The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye help, on a trivia....

well my youth group message board, has a lord of the rings trivia each week, and theirs 3 parts to this one:

1. "what are the palantir ?"-this one is easy

2. "who are the eldar ?"- ive only found one mention of these in my index, but it looks like they are from across the seas

3."where are the remaining palantir ?"-i know theirs one in isengaurd, and i think theirs another either in , minas morgul, or minas ithil. this is probobly the hardest for me
Old 06-05-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Mae Govannen,Gayare'dion , Welcome to the Downs.

The Eldar are the Elves. But,you'll have to get someone more learned than me to answer the "Where are all the Palantiri" question.I would not be able to account for all 7.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 06-05-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

thankyou
Old 06-05-2002, 06:08 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs!

Palantěr - 'That which looks far away'
The seven seeing stones of Eldamar made by Fëanor of the Noldor. they were brought to middle earth by Elendil the Tall

Eldar - 'People of the Stars'
The eldest of all Free Peoples of Middle Earth were the elves; the noblest of these were known as the Three Kindreds or Eldar. They were the elves who answered the call of the Valar to come to the Farthest West. They all made the journey to the western shore of Middle Earth, but the Sindar elected to stay there, while the Noldor and the First Kindred went across the sea.

What happened to the palantěri?
When they arrived in ME they were kept at Annuminás, Amon Sűl, the Tower Hills in Arnor, Osgiliath, Orthanc, Minas Ithil, and Minas Anor.

1.) Palantěr of Ogiliath disappeared when the Dome of Stars was destroyed during the Kin-strife.
2 - 3.) The Stones of Amon Sűl and Annűminas were lost in the Ice Bay.
4.)The Stone of Minas Ithil was captured by Sauron when the Ringwraiths took the Tower of the Moon.Destroyed in the Fall of Barad-důr.
5.)The Stone of Orthanc was held by Saruman at Orthanc.Came into the keeping of the King of Gondor for use during the Fourth Age.
6.)The Stone of Minas Tirith(Minas Anor) was held by Denethor, but controlled by Sauron.Don't know what eventually happened to it/do know it became unusable.
7.)Only the Palantěr of the Tower Hills remained out of the hands of evil. It was eventually taken by Cěrdan back to the West at the end of the Third Age.

That is probably more than you wanted to know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

thanks much!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:52 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Palantěr - 'That which looks far away'
The seven seeing stones of Eldamar made by Fëanor of the Noldor. they were brought to middle earth by Elendil the Tall
There were more than seven seeing stones. The masterstone of all these is on Eresseä, the Lonely Isle. I heard mentioned also that Feänor maid the Palantiri. Well, that's all I have to say, only that there are more stones, but not on M-e (at least, no more are mentioned).

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote