Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2002, 09:41 AM   #1
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
1420! The Green Dragon

The Green Dragon

Gateway to the Shire
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A golden light streamed from under the door of a small stone building just off the great east road. Just outside the door a sign hung the sign that depicted a rotund Green Wyrm with a foolish grin on a gold background. In bold lettering, beneath the freshly-painted picture, in the same gold and green were the words The Green Dragon. A trail of smoke wound around the trees looming over the inn. Many strange and wonderful characters streamed in and out of the doors of the inn. Hobbits, Big folk, Dwarves, and even the occasional Elf were seen around the great hearth sharing a tale or two. Songs were heard too, whether it was the brave, or inebriated, young hobbit dancing on a table or a mournful ranger singing songs all but forgotten.

This fine establishment was run by the innkeeper Dwarin Thunderhammer. Much to the surprise of many of the patrons, a Dwarf was the proprietor of an inn in the Shire. The local hobbits didn’t seem to mind, however. Quality ale set any doubts to rest for many of the local farmers and Shirriffs, who would drop in more than occasionally.

Inside the Inn, Dwarin was making sure all was set for a long night of business. The fire crackled merrily in the hearth. He went behind the counter and cleaned the last of his mugs and put them away. The magnificent oak topped counter gleamed with a good coat of polish. The room was brightly lit courtesy of five lamps that hung from the rafters. The atmosphere was cheery and bright. The engraving above the hearth read:

There are songs to be sung,
And tales to hear,
So on the peg let your hat be hung,
Behave or be out on your ear!

A knock fell upon the door. Dwarin rushed to the door to greet his first guests of the evening. He smiled and showed them to the counter.

“Greetings one and all. My name is Dwarin Thunderhammer! You can call me Dwarin, Thunderhammer, D or pretty much anything. Just don’t call me late for dinner.”

None of the guests laughed at the stale joke. No one ever did. Dwarin seemed unfazed.

“This is the Green Dragon. I am the innkeeper here at this fine establishment. Anyone is welcome to tell stories and share a tale or two here. If things get out of hand, however, you’ll quickly find yourselves excused. But don’t worry, I’m forgiving and usually willing to give a second chance. So have some fun and enjoy yourself.”

Dwarin turned to go but stopped himself.

“There is one last piece of advice I have for you. Be willing to listen. There are a great many folk here who have traveled the rarely trodden paths. It would do you well to learn from them for many of them are willing to help and answer questions.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to The Green Dragon Everyone is welcome! Whether you’re new to roleplaying or are a long time veteran you can come here and have some fun.

The Green Dragon is the meeting place for all Barrow-Downs Role-Players. This is a place to jump into your first RPG. As you get more comfortable writing here you may journey to Rohan or maybe even Gondor.

If there is a dispute it will be sorted out by myself, the Innkeeper at The Green Dragon - or a member of the Downs Admin team. Most likely The Barrow-Wight and Mithadan.

The Innkeeper can also be contacted at mailtowarin@barrowdowns.comDwarin@barrowdowns.com</A> This forum is still closed and under construction. Further updates forthcoming.
Keep watching here and The Red book for the Rules pertaining to the Shire RPG's.

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Dwarin Thunderhammer ]
Old 11-20-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

A Man ducked through the door of The Green Dragon. He waved to those he knew and smiled at those he didn't. Stepping up to the Innkeeper, he spoke. "Good to see you again, Dwarin. An iced tea if you please." When his beverage arrived he sipped at it for a moment. Then he strode to the center of the room and spoke loudly to those assembled.

"Well met, my friends," he said. "Mithadan I am. Its a fine day and it will be an even better evening. Would anyone like to hear a tale?" All murmured their assent.

"Very well. In years long ago passed, there was a band of Elves who dwelt far to the east of this fine establishment. Dark Elves they were, Avari, but of course being Elves they were not evil..."

"Matter of opinion," grumbled Dwarin.

"As I was saying," continued Mithadan, "these were Dark Elves meaning that long ago they had declined to pass into the West and were separated from their kin. But stories were told among them of Valinor, the Undying Lands of the West and how other Elves had travelled to those Lands.

"And one Elf, Ilwë was his name, went to the chieftain of his band and said that he wished to go to the West. The chieftain told Ilwë that years ago, he had sought out the tallest tree in the land and had climbed to its top and looked about. But he saw nothing but the tops of other trees. So he said 'The world is covered with trees and there is nothing beyond them.'

"But Ilwë would not accept this. So he and his friends travelled far and wide until they reached a place where the forest ended. And beyond the trees was a great rushing river with mountains beyond. So Ilwë gathered those who were brave and curious and set out towards the West.

"The river was indeed great and powerful and they could not pass it. So they wandered for a time and found a spot where the water was less wild and more shallow. There they cut trees into short sections and grasping these they swam across the river and came at last to the mountains. Now these were very tall and some of the Elves were daunted and begged Ilwë to turn around and go home. But he refused. And at last, the group found a pass with a path that led up into the mountains.

"Needless to say, places like mountains are often infested with evil things and these were no exception. When they were halfway across, they were set upon by Orcs, Goblins if you will, and being but lightly armed they barely escaped and some were slain. Mourning their losses they passed through the mountains and found themselves upon a lightly wooded plain. But nowhere could they see the fabled sea and again some begged Ilwë to return to their home.

"But he refused, saying they had gone too far. So they journeyed across the plain and passed over hills and through forests until they came to a place not far from here. There, they found three towers, which they climbed. To the West they again saw mountains, but in a gap in the peaks they caught a glimpse of sparkling blue water. So they made their way towards the pass and found that the waters extended through the mountains and at its edge was a small city.

"There, they were greeted by an old Elf, so old he had a long grey beard! And he said, 'Welcome to the Grey Havens. I am Cirdan, master of this place, and all Elves who seek the West are welcome here!' Ilwë and his people rested there for a fortnight while Cirdan and his mariners prepared a ship. And at dusk one night, as the stars began to bloom in the sky, Ilwë and his friends took ship and finding the Straight Road, passed into the West and came at last to the Undying Lands where they dwelt ever after."

Mithadan finished his tea then and, with a wave, passed through the door and left the Inn with promises that he would return again soon.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

A dark haired man of medium height and build walked into the Green Dragon and immediately stopped, surprised to find himself only the second guest to arrive at the newly opened inn. He gave a nod to Mithadan, who he knew well, and walked to the bar where he introduced himself to the Dwarf Dwarin.

“Hello Master Dwarf,” he said. “We have spoken many times by messenger but never actually met in person.” He looked around the Dragon. “Nice place you have here.”

Dwarin looked a bit confused. “Do I know you, sir?”

The man paused for a moment and then answered. “Of course, good Dwarf. I am The Barrow-Wight.” He waited for a reply but could see Dwarin was still confused. “What? Did you think I was really an animated corpse clothed in tattered rags?”

The Dwarf gaped, “Well…uh… yes. Everybody does.”

“Well that has changed,” laughed the Barrow-Wight. “I have taken over the body of this green-eyed, thirty-something Easterling, and I find it so much more comfortable than that old, armless (and crushed – remember what Bombadil did!) cadaver. Do you have any beer?”

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 11-20-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

The elf Varda stood in the quiet Inn, renowned for stories. She greeted Dwarin cordially, and ordered some ale. Leaning against the smooth wood of the bar, she surveyed the room. It was relatively quiet as yet, although she had greatly enjoyed Mithadan’s tale. She anticipated good stories to be told, and taking her ale, settled down in a seat to wait, and to watch.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celebmornie sits in the corner and looks around. She sips her ale and listens to the talks that are going on around her and smiles. She is gonna have a wonderful night here listing to people tell storys.

Celebmornie
Old 11-20-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel and Estelarion came in and briefly waved to everyone. They noticed the uncomfortable quiet in the room, almost like everyone was waiting. They moved to the beginning of the room. Estelarion took out his flute and played it and Menelduliniel began to sing:

O i'aur ar an i'daw
Tri i'amrûn ar di i'galad-en-Ithil.
Isobella, a!
Isobella, loro o nîn.

Hi telia o i'aur
Telin an i'hûn bronio
Mel broniatha ned le ui-eraid.

I'lû nîn telich,
I'lû le tirin
Isobella, a!
Isobella, loro o nîn!

Hi telia o i'aur
Telia na galad thiliol le
Mel broniatha ned le ui-daw

(Lyrics translated to Elvish, originally "Isobella")
Old 11-20-2002, 08:20 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was late in the evening when the grey cloaked Hobbit trudged up to the Inn's rear entrance, her shaggy brown pony ambling slowly behind her, head down.

She tied the pony's lead to a post near the watering trough, and freed him of the packs he carried. He shook his head and mane, glad to have the weight of even her meager possessions off him. She placed a small blanket over his broad little back, and scratched him thoroughly between the ears.

'I'll be back in a short while, Peri. You wait here and I'll find us some food.'

She opened the door cautiously to the kitchen. Miss Violet ran it with a firm hand, and if she decided she didn't like you that day, then out you'ld sail with nothing but your backside to cushion your fall.

'You there, Miss Violet?' she called out in a clear voice, standing one foot inside the door and one foot outside in case a hasty retreat was called for. 'It's Holly . . . from Pincup. My Pa worked for you one summer when we were passing through on our way south.'

The sound of pots banging and someone muttering imprecations came from the darkened room. Holly fumbled for the candle she knew was just to the side of the door in a small lantern. Her fingers remembered where the matches stood, in a holder just to the right of the ledge where stood the lantern.

*snick*

One scratch of a match and a small light sprang up in the gloom soon followed by a larger pool as she found the candle's wick. 'Miss Violet, are you there?'

She found the woman nearly in tears, in front of a stove she couldn't get lit. 'Holly!' she said, in exasperation. 'That Dwarf has dragged this new fangled contraption into my kitchen and I can't figure out how it's to work for the life of me. Supper's due out in an hour and I've nothing to offer but bread and pickles to the guests.'

Holly crouched down and peered at the stove. 'I think we have to open the flue here, and then the wood seems like it should go over here and be lit.' She had seen one of the Dwarvish 'conveniences' once before on her travels to Dale and the Lonely Mountain.

Soon the two women had the stove working properly and Miss Violet hauled out two large skillets, putting them on the burners to heat. A dollop of butter skittered around in each, melting. 'Holly,' she cried, 'you're a gift tonight to be sure of it. Now put on that apron over there, and slice up that ham while I grate the potatoes and onions.'

'Let me just feed my pony then I'll be right back.' She ran to the trough and untying Peri, led him to the Green Dragon's stable. 'We're in luck!' she said to him, 'Miss Violet needs someone to help her, so we've got a place to stay at least for the night. Explaining to the stable boy that she was the new kitchen help, she gave him the pony's lead and left him to his care.

Food was cooked and platters filled with it all within the space of the hour.

Holly put on a clean apron and pushed her unruly mop of black curls back from her face, securing it with a scarlet ribbon.

The booming voice of the Dwarf preceded him through the kitchen's doors. 'We've got some hungry guests out here. Is the food coming?'

'Miss Violet shooed him from her domain, saying, 'You tend to their thirst. We'll see to their stomachs!'

'We?!' said Dwarin, a frown creasing his Dwarven brow.

'Good evening, Master Dwarin!' said Holly sweetly as she hefted a large tray filled with platters of ham and potatoes and bread cut in thick slices and crocks of butter and dishes of fat pickles on the flat of her hand, and held it shoulder height. 'Holly, it is. At your service, tonight.'

She winked saucily and sailed past him, crying in a loud voice for such a small Hobbit, 'Who's hungry?!'
Old 11-20-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who's hungry? No need to ask twice! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Catching a suspender in the door as it swung open, Podo Cotton lost any last shred of dignity he might've otherwise been able to convince strangers of. The small wooden box he'd been clutching to his chest crashed to the oaken hardwood floor like a deadman's weight. Making a frantic lunge, Podo broke free of the door, snapped the suspender clean off, dove to cover the box and the handful of spilled coins with his chubby torso. Muttering to himself, he madly shoveled heavy gold coins back into the box with one hand while hoisting up his trousers with the other, all the while squirming on the ground like a stuck pig. *

* Podo had reached the Inn on foot, for his sturdy pony Hardwin had disappeared in the night. Run off, or stolen, both pony and ponycart. Podo's face fell again as he thought once more of the Southron wares he'd been ferrying in that cart, and the prices he could've gotten. But he'd go straight to the Shirriffs as soon as he'd had a good meal. *

* Podo scrabbled himself up off the floor, looked left and right, and plonked himself heavily into a groaning seat. Squinting, he looked at the waitress, trying to place her. And more importantly, to his mind, trying to place an order for food. *
Old 11-20-2002, 08:58 PM   #9
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Cold beer in hand, Barrow-Wight wandered over to a table and sat down to enjoy the varied crowd gathered in the Dragon. The small Inn had stood for centuries in the small hamlet of Bywater, and for almost as long young storytellers had journied to it to try their hand at spinning a tale before an audience. But the Barrow-Wight was not in the mood for talking this night. He had come to Bywater to see what talent, new or old, showed up. On any given night there might appear at the Dragon a group of novice writers eager to join a game, or a solo character of many advertures wanting to share his or her own experiences with the onlookers.

Either way, the Wight expected to see some daring person ask to start one of the ‘seed’ stories.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 11-21-2002, 12:49 AM   #10
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

The Green Dragon's door creaked open a few inches and most of the diners looked up, eager to appraise the newcomer. There were frowns and murmers of surprise, however, when the guest proved to be a large, nondescript white dog. He sauntered into the room and began sniffing greedily around the tables, hoping for scraps. Dwarin rose, but before he could shoo the bothersome creature outside where he belonged, a figure appeared in the doorway. It was wrapped in so many layers that it was impossible to discern sex or race. It's cry of "Feaer! Come here!" at least proved it was female, however.

The dog gave a last longing sniff under one of the Hobbits' chairs and obediantly returned to his mistress' side. She looked around the room for a moment and then began removing her layers. It soon became clear that her clothing hadn't revealed as much as it had seemed to. She was a massive woman, tall and strong. A soldier? But how would a woman have come upon such a career?

She looked around the room a moment more, and then strode forward and sat down at one of the tables to eat. The dog, Feaer, followed her and lay down under her chair.
Some few in the room recognised her, at least on sight, though none could remember speaking to her.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 11-21-2002, 01:52 AM   #11
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Seeing some of the patrons shifting uneasily, Dwarin climbed up on one of the stools.

“Some of us here at the green dragon have prepared a song for just an occasion as this! Now that Miss Violet and Miss holly are here I believe we can perform it!”

Violet popped out of the kitchen just long enough for Dwarin to drag her unwillingly onto the Stool next to him. Dwarin produced a small drum from behind the counter. Holly grinned and hopped up on the next stool more than willingly. Violet scowled as Holly started:

We de de de de de de de de de dum we um bum ba way
We de de de de de de de de de dum we um bum ba way

Dwarin chimed in with drum and voice:

Wee-maa-way Wee-maa-way Wee-maa-way

Hesitatingly Miss violet began:

In the mountain, the mighty mountain
The Dragon sleeps tonight
Under the mountain, the lonely mountain
The Dragon sleeps tonight

In the mines the beautiful mines
The balrog sleeps tonight
Near the mines the Morian Mines
The Balrog sleeps tonight

Hush my Hobbit (hush my Hobbit)
Don't fear my Hobbit (don't fear my Hobbit)
The Sackville Baggins sleep tonight (the Sackville Baggins sleep tonight)
Hush my darling don't fear my darling
The Sacville Baggins sleep tonight

Dwarin and his crew climbed down from their stools and awaited a response.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:35 AM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The songsters were met by an awed silence. Then began the steady beat of tankards on the wooden tables as the patrons showed their approval.

A tall, thin, fair-haired Hobbit stood and raised his hands to quiet the crowd. 'Do none of you know the Northern version?' he asked, looking about the crowd.

'Northern version?' asked Dwarin. Miss Violet shrugged her shoulders. Holly grinned at the Dwarf and coming near to the questioning Took, climbed on the table he stood by and offered him a hand up.

Another Took stood and filled in with the drum as the two Hobbits sang out in clear voices.

We-de-de-de, de-de-de-de-de de, we-um-um-a-way

A wimoweh a wimoweh a wimoweh a wimoweh

Deep in Mount Gram the Misty Mountains
The King Orc sleeps tonight
Under Mount Gram the Misty Mountains

Beneath the Greenfields,the quiet Greenfields
Golfimbul sleeps tonight
Under Greenfields, the peaceful Greenfields
Golfimbul sleeps tonight

Hush my dear Tooks, don't fear my dear Tooks
Hush my dear Tooks, don't fear my dear Tooks

Round the Shire, the mighty Shire
Bullroarer rides tonight
Sleep my Hobbits, you're safe my Hobbits
Bullroarer rides tonight

Their voices faded away into the hush of the room. The Took lad bowed to Holly, and she curtsied to him, blushing prettily. Then the band of North-tooks from Long Cleeve stood up as one and raised their pints to the two.

'Drinks all round!' cried the Elder of the group, his rheumy eyes seeing scenes from an old story his mam had told him - the Great Battle of Greenfields, where Bandobras 'Bullroarer' Took defeated a band of marauding Orcs led by Golfimbul, King of the Orcs of Mount Gram.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:54 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Díra carefully removed two leather-bound cases from the saddle-bags before she let the stable-boy take the pony’s reins. “Be sure to take good care of him,” she said curtly. “He has had a long journey and a heavy load.” She strode up to the door of the inn, which swung open as a guest left. “Hey! Watch out where you’re going!” she snapped.

As she stepped into the Green Dragon, her eyes darted around the room. Without noticeable surprise, she recognized the Innkeeper and walked over to him. “Well, Dwarin, so this is what’s become of you – an innkeeper?! Not much profit to be made here in the province, I wager. Might have known that you were off on one of your ridiculous adventures again!”

Dwarin’s eyes brightened as he saw the plain, sturdy face and form of a dwarven female. “Díra!” he shouted, trying to grasp her hand.

“You just keep those bumbling fingers off my cases,” she retorted. “No one touches my fine tools or the wares that I have made. Just be a good fellow and get me something to eat and drink, will you? Travelling is hungry and thirsty work.”

She sat down at an empty table, carefully placing her cases between her feet before taking off her blue, hooded cloak and stretching with a sigh. My, it is good to be inside where it’s warm and friendly, she thought. But does there have to be so much talking and singing going on?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-21-2002, 06:52 AM   #14
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Sting

Lilac Burrows dashed back to the bar, picking up another tray of ale mugs.

"All right, Drondo, I'm coming, lad!" she called to a rotund hobbit sitting at a table with some friends. "Me legs can only carry me so fast!"

She set the ale mugs down in front of the hobbits and hurried back to the kitchen. "Hurry up, Lilac! We've a full house tonight!" The cook, Miss Violet, was up to her elbows in bread dough. Lilac grinned at her.

"Yes, and they're all hankering for more ale and more food." She picked up a tray of stew plates. "Nothing we can't handle, eh?"
Old 11-21-2002, 04:20 PM   #15
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Lilac moved back to the throng now gathered in the inn, a surly youth bumped her in the arm sending the long-awaited victuals to the floor.

"Well, young man!" She cried, crossing her arms in a rare posture of irritation.

Without seeming to have noticed her sharp exclamation of censure, the youth moved to a corner table where SHE darkly frowned, though pleased that her disguise had worked. Perhaps she would be able to fall into ignonimy in this backwards place.
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 11-21-2002, 05:24 PM   #16
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Sting

Menelduliniel and Estelarion smiled at all the other talented musicians and went over to the bar, each ordering an ale.

"We will need new songs to keep up with them!" Menelduliniel said, laughing. Estelarion laughed with her.

"Do you know I'Bith en Eraid?" Menelduliniel asked, looking at Estelarion.

"Aaaa...no, sorry," Estelarion said.

"You don't?" Menelduliniel asked, surprised.

She stood up and went to the center of the room. "Does anyone know I'Bith en Eraid?" she asked the room.

A small Hobbit with a flute stood, "I do, Miss Elf," she said.

"Would you like to play?" Menelduliniel asked, gesturing to the flute.

"I...well, I...I suppose...me?" the small Hobbit stammered.

"Of course," Menelduliniel said, "Come now!"

The stood towards the center and a tall Elf with a stringed instrument and his friend with a small drum and tambourine joined them. They both smiled at him and began.

Min aur, min fuin, min lûeg
Ler nîn penitha eraid gwin
Min gon, min dant, min u-dal
Rhûn ar Andune
Am amar ar na nen
Min bad no randa nîn
Bad hi nitha Bith en Eraid nîn.

O arad an arad
I'randon nîn athon
O fuin an fuin, randa nîn,
In'trinairn u-nitha lû wain

U-arad, u-fuin, u-lûeg
U-daritha ler nîn.
Darithan, danathan, u-broniathan
Govadathan arad nîn palan-o-nef
Palan-o-nef.

Min arad, min fuin, min lûeg
Na lor neri
Min gon, min dant, min u-dal
Ar amar wain tharaeronon
Bad hi estin lor nîn
Goarad hi metha, palan-o-nef

Goarad hi metha, palan-o-nef
Palan-o-nef.

(Courtesy of "Book of Days" by Enya)

The small band ended. By this time, Estelarion had caught on to the melody and had joined in. They smiled, happy to have met each other, and all journeyed to the bar together to speak over another pint.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:16 PM   #17
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Celeb watched them sing and smiled. This is fun she thought. She lowers her hood and her long black hair galls out. She itches her ear and smiles. She thinks about her mother and the songs she used to sing. She was suddenly aware of someone in the other corner watching her and she used her hair to cover her pointed ears. She just wasnt comfortable with the thought of people noticing to quickly that she was an elf. She waited for someone else to start singing and without noticing it she started humming a song ot herself.

Celebmornie
Old 11-22-2002, 01:01 AM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was a tricksy twist of time,they say, that brought the brown cloaked rider to the Inn's door. A sturdy brown horse it was, though, that bore him from Long Cleave to the door of the Green Dragon.

He was a Hobbit of some height, broad shouldered, fair of countenance, with a thick blond mass of curls. Beneath his cloak he wore a simple, long sleeved tunic of homespun cloth, and a pair of brown breeches cut to mid calf, and secured with a sturdy brass buckled belt. It was his vest that marked him as a Hobbit of some interest - a striking pattern of black and yellow diamonds shot through with thin red lines. His feet, of course, were bare.

Bolco was left to the able hands of the stable boy. His rider strode to the door of the Inn and through it just as the last verse and chorus of the Took's "Northern Version" rang out. He stood at the back of the room, eyes gleaming beneath his bushy brows, and watched the two singers bow and curtsy to one another. 'Fallohides!' he murmured. 'No mistaking them.'

'A pint!' he called out to the Inn keeper as he approached the bar and leaned on it.

'Make it two!' he said smiling broadly. 'The Bullroarer is thirsty tonight.'

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-22-2002, 08:35 AM   #19
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Sting

Mud splattered as heavy dwarven boots worn by a pair of weary legs trudged along the trail that was called the Great East Road in the tongue of the big folks. Glòin Stealthteeth had been journeying for an entire day and was exhausted and hungry. By word of mouth, he had heard of a dwarven establishment along these parts and was eager to reach there and spend the night with the hospitality of fellow khazads.

As he reached the bent around an old willow, he saw in a distance a small stone hut with two windows illuminated from within by bright lights and wisps of smoke rising from the chimney.

Gloin exclaimed to himself, "Lo! That must be the Green Dragon Tavern! Himli wasn't pulling my beard afterall!"

It took a few more minutes before Glòin finally arrived at the doorsteps of stone hut perspiring. Just as he was about to lay his hands on the door, it opened and an elf, tall and fair stepped into the moonlight. He saw Gloin and graciously held it open for the tired Khazad to enter before giving a slight bow and exiting into the night, closing the weather beaten door behind him.

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 11-22-2002, 05:35 PM   #20
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

As Robin Brandybuck walked towards the Green Dragon inn, she heard singing. Smiling, she pushed open the door and stepped in. Many eyes turned to look at her as she stepped up to the counter.

"A cup of tea, if you please, sir," she said to the innkeeper.

"At once," the dwarf said, and poured her a cup of tea. She took it, thanking him, and moved to sit at a table.

But she did not sit at once. Looking around the room at everyone, she said, "My name is Robin. I'm pleased to meet you all." Then she sat and began to drink her tea.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:08 AM   #21
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Valeria, Witch of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Sting

The door to the Green Dragon opens and a figure cloaked in red enters. The person pushes back their hood, revealing that it is a woman with long black hair and startling blue eyes. She rests her hand lightly on the pommel of the silver sword at her waist, then relaxes, chuckling softly.
She takes a seat near the wall and orders an ale, sipping it slowly. She feels the warmth in the room and is welcome for it. It has been long since she knew warmth, either physically or the warmth of kindness. Her eyes sweep the room, ears catching snippets of stories told by fellow wanderers. Her eyelids fall half-closed and her lips curve in a smile.
Her name is Valeria and she comes from Angmar.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:26 AM   #22
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Boots

Glòin Stealthteeth made his way through the crowded room squeezing and shoving through drunk and sweaty bodies. The worm-eaten floorboards, soaked in spilled beverage and excrete squeaked with every step he took. The tired dwarf took a while before finally making his way to a seat at the barcounter.

The innkeeper; a fellow khazad spotting a dirty brown apron took notice of Glòin, went towards him and smiled:

“By Aüle! Another fellow Khazad! Greetings! My name is Dwarin Thunderhammer! You can call me Dwarin, Thunderhammer, D or pretty much anything. Just don’t call me late for dinner.”

Both dwarves broke into hearty guffaws which caught some regular patrons along the counter in surprised. No one till now laughed at the innkeeper's signature introduction/joke.

"Greetings good innkeeper! I am Glòin, son Bayer and by the axe of my forefathers, a warrior of the House of Dáin the Unforgettable. I have travelled far and would require a room for the night and sustenance to keep the body strong."

The innkeeper grunted his approval and produced a tray of strong cheeses, assorted nuts and dried spiced meats from underneath the counter before stepping towards the taps and handed me a large tankard of mead.

I thanked the khazad and gratefully accepted the cool beverage. Grabbing a tasty morsel from the tray, I turned around and munched hungrily whilst surveying the room.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 11-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #23
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Two hobbits came down the road bickering, one was riding a huge cart-horse and had dark brown, curly hair. The other was walking next to him and had light brown hair and eyes.
"Come on, just a drink or two, we won't be long." said the one walking,
"Gaddy, after a few drinks y'know I'm in no state to ride any horse, let alone me dads best one. Me uncle is expectin' this horse tomorrow, I shant get there on time if I stop with you."
"Aren't you the slightest bit hungry?"
"Well... aye, I am, but that's not sayin' anythin', I'm always hungry."
"Oh Hal, please, just this once, I'll explain it to your father, I swear I will." Hal thought hard,
"Oh alright, but never again, yer already got me into trouble twice this week."
"You didn't do anything wrong, you just took a break, farm work isn't everything you know."
"Easy fer you to say, you've not worked a day in yer life."
"Have to, that day when I helped you with the plowing and..." And so he continued until they got to the Inn.

Hal made sure the horse got the best stable in the yard then followed Gaddy into the bar. He opened the door and looked around at all the strange people,
"Well bless my heart, not seen this many strange folk in one place before." He sain to himself as he moved out of the way for a dwarf and a group of hobbits.
"Hal, what're you doing? I'm over here." said Gaddy from the bar.
"Here's your ale, now drink up." he said taking a big gulp from his own mug.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:14 AM   #24
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Celeb looks around and suddenly recognises her sister. "Thule!" She yells and her sister walks over. "Hello!" She stops the bartender. "Can we have 2 more pints?"

Celebmornie
Old 11-23-2002, 10:56 AM   #25
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bullroarer pounded on the table with his two empty flagons. "Where is that dratted dwarf? I want my dinner now!"

Dwarin came scurrying up to the table. The Dwarf looked a bit flustered. He wasn't used to dealing with hobbits quite as loud and boisterous as Bullroarer. Plus this hobbit was as tall as he was. Very strange indeed!

Bullroarer clambered onto the top of the table and cried, "Hey, hey, I have an announcement to make, a matter of great importance. I see we have a number of newcomers in the Inn." Bullroarer waved a friendly hand towards Robin Brandybuck, Valeria, Hal, and Grady. He also smiled at Celebmornie whom he knew. "And I see some sturdy hobbits in the group."

"Just next week, we will have a band of brave hobbits trudging from the Shire all the way to Rivendell to secure needed foodstuffs and supplies. Although warm and comfortable in the Inn, there is blizzard and famine throughout the Shire. We must get through to Rivendell so the Elves can help us."

"We are looking for volunteers. Just see the discussion thread for "The Long Winter" in the Shire and sign up your character if you'd like to come along."

At this point, Dwarin came to the table bearing a plate of mushroom stew. He shook his head. "No, I need more than this. Bring enough so that I can share with my new friends as well."

Dwarin groaned, but re-emerged in a minute carrying several more platters of food. Bullroarer gestured to the newcomers, "Come on, join in, there's plenty for all."
Old 11-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #26
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

Robin gave a wide smile to Bullroarer, then stood up and held up her hands. "May I now sing a little song I composed?" she asked. As she received cries of yes, she began.

Here in the Shire the grass grows green
And little rivers fall.
At the Green Dragon we dance and sing
And Dwarin answers our calls.

Whether it's tea, water, or ale
That we wish to enjoy
The Green Dragon will, without fail,
Lighten the hearts of our girls and boys.

Sitting down again, she added, "It may not be too good. Just a little song that came into my head the way here that I just had to sing. I suppose when I said 'girls and boys' I sounded as though I was talking about children… didn't I?"

She gave a deep sigh and began half-talking to herself. "I know I can't compare with all you wonderful story-tellers and singers here, but I'll try."

Then a smile lit up her face. "What about another cup of tea, Dwarin?" she asked, jumping up and heading over to the counter.

Dwarin poured her another cup of tea. "Here you are," he said.

"Thank you kindly," Robin replied, but didn't leave the counter. Instead she turned to everyone and said, "How about a tale or two? Does anyone have an interesting story they'd wish to share?"
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

"Here in the Shire the grass grows green
And little rivers fall.
At the Green Dragon we dance and sing
And Dwarin answers our calls."

Bullroarer sang and hummed the words from that Robin lass's as he sopped up the last bit of gravy from hhis bowl with a crusty chunk of bread.

'Nice song!' he said to her, his voice booming over the din of the Tavern. He motioned her over with a wave of his hand, and stood, offering her a seat. 'She blushes so prettily!' he thought to himself, 'Just like my daughter!'

'You're a Brandybuck, are you not?' he asked her, taking a close look at her. 'The Fallohide blood always tells, especially when one opens her mouth to sing.' He smiled at her and laughed. 'Where are my manners! I'm Bandobras Took just come from Long Cleave.'

'Robin', she replied, warming to him. 'Robin Brandybuck, it is, of Hobbiton.' She took her seat and sipped her good herb tea, savoring the smell of it and the warmth of the mug as she held it.

Bullroarer frowned, trying to remember where he had heard that name before. He pulled a ragged piece of paper from his vest pocket, and putting on his reading glasses perused it for a moment. 'There you are!' he said pleased with himself.

He took the stub of a pencil from his pocket then, and put a check mark by the young Hobbit's name. 'What's that?' she asked politely, seeing the list of names and wondering why she was on it.

'Tis a list of sturdy Hobbits I am to contact, to see about a little venture we might try. He looked about the common room at the sea of faces. 'You wouldn't by any chance see any of these others here would you?' She glanced at the list and shook her head 'no'.

Bullroarer stood and looking about the room, found who he was seeking. Dwarin sighed and rolled his eyes beneath his bushy eyebrows, but there was no escaping the ham-fisted Hobbit who stood motioning him over with a wave.

'Dwarin, my lad! I need some assistance from you. Some members of the party I was to meet seem to have gone missing. Can you see your way to finding out about where they are and bringing them here.' It was more of a statement than a question.

'So now I am to be a messenger service!' laughed the Dwarf to himself. 'Who do you need, Bullroarer? I'll send out some Hobbits to round them up.'

Bullroarer showed the list to the Inn Keeper - Lotho Hilldweller, Emerald Burrows, and Daisy Took were the names he jabbed at with his thick finger. 'And if you find any other likely candidates for my venture - bring them on in, too!' Dwarin called for a flagon of dark brown ale to tide the mighty Hobbit over until the needed Hobbits could be found.

Then he took two likely looking lads aside, and giving them the promise of a free pint when they returned, he sent them out to gather Bullroarer's troops.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-23-2002, 01:45 PM   #28
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Did you hear that Hal?" said Gaddy getting over excited as he had a tendancy to do,
"Bullroarer going on a quest and looking for sturdy hobbits like us to come along." He looked meaningfully at Hal.
"No. I am not going, I still have loads of stuff to do for me dad."
"We can still go and see him atleast."
"No! He's got much better things to do than talk to us." but Gaddy dragged him through the crowd by the wrist anyway. They arrived at Bandobras' table, Gaddy stepped forward,
"Er... Mr. Bullroarer? Sir?"
"Yes?"
"Er, I'm erm... well... my name is..." Hal saw his friend in trouble, it always happened when he talked to strangers, he did things before he thought and the words got lost on the way to his mouth. Hal pushed him out of the way and held out a hand,
"I'm Halwon Cotton, me friends call me Hal though, and this is Gaddbard Boffin, who's also known as Gaddy, please excuse him, he does things before he thinks y'see, and he's always gettin' himself in trouble, me too if he as a chance."
"Hal!" said Gaddy, elbowing him in the side and looking embarrassed. Bandobras laughed and took Hal's hand,
"Nice to meet you two." and he took Gaddy's hand and shook it aswell.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:50 PM   #29
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

As Bullroarer spoke to Dwarin, Robin found herself turning pink with excitement. So, someone had liked her song! That was rare.

Bullroarer turned back to her. Looking curiously at him, Robin said, "We're traveling to Rivendell, aren't we?"

"Yes, we are," Bullroarer replied. "And how did you know?"

"There's always a strange light in one's eyes when they are planning to go to Rivendell," answered Robin. "But don't think it was my idea. You see, I have an Elf friend at Rivendell who said I had a light in my eyes when I was traveling to Rivendell with her. She said that everyone she met who was traveling to Rivendell, no matter what their race, got that light in their eyes."

"You have been to Rivendell before, then?"

"Yes, once," Robin replied, her eyes taking on a rather dreamy look. "My friend took me there. It was beyond beautiful. I can hardly contain my excitement at being able to go again."

"It is well we have one who has traveled there before accompanying us," said Bullroarer.

"Hmm, yes, I suppose." Robin wasn't really paying attention. She was gazing out one of the windows of the inn, at the dark night sky.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she said suddenly, looking apologetically at Bullroarer. "I was thinking of Rivendell. I'm eager to go there again."

She suddenly noticed two young hobbits were standing at the table. She beamed a smile at them. "Sit down!" she said. "I'm sorry if I missed out on anything important you had to say. Though I'm quite sure you were talking to Bullroarer and not meself. Sit down!"
Old 11-23-2002, 03:28 PM   #30
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Rivendell is nice enough, for those of us who like elvish things. Though I must admit I find it too quiet for my liking.' said Bullroarer. 'Give me a good smial any day to live in, and a nearby Inn to gather with friends and that is enough for this Hobbit.'

He looked up at the two lads who now stood near his table, shuffling their feet. The braver of the two had come forward to greet him and introduce his tongue-tied friend. 'Hal!'he said, as he shook the talkative one's hand. 'And Gaddy, is it?' He waved them to some empty seats. 'Welcome! This is Robin Brandybuck, soon to be a travelling companion of ours when we go to Rivendell.' He looked the two directly, like a fine fox sizing up two plump hens. 'You are going with us, are you not?' They nodded their heads at him, afraid to say 'no'.

He beamed at them and standing, clapped them both on their backs. 'Sit with us and slake your thirst, my hearty adventurers. What will you have?'

Bullroarer motioned once again to the beleaguered Innkeeper.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-23-2002, 03:31 PM   #31
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

"Where do we go from here?" Menelduliniel asked Estelarion as they sat down.

"Let us wait and listen to others. Maybe we can join one of those fine people on their journey," Estelarion said.

"I wish we could journey on our own. It is a lot more...simple," Menelduliniel said, ordering herself another ale.

"Aye, that it is, but it is also far too dangerous. I propose we wait for someone who is looking for fine young Elves to accompany them on a quest of some sort."

"If that is your wish..." Menelduliniel said, absentmindedly, "Do you know, there are far more Dwarves and creatures of other races than I thought there would be. The Green Dragon, I thought, would mostly be inhabited by Hobbits."

"That is strange," Estelarion said. He sighed, "Well, these are dangerous times. People must know that the Shire is one of the safer regions left in the world."

"But, if the hunted come into the Shire, would that not lead the evils of the world into this area, trying to find them?"

"Most likely it would, Menelduliniel, yes," Estelarion said, his mood beginning to darken at Menelduliniel's topic.

"I hope that none come to harm these darling people," Menelduliniel said.

The both sat together, getting thoroughly depressed at the thought of these friendly Hobbits getting harmed...
Old 11-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #32
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Daisy Took tied her pony Lily to the post and opened the door to the Green Dragon and entered. She looked around to find Bullroarer and the group going to Rivendell. She found him seated with 2 other hobbits. She approached the group and said,"I'm sorry it took so long for me to arrive here, but I had to arrange for things to be taken care of while I'm gone. I've never been to Rivendell and am looking forward to traveling with you."
Old 11-23-2002, 03:38 PM   #33
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

Robin glanced towards the table where Menelduliniel and Estelarion were talking together.

"Excuse me for just a moment," she said to Bullroarer, Hal, and Gaddy. "I'll be right back.

Walking over to the table of the two Elves, Robin smiled. "Greetings, friends," she said. "I couldn't help noticing you were Elves, and I do love Elves. Do you mind if I sit and speak with you for a moment?"

"Please, sit down, merry hobbit lass," Menelduliniel said.

Robin took a seat. "I'm afraid I mustn't speak long, for Bullroarer and the two young hobbits may be wanting me back there, soon. But this is the first time I've seen Elves in the Green Dragon. From where do you come?"
Old 11-23-2002, 03:51 PM   #34
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Welcome Daisy! I had wondered where you were. Come sit and meet these likely looking lads. Gaddy and Hal, of Bywater as I recall.'

He looked pointedly at Gaddy, who stood, stammering, and pulled out a chair for Daisy.
'May I get you something to drink?' the shy young Hobbit asked Daisy when she had seated herself.

Bullroarer looked on, a smile playing about his eyes. 'Those Fallohide girls. They always have that effect on the lads!'
Old 11-23-2002, 04:36 PM   #35
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Daisy looked up at Gaddy and replied,"Yes I would like some tea, thank you."
"I am glad to meet you." Daisy said to the two young hobbits.

She then turned to Bullroarer and asked "How soon will we be on our way to Rivendell? I am really excited about going on this adventure!!

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Calenedheliel ]
Old 11-23-2002, 05:01 PM   #36
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gaddy went to get Daisy her tea.
"Aye, a good question that is, I have to tell me dad I'm going, and Gaddy here will have to ask his, won't you Gaddy? Gaddy?" Gaddy had been gazing at Daisy while she drank her tea and Hal elbowed him,
"Eh? What? oh, yes." He said, not really knowing what they were talking about. Bullroarer laughed heartily and Gaddy hid his embarrased face behind his mug, drinking more of his ale.
"So Bullroarer? When are we starting?" pushed Hal.
"We have to wait for more hobbits to join us before we start, we're stuck here for the moment."
"Fine with me." said Gaddy gazing at Daisy again.
"Oh you're just useless you are!" said Hal smiling at his friend's shallowness.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 11-23-2002, 05:17 PM   #37
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

The door opened yet again and a young hobbit man entered. Scanning the tables, he caught sight of Robin sitting near two Elves and walked over to her.

"I hate to interrupt," he said to them. "But I need Robin to introduce me to Bullroarer."

Robin opened her mouth to protest, but the Elf woman spoke up. "That's quite all right," she said with a smile. "It was wonderful speaking with you, Robin."

With a sigh, Robin led Dinodas over to a table where four hobbits were sitting, muttering to herself. "Well, I suppose I should have been heading back there anyway," she said.

Bullroarer greeted her. "Welcome back to our table, Robin," he said with a smile. "While you were gone young Daisy Took arrived." He gestured to the newcomer at their table.

"Hello, Daisy," Robin said. "I'm named Robin Brandybuck. This is Dinodas Green," she added. "Dinodas, meet Gaddy, Hal, and Daisy. Oh, and of course Bullroarer."

"Hello to you all," Dinodas said. "Especially to Bullroarer. I'm interested in this journey you're taking to Rivendell."

"He wants to come," Robin put in helpfully. Dinodas shot her an annoyed glance, then smiled sheepishly at the other hobbits. "We're friends," he said. "So we tease each other all the time."

As Dinodas began asking Bullroarer questions about the journey they would be taking, Robin turned to Hal, Gaddy, and Daisy.

"Another of Fallohide stock, Daisy?" she said.

Hal spoke up. "Well, Gaddy-" here he shoved his friend, who was still staring at Daisy- "is also of Fallohide stock," said Hal. "So make it three."

"With pleasure!" Robin laughed. "I suppose we should all become wonderful friends before this adventure. I have a notion will need friendship on this journey."

Dinodas turned towards Robin. "Hmm? What's that?"

"I was talking to these three... Hal especially, since he was speaking to me," Robin said, rolling her eyes.

Dinodas gave a mock groan and returned to asking Bullroarer questions.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 11-23-2002, 09:28 PM   #38
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The small, stocky figure with the long hooked staff stalked through the inky twilight towards the welcoming warmth and light of the Green Dragon. His small shadow stopped beside him and sniffed the air appreciatively. "Aye, old friend. a welcome sight - and smell, I'll warrant. Worth a tramp half-way 'cross the Shire."

Elfred Thistle had been clear to Michel Delving, there to spend some time with his eldest daughter and his latest grandchild, a healthy girl, pretty as a spring lamb. Yesterday morning he had begun the long tramp back to Bree, spending the night in the comfortable roots of an old tree. But tonight, he would treat himself to something better.

The inn was packed to the rafters tonight, not only with his own folk, but a various assortment of Dwarves, Men, and Elves. Elfred was use to the first two; but even with all the long summer nights he had spent in the Weather Hills tending to his flocks, he had seldom spied any of the Fair Folk. A glimmer in the distance and they would be gone, as wary as any deer.

But tonight there seemed to be three or more of Elrond's folk in residence. They looked almost peculiar amongst the cozy grime of the Green Dragon, like colorful birds from the Southlands suddenly lighting in a Bree dovecote.

But it was not the Elves that made Elfred straighten in amazement and respect, but the tall, muscular Halfling that stood talking to Dwarin at the end of the bar. Dwarin looked up and spying his old friend as he entered the room, waved him over.

"Elfred Thistle! I had no idea you were in these parts again. Visiting that charming daughter of yours?"

"That I was. She has honored our family with a new addition, and I could think of no better place to wet the babe's head then here."

"Her ninth, is it?"

Nay, her tenth!"

Dwarin whistled in appreciation (and bemusement. Dwarves seldom produced the "litters" that Hobbit families seemed to require). "Well, we'll all raise a glass to the little one tonight, and many more. But first, allow me to introduce you. Master Took, meet Elfred Thistle of Breeland, famed shepherd and bane of all wolves. Elfred, Bandobras Took, known to all as 'The Bullroarer' "

Elfred tipped his hat, bowed his head and muttered "at your service, Sir". The younger son of Thain Isumbras II was known throughout the West Lands. Elfred had never found himself in such distinquished company.

Bandobras raised his glass and replied "at your service, and well met, Gaffer. Here's to the health of your grandchild." And with that he raised his mug and drained it without breath. Slammming it on the bar, he cried to Dwarin "Another, good dwarf, and the same for Master Thistle!"

Dwarin turned back with two mugs, saying to Elfred "Would you like your usual room Elf? And Miss Violet has made a noble stew tonight, as well as the hardiest bread in the Three Farthings."

The shepherd took a long draw from his mug, raised his glass to Bandobras in thanks, and said "Aye, two bowls of stew, Dwarin, and a cold bowl of water for my friend."

"Where is Nop, then? Not like him to not come and greet his old mate Dwarin." The two peered around, finally spotting the slinking black and white form of the small collie, touching noses with a massive, shaggy white dog under a far table - who seemed to belong to an equally massive feminine species of Big Folk. The two dogs sniffed each other intently, still deciding whether they would be friends for life, or start a mighty donnybrook in the middle of the Green Dragon patrons.

The bar was noisy, but all it took was one quiet "Nop. By me, Sir" to bring the collie whirling and trotting to the feet of his beloved master.

"Well done, Nop. Are you ready for your feed then?" And Nop wagged his tail, as eager as any Hobbit to dig into Miss Violet's famous stew.

Dwarin chased two young Brandybucks away from a table and seated his friend in the cozy booth by the fire. Then Elfred, with Nop curled in a heap at his grey feet, settled in to enjoy the passing show at the Green Dragon, his second home.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:55 AM   #39
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lotho slunk into the inn, slightly irritated. He was not at all happy at being interrupted by an excited young hobbit just as he had almost managed to sell that sack of slightly..decaying tomatoes to old Odo Proudfoot. Still, the young hobbit had insisted that he was needed at the Green Dragon on Rivendell business, so Lotho had had no choice but to abandon the sale and follow the young 'un grudgingly.

The Green Dragon was buzzing with many people. Where was he? Ah. The Bullroarer stood tall over the shorter hobbits surrounding him. Lotho made his way over to him, smiling in a polite, albeit forced manner.

"Greetings, good sir," he said to the Bullroarer.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:33 PM   #40
Ithilelen

Silmaril

A small elf wanders in, she has almost white hair and bright blue eyes, her hair is curly and hangs around her shoulder.

"Greetings all, I am Ithilelen." Bows to the patrons. "I am slightly new to this area, and would like some direction."