The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe What Would Tolkien Do?

Just wondering- what do you think Tolkien would have to say on the topics of the movies, the parodies, fanfics, etc? I don’t mean to make this a Mayhem topic, so please be moderately serious [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Any opinions?

~Menelien
Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I think Tolkien would be excited to know of the time and effort some of us put into this. Then he would read certain posts, and scratch his head, while mumbling something about hoping that we would all find the lives that we discarded somewhere.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I think Tolkien would have been honored to have his books made into movies. Also, he would be happy that they have inspired many to read his books.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think Tolkien would be generally pleased with the overall result in regard to the movies. Of course he would be a little displeased with some of the changes, but then, I think that's to be expected.
Also, I also think that he would be pleased that so many people are interested in his works.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

He'd be horrified at the slash fanfiction (and even some of the non-slash.) I think he'd be insulted by some of the parodies, and only like some pieces of the movies.

~Menelien
Old 05-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Galadriel. He'd be quite shocked, being the old-fashioned guy that he is, and he'd have tons to correct on the movies. And considering the fuss the BDs kicks up over Faramir's character change, I would love to hear what he has to say on the matter! I'm also particularly interested in hearing his views on the movie Arwen.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:02 PM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

And the movie Elrond... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] though I quite liked both him an' Faramir.

~Menelien
Old 05-06-2003, 09:33 PM   #8
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I certainly hope he wouldn't just drop right back into his grave at the sight. The utter mutilation of his epic tale that he worked on for an entire decade, all down the drain to be replaced by Orlie lovers and cape wearing weirdos (no offence).

I suppose I'm getting to be a bit too rude on this topic. I need to remind myself to shut up more often.

Iarwain
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #9
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

lol... I bet he'd despise most fanfiction, although I've read some things about hobbits I bet he'd at least find tolerable.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:18 AM   #10
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I think the good professor would find Sharku's "Tales from Tol Eressëa" to be most admirable. They do justice to Tolkien's legacy.

I believe he would be rather excited about the New Silm. project and The new complete Tolkien Guide that lindil, I and a few others are working on.

In short, I believe he'd be most pleased with some of our attempts to expand and catagorize his works.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 AM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

He'd flip at Dude, Where's My Ring though! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sophia- I like the avatar.

Also- if my posts just now aren't too intelligent (that is, less than usual), it's "only" becuase it's 2:30 am here, and I've got insomnia [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-09-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Having just re-read the letters, & his criticism of the proposed 1950's animated movie, I have to say that a lot of the things he criticised in that treatment - the focus on violence, the breking up of Frodo & Sam's story, which he felt should be depicted as in the book, a single continuous narrative, seem to apply to what we've been given in the current movies. Like Iarwain, I don't think he would have approved of the movies. He put so much work into the tales that to have them so simplified & reduced to what in my opinion, as I've said before, is a 'sub Dungeons & Dragons slash fest' would have simply reinforced his low opinion of modern culture. The other issue is that Tolkien didn't agree with the dramatisation of Fairy Tales/Fantasy (see On Fairy Stories)

He also seemed to be quite negative about fans, & fan groups. There's the account, in Carpenter's biography, I think, where he was told about a young man who loved LotR so much that as soon as he finished it he would start reading it all over again, & Tolkien is supposed to have said 'I've ruined their lives.'

Personally, I think he would have felt sad that there was so little else that could move & inspire people, & wished there was more of the kind of thing he loved & wrote by other writers.

There is the question though, would he have approved of all the unfinished work being published?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:00 AM   #13
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The way the movie was changed so much from the books would probably kill him again.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #14
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree, though I think Peter Jackson would be the kind of director who would have consulted Tokien while writing the screenplay(At least, I hope he's that kind of director). I wish Tolkien had been around to consult with, maybe some things(like a certain Faramir) would have stayed constant with the book.

Namarie
Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 AM   #15
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, I agree with all of you. I wonder what Tolkien would think of the Downs, though... (we'd hide the mayhem section [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

~Menelien
Old 05-12-2003, 12:40 PM   #16
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I think he might have liked some of the topics in the books section, and answered them. Wouldn't that be really cool... *sigh, wishful thinking*

~Menelien
Old 05-16-2003, 07:13 AM   #17
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But what if he hated the films so much, that would kill poor Pete Jackson. It would be like a hero calling you worthless to your face.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:56 AM   #18
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My opinion is that he'd have no opinion on us. Why? Well, being the old fashioned guy he is, he wouldnt like (or know how to get on) the internet. thus we would be saved!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:09 PM   #19
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think Tolkien would have been quite pleased to have so many *fans*! Don't you think? I mean, I would! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Well, yes, I would generally think so too, but, as some people mentioned, Tolkien was a very old-fashioned man and I'm not sure hed really like this kind of attention... and think what would happen if he met a Leggy-bopper! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-23-2003, 11:47 AM   #21
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, I guess he would be outraged at the Leggy-boppers, but he would probably be honored at the serious fans like most of us here on Barrow-downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #22
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Out of interest, why are they called leggy-boppers? what is a bopper? i have never fuly understood this. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Ha ha Leggy-boppers...I've never heard that before. Seriously though I think Tolkien would have been honoured with those of us "serious" fans of the books, and not those who became LotR fanatics because of Legolas or Aragorn in the movie. Not that there's anything wrong with that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . I agree with some of the other posts that he wouldn't have liked the movies. He probably thought that they tampered with details to much.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #24
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

From what I've read about Tolkien he would have thought all of us ought to "get a life" but would have said it more politely. He might have appreciated serious discussion and criticism and might have liked that some have bothered to learn his invented languages. I think he was quite uncomfortable with fame and that may explain some of his negative reaction to film versions of his stories.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:32 PM   #25
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I think he would just screem "What!!! What (his face will look like this ---> [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) what have you people done to my work?? And run away and never be sen again!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:45 PM   #26
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

You're a funny one too Niluial [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I think he would just silently nod his head and say losers underneath his breath... probably in Sindarin too.

But really, I doubt anyone could do anything but marvel at such a fellowship his works have created here, not even the creator himself.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:59 PM   #27
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, at this forum, for example, I think he might have liked some of the topics in Books... but not much else.
guy who be short- I have no idea where the term came from. Taking it apart, Leggy=obvious, bopper= well, bopping is an old slang term for fighting (like rumbling), but I have no idea what that could have to do with... them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #28
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I believe the term is a mutilated form of *Teenie Bopper* It was just transformed to put someone in the category of being an overly obsessive, ditsy, Legolas (or the actor playing=Orlando Bloom) fanatic.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:36 PM   #29
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

This is going off topic, so let's return to it, but then where did teeny bopper come from? It's not like we/they (according to which definition you use, we if it's everybody under 16, they if its actor obsessors) beat teeny people up... anyhow, imagine what would happen if Tolkien saw the Crazy Scenes With Pics thread!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 AM   #30
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

About all the "LotR is heretic," i believe that Tolkien would ignore these things and continue going to church like a good catholic.

*after posting at the heretic board
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:46 AM   #31
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
imagine what would happen if Tolkien saw the Crazy Scenes With Pics thread!!
Oh my, I don't think I'd like to see his reaction. He'll probably laugh his brains off!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Or maybe worse??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:25 AM   #32
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think he'd probably laugh, then go off muttering "losers" under his breath in all the languages he knew. Which would be a LOT!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #33
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think he would be damn proud about he's fans who have poped out of everywhere like mushrooms after a good rain . [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 02:50 AM   #34
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
I think he'd probably laugh, then go off muttering "losers" under his breath in all the languages he knew.
Or maybe he'd start making direct translations of every four-letter word known to the English language and drop them in every once in a while if he ever had the chance to post. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote