The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2002, 07:33 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting A message to our members

There have been a lot of changes here at the Barrow-Downs over the past year. We hope that most of the changes have been for the better. However, we cannot make everyone happy all the time. Some members have not liked the changes and have left. This is their perogative. Some have set up their own websites in an attempt to do things the way they think they should be done. We wish them well.

Some people have made posts on these other websites which are openly critical of the Barrow-Downs and its management. We can't do anything about this. If some people want to expend their energies on being negative rather than upon creating their own on-line community, that's their business. But please do not post on these websites attacking them or their members.

We have received complaints of several people posting on other websites in a manner critical of them while "defending" the Barrow-Downs. This is not the right way to "defend" the Barrow-Downs. The right way to support our site is to make good posts here, not bad posts somewhere else. When someone flames another site "in the name of" the Barrow-Downs it reflects poorly upon us and our members and only serves to make people stay angry. This benefits no one.

With the cooperation of the webmasters of other sites, we can track down who is posting flames there. We have already done so on a few occaisions. Once, it was a disgruntled former member seeking to make trouble for us. On other occaisions, it was current members angry that others had left or at what they were saying. We have a policy here against flaming on our boards. We must extend the same policy to members of this board who flame other sites "on our behalf." Any such flaming will be dealt with harshly.

If you like the Barrow-Downs and enjoy posting here, please just use your energies to make good posts here and make our site better. Causing trouble elsewhere is the same as causing trouble here and solves nothing.

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Speaking as a dedicated Downs member and The Admin and owner of the Breeunderbreehill I have a few comments to add.

My site has also had this issue arrive and I hope that I stoped it in its track. I consider myself to be still an active member of the Barrow Downs. I do run a separate and hopefully unique forum but I have time for both sites. Both are dedicated to Tolkien and both are open to all members. I have also supported other forums providing pictures and icons, but this will soon stop unless they stop their members openly declaring war on other sites and inciting their members to hack the Downs. This is wrong and illegal and if Mr B would like the names of the people I will happily provide them.

Tolkien sites to me are like restaurants one night you may feel like Italian while other nights you feel like Chinese. There is always room for more.

A private message for people dissatisfied with the Barrow Downs, from a happy member.

If you take issue with a site or the management of the site send a private message or e-mail to the admin for action. Please do not flame the site. Do we go to your work or school and flame you? The answer is hopefully NO
Please give other sites the curtesy and respect that you would expect for your own site and peace will prevail.

Now lets get back to important matters, Do Belrogs have wings? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:36 PM   #3
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Well, as a large-mouthed member, I would like to formally apologize for my comments about this site and its staff. I have PMed a few of my real complaints in the hope they will be adressed.

The website formerly entitled "The Anti-Barrowdowns" has upon going gold changed its name to The Bywater Forum, and all such tarnishing of the Downs previously present will end.

And, as a long standing member of this site and the concurrent forums (both EZBoard and the UBB) I would like to bow to Mithadan and the other various Mods, Admins, and loyal members.

*a graceful bow*

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:38 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Balrog wings or lack thereof are of no consequence! I am, however, extremely disappointed that recent squabbling has distracted us from the truly important issue: Orli's sex life. Please get your priorities in order so that BD-ers and members of other sites alike may all continue to gossip happily in their respective venues. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #5
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Amen
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

There is no greater disservice that anyone can do this forum than to publish offensive posts on others. Speaking personally, I find it embarrassing to read a badly-written and ill-mannered defence of something that I like, since I am damned by association. Much as I may be bored out of my mind by the private habits of well-known thespians, I have to agree that they're more entertaining than verbal abuse.

Incidentally, it is possible to combine the two topics of discussion that Lush mentioned: To my knowledge the question of whether or not Orlando Bloom has wings hasn't yet been given the attention it so richly deserves.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:33 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You kill me, Squatter, you really do. Don't make me laugh so loud when my dad is trying to sleep in a nearby room. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As to the topic at hand, I don't have much time to visit other Tolkien sites at the moment, due to my infatuation with this one. So I was somewhat shocked to read about the flaming and competition going on between websites. For heaven's sakes...why does everything have to be a competition these days?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #8
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The way I look at it, there's enough praise to go around for deserving quality Tolkien websites.

First and foremost, I spend the oliphaunt's share of my time here at the Barrow Downs. And when it comes to friendly competition, I cast my vote for Barrow Downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That said ...

Additionally, I visit the Encyclopedia of Arda for referencing general questions now and then, as well as occasionally go off to consult the Ardalambion for linguistical matters. I've looked in on Shire Post to gain a bit of whimsical insight on Hobbits and download their map of the Shire. And now, with pleasure, I can add Alkanoonion's new website Breeunderbreehill to the list, for I admire its map of Middle Earth.

And hey, from time to time I might quote an article from another Tolkien website, while of course giving due credit to the source regarding author and website. I believe that the pulling together of such knowledge from outside sources only makes for richer discussions and exchanges of information here at the Barrow Downs.

Gandalf the Grey

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:47 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

What I would like to know from Lush is: does Orli's sex life have wings?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:16 AM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

....allow me, but... Nope. The guy just DOESN'T wear enough eyeliner. Poor guy, maybe he should join a monastary.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Back to the topic, please.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:45 PM   #12
FaramirTook

Sting

Mithdan,
As a moderator of the Bywater Forum, I would personally like to thank you. I think that it's safe to say that no one likes reading negative posts. Our sites should be about having fun with Mr. Tolkien's masterpieces. How we run our sites is our own business, and none of us is in a position to call each other's ways wrong. I hope that our sites will now share peace.
Sincerely,
Faramir Took
P.S.
I will talk to Colette, our Administrator about posting a similar message.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: FaramirTook ]
Old 12-19-2002, 05:54 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Well, I have to applaud you on changing the name. It was a very good and mature thing to do.
And perhaps your site will grow more popular now that it doesn't have such a negative name and negative posts.
Well done!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:00 AM   #14
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mmph. Looks like things have been busy while I was on sabbatical. I do so love this squabbling when I'm out of the middle of it. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Why do I have this vision of children and food fights...?

I can't quite see what the devil is wrong with the new policies anyway, but perhaps that's because I've never had a post deleted or thread moved. I think more Tolkien sites is a 'good thing.'

Having the hassle of running ones own site is likely to be a good perpendicular learning curve, and more than likely to make the site owners just a little appreciative of the work involved. And perhaps a damn site (pun intended) more forgiving of the Barrow wight. It will be good for everyone.

Yes, I'm back.

-Maril

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-22-2002, 01:30 AM   #15
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Yes yes, there was indeed much squabbling, and the leaving of two or three well respected members which is quite sad. However, the resolution is in site, and everyone is attempting to be slightly mature about it.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:31 PM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Who left?

-Maril
Old 12-24-2002, 02:49 AM   #17
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

NN10, for one.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:07 PM   #18
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

I don't see the need to get mad about certain changes in a forum. As far as I know, the only changes have been in the RPG section.
I would only get mad at a site, if the Admin or mods would take shots at people who couldn't defend themselves, but since the BD administration does not engage is such things, I don't see the problem.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:41 PM   #19
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Miss Opinion has arrived*

I, personally, think that all the changes over the past year discourage people who may not really be into Tolkien from coming on and talking about...well...Orli's sex life (I'm sure that, by now, it has wings of its own...and there are enough numbers in his little black book to populate a country). But, all the changes seem to make the Downs a less-crowded place. It's a lot easier to pick out good threads to post on. Wish I could say the same about the Chat, but that's a whole other thread...
Old 12-27-2002, 06:19 PM   #20
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I ***still*** don't understand why nobody on this forum wants to start a Balrog fan thread. He's hunky, he's macho, he wears plenty of eyeliner, he's got wings (that don't work, according to the movie-- Vanime, I wonder what that says about his little black book?) but no matter, the dude is obviously HOT HOT HOT. And doggone it all, NOBODY seems to appreciate him but me and Lush. Where are the raving and swooning threads? Where are the dedicated chatrooms? Where are the crazed Mary-Sues riding off to rescue him from that dratted old Greybeard? Where, for that matter, are the catfights, and the lists of fangirls calling themselves Mrs. Balrog, or RoggysGerl? What is the MATTER with all you other BD-ers? Can't you tell a ***HOTTIE*** when you see one???

I guess I'll just have to start my own forum. Maybe I'll call it The Chasm with the password sounding suspiciously like something that old Greybeard might say. Think anybody would join? Besides me and Lush, that is.

Vanime? How about it? C'mon.

Maril, I KNOW you can appreciate real, sultry heat when you see it. Admit it, you're a closet Balrog-fan.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:09 AM   #21
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, I've never even looked at another Tolkien forum, since the Downs was the first I came across. I was referred to the "Anti-Barrow-Downs" by another Downer (I'm not going to mention any names) and was a bit put off by the format and content. Since then, I've avoided other sites...I only go the lordoftherings.net to download trailers. This is the best forum (of any topic) that I've been to, and I'd just like to thank the Barrow-wight and all the moderators and administrators for such a wonderful site.

And I also admire the Balrogs (and Orlando Bloom).
Old 12-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #22
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

KEEP YOUR FLAMES ON THE DOWNS WHERE THEY BELONG.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #23
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Did you see those muscles? The Balrog just flexes em right there on the bridge! If I were Gandalf I would have run away! Did you see the size of them? I have got to find out what he does! And that mohawk thing he's got going on! I have to get the number of his stylist! Major hottie, major hottie! The Chasm...hmmmmm...good idea...Orli's sex life? That's gotta be the shortest thread in history! Mwahahahahaha! Woooo, I crack myself up! I'm with Manwe, Balrog and Orli! My life is complete!

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #24
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

The Eye

mark12_30, it's the Balrog eyeliner that gets me right there. Wings are where it's at. He has a nice set, you know? Gives new meaning to... oh, I think I'll stop there now.

-Maril
Old 12-30-2002, 02:24 AM   #25
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
At last, we have discovered the issue of real importance here at the Downs (the Orli crack was just to see if you were paying attention): making fun of Lush's taste in men!

Why flame each other, when everyone can be united in ridiculing my hopeless dreams of eyeliner and manly wings? Maybe we can get the former anti-BD on it too!
Old 12-30-2002, 09:10 AM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lush, it's precisely the hopelessness that makes it all so poignantly ROMANTIC. (Heartfelt sigh!) We should recruit Rimbaud to write us some poetry about all this, with plenty of references to lonely stars and nightingales and easeful death. And while we're all riding off on our MagicalDragonUndefeatableSuperSteeds to rescue Roggie from Meddling Old Gandalf, hmmm, what superweapon should I use? And let's see, we should have a couple of Invincible Spells along, just in case, although naturally, our spellbinding beauty will stop the old Grey Meddler in his pathetic tracks. Ready, ladies? Off we go!In the meantime, I could open a new account with the name RoggiesGirl; what do you think? Is it me?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:44 AM   #27
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

*sighs*

Oh, Mark, you are terribly far gone aren't you? How many times must I remonstrate with you over the fact that we do not and will not have swoon rooms here?

And please do keep in mind Mithadan's comments in the first post here:

Quote:
If you like the Barrow-Downs and enjoy posting here, please just use your energies to make good posts here and make our site better
Bethberry
Old 12-31-2002, 03:52 PM   #28
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
Oh, Mark, you are terribly far gone aren't you? How many times must I remonstrate with you over the fact that we do not and will not have swoon rooms here?
Although it has been suggested on many occasions...*shudders*. They make websites for that, you know...and restraining orders. They make those for the same reason.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #29
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Hello,

What's a swoon room?

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Gs500F

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #30
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

Excuse me Mr. Barrow-wight, but may I repeat Helka's question? What is a swoon room.

I am guilty of being a member of a site that previously flamed one of the admirable mods of BDs. However, we all respect your site and will continue to post more or less respectably in it. Our apologies to the flamed mod.

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #31
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Why ask me? I didn't use the word, but it seems obvious what a swoon room is.

swoon ( P ) Pronunciation Key (swn)
intr.v. swooned, swoon·ing, swoons
To faint.
To be overwhelmed by ecstatic joy.

Many of our guests tend to swoon over their favorite actors, usually to the detriment of all others in the forum. A swoon room would be a thread or site dedicated to such emotinal spells. We don't do that here.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #32
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Well, I must say that I'm shocked. I think that the Barrowdowns is a fine community of Tolkien fans that is beneficial both in finding people that share one's love for Middle-Earth, and engaging in intelligent conversation on the books and (sometimes regrettably) the movies. It is a great way to gather together and share thoughts, feelings and ideas with others.

The tight administration of the Downs helps to make it an even better host for such a community as ours. It insures that the site serves its purpose to the fullest extent.

Iarwain
Old 05-19-2003, 12:08 PM   #33
Arvedui
Haunting Spirit

Arvedui has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
Barrow Wight said: "A swoon room would be a thread or site dedicated to such emotinal spells. We don't do that here."
And is one of many reasons I find this site a breath of fresh air!

Trashing other sites, or trashing this site elsewhere is not in the spirit of the great professor of whom all these sites claim to admire. Peace to all!

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui ]
When Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the south in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
Arvedui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #34
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Trashing other sites, or trashing this site elsewhere is not in the spirit of the grat professor of whom all these sites claim to admire. Peace to all!
Well spoken! I don't really understand why someone would go to the trouble of making an anti-(insert website name) website. No one forced them to join that first website, and no one stops them from leaving, do they? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]