The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which race is Gothmog?
Nazgul 14 32.56%
Man 5 11.63%
Orc 15 34.88%
Other 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gothmog as Pat

Ninja raised a question on this thread that I believe would make a fun poll. So what is Gothmog? It's never clearly stated or even hinted as to what race he is. So what do you believe and why? To be clear this is the Gothmog of the third age.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I voted for Gothmog as Nazgul. (which I suppose would also make him Man, of sorts). I know there is no evidence to either support or decry this view of him, but I have never imagined him as anything else in thirty years of reading/re-reading. I was actually surprised that anyone ever considered him to be anything else.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye my explanation

To explain myself for voting other, I cant see a good explanation as to how he could be a Nazgul. Yes, the Witch King being the captain could very well make a Nazgul being Lieutenant logical, but I think that Tolkien would not have made it such a mystery if it was really that simple.

And orc? I cant say that I think one orc would rise up to be the lieutenant of the Morgul-Host without being mentioned before. That is a pretty high rank.

If he was a man, I think he would have to be one of the Black Numenoreans, because I cannot think of another big race of men so high up in Sauron's mind (i.e. the Mouth of Sauron).

That's just my opinion though. For all we know, it could have been Tom Bombadil in disguise.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...

Last edited by ninja91; 11-21-2006 at 06:28 AM.
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
I voted for Gothmog as Nazgul. (which I suppose would also make him Man, of sorts). I know there is no evidence to either support or decry this view of him, but I have never imagined him as anything else in thirty years of reading/re-reading. I was actually surprised that anyone ever considered him to be anything else.
Really? Myself, I am actually surprised that someone even thought about him being a nazgul. Just wonderful! I mean, I love this plurality of opinions. Myself, when I saw the option "nazgul" in the poll, I thought: ah, interesting, but don't think anyone will go for it. From my point, I could say who I don't think he is. As I feel it, I cannot imagine Gothmog as:
simple "snaga" - this would certainly be quite embarassing
skurut-hai - well... maybe... but since he is too high-ranked, it would be very improbable. Certainly not that guy from the movie. No, never.
black númenorean - that's too high for him. Although after some thinking about it he might be something like that, from the first sight his name does not fit with it, I imagine something more "rough" than númenoreans (even black)
nazgul - as above. And anyway, Gothmog would hardly be his true name when he was still Man - but no one says nazgul keep their names when they fade out.
easterling - sucks
southron - sucks
variag of Khand - same as above
or whatever else of these men;
So it seems Gothmog is maybe troll - lol - probably olog-hai, or some hyperbrutal barbarian of far East beyond the maps of Middle-earth. If you ask what I imagined when reading that part where he is mentioned, I imagined just the rush of battle and some unspotted one Gothmog standing between thousands of Easterlings, Variags of Khand and black men of Far Harad. He's just Gothmog: he is what we is. Which brings me to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
For all we know, it could have been Tom Bombadil in disguise.
Talking about that, I'd consider him something like Tom Bombadil for the dark side. See: certainly powerful and mighty person (as Bombadil is in the terms of those who look at him without more deeper thoughts about who he is), not mentioned before and not mentioned after, but considerable for the course of the events.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Even though I agree that it would make some sense that Gothmog was a Nazgul, but, somehow, I can't imagine him as such, just like Legate.

He surely was no simple orc, maybe some mighty orc captain, but I doubt it. He would have had the strength and authority needed, but he still would have been no more trustworthy than any orc.

I always imagined him as some sort of Black Numenorean, or some other human of a nobler kind long under the power of Sauron. (Earnur? )

What I think we can rule out is that he was something else. I mean, come on, just look at how much joy Tolkien obviously had when he described such things, the description of the Fell Beasts, for example. If Gothmog was something else what we didn't knew then, he would have told us and he would have described him to us, gloomy and vaguely, and the lines would have been little gems of the trilogy.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Gothmog was portrayed as a Nazgul in a LotR wargame which I used to play many years ago (and which I still have) and I have accordingly thought of him as such ever since.

Simple reasoning for a simple soul.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've always just assumed that Gothmog was a Nazgul -- I mean, it's pretty clear, isn't it, that the Nazgul are the worst and most powerful of Sauron's servants. It doesn't make sense that there could be an orc or even a powerful Man who somehow supercedes 8 of the 9...I mean:

Orc -- debased and broken slaves; quarrel amongst themselves; stupid. Given the sample orcs we've seen, can you imagine a creature like that ordering around a Nazgul?

Men -- better than orcs, but Nazgul are Men corrupted by and enhanced with a Ring of Power: why, if you are a Nazgul, have as your second in command a Ringless Man when you can have a Ringed Man?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Gothmog was portrayed as a Nazgul in a LotR wargame which I used to play many years ago (and which I still have) and I have accordingly thought of him as such ever since.

Simple reasoning for a simple soul.
Really! Someone better tell them they made a mistake!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
black númenorean - that's too high for him. Although after some thinking about it he might be something like that, from the first sight his name does not fit with it, I imagine something more "rough" than númenoreans (even black)
Too 'rough' a name? Morgoth entrusted the chief of his highest demons to be named 'Gothmog', and you think it is too rough a name?!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am not a native English speaker, but I was under the assumption that "rough" means, well, something like a rock, you know. I don't see why Gothmog the Balrog, hard, cruel etc., wouldn't be called like that. But what I intended to say by it... how to say it the best... well, for example: I wouldn't name an Elf "Rughagrog", as well as I wouldn't name an Orc "Lin-Lothiellin". The same way I wouldn't name a black Númenorean Gothmog. This is only my opinion however.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
I am not a native English speaker, but I was under the assumption that "rough" means, well, something like a rock, you know. I don't see why Gothmog the Balrog, hard, cruel etc., wouldn't be called like that. But what I intended to say by it... how to say it the best... well, for example: I wouldn't name an Elf "Rughagrog", as well as I wouldn't name an Orc "Lin-Lothiellin". The same way I wouldn't name a black Númenorean Gothmog. This is only my opinion however.
Hmm. Yes, I suppose that makes sense. Although the Mouth of Sauron is a Black Numenorean and 'Sauron' means 'abhorrent'.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I put Nazgul because it does seem most logical that the Lieutenant would be Nazgul as we know that they were present at the battle. If it were of another race I believe Tolkien would have stated.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Who is Pat? or should that be what?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Who is Pat? or should that be what?
Sorry, it's an old skit from Saturday Night Live. Pat was of unknown gender and the comedy was he/she was put in comical situations relating to guessing gender but nobody ever knew. I thought it rather funny.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
meh, after the fiasco of how Robin Duke and Tony Rosato were handled, it was all downhill from there.

oh but now what Gothmog lines come to mind . . .
Old 11-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Hammond and Scull note in the LotR Reader's Companion, on page 566, that Gothmog is more likely the second in command to the witch-king, who is sometimes called Morgul-lord. Also, in a rejected version of the battle of the Pellenor Fields, found in HoME VIII, it is stated that all the nazgul fled after their leader was killed (but in LotR, Gothmog brings new troops out of Osgiliath). I believe that he was an orc of some sort; in Myths Transformed, the Men-orcs are said to be "large and cunning", therefore having the "qualities" necessary for leadership.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, I personally think that Gothmog was a man because well it doesn't say, but I think that just fits the role better than an orc or even a Nazgul, because who would've been the commander of Sauron's armies when the Nazgul was away, he most certainly wouldn't trust an orc!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You seem to be under the impression that the WK was away often. It was not so. As far as we know, he permanently stayed in Minas Morgul from TA 2002 till TA 3018. And then Sauron sent him (and the rest of the nazgul) for the Ring - thus the WK was absent from June till November 3018 - only 5 months in a thousand years.
Sauron may have appointed someone as head of the army to replace the WK for these 5 months, but surely before the actual war new arrangements were made.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
sreeja

My vote is for others.