The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
nevfeniel

Eye Who thinks Celeborn should have had a bigger role?

In the movie, Celeborn dissapointingly had only one line in the movie.<BR>Everybody, please don't think I'm nitpicking, but really! In the book, Celeborn was more than just a guy who happened to be married to Galadriel.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Question

A lot of the lines Galadriel said in the movie were actually Celeborn's words in the book. Let's hope he gets a bigger part in TTT.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:18 PM   #3
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Sting

Yeah, I think Celeborn should have had more lines. As I remember, Galadriel was kind, Celeborn was more serious.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:54 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I agree. Celeborn was an important Elf who happened to be married to the most important Elf. In no way would giving Celeborn some more lines have hurted Galadriel's importance.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:58 AM   #5
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Question

As I recall, Celeborn was rather stern with Gimli. It gave Galadriel an opportunity to speak of Gimli's people. It also explained the elf-dwarf hatred that was going on. I do hope they include more of it. That was a splendid dialog.<p>[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-17-2002, 06:42 PM   #6
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was disappointed in the portrayal of both Celeborn and Galadriel, actually. It seemed like they were kind of... stoic. I remember Sam remarking of the elven queen that she could seem at times "like a hobbit lass with daisies in her hair". I took that to mean that elves can seem both old and young at the same time--a lot of range in the voice, I guess. In all fairness, Cate DID portray that pretty well, but I guess too much emphasis was made on having her seem so formidible and scary for my liking. (I also didn't like the bit about Nenya being left out, but that's another topic, I guess.) As for Celeborn--poor guy. He really got jipped in the movie. He never had a chance to "seem" like anything. Maybe in the Ext. edition DVD he'll speak a little more, and maybe get to develop his character a little more fully. For being the King of the Elves and having a substantial role in the books, he kind of came off like an extra. <P>Well, that's my two cents. Feel free to contridict me!<P>-'Vana<p>[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

...I strongly agree on this topic!-Celeborn was an elf-king for goodness sakes!-I liked Celeborn more in the book...He was more "kingly" then...<P>-Now on Galadriel...She would've me been more gentle on the opening to Lothlorien...-like in the book
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:38 PM   #8
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You'll have your wish. The extended DVD is expected to have mention of Galadriel's ring. Good. <P>In defiance of the title of this thread (do please forgive me) I don't think Celeborn needed to have a larger role. Far more interesting things were left out: such as the company being blindfolded, and the rope bridge over the river.<P>-Maril
Old 09-18-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
Kueronez

Silmaril

I suppose he should. But in the movie, he looks horrible! He looks too sissy in those flowy robes. And he has a serious speech impediment! Listen carefully next time you watch the movie!<P>Namarie!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Tolkien

I know Celeborn is an Elven king and all, but was he really that important to the plot of the movie? If he had been given a bigger part, those who have only had the movie as an experience with LOTR would probably be confused or frustrated with another name and person to figure out. I would rather more important scenes had been in the movie than Celeborn talking. Anyway, I didn't mean to be abrupt or rude or anything.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:12 PM   #11
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Question

But i thought on the wave byebye scene you could see nenya? or is that just me?