The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2002, 02:22 PM   #41
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond frightened me
Old 08-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #42
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

i totally agree here, i mean did anyone else cringe when he started saying "i was there, 3000 years ago" i mean it's almost like something out of crossroads (corny british soap opera!) i can't picture him as elrond, i picture him as the dude in the matrix. ahhh!!! and that hairband......

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:15 PM   #43
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Ok, I feel completely outnumbered in that I thought Arwen was good casting...I thought Liv Tyler played her really well!<P>Elrond...I do agree with the regal, wise, sort of thing. The receding hairline was a little off though. And I kind of expected an odd Matrix line from time to time. I thought PJ casted everyone really really well, and we shouldn't complain.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:33 AM   #44
Necromancer of Mirkwood

The Eye

I think that PJ's script had Elrond being, in some ways, totally unsympathetic to the plight of Men. Thats sort of surprising considering his twin brother became Elros Tar-Minyatur of Numenor as well as much of his extended family being from the houses of the Edain of the 1st Age. <P>They also meseed up the relationship between Elrond and Aragorn: the Story of Arwen and Aragorn comes to mind. If Aragorn was raised as Estel for 20 years of his life and then spent times as Thorongil in the South, then why in the name of Holy Heck would he have "strayed from the path set before him long ago".<P>I will say that The Last Alliance Eldar grew on me. Just wish they had included more of Gil-Galad's part.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:02 AM   #45
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting

I was concerned there for a bit, when everyone seemed to be dissing poor Elrond. I never gave Matrix a thought seening him in this role. Thought he was fabulous. I love his speech ... "they are scatter, divided, leaderless"... and then when he says, "... he gave up that title along time ago.." (something like that.) He looks kind of regretful that mankind seems to have diminished somehow. <BR>Anyway, leave him alone!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:43 AM   #46
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

elrond was great in the film, he was portrayed fantastically just like every other character! PJ got it perfect! as usual!
Old 08-30-2002, 07:49 AM   #47
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Now people, give the poor elf a break! I personally agree with Makadilwen and the others. As far as I am concerned, In bith movie and books Elrond is one of the most gorgeous creatures in Middle-earth.(read the description of him in FOTR book two, chapter 1). You can keep Legolas as far as I care. Though in the books he did smile a little more. Oh well.<BR>Hear! Hear! Tigerlilly, that's the term I was looking for Much Wisdom. <BR>Thank you Kalimac!!! If I hear one more Agent Elrond joke I don't know what I'll do. <BR>Yeah the hair issue. I like the hair. Ny problem is how come his hair looks so cool but when I try to do it that way it looks dorky??<BR>Tinted contacts??? I thought those blue eyes WERE contacts!!! I thought most of the "elves" were wearing blue contacts. (Elves are supposed to have grey eyes JRRT said so)<BR>I agree with all Earendil said (BTW did you know they pronounce your name wrong in the movie???) But when the book says that Galadriel's voice was "lower than a woman's wont" it definitely Cate Balnchett I think of.<BR>Yes Lomelinde, Incredibly pretty!! <P>Umm in the last alliance, When that elf arrow goes through Elrond"s hair and misses his head by centimeters, d<BR>do you think that was in the script???<P>(BTW I have the same eyebrow problems. A bit too much at times)<BR>Vinyamarien!!!! You are my new best friend!!! Ok so yeah he was a little bitter about men, but if you had pleaded with dumb ol' Isildir to destroy the Ring and he didn't what would you do?? Yeah, and the little teeny smile when talking with Sam, that was good.<BR>When Sam rund into the council and then Merry and Pippin seem to come from nowhere, Elrond has this look on his face like "Where are they going to pop out from next??"<BR>KingCArlton!!!! Long time no see!!! I agree not all elves are dainty, but Elrond was pretty in his own right.<BR>HAirline shmairline!!!! A broad forehead denotes intelligence!!!! Don't you know that???<BR>Yes nurananr Majestic, sad, and FULL of wisdom. <BR>Is anyone besides me mad that he got to say only ONE line of elvish????<BR>Oh as for unsymapthetic to men, I saw a sneak peek at what's coming in TTT and Elrond says "If we cannot trust in the sternght of men we can trust in the victory of Sauron" so he changes a little.<P>Sorry for rambling, just telling all people personally what I think.<P>Long Live Lord Elrond!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:25 AM   #48
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

I actually didn't really have a problem with him. I'm okay with the way they did him.<P>But I guess it's true that a lot of people didn't like it. My sister and cousins think he looks too much like a bad guy. They say it's hard to see him as a good guy. :/
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:39 AM   #49
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Were those eyes of his tinted contacts? Or Does Hugo Weaving have blue eyes??
Old 09-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #50
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

I've seen some pics of the actor himself and I'm pretty sure that he has blue eyes since his eyes appear to be blue in those pics as well.<BR>You never know for sure though because perhaps he wears coloured contacts in real life. :/
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 06:22 PM   #51
Iarwen

Silmaril

I have to admit, Elrond looked exactly how i pictured him, but the way he acted made him seem not as nice as the hobbit and FOTR portrayed him to be.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:30 PM   #52
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm pretty happy about the way that Elrond was cast. I liked his eyebrows though!!! Probably the only one too!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:15 PM   #53
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Elrond was well cast, eyebrows and all. Remember, Elrond had the blood of man in him even though he chose to be counted among the Eldar, therefore the receding hairline, which I though was a nice touch. And Men were weak, Isildur was weak and so was Eanur, the line of kings would not have floundered in Gondor if that one had resisted the challenge of the Witch-king and had not rode off to Minas Morgul in challenge. Elrond Rules!
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 08:00 PM   #54
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Tolkien

Hugo Weaving was the perfect Elrond! I kind of liked the...er...Spock-ish eyebrows. In the books, Elrond was one of the three Elves that didn't drive me raving mad (Legolas and Haldir were the two others). <BR>I do not think Liv Tyler was a very good Arwen. But then again, Liv Tyler isn't one of my favorite actresses either, so it could be persoanl grudge. But anyway, Blanchett as Galadriel bothered me... but I never liked Galadriel anyway. And on the topic of Elves...in the movie, Haldir looked a little...er...stuck up. He sent of this air of "I'm an elf and you're not, so get over it--or I will kill you." It was frightening. <BR>Back to Elrond, I loved that he was not "pretty." It showed me that he's been there, done that, and doesn't want to see it happen again, but it's beyond his control and he's going to do his best to help the people who are now directly involved.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:03 AM   #55
Ban

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've seen some pics of the actor himself and I'm pretty sure that he has blue eyes since his eyes appear to be blue in those pics as well.<BR>You never know for sure though because perhaps he wears coloured contacts in real life. :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just in case anyone still wants to know: Hugo Weaving does have blue eyes in real life, he doesn't wear color contacts, but wears regular contacts for seeing better.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:23 AM   #56
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Well, I'm sure glad I saw FOTR before I saw the Matrix. I didn't even know that Hugo played a bad guy until I saw that movie! So, when I did see it, I couldn't see Agent Smith being that bad of guy. I just kept seeing good ol' Elrond.

I think Hugo did a good job portraying Elrond, though I think that the makeup artists could have done a little better with his hair. I just can't imagine elves having receding hairlines!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:10 PM   #57
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally, I was horrified to see how Elrond was portrayed in FOTR. He didn't look anything like I imagined, more like he was a Vulcan from Star Trek. While I had problems with the way other characters looked (noticably, Aragon, too young looking), Elrond is the only one I really feel very strongly about. Does anyone else feel like this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I did but my problem came not with Elrond but rather with the movie's version of Galadriel! She was just way too sinister in the movie for me!<P>However I did like Elrond though it killed me watching his scenes as I saw Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith in <B>The Matrix</B> before seeing LOTR and I was a little afraid he'd start talking like Agent Smith! Had he done so I think I would have screamed!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:52 AM   #58
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Well, I wear regular contacts too, If i didn't have some sort of eye correction, i would be in large amounts of trouble!<P>Speaking of Elrond, have any of you ever seen Bashki's version? I was so glad for Hugo Weaving after I saw that!<P>Fortunately, I haven't seen The MAtrix YET, I will soon hopefully. But, like Brinniel, it will still br good old Elrond!!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:04 AM   #59
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't get it! <BR>Agent Smith is a character in "The Matrix" and Elrond is a character in "LOTR". So they're played by the same actor. And that's where all similarities stop. <BR>Why can't people seperate those two movies? <BR>When you see Ian McKellen as Gandalf, you don't think about his psycho character in "Richard III"... <BR>Or when you see Ian Holm as Bilbo, you don't automatically think of him as the evil, psychotic android in "Alien"... <P>How come people can't seperate Hugo Weaving's characters? They're nothing like each other.<P><B>Leave my Elrond alone!!!!</B> <P>To be completely honest, when everybody else thought "The Matrix", I thought "Priscilla, queen of the desert"... <p>[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 10-07-2002, 09:28 AM   #60
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I thought Elrond sort of looked like an indian, with all those beads and stuff in his hair.... I thought Hugo Weaving did a good job acting, <I>he´s</I>not responsible for his costume. <BR>The rest of the cast was pretty cool. Gandalf, Arwen, Saruman, Galadriel(not many people think so), Sam and Pippin were brilliantly casted. Frodo(even though he did give me the creeps, Aragorn ,Merry and Gimli were ok... I didn´t like Lego, though. Whatever. <BR>keep smiling, everyone- a month and ten days to TTT!!!!!!!