The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
eothain of fenland
Pile O'Bones

eothain of fenland has just left Hobbiton.
Country Borders

Hi, im a little confused exactly where the borders of some of the countries are in 3018 (at the time of the movie)

Gondor-do they own the region Anorien, or is that Rohan's? do there western borders end where the mountains are?

Rohan-i kinda know where there borders are. the two rivers to the west are their western borders, the andiun to the east, the limlight to the north. not really sure about their southern borders, if they own anorien or not.

Enedwaith and Dunland-i guess this region/country is considered one.

Minhiriath-is this part of enedwaith or eriador?

Eriador/arthedain/arnor- is eriador one big kingdom? or is it the arthedain, their borders being the brandywine. and is arnor its own kingdom? their borders being the brandiwine, the mist mts, and idk where the south border is.

Mirkwood-is this its own kingdom or is it part of Rhovanion?

Rhovanion/Rhun-these two dnt rly have borders. so i understand these.

Harad-border is the poros river. understand this one fine.

thanks
ps.srry if i dnt really make much sense

EDIT- and if someone has a map that shows the borders with lines or something that would be helpful too.
eothain of fenland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmm. This might be more suited to Novices and Newcomers.

Quote:
In the east (Rohan's) bounds were the Anduin and and west-cliff of the Emyn Muil down to the marshes of the Mouths of Onodló (Entwash), and beyond that river the stream of the Glanhír (Mering Stream) that flowed through the Wood of Anwar to join the Onodló....
UT Cirion and Eorl

The Mering Stream was the western boundary of Anórien, so it seems clear that belonged to Gondor.

The Enedwaith was the name for the land between the Greyflood and the Isen in which lay the country of Dunland.

Minhiriath is considered part of Eriador.

Eriador is a region, not a country or realm of its own.

Mirkwood was merely a forest which lay in the region called Rhovanion, or Wilderland. Part of Rhovanion.

I'm sorry I don't have a map to show you, but I'm sure a perfunctory internet search should turn one up.

Last edited by Inziladun; 07-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
eothain of fenland
Pile O'Bones

eothain of fenland has just left Hobbiton.
thanks. just one more question. what were the northern borders of ithilien?
eothain of fenland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eothain of fenland View Post
thanks. just one more question. what were the northern borders of ithilien?
I can really only guess at that.

Quote:
The road had been made in a long lost time, and for perhaps thirty miles below the Morannon it had been newly repaired, but as it went south the wild encroached upon it.....So they passed into the northern marches of that land that Men once called Ithilien....
TTT Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

I don't know that I've seen a specific boundary given for it on the north: thirty miles or so south of the Morannon seems to be the closest estimate.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I think this question will get more attention and answers in the Novices and Newcomers section, so I'm moving it there. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
The road had been made in a long lost time, and for perhaps thirty miles below the Morannon it had been newly repaired, but as it went south the wild encroached upon it.....So they passed into the northern marches of that land that Men once called Ithilien....

TTT Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

" that land that Men once called Ithilien.... "

Ithilien, at the time of the War of the Ring, had no borders because it no longer existed as an administrative region. It was depopulated, apart from Minas Morgal, and had effectively become part of Mordor.

Many of the lands mentioned in LoTR were empty, controlled by on-one, so defined borders would be meaningless. Some borders, like the one between Gondor and Umbar, would be constantly changing with the relative strength of the peoples on either side. The only fixed, acknowledged border in Middle-earth at the end of the Third Age was that between Gondor and Rohan.

As the new Gondor expanded under Aragon's rule, the borders of the Empire, and of the administrative regions within it, would be under constant review as the population grew and empty lands were occupied. The Shire, for example, expanded its boundaries to include the Tower Hills.

At the end of the Third Age, the names of most parts of Middle-earth and the positions of any borders they may have had in the distant past were of interest only to academic histoians in the archives of Minas Tirith.

Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote