The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Istari

I was wondering, how many Istari are there??5 right??If so what happened to the othere Two Blue Wizards.....What are their names??....Are the Istari Maiar???Why were they sent to ME....Did they have anything to do with Sauron??

Basically I wouldn't mind anything to with the Istari.
This topic has probably been done before and if it has can someone pleeze connect it to there since I'm not sure how to do that
Thank you??
That doesn't mean you shouldn't reply though!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Which book can i get more Info on them??
Old 11-02-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

You can get more info from: The Silmarillion
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:30 PM   #4
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unfinished Tales, Essay on the Istari, is the most important source.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

But, of course, if you don't have those....

There were five Istari: Curumno (Saruman the White), Aiwendithil (or something like that) (Radagast the Brown), Alatar the Blue, Pallando the Blue, and Olórin (Gandalf the Grey). They were Maiar sent to Middle-earth to lead the Free People to victory over Sauron.

The Ithryn Luin (Blue Wizards) went East with Saruman (far East, as in past Mordor and Khand), and never returned. Saruman did, but apparently never told anyone else what happend to them. Tolkien himself said that he didn't know what happened to them, but he "suspects that they were corrupted by Sauron" or became leaders of cults.

?? (Confusion at the last part)
Old 11-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #6
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Question:

What are Istari???

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:41 PM   #7
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Question: Have you read the previous posts?
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here is an encapsulated discussion: ISTARI
Here is another:ISTARI

But, please do read the The Unfinished Tales. It is a wonderfully written book!

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-02-2002, 08:39 PM   #9
Alcerin
Pile O'Bones

Alcerin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry, I just may be a little thick headed...but can you just tell me what or who they are?

~John 11:35~
Alcerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 01:46 AM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Click on the gold colored links I provided for you in my previous post.

You can read those brief descriptions/discussions for yourself.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:06 AM   #11
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey busybee, do you really have to use so much question marks?

Quote:
I was wondering, how many Istari are there??5 right??If so what happened to the othere Two Blue Wizards.....What are their names??....Are the Istari Maiar???Why were they sent to ME....Did they have anything to do with Sauron??
I could have done that with 5. That just makes you look so.. "Teinix"(I don't know what that's in english, it can also be "teenix")?

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:14 AM   #12
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

OK, just for the record, Istari are the Wizards
Old 11-03-2002, 09:52 AM   #13
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Silmaril

Here's a little something about Gandalf:
Gandalf

Pronunication: ga'ndalf
Meaning: 'Wand Elf' (but note that this name was given mistakenly by Men; Gandalf is a Maia, not an Elf)
Other Names: Incánus, Mithrandir, Olórin, Tharkûn
Titles: The Grey, Grey Pilgrim, Stormcrow, The White
Race: Ainur
Order: Istari (Wizards)
Quotations:"You cannot pass! I am servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow! You cannot pass!"
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

In origin a Maia of Manwë and Varda, Gandalf came to the northwest of Middle-earth after a thousand years of the Third Age had passed, with four others of his order. At the Grey Havens, Círdan entrusted him with the Red Ring, Narya, to aid him in contesting the will of Sauron. Gandalf wandered widely in Middle-earth, and learned much of its races and peoples. Unlike his fellow Wizards Saruman and Radagast, he never settled in a single place. He was instrumental in the victory of the War of the Ring, but during that conflict his body was destroyed by a Balrog, and his spirit returned into the West. The Valar sent him back to Middle-earth to complete his task. Gandalf finally left Middle-earth in 3021 (Third Age), when he departed over the sea with the Ring-bearers.

Arrival in Middle-earth

The Wizards arrived in Middle-earth after the end of the first millennium of the Third Age. They were sent by the Valar to aid Elves and Men, but none knew this but Círdan the Shipwright, Lord of the Grey Havens where their ships put in. Though Saruman was at that time the acknowledged leader of the Wizards, Círdan saw that Gandalf was in fact the greater, and secretly gave him the Red Ring Narya to aid him in his quest.

Exploration of Middle-earth

For almost 1,500 years, Gandalf wandered the northern and western regions of Middle-earth, learning of its lands and cultures. He was closest in friendship with the Elves, and especially Elrond, who had learned of his origins from Círdan.

The White Council

At almost the same time as Gandalf had arrived in Middle-earth, a dark power had appeared in southern Mirkwood, at the evil place known as Dol Guldur. After a thousand years of his wanderings, Gandalf went there and drove the darkness into the east for a while. Soon it returned, and in 2463 (Third Age), the greatest among Wizards and Elves formed a White Council, with Gandalf as a prominent member, to counter the growing threat. In 2850, he revisited Dol Guldur, to find that the power that held it had grown indeed during the eight hundred years since his last visit. He recognised the dark power now as Sauron returned, and escaped to inform the White Council. Before he escaped, though, he found Thráin II broken in the pits of Dol Guldur, and though Thráin died before Gandalf could help him, he did surrender a map and a key into the Wizard's keeping.

The Year

2941 was an important year for Gandalf. Not only did he take part in the White Council's expulsion of the Necromancer from Dol Guldur, but he also arranged for a party of Dwarves, accompanied by Bilbo Baggins, to travel to their ancient home of Erebor and free it from the dragon Smaug.

Gandalf and the Hobbits

The Hobbits first appeared in the records of Men and Elves shortly after the arrival of the Wizards, but of all the Wise, Gandalf was the only one to pay them great heed. After the foundation of the Shire, he would visit periodically and was responsible for '...quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures' (The Hobbit, Chapter 1, An Unexpected Party). Given this description, we are forced to wonder whether he had a hand in the exploits of Hildifons and Isengar Took, both of whom are recorded as having become involved in adventures of this kind.
Of all the hobbit families, Gandalf seems to have been most closely associated with the Tooks; he was a close friend of Gerontius, the Old Took (Frodo Baggins' great-grandfather), and was said to have given him a gift of magical diamond studs, which fastened and unfastened on command. After Gerontius' death in 2920 (Third Age), he was not seen in the Shire for more than twenty years, until he returned with Thorin and the Dwarves to involve Bilbo Baggins in the Quest of Erebor.

Gandalf's Appearance

Like all the Wizards, Gandalf had the appearance of an old man, who grew old slowly with the passage of the centuries. His hair was white, and his long white beard grew down below his waist. His eyebrows were particularly noticeable; they were so long and bushy that they stuck out from beneath the rim of his hat.
He dressed in a long grey cloak, which is perhaps the origin of his title 'The Grey'. He is also described as wearing a tall shady-brimmed pointed blue hat, a silver scarf, and long black boots. He carried at all times a spiked staff.

The Magic of Gandalf

Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were. As a Maia, he had many natural abilities that would seem magical to mortal races, but he also had a great store of knowledge of more 'mechanical' magic, worked through spells and incantations, and especially through the agency of his staff. It is clear that he had far greater power, especially after his return as Gandalf the White, than he ever displayed in Middle-earth.
His magical powers seem to be particularly associated with fire, a fact that is perhaps related to the Ring of Fire, Narya, that he bore.
While it is not possible to describe the limits of what Gandalf could or could not do, there are many examples of his magic within Tolkien's work including the ability to produce light from his staff. He did this not only when guiding the Company of the Ring through Moria, but also in Bilbo Baggin's hobbit-hole in The Hobbit.

Other Info :

Gandalf adopted the habit of pipe-smoking from the Hobbits. He often used his magical arts while smoking; he could change the colour of his smoke-rings, or send them in any direction he pleased.
Gandalf's preferred drink was red wine.

I found it at
MyPrecious. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Also, there's a whole section on Istari in Unfinished Tales...
Old 11-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This topic has been discussed over and over again - please use the search function to find the answers to your questions. Thread closed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote