The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2002, 07:53 AM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting LOTR WARHAMMER

Have any of you ever played the Lord of the Rings Warhammer game. What do you think of it.

Personally I think its pretty good and the models are good, although exortionate(sp).
Old 11-16-2002, 08:59 AM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I haven't played it myself but my brother's really into Games Workshop stuff (right now he's collecting Tau) and has been pondering over whether he should buy some LOTR or not cause he says they're really nice when painted right. He's been to the bunker and seen pro painted ones though.... ooo 'pondering' love that word.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
Dúnethalath Taurendor
Pile O'Bones

Dúnethalath Taurendor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I play Warhammer fantasy (woodies and former empire). I've even created my own army once. I also play mordheim and we're starting of playing inquisitor with the clan, but that's not full yet.
I haven't played the GW lotr, since I think it's lame and not at all an original or fun game to play. But the models are mostly cool (except the orcs, of course, but that's because the movie orcs suck), and we've got a balrog participating in Inquisitor and I'm thinking about buying Sauron to convert it, or some other cool guy.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #4
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Oooh Wargamers lurking on the Downs....

Exceellent [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

(Rumil unfurls his cloak and revals.. no... shock-horror.... a wargamer lurking underneath [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )

I've been a wargamer as long as I've been a Tolkien fan (which is a LONG time). I use a number of historical miniatures armies and have dabbled a bit in fantasy. I haven't bought the LoTR rules yet, they seem very expensive for a rather simple system which (I've heard) is inferior to many already available. I used to play Reaper from TTG which was the precursor to Warhammer, then played quite a bit of Warhammer v1.0. I gravitated away from Games Workshop (Citadel as it was then) when they put the figures up to an extortionate 50p each! I do quite like the Warhammer Ancients rules and I think it could be possible to integrate the necessary fantasy rules into these.

I must say the new Games Workshop LoTR figures look excellent (though I don't like those weird spears the elves use - I blame Jackson). The old Mithril Miniatures LoTR range is also worth looking out for.

I've been thinking of posting some Middle Earth battle scenarios. Is anyone likely to be interested if I get round to it?
Old 11-18-2002, 04:34 AM   #5
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I'd be interested in scenarios.
What are all the other rules ive heard about.
Dont know much.

And what are Citadel competitors, never heard of any. Please reply.

(not very good message, at college)