The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Pipe Evil ones

I think that they made Boromir and Galadriel seem evil and dubious, because when i saw the movie (before i read the book) i came out seriously thinking that Boromir or Aragorn (i kept confusing them) had turned evil and Galadriel was just freaky and also weird. I wonder, is it just me, or does anyone else agree with me?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the way they did Boromir. Sure he wanted the Ring badly at first, but he could not help it, and he kind of 'repented' at the end.<BR>Now Galadriel is a very different case. I also think she was freaky, but perhaps in the Extended Version they will put some scenes that would help with her not seem so scary.<BR>~M
Old 09-09-2002, 02:15 PM   #3
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I thought she looked scary too,Boromir was done right,Aragorn gave looks sometime like he was evil, but i have read the books so i i knew he wasn't.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #4
the_lord_of_change

Sting

Galadriel is an Elf, Elfs are weird poeple you know... <P>Boromir was done right on the part that he gets obsessed by the Ring. But I tought that Boromir was an incredible strong men and looked like a Giant of a man. Know the Actor (Don't know the name at the moment) did a good job but he doesn't look like the Giant of a man I thought Boromir was.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir seems kind of evil even in the books so there is not much hope for him in the movie.<P>Galadriel: I know people who didn't read the books but saw the movie and thought that she was a bad guy. THat should not happen. It is O.K. for her to be freaky but she should not seem so .. evil. She is definatly a good person. Even if she is an elf.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:55 PM   #6
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lord of the change, the actor who played Boromir is the great Sean Bean who is from my home town of Sheffield. I found it really funny when he said, "We must take the Gap of Rohan and take the East road to my city!" I thought he could be talking about Sheffield rather than Minas Tirith.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

Boroimir wasn't evil, but was just compled to try and help his people. As stated in the movie his people have been dying keeping the ever growing forces of mordor at bay. As a good future Stewart af the area he wishes to help his people. That is why he craves the ring. At the end when the frodo leaves he is aware of what he has done. the ring lso wants Boromir to have it because he would take it and try and beat Saurmon, he would loose and the evil lord woul have the ring back<BR>
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir isn't evil per say, but I still don't like im because of what he did to poor Frodo. Boromir was power hungry like his father. If he lived he would have been just like his father, who was willing to kill himself and his son. Also, anyone who dosn't like gandalf or aragorn is just not cool.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:34 PM   #9
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why does everyone not like the movie Galadriel? I thought she was perfect. She is supposed to come across the way she did.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:16 PM   #10
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

This is my opinion:<BR>To me in the book, Galadriel was kind and beautiful.<BR>In the movie she seemed more sinister and mysteroius.<P>I like the Galadriel in the book more.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:30 PM   #11
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

...I agree with Morai-I thought Galadriel was much gentle in the book. I didn't like Celeborn much too-he didn't deliver his lines as well as i expected
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:58 PM   #12
nevfeniel

Eye

When my mom saw the movie for the first time with me, she kept leaning over and asking if Galadriel was bad. I kept telling her that all the elves in the movie are good, but until she read the book, I don't think she quite believed me.<p>[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 09-12-2002, 06:38 PM   #13
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

heh-I know just how you feel lol
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:34 PM   #14
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I thought Boromir was done perfectly. <BR>I also like the Galadriel in the movie. It might not have been exactly how she seemed in the book, but I actually like the movie version better, makes her more mysterious.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 02:12 PM   #15
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Jackson did a great job with both Boromir and Galadriel.<P>Tolkien, himself, was a bit uncertain about the character of Galadriel. At one point (probably before he wrote LotR) Tolkien portrayed her as an ambitious elf who wanted to forge for herself a realm in Middle Earth. She rebelled against the Valar because of this desire (though she did not join with Feanor), and she was banned from returning to the west. This seems to be the notion that Tolkien had in mind when he wrote the LotR, and the test of the ring is what finally redeemed her in the eyes of the Valar. Elsewhere, though, Tolkien is more kind to Galadriel, especially in writings he jotted down after he wrote LotR. To be sure her character is a sticking point.<P>Jackson, however, was inclined toward Tolkien’s notion of an ambitious elf in exile, seeking redemption, and being tempted otherwise. Kate Blanchet brilliantly portrayed an aloof, fallen and world weary character walking a thin line between the darkness of Middle Earth’s doom and the bliss of Valinor.<P>Jackson also portrayed, in my mind, an excellent Boromir. Boromir was torn between the wisdom of this world, and the wisdom of God, to put it in a biblical way. He was a good man, inclined to “goof off” with the hobbits, but also tempted beyond measure by a seemingly unlimited source of power that he thought could save his troubled people. He was convincing as a good man tempted to justify the means by the end.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:33 PM   #16
sea-elf

Sting

Boromir: He is much better portrayed in the movie than in the book. The book Boromir is a proud, almost arrogant man, proud of his lineage and his home. He thinks of his line, the Stewards, as true rulers, in place of an absentee king who'll never come back. But he is also hasty and above discretion. When the Company leaves Rivendell, Boromir decides to blow his horn for all the valley to hear, be it friend or foe. He also does some rather foolish things like throw rocks into the Moria water (which was done by the hobbits in the movie). PJ did a great job in extracting the human side of Boromir and downplaying his faults, making him more sympathetic. Both are not evil men, just made the wrong choices.