Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #121
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oops. Thanks, I'll check it out and maybe fix, depending on what I think of Eodwine's state of mind.

EDIT: I've fixed it and left the mistake in such that Falco corrects him with appropriate "face saving" banter between the two.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 03-02-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #122
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'll get a post off tonight with Lin calming down after her stressful day...

Eventually Eodwine and Lin are going to have to sit down, maybe with Marenil tomorrow morning, and get straight what's going on with the two of them, since the original plans have necessarily changed.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #123
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now you've done it, Fea

I'm going to have some real fun with my next post, as soon as I can figure out what I want to do with this.....

Might as well store my information here as well as anywhere. Maybe you guys can benefit from it this way too. Not near enough here to go on, but it's a start.

Google search phrase: 'Medieval Dance'

Varieties of Medieval Dance

---taken from
here

Branles - circle or line dance formation

* Washerwoman’s Branle - a very easy dance that reflects the aspects of women in medieval life.
* Maltese Branle - a simple remake of a dance inspired by the Knights of Malta’s visit to the Middle East.
* Official Branle (also known as toss the duchess) - A fun circle dance that involves trading partners!
* Branle Charlotte - a more difficult circle dance that involves stepping and kicking to various changing beats.

Rounds

* Sellingers Round - a very catchy and lively circle dance done in the verse and chorus style of dancing.

Dance Styles - - taken from here

* Basse Dance
* Bassa Danza
* Ballo
* Pavanne
* Galliard/Tourdion
* Measure
* Allemande
* Branle
* Country Dance

Courtly Dances

* Black Alman - a sedate processional dance that would have been done in entrance to many courts. 17th century.
* Black Nag - a livelier dance for three couples that employs the verse and chorus style of country-dance. Playford 1670.
* Rufty Tufty - a two couple dance with many turns in it. Would have been done in ballrooms where the sets of people would interconnect. Playford 1651.

Other dances

* Salterello - a hopping and aerobic dance reconstructed as best as we can from lithographs and sketches. Music 1400, Dance early 15th century or earlier?
* Prince William - a very complicated country style dance that involves a double mirror hay (figure 8 in mirror formation changing lines) English Country 1731.

Easy Steps(not true medieval but you take what you can get):

A single takes 2 beats, and is one step forward and a second step to bring the feet together.

A double is three steps forward and a fourth step to bring the feet together.

A slipping circle is done in a circle with the dancers all facing inwards and holding hands: the dancers step sideways to the left or the right without turning their hips.

A sashay involves a couple facing each other holding both hands, and moving sideways with a step identical to that used in a slipping circle.

When arming, the dancing couple grips each other's elbows with one hand, and uses two doubles to walk in a circle. Arming always appears in pairs; we adopt the convention of calling for arming left and then right.

When siding, the dancing couple advances with a double until they are next to each other with their shoulders parallel, and then use a double to return to place.

The set and turn single step involves a single to one side, a single to return to place, and then a turn in place using a double.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 03-02-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #124
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

On Bailliffs, Stewards, and Almbudsmen

Folwren and I have been talking about the Steward role at the Mead hall. So I'm posting this here to keep everybody abreast of what I'm thinking.....

'Steward' and 'bailliff' are Anglo to Norman cognates (means the words are directly related from one language to the other) BUT ----> they don't mean the same thing.

A steward is second in command to a king or lord, and has a much higher position than the bailliff has, which is a more limited and legal role.

I've been meaning to split the job of Steward of the Eorling Mead Hall in two. The two jobs would be "steward" and "almbudsman". The almbudsman is a gatherer of fees and fines, and an enforcer of the law - actually much closer to what a bailliff does.

And now we have Marinel, Jenny Hallu's second character, who can slide right into the position (after a while). So what Folwren and I have agreed to is that Thornden will, at the end of one month's trial period, say that the job of steward is not the best fit for him, for whatever reasons Folwren decides to give Thornden. Eodwine will agree to Thornden's request to be almbudsman. Sound good?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #125
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice post, Anguirel. (#90)

I'm wondering if it's in the right spot? I'd like to find some place for it between, say, post 65 and - oh..... - say 75. But I can't figure out the best spot for it.

Then there's the difficulty of needing to go back and edit our posts in order to create the appropriate responses to the song..... *LMP scratches head* Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #126
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, LMP, I've reached an island of sanity, serenity, and running so smooth it makes you drift into a pleasant half-slumber accentuated by a faint aroma of mango and a feeling of lychee juice being trickled, drop by drop, into the mouth.

Ahem. Anyway. I think it's perhaps alright where it is. I do have the hours getting darker as Manawyth strums and ponders.

I hope no-one minds the rip-off. I just love that ballad, it's beautiful and if I hadn't cried over it at night countless times as a child, I'd undoubtedly be doing so now. Sir Patrick Spens, unfortunate sea-captain, you made me who I am...

Manawyth seems to be Scottish as well as Welsh. That's life I suppose...
Old 03-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #127
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
If Ang's post is to be left where it is, could I have a post inserted above it? I had started a post earlier (it should be done this evening sometime), and was hoping to enter Leof during the time of merriment...
Old 03-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #128
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Actually, scratch that. I can make it fit in afterwards.

I can see where both LMP and Ang are coming from. In the midst of the impromptu "party" the dark song does not seem to fit, but given Manawyth's character, it could work.

Anyhow, I've written my post assuming that it will stay as it is. I can just as easily change it if it is moved back up earlier in the day. I do think that it would be extremely difficult to change Leof's and Garwine's conversation about Manawyth in the middle of said posts (64-75), though.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #129
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

We can leave it where it is. Anguirel, you actually refer to darkness perhaps a bit early, for supper time (in my thinking) is right around six hours past noon, and darkness does not arrive in early spring (in the relatively Gallic climes of Rohan) until more than seven hours past noon.

Anyway, we can dovetail the solemnity of Manawyth's ballad with Saeryn's sudden pain and her halfhearted offer to dance with Falco.

I still have to read Firefoot's latest post, so this post doesn't account for what she's written.

Just want to add: great writing all around. This is my favorite haunt on the Barrowdowns.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #130
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Sorry, lmp, I was confused about suppertime too...In the American South, where I'm living, suppertime occurs around 8-9...they eat late down here. In the American Midwest, where I grew up, we don't have supper at all...the last meal of the day is always referred to as dinner.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #131
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Maybe my East Coast origin is raising its head with "supper".

8 to 9? Eegads, that's late!

But more accurate if we're dealing with an agrarian culture; the last meal wouldn't be served up until after the work day was done, which would be at sundown. Consider it so in Edoras, instead of my *ahem* American middle class instincts.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #132
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Funny, LMP; I always thought you were Dutch?

Anyway, um, 8 to 9 sounds fine, and things seem to be going extremely well. To be honest I was a bit in despair about catching up with Manawyth, but when I started writing-as so often-it came easily...
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #133
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Funny, LMP; I always thought you were Dutch?
My fault. My grandparents would be so happy. Part of the American thing, that. All four of my grandparents came over from the Netherlands close to the turn of the 20th century. I'm Dutch-American, born in Brooklyn, NY, USA. (1 216th Huguenot (sp?) too)
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #134
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

ROTFL! Good one, Jenny!

A lusty faux pax, or however you spell it. I'll be interested in Saeryn's reaction to that!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #135
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Then go see it! An imitation of Saucie's infamous reactions if ever there was one.

"Me? Married? WHAT!?!?"
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #136
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Yeah, yeah, like I'll buy that...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #137
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah, a perceptive one. Saeryn? Having a sweetheart before she took off? What?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #138
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Oh my, a secret lover...my dear Fea, Lin may be perceptive, but she is of course not so rude as to say anything. Besides, she's got her own thoughts to figure out.

They simply must be friends! They have too much in common not to.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #139
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Well of course. Aww, poor Saeryn won't even know what to do. Most likely confide in Eodwine about how different it is to confide in Lin.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #140
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Then go see it! An imitation of Saucie's infamous reactions if ever there was one.

"Me? Married? WHAT!?!?"
I thought Saucy was married.

-- Folwren
Old 03-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #141
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmmmm...... ..... are you sure you want to go there with Saeryn, Fea?

Did they 'roll in the hay', as it were? If so, did the loverboy keep his mouth shut? Was he of lower caste, or the same? It makes a big difference. This is not, obviously, the 21st century, and Rohirric (and Gondorian) folk had drastically different sensibilities about such things. For example, if Saeryn rolled in the hay with a peasant boy, this would be reason enough for her tyrannically unreasonable brother who is lord to get her married off as quick as possible, especially in an age with a dirth of contraception. Or if he was of the Rohirric nobility, then his rolling in the hay has the clear purpose of getting Saeryn pregnant as the first step toward marriage. In the middle ages, young folk "rolled" first, waited to see if she got pregnant, then if she did, they were considered married as of the day of "rolling", and they had the formality later. If Saeryn has run away from a marriage that her brother was forcing on her on these grounds, then Eodwine is suddenly in a rather compromised position as he who will speak for Saeryn. You see, if Saeryn has "rolled" and has withheld this information while accepting Eodwine's oath (not rejecting is tantamount to accepting, by the way), she has presumed too much upon his mercy. Beside all that, if she has rolled, Saeryn, knowing all these things as one who grew up in the middle of this culture, her 'devilish grin' is very much out of character considering how you've described her so far. Or, it is in character and she is not what she has played herself to be.

On the other hand....... if she has not "rolled in the hay" but merely romanced with this young man, then things are only a little embarrassing and the brother lord is still in the wrong, and if he knew, he's overreacting.

Which is it?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #142
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Can we start a Barrow-Downs Dictionary, and add this new definition of "rolled"? It's quite delightful...
Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #143
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's not delightful. At all.

I was curious, though, and am awfully too lazy to go and see in the old Inn - why is Saeryn so sore? Did she break a rib falling out of a loft? I doubt that's the case. . .

And I am going to try to write a post before I leave today. This week is a little different and I'll be here Thursday and Friday, instead of Tuesday and Wednesday. . .but after this week, my schedule will be back to normal.

-- Folwren
Old 03-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #144
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
It's not delightful. At all.
And frankly, a more likely term, being rooted in Anglo-Saxon times, would be "genokt" (as in ..... well, guess), but that's the last I'm going there.

Quote:
I was curious, though, and am awfully too lazy to go and see in the old Inn - why is Saeryn so sore? Did she break a rib falling out of a loft? I doubt that's the case. . .
She fell off a horse back in the days of the Inn. It had been raining and the horse slipped. Saeryn's a good rider. Just one of those things.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #145
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I don't mean delightful as in the connotations and implications are necessarily delightful, I just enjoy the twisting and stretching of words to new meanings, and how they got there. Besides, I have to be flippant...Lin takes herself so seriously I desperately need to be flippant after writing from her perspective.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #146
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

No rolling at all. Saeryn's too much a good girl. Just a few stolen kisses in the stables. Her jerk of a brother found out, over-reacted, sent the offending lower-caste member away and he managed to die... or just disappear from her life. It really doesn't matter which; he's gone. Devilish grin pertaining to the remembrance of those stolen kisses, feelings of guilt due to the fact that the guy was sent away because of it.

And Folwren, Saucie is married and with kids, no less. In the "How Do You Imagine Other BDers" thread, someone described him inaccurately and, according to him, he spewed coffee, he was laughing that hard.

Edit: I edited the post a bit to salvage my lass's reputation. I went back and reread it, wondering just what it was that had come across in my writing. It wasn't supposed to sound nearly that risquè. Saeryn may be a runaway and she's sometimes spontaneous to a fault, but she's still a lady. It's what I get, of course, for posting when I'm exhausted.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 03-06-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #147
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
No rolling at all.

I edited the post a bit to salvage my lass's reputation. I went back and reread it, wondering just what it was that had come across in my writing. It wasn't supposed to sound nearly that risquè. Saeryn may be a runaway and she's sometimes spontaneous to a fault, but she's still a lady. It's what I get, of course, for posting when I'm exhausted.
Thanks for clearing that up, Fea.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #148
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

No problemo. Had to clear it up before anyone who knows she's based directly on me (with a few extra touches) started thinking.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #149
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
... she's based directly on me (with a few extra touches) ...
Really now? Hmmm.... Eodwine's based directly on me ('with a few extra touches'). But isn't that the way a lot of rpg-ing goes (not all but a lot)?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #150
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
But isn't that the way a lot of rpg-ing goes (not all but a lot)?
Mhm. Unless I'm wrong. But I'm never wrong.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #151
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

The rest of it is usually based on how you wish you were...
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #152
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
The rest of it is usually based on how you wish you were...
Ah, that would be the part about Eodwine being tall and handsome and never at a loss for words.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #153
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

hehehe...Lin is tall and slender, rich, and capable of subtlety.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #154
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I think Manawyth is more similar to my Werewolf persona than to me...
Old 03-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #155
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn's about two inches taller than me. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest difference.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #156
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Roleplaying is, I have long held, the ultimate escapism. You can be anyone you want to be, appear any way you want to, and you deal with people who accept that without question.

Only problem with this view is that it sounds awful articulated. I'm going to have to come up with a better way to phrase it.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #157
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Among other things...

Leof isn't a girl.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #158
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm considering ending the current Day soon (say, after everybody gets to do {at least} one more post), and then moving the Time forward one week. Is there anything anybody wants to have happen before I do that? If so, what (in general), and how long Real Time do you need me to delay?

I'll be posting for my set of four characters at least once more before the day's out. After all, Linduial still needs to have a chat with Eodwine .... which could be created via PM, if you're interested, Jenny..... (seems to work amazingly well for good dialogue, etc.).
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #159
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I'm all for it...I used to use AIM to do that, actually, so I understand the value.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #160
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm going to put up a Saeryn post soon (this could be geologically speaking, but I'm going to aim for real-time soon). After that I'm good.