The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2002, 08:06 PM   #41
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

At one point before the warg rider battle, Legolas carries a brown bow, and the next time he's seen, it's white.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:57 PM   #42
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've actually noticed many of these bloopers myself. But something I wanted to say is this: A friend of mine told me that when they were creating the really big battle scenes that the characters were programmed to do certain things. They each had a list of commands they could choose from. According to my friend, a group of orcs ran away-and this was NOT one of their commands. Pretty strange huh? I looked for this both times I saw the movie but the scenes are so fast that I couldn't really tell. Also that some of the creators decided to have some fun and cause someone fighting (I don't remember elf or man or orc) to suddenly stop, put away their weapon, and pull out a cell phone! There is also a pair that simply circle each other through the whole battle. Anyway, these are just things I have heard and haven't yet seen. If anyone see's these things, let me know!<P>*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 09:10 PM   #43
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

A cell phone? I'm not saying anything...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #44
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hey, Marsyas. I think what you heard was a slightly altered version. According to what I've heard from interviews, they had a program which would make every single person in each army act like they would in real life. The first time they matched the orc and elven armies up (for the intro to FOTR), they both just ran away! Perfectly understandable, I wonder why it doesn't happen in real life??
Old 12-30-2002, 11:09 AM   #45
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

the only blooper I noticed was Legolas' eyes and Pippin's hands. Thats quite true, because AFTER he almost got stomped on he went and cut his bonds. Gandalf in tennis shoes? I'll have to look for that next time...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 AM   #46
My Cat Sasha
Animated Skeleton

My Cat Sasha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to My Cat Sasha
Sting

Here are some more obvious ones:<P>How does Faramir know Boromir is dead? They didn't explain that in the movie.<P>Legolas never seems to run out of arrows.<P>None of the torches at Helms Deep go out when it's raining.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:49 PM   #47
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Also, one my sister noticed...<P>When the women and children are in the caves at Helm's Deep, and the army comes up and walks through. (This happensafter Aragorn comes back.) If you watch closely, one of the stalactites on the ceiling of the cave wobbles back and forth.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #48
Nurvilya

Sting

No, Arathiriel, I don't think you were imagining Ganadalf's tennis shoes, I specifically noticed that too--and I didn't catch many other bloopers. I kind of thought that was weird, I mean, his robes were like half a foot above his shoes at that point so you'd think if they had Ian McKellen in tennis shoes they'd at least want to cover it up. I don't think tennis shoes were the main footwear at that time <p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nurvilya ]
Old 12-30-2002, 06:19 PM   #49
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A conversation in Meduseld:<P>Aragorn: "Where's Gandalf? I haven't seen him since breakfast."<BR>Legolas: "Oh, he's just out jogging. Again. He's been madly in love with running ever since he got those Nikes from Galadriel..."
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:20 PM   #50
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Haven't noticed too many yet; there is so much to see the first time. But, Shadowfax definitely has a saddle and ropes every now and again. Just a glimpse though; they did a good job editing that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, Shadowfax was controlled by one white wire around his neck. I saw it in some making-of. Pretty trusting of them...and pretty special for the horse. I ride: it is not easy to control many horses. Well, I suppose that, in order to be a Hollywood horse, you have to be very willing...and I think it's funny that they used a jockey's saddle on Shadowfax so that it would fit almost completely under Sir McKellan's robes.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:25 PM   #51
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are disarmed by Gandalf, Legolas shoots an arrow, Gimli throws his axe, and Aragorn's draws his sword. Gandalf deflects two objects that appear to be the arrow and the axe, but in the next scene Gimli is holding his axe just as before. Does he have two axes?
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:31 PM   #52
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Gimli has many, many axes strapped all over his body. He threw one of the two throwing axes he carries near his back. He still had his big regular axe though...<P>*looks around* Who's seen too many Behind the Scenes shows? Not meeeeee...
Old 12-31-2002, 06:31 PM   #53
michael

Sting

Didn' t anyone noticed that the Frodo and Sm crossed Anduin TWICE, first to be in West Osgiliath (it was west wash' t it?) and then to return to Ithilien to continue their journey to Mordor? Maybe in the extended DVD version we might see them on a boat, but in the film none understood WHERE was that ruined city
Old 01-01-2003, 03:28 AM   #54
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The only one that I noticed, was when Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn are running, trying to track down Merry and Pippin. During one of the sweeping shots, you can see Legolas trip, it is pretty noticeable <p>[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #55
Armani_Elf
Animated Skeleton

Armani_Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

erm.......<BR>All i can say is that...the bloopers on the movies are rather glaring, but we all have to be reminded that the movie does not tell all about the missing horses and other stuff....ah well. the movie rocks, so I wasn't trying to pay attention to any mistakes tho i've seen some. <P>erm...maybe sam has a slight idea about Boromir's death...Maybe Frodo told him about Boromir wanting his ring back in the woods in FOTR, and that kinda sparked Sam the idea that Boromir could've died from trying to steal the ring off......bah!<P>peace
Old 01-01-2003, 08:15 AM   #56
Armani_Elf
Animated Skeleton

Eye

erm.......<BR>All i can say is that...the bloopers on the movies are rather glaring, but we all have to be reminded that the movie does not tell all about the missing horses and other stuff....ah well. the movie rocks, so I wasn't trying to pay attention to any mistakes tho i've seen some. <P>erm...maybe sam has a slight idea about Boromir's death...Maybe Frodo told him about Boromir wanting his ring back in the woods in FOTR, and that kinda sparked Sam the idea that Boromir could've died from trying to steal the ring off......bah!<P>peace
Old 01-02-2003, 02:07 PM   #57
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned is when Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and Gandalf are walking up to King Theoden, the first time, Legolas is linking arms with Gandalf supposedly to make him look old. Once they're inside Legolas lets go, but in the next shot they are back to being linked. I noticed that the first time seeing the movie.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #58
F-16

Pipe

I don't know about anyone else, but i hate all those little minor deatils they changed. For instance at the entmoot, Treebeard says that, the war is not for ents, and that they must weather the storm. In the book they ents get real mad and and attack Saruman right away, without being encouraged by Merry And Pippin. Another thing is with Faramir. He never took them to to Osgiliath. But instead lets them go right away. In the movie he says "tell my father I am bringing a mighty gift". In the book he never says that, in fact Deneathor is mad Faramir did not bring him the "mighty gift".
Old 01-05-2003, 11:40 PM   #59
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the scene where Gimli is explaining why there are misconceptions about there not being any Dwarven Women, Aragon makes a joke about them having beards. He is standing/walking when he makes this comment, the camera pans to someone else then its right back on him, but now he is riding a horse.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If you look again, he is on the horse when he delivers that line.<P>Here's something that no one has noticed yet...<BR>When Aragorn, Theoden, Legolas and Theoden's men are charging the orcs (Forth Eorlingas) and you see the shot from behind as the orcs fall off of the causeway (is that what it's called?) look next to Legolas... Eowyn? Yup, indeed... there is a computer generated Eowyn riding next to Legolas attacking orcs as she goes. <BR>Now, we all know that she was not really there, so perhaps not all of plan "A" was erased.<P>Another one... when Eowyn is telling Theoden that his son is dead she is in a blue dress... minutes later she is with a dead Theodred in her white dress with her hair all down.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #60
Armani_Elf
Animated Skeleton

Sting

okay this might sound ancient....<P>but someone said about aragorn's teleportation when he jumped into the sea of urukhais in halm's deep...and suddenly he was back up there.<P>he didn't teleport. he ran back up.<P>peace
Old 01-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #61
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yay! Someone else noticed the Legolas/Gandalf arm thing that coencides with the staff thing. I thought that was pretty bad. <P>My favorite is when Aragorn yells "Ladders!" and Gimli says "Good!" Aragorn just happened to be speaking elvish right then. Now, I don't know much about Tengwar and Cirth, but they seem really different to me. Not like Spanish, English and French, more like English and Japenese. So I don't think the elvish and dwarvish words could be that similer. Correct me if I'm wrong here. <P>Has anyone watched the Lorien clasps? It'll be interesting to see how many times they change directions.
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #62
F-16

Pipe

Isenna i agree with you all the way. In fact i noticed that myself. I doubt very much wether Gimli speaks Elvish. Although it is plausible that other people in the battle saw the ladders too and shouted. But it seems as though what Gimli says is in direct response to what Aragorn says. <BR>?????????????<BR>Who knows, We'll probably never know unless Peter Jackson gives us a briefing, which is not going to happen, so we'll just have to keep guessing
Old 01-07-2003, 09:22 PM   #63
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Another 'blooper' over Eowyn/Grima scene.......<P>When Grima is trying to woo Eowyn hes looking right and facing her looking left. But when she stomps out of the room, Grima is standing in the place Eowyn was seconds before, and she walks away from his place.<P>Also, I don't know if this is a blooper or not but Gimli had Grima pinned to the floor under his foot. But a little bit later Gimli has him by the back of his robe and Grima is on hands and knees on the floor. How did he wiggle out from under Gimli's foot?<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 01-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #64
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Sometime before christmas Arathiriel wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How the heck do Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli know what the Uruk-Hai are? I mean supposing didn't Saruman breed them especially for the armies of Mordor?<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Didn't Celeborn tell Aragorn about the Uruk-Hai when they were in Lothlorien after Moria in Fotr? Maybe all he said was something about "...orcs bearing the white-hand of Saruman..." But that at least let him know they were Saruman's doing. I don't know if he actually mentioned Uruk-Hai. Does anyone know?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:27 PM   #65
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a blooper from TTT, in Helm's Deep when the Uruk Hai are breaking down the final door and Aragorn and Theoden decide to "ride out and mee them head on" where the hell do their horses come from?? There in a cave for God's sake!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #66
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Didn't Celeborn tell Aragorn about the Uruk-Hai when they were in Lothlorien after Moria in Fotr? Maybe all he said was something about "...orcs bearing the white-hand of Saruman..." But that at least let him know they were Saruman's doing. I don't know if he actually mentioned Uruk-Hai. Does anyone know? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In FotR (possibly just the extended version?), just before the Fellowship leaves Lothlorien, Celeborn tells Aragorn that orcs that could travel by day had been seen on the borders of their realm, ending with the wonderful line "You are being tracked". But I don't think he actually referred to them as Uruk-Hai. Perhaps it means "New, improved Orcs" in the Black Speech.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:22 PM   #67
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did you know that when Aragorn kicks the helm (by the pile of burning orcs) that he yells because he just broke his toe? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is so cool! I remember thinking in the theater, "Damn, that is some powerful yelling!" Now I know why <P>Bloopers? I think the Hasufel-not-being-grey think has been mentioned already... and Legolas was supposed to take the saddle off of Arod... but I was too wrapped up in the movie to look for bloopers. I need to see it again!
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #68
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here are a few things I know and noticed:<P>PJ is one of the Wildmen, and he also throws a stone down at the orcs in Helm's Deep.<P>One of the Rohirrim is wearing sunglasses.<P>Halèth son of Hama is the child of Phillipa Boyens, writer of the film. When you see Halèth, you see a quick shot of a boy standing, hair falling over his eyes - this is Henry, Viggo's son.<P>Viggo breaks his toe, poor Vig!!<P>Bye - Elessar
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:37 PM   #69
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Desipite my above post, I have just been on TheOneRing.net and found out that Calum Gittins plays Haleth son of Hama, is this Phillipa's son or not?
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
Old 01-13-2003, 02:54 PM   #70
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for all the bloopers! (though I haven't had the time to read them all )
Old 01-13-2003, 03:08 PM   #71
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ok, maybe I missed an explanation of this whole "Elven psychic" thing, but here's my opinion. <BR>Haldir: I bring a message from Elrond of Rivendell...(goes on about the old allinces and so on)<BR>Haldir is a Lorien elf, not a Rivendell one... how'd they get the message? Maybe in the same way Elrond is receiving Galadriel's thoughts....
Old 01-13-2003, 05:52 PM   #72
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

It's not really a blooper as such, but did anyone else notice that the scene in TTT where Saruman's Dunlendings attack the village in Rohan was also one of the shots used to portray Sauron's conquest of ME before he was defeated by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men at the beginning of FotR.<P>That's a bit cheap isn't it? They could have shot some different footage.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:55 PM   #73
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the movie, Faramir does tell Frodo and Sam that Boromir is dead, and so, since Frodo had probably told Sam about how Boromir tried to take the ring, Sam put two and two together; and the scripters probably thought we would do the same...maybe hehe, althought it was really obscure. <P>But yeah, just wanted to let everyone know that Faramir did indeed tell Frodo and Sam that Boromis is dead, just because everyone thought is was a huge mistake how Sam knew that Boromir had died.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #74
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Saucepan Man, PJ has been taking parts of film used in FOTR, and he has used them again in TTT There is one scene with loads of Isengard, with exactly the same piece of film AND the same music.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #75
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yeah! I saw that too, I just forgot about it! Reusing scenes. That really ticked me off!<P>About the ladders thing. Perhaps Legolas did teach Gimli some elvish, but 'ladders'? Um, even if he did translate when they were climbing into the trees when they first got to Lorien, do you think Gimli would have remembered it? I doubt it. And he was definetly saying it in direct reply to Aragorn.
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #76
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some of these mistakes aren't necessarily mistakes...Eowyn's dress changing, she could have changed, Legolas holding Gandalf's arm-Gandalf takes his arm away then reaches back to Legolas.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #77
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Didn't Celeborn tell Aragorn about the Uruk-Hai when they were in Lothlorien after Moria in Fotr? Maybe all he said was something about "...orcs bearing the white-hand of Saruman..." But that at least let him know they were Saruman's doing. I don't know if he actually mentioned Uruk-Hai. Does anyone know? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Gandalf knew all about the Uruk-hai thanks to his imprisonment by Saruman (hell, Saruman probably bragged about it). In fact, there is a very obvious scene in Rivendell where he is telling Elrond, "Saruman is breading orcs with goblin men ...". It should be expected that he would have talked to Aragorn about the same thing.<P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #78
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gandalf knew all about the Uruk-hai thanks to his imprisonment by Saruman (hell, Saruman probably bragged about it). In fact, there is a very obvious scene in Rivendell where he is telling Elrond, "Saruman is breading orcs with goblin men ...". It should be expected that he would have talked to Aragorn about the same thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, but Gandalf obviously never saw fit to share this information with the rest of the Fellowship, since (in the extended DVD of FotR), when Celeborn tells Aragorn of orcs that can travel by day, Aragorn does not react as if this is old news. And Celeborn does not, I think, refer to them as Uruk-Hai ...<P>... And what exactly are "goblin men" anyway? I thought that Uruk Hai were orcs crossed with men, plain and simple. If goblins had already been crossed with men, Saruman would not have needed to create the Uruk Hai - just get the goblin men to do a little body building.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:56 PM   #79
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I wouldn't read to much into Aragorn expression with Celeborn. It's not like he would have roled his eyes and said, "thanks, know that". Actually, the information that would have been new to him would have been that there were Uruks right to the borders of Lothlorien.<P>Either way, I think Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas had more then enough information to know that the orcs coming their way in Helm's Deep were "Uruk hai".<P>As for the "goblin men" ... you know it never struck me that way before. I always took it as meaning male goblins as opposed to half-goblins. Anyway, it sounds good. Besides, wasn't that line right out of the book? I would have to check.<P>H.C.<p>[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #80
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Regarding compass directions.<P>It was mentioned that having Eomer say they are riding north after first meeting Aragorn and company is wrong. I don't think it is within the context of the film. For the riders of East Emnet, riding north doesn't mean they're getting out their compasses and going due north (which leads into Fangorn). It means they're going into the Wold and considering they are orc hunting, that is the logical place they would go. I know it will be argued that they should go west to help in the Westfold, but Eomer wasn't there when those two kids arrived to inform them of what was happening that way. Ah, but didn't Theodred die defending the Westfold. You're thinking of the book. In the film it simply says he was ambushed by orcs and it was obvious from the news from the two kids that Theoden did not know about any attacks to the west yet.<P>Now as for Legolas saying the orcs are turning north-east to Isengard when it should have been north-west, I think that is a mistake. Maybe it will be overdubbed for the DVD.<P>H.C.<P>Editted to add: I think East Emnet should be Eastfold. Bloody Rohan geography. <P>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]