxonmoot. Good to see some of the BDers we met last time will be there.

This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night.

Now it is my second time I know to get planning on a costume!

best wishes

Bungo
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night
Will they be wanting beards?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand I'm game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh View Post
It would be nice to form a Downs quiz team this time if anybody fancies it.
I'm game if you and others are, Squatter.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Looking forward to seeing you three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night.

Now it is my second time I know to get planning on a costume!
I'm looking forward to seeing you three, Bungo, and your costumes as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
Bungo
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Will they be wanting beards?
Hi Aganzir,

When I mentioned having a beard to my youngest daughter she grinned like a cheshire cat - so that would be a big yes! She cannot think of anything better than being a dwarf. You met her last year when she came as 'Young Arwen'.

My elder daughter has not been to Oxonmoot before and she is keen to come as one of the elder race. So the question of a beard led to a wrinkled nose and the kind of disdain one might expect of the fairer folk. However, I am sure she will be equally keen to play table football!

Great to hear from you,

Bungo and daughters
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #16
Bungo
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing you three, Bungo, and your costumes as well.
Yes, we are all looking forward to it. And I hope you will come costumed-up too!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I just registered for Oxonmoot! So looking forward to meeting the Downers who will be there!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Me too!

I'm following Esty by saying that my registration for the 'moot was confirmed; so I'm looking forward to seeing you all!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who's coming on the first day of Oxonmoot, Thursday? I'm arriving before noon - anyone want to meet for lunch?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Lunch in the Eagle and Child at 12 noon?

Esty, at the last Oxonmoot there was an arranged lunch in the Eagle and Child on the Friday at 12 noon. This year, while nothing has been arranged, I was told to just turn up at 12 if I was there. It appeared that booking in advance made no difference to the speed of ordering last year.

I'm certainly considering turning up at the Bird and Baby at 12 noon on the Thursday. Could some of us arrange to meet up then?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I booked my place tonight. I should be in Oxford by noon, but it may take a while to ditch the car. The Eagle and Child isn't my favourite Oxford pub, but I'll go there if that's where everyone will be. That's two for the quiz team. Anyone else fancy a stab at it?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #22
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up I'll be there

I'll be there if you are, Squatter.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! St. Giles's Fair

Out of amusement, if anyone is coming to Oxford earlier than the 'moot, on Monday, 8th - Tuesday, 9th September, he or she might be interested in St. Giles's Fair:

http://england.prm.ox.ac.uk/englishn...iles-fair.html

http://www.headington.org.uk/oxon/stgiles/fair/

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/...tGilesFair.htm

It sounds like the sort of stuff hobbits would enjoy!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That does sound interesting, Faramir, but though I will be in England, I'll be spending the first half of the week in London.

As for the B&B, I'm not too enthused - it's liable to be crowded. How about if we meet at the pub Hookbill suggested - Far From the Madding Crowd? It's central and easy to reach from the train station. We can meet there around 12 noon, and there will still be opportunity to go to the B&B (or Lamb and Flag, which I like better) sometime during Oxonmoot or when it ends on Sunday.

Who'll join me at lunch on Thursday?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #25
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will be there, but not until Thursday evening.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #26
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm trying to decide weather or not to take the train down. If I do, then I'll have to get one that arrives some time after noon, so I'd miss the meet up.
We can work something out, though, I'm sure. I can get a train that arrives in Oxford at just after noon and swing by FftMC, probably around half past, depending on how quick my little legs are.

Unless I can get descent parking for overnight in Oxford, in which case I might drive down.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I don't think waiting for someone who comes a bit later will be a problem - time flies when we Downers get together! However, for those who can't be there that early, we should find an unoccupied spot on the Oxonmoot time table and get together then. Photo proof is expected, and we always have a good time!